FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luca Connell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 3:24pm
Forgot this was on today. Lovely
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 2:31pm
They've just showed a cracking goal from Luca earlier in the season.

Good luck to him today.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 2:28pm
Big 90mins or possibly 120 for Luca as he starts in the League One playoff final.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 8:39am
Luka has it, while a lot more heralded “young lads” have been flittering in/ out of teams for one reason or another this kid has played every week and impacts games constantly. Thankfully he’s away from the dark hole that is Celtic and thriving now. 
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:54pm
https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1659670101614813185

Comes across very well in this interview after the match this evening.
IrishMac View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IrishMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:47pm
Fantastic assist tonight. Imagine if Jack Byrne had done that!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:15pm
Into the final and named motm tonight too.

Edited by J89 - 19 May 2023 at 10:16pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:28pm
Peach of a cross from Connell to put Barnsley into the lead. Lad has some left foot on him when it comes to crossing the ball.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Seems that Vata is doing alright, doubt he would agree.
He didn’t really go there. He’s from there.

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 3:39pm
Ya Luca Connell did well in his two spells for Queens Park, 21 goal contributions (10 goals & 11 assists) in 42 appearances or 3038 minutes.
As for the Celtic are poor at developing players argument. I just put in a small bit of research and when I look a bit deeper into it, the reality to whole SPL had a poor development structure at the time. When the lads like Connell, O'Connor, Afolabi and afew others joined Celtic (those three named joined around the same time in 2019) the SPL reserve/development/youth leagues were in a state of restructuring around that time and covid put a big stall on that process too. Which meant a lot youth/fringe players in the SPL were not playing any regular football at their clubs if they were not involved with the first team so the only way to get game time was to go out on loan in the Scottish leagues. It was just the wrong time to join Celtic for those players really IMHO. 
I also think the managers Celtic had at the time did not care too much about developing youth at the club, either did the clubs etos. 
The Celtic Bs (and other SPL B teams) only started playing in the the lowland/highland leagues last season. So youth/fringe players are back playing regular again even if the level is low. But at the same time which is better, playing a lower level against experienced/physically stronger players that are competitive or playing in a youth/reserve leagues where the football is known for lack intensity  or competitiveness?
I am not a Celtic fan by any means, I would only watch them if they had an Irish player playing for them, like with most English, Scottish, etc league matches I watch, outside watching Ireland and Sligo Rovers regularly.

Edited by darman28 - 13 May 2023 at 11:16pm
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 1:52pm

He spent most of his time at Queens Park to be fair and as John Nice said above, he failed to shine there for whatever reason.

he was their joint top scorer last season as they got promoted
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 11:23am
I'll ask his Ma!

She does be posting on some of the Ireland groups on Facebook. I can't remember which ones now but I did see her commenting before.

Edit - she does be posting on the Eire Guide page.

Edited by horsebox - 13 May 2023 at 11:32am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:09am
He also seems to be running down his contract though. I'd say they might be a lot less focused on giving him first team game time if they had him tied to a four year deal. It will be interesting to see what happens to him next season if he signs a new contract - loan to the Scottish lower leagues would be my guess.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 8:48am
Seems that Vata is doing alright, doubt he would agree.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 10:04pm
The last 20 or so posts should be mandatory reading for any promising Irish player looking to move from a strong background to Celtic 

The "pull of the heart-strings", affinity with Ireland thing is not a reason for a young player to go there. 
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 9:53am
the problem with Celtic's youth system is most lads that are in the B team are playing against clubs with semi pro set ups - they are basically playing against sides that some of whom would be the same standard as the leinster senior league (lowland league is the equivalent) , if you are lucky you might step up and get a loan period to say championship level but the reality is alot don't and it's pretty much game over , i have seen it so may times over the years.
royal rover
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 5:00am

Maybe.
But this happens everywhere. The bigger the club the harder it is to break through.

I think that's the overlooked part of players going there. The pressure on a Celtic or Rangers player is probably unlike anything else because if you don't at least win the league, then it's a complete failure. Very few managers will throw a young player into that, unless they're ridiculously talented.

Regardless of the state of Celtic's academy, that should be the biggest red flag to any young player thinking of going there. It's why Ferguson went to Brighton instead of United, Liverpool, etc.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He spent most of his time at Queens Park to be fair and as John Nice said above, he failed to shine there for whatever reason.

He failed to shine so much they took him on loan for a 2nd season,  played him in every game, and got 2 promotions in a row?

It says all you need to know about Celtics youth system that they're even leaving the development of clearly talented young players to sides like Queens Park, it's simply not up to scratch.

players get loaned from bigger teams to lesser ones because the clubs feel they are ready for first team football and have outgrown the academy structure. are you seriously suggesting celtic should have kept a hold of him instead of sending him out on loan? 

I'm seriously suggesting that they should have put a better plan in place for his development than farming him out to a Scottish 4th division side, yes.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
  Share Topic