Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Get accused of being racist for implying that a player playing in a league similar in quality to the Dublin District Schoolboys League might be overrated.

Meanwhile on page 4 of the Liam Kelly thread, there's a link to a tweet Kelly sent referring to "English players like him being ran from the PL by foreign players".

It's like something from Inception.

Kelly just as highly rated as Connell and now a squad player at Rochdale. You'd think there's a lesson in there about strapping a rocketship to every single eligible player who briefly impresses, or plays, at Championship level.

I don't think Kelly was hyped up at all, he was very good in the Championship for a few seasons and the fact that was acknowledged hardly represents undeserved praised. A bad bit of luck with Stam being sacked just after he signed for Feyenoord certainly has derailed his career, that happens to some players, c'est la vie.

In saying all that, what on earth does Liam Kelly have to do with Luca Connell other than them being English born (and thus you having a burning desire for them to be failures)? 
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Get accused of being racist for implying that a player playing in a league similar in quality to the Dublin District Schoolboys League might be overrated.

Meanwhile on page 4 of the Liam Kelly thread, there's a link to a tweet Kelly sent referring to "English players like him being ran from the PL by foreign players".

Kelly just as highly rated as Connell and now a squad player at Rochdale. You'd think there's a lesson in there about strapping a rocketship to every single eligible player who briefly impresses, or plays, at Championship level.

I don't think Kelly was hyped up at all, he was very good in the Championship for a few seasons and the fact that was acknowledged hardly represents undeserved praised. A bad bit of luck with Stam being sacked just after he signed for Feyenoord certainly has derailed his career, that happens to some players, c'est la vie.

In saying all that, what on earth does Liam Kelly have to do with Luca Connell other than them being English born (and thus you having a burning desire for them to be failures)? 

We've been through this before. It's not so much that I hate English-born players as it is you have an obsession with them and you're incredibly sensitive to any criticism, or anything that isn't utter adulation, of them, especially from me for some reason.

A few seasons is generous BTW. He was alright for a few months and of course this led to calls for him to start for us, even though he was holding out for England at the time, but sure when has that stopped anyone? 

"Bad bit of luck". LOL

Dutch journalists and Feyenoord fans agreed he was a daft signing by Stam and completely out of his depth at a club that size but, yeah, bad luck, sure.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 4:37pm

We've been through this before. It's not so much that I hate English-born players as it is you have an obsession with them and you're incredibly sensitive to any criticism, or anything that isn't utter adulation, of them, especially from me for some reason.

A few seasons is generous BTW. He was alright for a few months and of course this led to calls for him to start for us, even though he was holding out for England at the time, but sure when has that stopped anyone? 

"Bad bit of luck". LOL

Dutch journalists and Feyenoord fans agreed he was a daft signing by Stam and completely out of his depth at a club that size but, yeah, bad luck, sure.

"He was alright for a few months" - Kelly played 82 games for Reading in the Championship across 3 seasons, so yet again you choose to lie and hope no one corrects you for whatever reason....

Back to Luca Connell anyway, he's not going to get a chance at Celtic but there's a good player there, hopefully he gets a permanent move this Summer and builds from there.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 4:43pm

"Bad bit of luck". LOL

"He was alright for a few months" - Kelly played 82 games for Reading in the Championship across 3 seasons, so yet again you choose to lie and hope no one corrects you for whatever reason....

Back to Luca Connell anyway, he's not going to get a chance at Celtic but there's a good player there, hopefully he gets a permanent move this Summer and builds from there.

Where's the lie? I said myself he looked good for a few months. And that's all it took for people to start calling for him to be in squads. He took time to settle in and adapt, had a rocky start, had a few poor patches, was in and out, and his form declined towards the end of his spell at Reading, before nosediving elsewhere. He wasn't the model of perfect consistency for 82 games.

There's a hint in there somewhere re: him not nailing down any one set position at Reading, or even up to now, at Rochdale.

Now back to the likes of Connell and Hodge and all the other fashionable players whose threads are updated every time they break wind.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 17 May 2022 at 4:46pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 5:09pm

"Bad bit of luck". LOL

Where's the lie? I said myself he looked good for a few months. And that's all it took for people to start calling for him to be in squads. He took time to settle in and adapt, had a rocky start, had a few poor patches, was in and out, and his form declined towards the end of his spell at Reading, before nosediving elsewhere. He wasn't the model of perfect consistency for 82 games.

There's a hint in there somewhere re: him not nailing down any one set position at Reading, or even up to now, at Rochdale.

Now back to the likes of Connell and Hodge and all the other fashionable players whose threads are updated every time they break wind.

Kelly was involved in 35 squads for Rochdale this year and played 30 times, so again, the claim that he struggled to establish himself is, surprise surprise, nonsense.

It's ironic he is the distraction strategy you chose to extricate yourself from more nonsense claims regarding Connell, because he too is a player that if you actually just watched (rather than deciding he has to be sh*t because he was born in Basingstoke) is clearly quite a good footballer. Again, like Connell, he does have his physical limitations (he's 5'4, lightweight, and injury prone), but the technique is still clearly there for anyone without a pre-ordained agenda. It's pitiful that a players birthplace is the singular factor that makes you incapable of acknowledging any of these things, but some things never change.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 5:27pm

"Bad bit of luck". LOL

Kelly was involved in 35 squads for Rochdale this year and played 30 times, so again, the claim that he struggled to establish himself is, surprise surprise, nonsense.

It's ironic he is the distraction strategy you chose to extricate yourself from more nonsense claims regarding Connell, because he too is a player that if you actually just watched (rather than deciding he has to be sh*t because he was born in Basingstoke) is clearly quite a good footballer. Again, like Connell, he does have his physical limitations (he's 5'4, lightweight, and injury prone), but the technique is still clearly there for anyone without a pre-ordained agenda. It's pitiful that a players birthplace is the singular factor that makes you incapable of acknowledging any of these things, but some things never change.

24 starts out of a possible 35, and simply not making the bench in other games, and playing in several positions when he does play, doesn't read as someone establishing themselves to me. Sounds like you're the one who's talking, surprise surprise, absolute nonsense.

Once again, Connell's birthplace has nothing to do with it and you're just engaging in the usual race-baiting whenever I don't lavish an eligible player with praise.

You're just deciding Connell is better than he is without even watching him play just because he broke through in a Bolton side by default because they had about 15 players registered and because he scores a load of goals in an amateur league when that isn't even his remit as a defensive midfielder.

If he was that good, he would've got picked up by a team higher up the pyramid after his first loan spell, or if the links with Tottenham! we're genuine, he wouldn't have even had to go to a Scottish team on loan in the first place; he would've had his pick of teams.

But, no, it must be that Celtic have it out for Connell. And Afolabi. And O'Connor. And Coffey.

Couldn't possibly be that the player isn't as good as we first thought (see Crowley, Kelly, countless others). It must be a papal conspiracy.
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 7:05pm
Decent attempt HH. This time though I think you've gone a bit too far on misinterpreting. Makes it a bit obvious
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 8:25am
He couldn't maintain the high intensity training Ange put in place since day one

He just doesn't have the engine, a real pity - hopefully he still comes good at a higher level but can't see it being with Celtic

Edited by tonyjaa - 18 May 2022 at 8:28am
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 3:51pm
"Ireland U21 midfielder Luca Connell has been released by Celtic after spending three years in their academy. He was playing Championship football with Bolton before joining the Scottish champions. Let's hope he gets back to that level in the near future."

Smashing move that was

Edited by Nialler - 03 Jun 2022 at 3:53pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 4:02pm
Interesting to see where he goes.
If he gets a decent team and starts playing well, we can add to the debate that Celtic is a dead-end for many of our young talent.

If, on the other hand, he vanishes without a trace...
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 4:25pm
Thought he had another year but it turned out the last year was just an option on his contract. He wasn't good enough for Celtic but having gone out and signed him they could have done a lot more to help his development. It kind of annoys me that Coleman and Duffy apparently encouraged him to choose Celtic, I wonder would Duffy still give that advice if Connell was approaching him today rather than 3 years ago.

You'd have to think the three lost years will limit what he can achieve now but hopefully a lower league English team might see him as a low risk, low cost option and maybe help him rebuild his career.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 4:35pm
Okoflex has done well since going to West Ham, he’s been on their bench and is reportedly seen by them as first team material. I can’t see Connell getting a PL break like that but good luck to him, there was a lot of interest in him from other clubs before he signed for Celtic.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 4:52pm
Best of luck to him
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 5:57pm
Should look at some clubs in League One that try and pass the ball around. Matt O'Riley was highly rated at Fulham and watched by Premier League clubs but walked on a free to drop down and play ball with MK Dons to get first team experience.

Most important thing is he joins somewhere he'll be playing regularly and anything in the EFL will be a higher level than what he's played up in Scotland. Could play in the National League and still achieve that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 2:52pm
Linked with Fleetwood Town in reputable sources.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 1:50pm

Linked with Fleetwood Town in reputable sources.
where would Luca be now if he hadnt moved to Celtic and burned three years out of his career.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 2:41pm
Has joined Barnsley
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 2:47pm
I have no idea whether he'll be good enough or not, but that seems like a much better place for him to be than Celtic. Barnsley usually run a tight enough squad so he should get some opportunities to play at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>
  Share Topic