Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Division: The Irish Soccer Split

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

In other splits, I find it amazing how the Czech Republic (or whatever they call themselves now ) are credited with winning Euro76 yet 8 of the 11 players were Slovaks !! 

I believe it was because the Czech FA ran the team, they continued on while the Slovak restabilised the Slovak one which was disbanded when they had joined forces after WW2.

In a sense I'd say the IFA would probably have a a better claim to take over then the FAI as they are older 
Sponsored Links

Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

The only solution is catholic nort irish Play for Éire. the protestante for england if both are good enough. SIMPLE
LOL

if the northern Ireland people mostly protestants since HENRY the VIII dont wanna support the all ireland team...what a u gonna dú , pal ? it gonna be pickets around violence bullets etc. Back in time. FOOTBALL is just a sensitive issue in IRELAND. and worldwide.

Edited by Gerry Geary - 24 May 2019 at 1:40pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:40pm

In other splits, I find it amazing how the Czech Republic (or whatever they call themselves now ) are credited with winning Euro76 yet 8 of the 11 players were Slovaks !! 

I would imagine that the association that ran Czechoslovakian football is the same one that now runs Czech football whereas the Slovak Association was only admitted to FIFA post the split.

Same as the IFA still listing any honours from when it was a 32 county team. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 24 May 2019 at 1:43pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:12pm
The difference is Slovakia existed as a country and as a team before they merged with the Czechs whereas Eire didnt exist as a  country or as a team.

Awaits abuse ......
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:21pm

The difference is Slovakia existed as a country and as a team before they merged with the Czechs whereas Eire didnt exist as a  country or as a team.

Awaits abuse ......
Six years as a Nazi puppet state is hardly existence! How many games did the Slovak national team even play then? It can't have been more than a handful.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:23pm
They beat the pesky Nazis 2-0 LOL
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Awaits abuse ......
Six years as a Nazi puppet state is hardly existence! How many games did the Slovak national team even play then? It can't have been more than a handful.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:26pm
Surprised it was that many.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I would imagine that the association that ran Czechoslovakian football is the same one that now runs Czech football whereas the Slovak Association was only admitted to FIFA post the split.

Same as the IFA still listing any honours from when it was a 32 county team. 

Exactly, nothing to do with the "dominant side taking the spoils". If that was true then the FAI would be the association with an acknowledged lineage back to 1880 or whatever it is; instead it is the supposedly "subservient" identity represented by the IFA that has taken that accolade...
We're decent enough..
lexie_2005 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexie_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:21pm
The FA,1ST IN THE WORLD
THE SFA,2ND
THE WFA,3RD
THE IFA,4TH
That is why they are at the top table of world football councils.
They kept the game alive when it was is serious danger of being extinguished.
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:07am

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Tricolour on the bus when the Nordies arrived in Sweden for the '58 WC LOL

It's not even shown the scoreboard in the stadium from the win against Spain in 82, tricolour on that and all. 

is that a joke? any link lol
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:37am
As a contributor in the program said (think it was Brian Kerr), the 1st logical step would be to create an All-Ireland league. Would increase the co-operation between the 2 associations and create a stronger league. A stronger league would see more homegrown players reaching international standard and it could be a catalyst to create a team based on the best players from the united league. The fans would also mix more with regular league trips to Dublin and Belfast. It’s wishful thinking and just a handful of idiots causing trouble would destroy it but I think that’s the only way forward if we want a united team.

Edited by Fatnacho - 25 May 2019 at 8:38am
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:29am
The first logical step (from BK and FN's pov) has already been revived this year. The cross-border championship. It's a huge step from that to a merged League (lack of money as well as opposition from clubs and fans would be problematic).

ps not sure if Lexie is joking above but the IFA, SFA and FAW have negligible influence on FIFA politics. IFAB is a low-level admin comnittee

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 25 May 2019 at 11:33am
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 12:22pm
IFAB low level ? Not so sure about that as they are the ones that propose all changes to Laws of the Game every year. I wouldn't call that so low level.
Also the Setanta Cup was cross border competition and although really successful at the beginning the teams from South were too strong and Northern clubs lost interest and attendances fell off.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Yes, a cross border league certainly makes sense to the extent that it offers tangible benefits without really challenging anyone's identity (unless of course you're a low end top division who will likely end up in the second tier)

Edited by The O'Shea - 25 May 2019 at 1:04pm
We're decent enough..
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:33pm
P&L: changing the Law on the size of corner flags (or similar) is relatively trivial. I accept that the arrival of VAR makes it more important how the Laws are changed, and who does it. My point was really that the IFA has virtually no say in how the dosh is shared round.

O'S: returning to your philosophical musing upthread: there is indeed little or no threat to a club's identity from being in an AIL, apart from the tiny detail of not being in it Tongue
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

P&L: changing the Law on the size of corner flags (or similar) is relatively trivial. I accept that the arrival of VAR makes it more important how the Laws are changed, and who does it. My point was really that the IFA has virtually no say in how the dosh is shared round.

O'S: returning to your philosophical musing upthread: there is indeed little or no threat to a club's identity from being in an AIL, apart from the tiny detail of not being in it Tongue

See the aforementioned caveat. In any case, it's not an identity issue as such, more one of prestige.

Edited by The O'Shea - 25 May 2019 at 2:36pm
We're decent enough..
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Tricolour on the bus when the Nordies arrived in Sweden for the '58 WC LOL

It's not even shown the scoreboard in the stadium from the win against Spain in 82, tricolour on that and all. 

is that a joke? any link lol

Nope, not a joke.

Joking aside, minor as it is, the iconic photos of the scoreboards from Stuttgart and New Jersey are some of my favourite pics from the glory years, be an awful sickener to have them tarnished like they must be for them. 

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic