You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:22am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Connell was given the young player of the season award for Barnsley.

I still feel he'll be a senior international and was totally wasted at Celtic, a graveyard for Irish youngsters

Roca Vatta was playing for them at 17 and is getting a run out these days.

If your good enough you'll get your chance.

Far too simplistic and paying no value to development tiers & strategy. Also the fact that players develop differently. Ignorant statement 

Like Cullen was good enough so West Ham gave him a chance is it  ??
Did Denis Irwin get his chance at Leeds  ?
De Bruyne at Chelsea   ?
Or a thousand other examples 

Muppet

Way too simplistic and Vatas contract still hasn’t been renewed due to expire in 12 months. 

Again call me cynical but I just don’t trust Celtic in terms of player development. Actually screw that factual evidence shows the way they manage their Academy is atrocious. 

My issue with Connell is the lack of effort/plan to develop him to the point he might eventually be ready. 

The proof is in the pudding alright, every young Irish player who has left Celtic in recent years has developed more at their new clubs in a short space of time than they did over multiple seasons with Celtic. Even the worst of the bunch, Afolabi, has made himself a key player for a table topping Bohs side.

Look Afolabi wasn’t likely good enough even with Connell every chance he wasn’t remotely ready. 

It was the lack of effort to develop Connell in particular was the issue. It’s happened with high profile Scottish talents too like Ben Doak. These players and the people around them are not stupid they see this too. 

With Vatas contract not signed yet and still an issue for them again I’m not saying he should leave Celtic myself no opinion on it but it’s telling the contract has been up in the air for many months and I would view his first team minutes in the context of that.

Any chance it's Vata who is delaying the signing of a new contract, rather than Celtic stalling over offering him one - I'd be very surprised indeed if Celtic didnt want to keep him, but not so surprised if the lad himself wants to keep his options open. Vata is very good, he looked the best of our highly touted U19 attacking players in the last tournament imo, much better than Zefi for example. He has already been handed first team opportunities at Celtic at the tender age of 17 (he turned 18 last month), so I dont think there are any real similarities with the Connell situation at Celtic. 

It should also be pointed out that Connell failed to really shine in an extended loan period at Queens Park. Maybe he just wasnt ready and that experience has enabled him to kick on this season at Barnsley. I like Connell, he has a very good left foot which is always coveted by clubs. It will be interesting to see how he gets on next season, hopefully in the Championship. There is room in our squad for a deep lying playmaker.

100% it is Vatas side stalling on the contract. Point is you can hardly blame them for being sceptical. 

Of course Celtic want to tie him down but once they have him tied down will they make the effort to develop him properly/give him gametime.

Anyways Connell at Celtic is done now he’s had a brilliant season at Barnsley and is back on track. Hopefully he goes up a division next season. 
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:50pm

He spent most of his time at Queens Park to be fair and as John Nice said above, he failed to shine there for whatever reason.

He failed to shine so much they took him on loan for a 2nd season,  played him in every game, and got 2 promotions in a row?

It says all you need to know about Celtics youth system that they're even leaving the development of clearly talented young players to sides like Queens Park, it's simply not up to scratch.
We're decent enough..
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:09pm
2 successful loans at Queens Park, where people coming up with idea he failed to shine? Afolabi struggled badly on loan but Connell stood out as he should have done at that level
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:22pm

He spent most of his time at Queens Park to be fair and as John Nice said above, he failed to shine there for whatever reason.

He failed to shine so much they took him on loan for a 2nd season,  played him in every game, and got 2 promotions in a row?

It says all you need to know about Celtics youth system that they're even leaving the development of clearly talented young players to sides like Queens Park, it's simply not up to scratch.

Just going on what John says to be fair.

All I know he was wasn't good enough for Celtic.

It's just amazing how precious you are when it comes to any sort of negative comments about an Irish player LOL

Edited by horsebox - 11 May 2023 at 2:26pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:25pm

I think there is a decent chance he might end up being good enough for Celtic - I think that's the point people are trying to make here. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I think there is a decent chance he might end up being good enough for Celtic - I think that's the point people are trying to make here. 

Maybe.
But this happens everywhere. The bigger the club the harder it is to break through.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:47pm

It's just amazing how precious you are when it comes to any sort of negative comments about an Irish player LOL

The argument isn't whether any of them were good enough for Celtic though, the argument is about whether Celtic did the best they could have at developing any of them to their full potential. I think the answer to that is clearly no, their youth structures simply aren't any good.

Edited by The O'Shea - 11 May 2023 at 2:48pm
We're decent enough..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:57pm

This is spot-on about Celtic's youth system, unfortunately.  

Even more so now, as they've gone for a policy that mostly emphasises buying older ready-made players for the first-team, rather than feeding players through from the youth team.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:22pm

players get loaned from bigger teams to lesser ones because the clubs feel they are ready for first team football and have outgrown the academy structure. are you seriously suggesting celtic should have kept a hold of him instead of sending him out on loan? 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

players get loaned from bigger teams to lesser ones because the clubs feel they are ready for first team football and have outgrown the academy structure. are you seriously suggesting celtic should have kept a hold of him instead of sending him out on loan? 
Connell was playing first team football when Celtic signed him. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

I'm seriously suggesting that they should have put a better plan in place for his development than farming him out to a Scottish 4th division side, yes.
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 5:00am

Maybe.
But this happens everywhere. The bigger the club the harder it is to break through.

I think that's the overlooked part of players going there. The pressure on a Celtic or Rangers player is probably unlike anything else because if you don't at least win the league, then it's a complete failure. Very few managers will throw a young player into that, unless they're ridiculously talented.

Regardless of the state of Celtic's academy, that should be the biggest red flag to any young player thinking of going there. It's why Ferguson went to Brighton instead of United, Liverpool, etc.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 9:53am
the problem with Celtic's youth system is most lads that are in the B team are playing against clubs with semi pro set ups - they are basically playing against sides that some of whom would be the same standard as the leinster senior league (lowland league is the equivalent) , if you are lucky you might step up and get a loan period to say championship level but the reality is alot don't and it's pretty much game over , i have seen it so may times over the years.
royal rover
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 10:04pm
The last 20 or so posts should be mandatory reading for any promising Irish player looking to move from a strong background to Celtic 

The "pull of the heart-strings", affinity with Ireland thing is not a reason for a young player to go there. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 8:48am
Seems that Vata is doing alright, doubt he would agree.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:09am
He also seems to be running down his contract though. I'd say they might be a lot less focused on giving him first team game time if they had him tied to a four year deal. It will be interesting to see what happens to him next season if he signs a new contract - loan to the Scottish lower leagues would be my guess.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 11:23am
I'll ask his Ma!

She does be posting on some of the Ireland groups on Facebook. I can't remember which ones now but I did see her commenting before.

Edit - she does be posting on the Eire Guide page.

Edited by horsebox - 13 May 2023 at 11:32am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 1:52pm

he was their joint top scorer last season as they got promoted
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 35>
  Share Topic