You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 3:00pm
Michael Duff has recently taken over as manager there. Won League Two with Cheltenham in 20/21, and finished 15th last season which was their highest ever finish in the EFL. Supposedly a decent young manager and tries to have his team's play ball.
Sponsored Links

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 3:22pm
Barnsley is a good place to play these days. They are picking very progressive managers.
Hopefully Irish players have their eyes fully opened now about going to Celtic.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Michael Duff has recently taken over as manager there. Won League Two with Cheltenham in 20/21, and finished 15th last season which was their highest ever finish in the EFL. Supposedly a decent young manager and tries to have his team's play ball.

Am I right in saying Jake Doyle Hayes excelled in midfield for Cheltenham that season and they were keen to get him back and he eventually settled for Scotland. Nice to know another young Irish midfielder who likes to get his foot on the ball did well with him. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 3:50pm
Good move for him. Was reading the article and thought I was about to see he had signed permanent for Queen of the South or something but Barnsley is a decent level club. Back to L1 level is not a bad place to be
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Am I right in saying Jake Doyle Hayes excelled in midfield for Cheltenham that season and they were keen to get him back and he eventually settled for Scotland. Nice to know another young Irish midfielder who likes to get his foot on the ball did well with him. 

He was there alright but for the 19/20 season which was Duff's second season there and they finished fourth but Covid put an end to that season early and they lost in the play off semi final.

Dan Crowley was there last season for a few months so he's definitely fancied midfielders who like to play ball. If Barnsley give him time he'll do a good job there.

Hopefully William Hondermarck benefits from the change in manager next season too.
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 10:07pm
Barnsley beat Middlesbrough 0-1 with Luca Connell starting and playing the 90 mins.

Admittedly probably not Middlesbroughs first 11 but still a massive boost for connell who was playing part timers for queen's Park when on loan from celtic.

Might get his career back on track 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 10:36pm
Reports from the opening league matches have it that he is playing well.
Was on the bench for the 2nd match, but introduced early due to injury and had a good game.

Always thought he was a tidy player, but a lack of pace and size would stop him reaching any great heights.
He strikes me as a similar player to Kilkenny now he's being deployed deeper.
I'd say Connell could be playing himself back into the next 21's camp as decent backup to the central pairing.

Have Hondermark there also, but he's been limited to the bench for the most part.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 10:44pm
based on the stats it seems he did well tonight, good to see him playing again after wasting a few years at celtic sadly
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:56pm
Played 90mins in a dominant Barnsley display that seen his team win 3-0.
Fans saying every player was great in the team. 

Looking very positive for the young irish lad and miles from the cesspool that is celtic.

Keeping Hondermarck out of the first 11 the only.downside.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:48am
Amazing the amount of individuals that convince themselves it's all one bit coincidence these lads just rot in the Academy and dont make it!

Connell wasted 3 years of his career there and is now hopefully getting it back on track! Still only 21 amazingly despite all this so is lucky he has time!
Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 3:40pm
What is it about Celtic that this keep happening to young Irish talent going there? When was the last time we had a decent youngster go to Celtic and make it?
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Amazing the amount of individuals that convince themselves it's all one bit coincidence these lads just rot in the Academy and dont make it!

Connell wasted 3 years of his career there and is now hopefully getting it back on track! Still only 21 amazingly despite all this so is lucky he has time!

still crazy to me he never even made a single competitive appearance.. looking at the squads from the years he was there its crazy some of the dross that got a few games (jonjoe kenny, liam shaw, osaze urgohide, moritz bauer, etc) and he didn't ever play. also the loans at such a low level (scottish 4th tier and scottish 3rd tier) were also useless. i like to see celtic do well but hopefully johnny kenny, lawal, and vata dont make the same mistakes because playing for celtic b in the 5th tier is useless for their development, complete waste of time
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:14pm
Connell is a central midfielder, those players above are defenders.

JJ Kenny has 50 games in the EPL under his belt too, also a full season in the Bundesliga too. Hardly a good comparison

2 Celtic managers ultimately felt that there were just more players ahead of him. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is.

Good to see him doing well all the same.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

JJ Kenny has 50 games in the EPL under his belt too, also a full season in the Bundesliga too. Hardly a good comparison

2 Celtic managers ultimately felt that there were just more players ahead of him. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is.

liam shaw is a midfielder and if you want another example, joey dawson another midfielder who at least appeared for them in a competitive game during the period that connell never did. im not saying he was good enough but it def was unlikely that'd he not even play once given the hype when he signed, prev first team football with bolton, was in the irish senior squad.

as for kenny, those 50 games are across 7 seasons, and the reason i offered him (plus the others) as examples is because he is one of the most memorably bad celtic players in recent seasons. not saying they're similar. just pointing out, as i said in the post, that in that time many players who were extraordinarily bad (kenny) or unheralded/forgettable and haven't done anything since (liam shaw) still got a game when connell never did. happy to see him playing and doing well for barnsley of course
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

liam shaw is a midfielder and if you want another example, joey dawson another midfielder who at least appeared for them in a competitive game during the period that connell never did. im not saying he was good enough but it def was unlikely that'd he not even play once given the hype when he signed, prev first team football with bolton, was in the irish senior squad.

as for kenny, those 50 games are across 7 seasons, and the reason i offered him (plus the others) as examples is because he is one of the most memorably bad celtic players in recent seasons. not saying they're similar. just pointing out, as i said in the post, that in that time many players who were extraordinarily bad (kenny) or unheralded/forgettable and haven't done anything since (liam shaw) still got a game when connell never did. happy to see him playing and doing well for barnsley of course

I don't even mind the fact he never made an appearance for them. It's the lack of effort to develop him loaning him to Queens Park twice was disgraceful and whoever is representing Connell should be ashamed of.themselves for letting it happen! 

He could easily have been loaned out to a League 1 team or lower level Scottish Premier League team the first season he came in don't mind the next two! They handled his development disgracefully. 

As for Johnny Kenny another ridiculous situation lad could be at Sligo as the focal point week in week out playing football could easily be on course for a 20 goal season given his ability. A 19yo striker scoring goals like he did in his first year at 17yo would attract proper attention full stop regardless of the level! Instead rotting in the Lowland Leagues not even loaned out! Rocco Vata is 17yo so has time on his side yet. 

Edited by kevin100 - 17 Aug 2022 at 9:20pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:12pm

Barnsley fans are very pleased with him so far. Good to see

El Puto Amo
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

still crazy to me he never even made a single competitive appearance.. looking at the squads from the years he was there its crazy some of the dross that got a few games (jonjoe kenny, liam shaw, osaze urgohide, moritz bauer, etc) and he didn't ever play. also the loans at such a low level (scottish 4th tier and scottish 3rd tier) were also useless. i like to see celtic do well but hopefully johnny kenny, lawal, and vata dont make the same mistakes because playing for celtic b in the 5th tier is useless for their development, complete waste of time

Kenny has already made the mistake by joining Celtic - he had another good option that offered a much better path to first team football and turned it down to join Celtic.
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 11:20am
I can’t believe he didn’t play competitively at Celtic. I saw him pre season against hibs last year and he was absolute quality . Some very strange things going on at Celtic . A graveyard for young talent 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 35>
  Share Topic