You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 2:29pm
Still has a play off coming up too. 

Very good judge of all things English lower level footy told me a few weeks ago he reckons Connell will be a Championship footballer regardless of them going up or not. Hope he’s right. 
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 2:44pm
Connell looks a lot to me like Kilkenny and they both resemble Hourihane.
In so far as they are not massively mobile but are good passers.
I'm being simplistic, but if all three were the same age, Hourihane (on this past season) would be the best of them.

I guess the main point is that the two lads are young and may still develop, but that's where I see them as it stands.

Happy to be ridiculed on this.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 4:49pm
It was just a flash in pan at Bolton though!
We're decent enough..
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 5:17pm
It will be revealing to see what interest, if any, he gets from better teams than Barnsley.
He's done all he can this season to seal a better move so fair play to him.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Connell was given the young player of the season award for Barnsley.

I still feel he'll be a senior international and was totally wasted at Celtic, a graveyard for Irish youngsters

Roca Vatta was playing for them at 17 and is getting a run out these days.

If your good enough you'll get your chance.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I still feel he'll be a senior international and was totally wasted at Celtic, a graveyard for Irish youngsters

Far too simplistic and paying no value to development tiers & strategy. Also the fact that players develop differently. Ignorant statement 

Like Cullen was good enough so West Ham gave him a chance is it  ??
Did Denis Irwin get his chance at Leeds  ?
De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?
Or a thousand other examples 

Muppet

Edited by Scissors Kick - 10 May 2023 at 8:14pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Connell looks a lot to me like Kilkenny and they both resemble Hourihane.
In so far as they are not massively mobile but are good passers.
I'm being simplistic, but if all three were the same age, Hourihane (on this past season) would be the best of them.

I guess the main point is that the two lads are young and may still develop, but that's where I see them as it stands.

Happy to be ridiculed on this.

Think this lads in general a more deeper lying CM then Hourihane. Be interesting to see what happens. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Far too simplistic and paying no value to development tiers & strategy. Also the fact that players develop differently. Ignorant statement 

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

No need to personally attack someone because you disagree with them, knock that on the head 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:49pm

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

Way too simplistic and Vatas contract still hasn’t been renewed due to expire in 12 months. 

Again call me cynical but I just don’t trust Celtic in terms of player development. Actually screw that factual evidence shows the way they manage their Academy is atrocious. 

My issue with Connell is the lack of effort/plan to develop him to the point he might eventually be ready. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

Way too simplistic and Vatas contract still hasn’t been renewed due to expire in 12 months. 

Again call me cynical but I just don’t trust Celtic in terms of player development. Actually screw that factual evidence shows the way they manage their Academy is atrocious. 

My issue with Connell is the lack of effort/plan to develop him to the point he might eventually be ready. 

The proof is in the pudding alright, every young Irish player who has left Celtic in recent years has developed more at their new clubs in a short space of time than they did over multiple seasons with Celtic. Even the worst of the bunch, Afolabi, has made himself a key player for a table topping Bohs side.
We're decent enough..
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

The proof is in the pudding alright, every young Irish player who has left Celtic in recent years has developed more at their new clubs in a short space of time than they did over multiple seasons with Celtic. Even the worst of the bunch, Afolabi, has made himself a key player for a table topping Bohs side.

Look Afolabi wasn’t likely good enough even with Connell every chance he wasn’t remotely ready. 

It was the lack of effort to develop Connell in particular was the issue. It’s happened with high profile Scottish talents too like Ben Doak. These players and the people around them are not stupid they see this too. 

With Vatas contract not signed yet and still an issue for them again I’m not saying he should leave Celtic myself no opinion on it but it’s telling the contract has been up in the air for many months and I would view his first team minutes in the context of that.

Edited by kevin100 - 10 May 2023 at 9:17pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:25pm

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

Look Afolabi wasn’t likely good enough even with Connell every chance he wasn’t remotely ready. 

It was the lack of effort to develop Connell in particular was the issue. It’s happened with high profile Scottish talents too like Ben Doak. These players and the people around them are not stupid they see this too. 

With Vatas contract not signed yet and still an issue for them again I’m not saying he should leave Celtic myself no opinion on it but it’s telling the contract has been up in the air for many months and I would view his first team minutes in the context of that.

I was reading an article about Liam Morrison the other day and the tone of part of it was that if he'd stayed with Celtic he'd probably be playing in the Lowland league now. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:13am

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

With Celtic there was just too many players ahead of him, a lot of Celtic fans are bewildered that he didn't get an opportunity. As he was over looked by a number of managers.  But the reality is that if you are good enough you will get our chance.

Connell is no loss to Celtic. But it's great to see him doing well at Barnsley.

Chelsea are a completely different animal, so it's not a fair comparison. 

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:16am

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

Afolabi is nowhere near good enough to play for Celtic. Celtic are a much bigger side than Bohs with a much bigger squad. It's inevitable that he will do a lot better at a lower level.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:26am

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

Any chance it's Vata who is delaying the signing of a new contract, rather than Celtic stalling over offering him one - I'd be very surprised indeed if Celtic didnt want to keep him, but not so surprised if the lad himself wants to keep his options open. Vata is very good, he looked the best of our highly touted U19 attacking players in the last tournament imo, much better than Zefi for example. He has already been handed first team opportunities at Celtic at the tender age of 17 (he turned 18 last month), so I dont think there are any real similarities with the Connell situation at Celtic. 

It should also be pointed out that Connell failed to really shine in an extended loan period at Queens Park. Maybe he just wasnt ready and that experience has enabled him to kick on this season at Barnsley. I like Connell, he has a very good left foot which is always coveted by clubs. It will be interesting to see how he gets on next season, hopefully in the Championship. There is room in our squad for a deep lying playmaker.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:39am

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

Afolabi is nowhere near good enough to play for Celtic. Celtic are a much bigger side than Bohs with a much bigger squad. It's inevitable that he will do a lot better at a lower level.

I know he's not, I very clearly said he's the worst of the bunch. My point is that Celtic still did absolutely nothing to develop him in his time there. Even if a player is ultimately not good enough, they should still be improved by a good youth set up. Celtic have done the exact opposite with numerous Irish players.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:54am
He spent most of his time at Queens Park to be fair and as John Nice said above, he failed to shine there for whatever reason.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:06am

De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?

Muppet

Jaysus who p1ssed in your Cornflakes yesterday morning?
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 35>
  Share Topic