URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57004
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:21pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Division: The Irish Soccer Split
Posted By: Shedite
Subject: Division: The Irish Soccer Split
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:23pm
Rte1 Wednesday at 9.30.

The story of how the all-island football team split during the War of Independence and how the rivalry between the teams has reflected social and political turmoil on the island. Featuring insightful interviews with players including Niall Quinn, Gerry Taggart, Alan McLoughlin and Bryan Hamilton.

Replies:
Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:01pm
This will be another 500 pager LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:34pm
I expect Terri to have a meltdown after been battered from pillar to post and yer man gspain to be doing his John Hume impersonation

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 3:41pm
seen the title and thought it was about CRISC Smile

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:55pm
will be interesting, prime slot on rte, seems an odd week to have it on.. maybe next week before an international... probably nothing we didnt know but maybe 'normal' peaople will realize why we have two associations. i get fed up of the ' why cant yis be like gaa and rugby' 

-------------
Come on Irelind

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:07pm
The Tricolour on the bus when the Nordies arrived in Sweden for the '58 WC LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It's not even shown the scoreboard in the stadium from the win against Spain in 82, tricolour on that and all. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:38pm
Brian Kerr-'Half of them would have to hand back their blazers'. LOL

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

He's spot on though. It's one of the main reasons it'll never happen LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:43pm
Quinn spoke well, as always

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:33pm
Surprised to hear Taggart was for an all Ireland team .......the name 'Gerry Taggart' just screams prod to me, let alone that angry looking face

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Surprised to hear Taggart was for an all Ireland team .......the name 'Gerry Taggart' just screams prod to me, let alone that angry looking face

You'll also be shocked to hear Sammy Clingan is a catholic

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:38pm

Both Gerry and Taggart are catholic names up here 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:39pm
FAI were chancers from the very beginning looking at this  doc. 

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:47pm

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

He's spot on though. It's one of the main reasons it'll never happen LOL
It's the reason Camoige and Ladies Football won't join the GAA.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

What about Edwin William McClure ?

Sydney McPherson?

Cecil Snoddy?

William Watt?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:07am
Probably as good as time as ever if we were going to do it. 
Think there is the will of a majority of people who would like to see it happen. There could only be a benefit having more heavily supported teams in one national league too.

I need to out myself but id love to see a united ireland and football team on top, even if it meant a new flag and anthem 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:11am
I wouldn't. I want to see a United Ireland, but even that would have to be federal. I grew up loving the Republic of Ireland and still do, I am not sure I would have the same enthusiasm for a new  team.
We have an all-Ireland team as it is.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:31am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I wouldn't. I want to see a United Ireland, but even that would have to be federal. I grew up loving the Republic of Ireland and still do, I am not sure I would have the same enthusiasm for a new  team.
We have an all-Ireland team as it is.

I know we can pick across the island but it's not the same.  We all have a shared irish identity across the island. 
What Quinn said about the north captain alan mcdonald, from proddy background, coming into the dressing room in 93 after that famous draw and wishing us well and to represent the island of Ireland and that they would be cheering for us, that almost brought a tear to these macho eyes! 

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:36am
And I am pretty sure that the majority of Norn Iron fans don't want to give up their identity. We can mock them and have rivalry, but we have to accept their choice. I can empathise as I feel the same about the Irish team.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:50am
The same auld chestnut, fck them nordy coonts we will have what WE want when the time is right

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:50am

And I am pretty sure that the majority of Norn Iron fans don't want to give up their identity. We can mock them and have rivalry, but we have to accept their choice. I can empathise as I feel the same about the Irish team.

Absolutely it’s not about us ‘taking them on’ it would be about building on the shared Irish identity we have, whatever that currently is, and building towards a common Irish identity. I think it’s generally already there.

I know whenever I meet someone from the north on my travels, it’s different than meeting someone from Scotland, Wales or England. This type of behavior gives me
Hope

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:22am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Absolutely it’s not about us ‘taking them on’ it would be about building on the shared Irish identity we have, whatever that currently is, and building towards a common Irish identity. I think it’s generally already there.

I know whenever I meet someone from the north on my travels, it’s different than meeting someone from Scotland, Wales or England. This type of behavior gives me
Hope
ConfusedLOL

-------------

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 2:14am
Anyone know where I could stream this please?

Posted By: Gerry Geary
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 2:16am
Shouldnt happened. Poli tika and football are two sides of the same coin. But catholic Northern ireland playera must be allowed straightforward to Play for Éire

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

If your using a vpn down under, it should be up on the RTÉ player tomorrow. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:50am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

If your using a vpn down under, it should be up on the RTÉ player tomorrow. 

Good man Kev!

Posted By: Green rebel
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:20am
That was an outstanding show last night,apart from the discussion of a United Ireland team ,I taught Brian kerr taughts on a whole island national league made alot of sense and should be set up before a United national side.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:48am

That was one of my takeaways too, sounds like the IFA were a far more rational bunch through the ages 

It was a good point about the perceived borders, that really anyone could always have played for anyone and used any name, it was a self imposed division really by football people.

The all ireland team is a tough one. A the moment we can pick from all 32 counties anyway, and have fans from all 32 counties, so really the idea of an "all-ireland team" is really just "disband the north". I can't imagine too many of their fans would jump on board "Ireland" with the same conviction. It really would just be them joining us unless you did something drastic like coming up with a new anthem, flag, stadium. It will only happen really if the country unties.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

That was one of my takeaways too, sounds like the IFA were a far more rational bunch through the ages 

It was a good point about the perceived borders, that really anyone could always have played for anyone and used any name, it was a self imposed division really by football people.

The all ireland team is a tough one. A the moment we can pick from all 32 counties anyway, and have fans from all 32 counties, so really the idea of an "all-ireland team" is really just "disband the north". I can't imagine too many of their fans would jump on board "Ireland" with the same conviction. It really would just be them joining us unless you did something drastic like coming up with a new anthem, flag, stadium. It will only happen really if the country unties.

Haven't seen the doc yet but I'm reading Eoin Hand's book at the moment and the way trips were organised and players contacted (or not, in Chris Hughton's case) for internationals by the FAI was farcical.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the identity of supporters of both teams will be a huge stumbling block. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Haven't seen the doc yet but I'm reading Eoin Hand's book at the moment and the way trips were organised and players contacted (or not, in Chris Hughton's case) for internationals by the FAI was farcical.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the identity of supporters of both teams will be a huge stumbling block. 

And the blazers 

-------------

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:41am
I think the documentary oversimplified why the split happened

According to "football pre partition Ireland" there were far more tensions than simply, the country splitting

One of these was the working week. They had a shorter working week. and were free to play football on saturdays as sunday was a no go day up there 

Down here We had a longer working week which meant it was harder for lads to get off work to play on saturdays, which ideally they were pushing for games to be on a sunday

Its a hard read but worth it for all the little nuggets

Its a hard one to see a united team, but Ive said it before, Id almost rather they took over the FAI as its been proven the FAI is incapable of running itself without shame.

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:55am

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

And the blazers 

And the pint of Harp.

I wonder if you got a DeLorean time machine back to the the establishment of the FAI would there would be a Buford ''Mad Dog'' Delaney milking the system.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sydney McPherson?

Cecil Snoddy?

William Watt?

Probably all protestants

Bobby Burns is a catholic though, surprisingly

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:02am

Sydney McPherson?

Cecil Snoddy?

William Watt?

Probably all protestants

No!ShockedLOL

I was ripping the piss.  No need to ask anyone with names like that if they are Sinn Fein voters.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:07am

Sydney McPherson?

Cecil Snoddy?

William Watt?

Probably all protestants

No!ShockedLOL

I was ripping the piss.  No need to ask anyone with names like that if they are Sinn Fein voters.LOL

Obviously LOL

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:26pm
I think until things change constitutionally, the status quo should remain. However I'd like to see us being more proactive with recruiting players from the 6

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I think until things change constitutionally, the status quo should remain. However I'd like to see us being more proactive with recruiting players from the 6

Terri is currently typing a 10000 Word response to this

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Terri is currently typing a 10000 Word response to this
Not just a 10000 word response, an unnecessary 10000 word response with several brackets, winkey faces, grandad jokes, often in unnecessary brackets, an unnecessary picture and possible attempts at mocking accents. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:01pm

Hope
ConfusedLOL

Apologies for my nonsense,  I had a good few IPA on board!

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:59pm
No bother!

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:16am
Saw it last night , very good I must say .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Floreat Ultonia
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:34am
Morning all. I haven't seen the film yet (doesn't seem to be on youtube), but I suppose could knock out 1,000 words while you wait for Terri to show...

...but there's little point. I'd just be repeating old stuff, which others above have already covered ;)

This isn't about 'blazers'. Partly because many/ most of them are unpaid volunteers who do it because they enjoy the game. More importantly, as mentioning them at all implies that the much larger mass of fans are either relaxed about ending the split, or would even welcome it. There isn't a shred of evidence among NI fans and wider Unionist public opinion of this happening in the foreseeable future.

What there is is widespread and mainstream public support in the South- so that for example, RTE's poll in November 2017 showed 73% in favor of an all-Ireland side (presumably it was close to 100% for the all-Ireland and beyond one you already have).  Such polls are based on a dishonesty- people claiming their support assumes similar backing from NI fans, although with any background knowledge at all they'll know that's absent. They are basically playing dumb in order to avoid admitting their own bias/ prejudice. Which is what trying to abolish another team is.

Nor does it really matter what old or even current players think. Partly because no NI footballer today has the clout Best or Dougan had in the 70s, but again more importantly as they are an unrepresentative minority compared with the fans.  

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:07am

Image result for ian paisley 1985

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:43am
@TJ: did you miss my point immediately above, or just not understand it?

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Morning all. I haven't seen the film yet (doesn't seem to be on youtube), but I suppose could knock out 1,000 words while you wait for Terri to show...

...but there's little point. I'd just be repeating old stuff, which others above have already covered ;)

This isn't about 'blazers'. Partly because many/ most of them are unpaid volunteers who do it because they enjoy the game. More importantly, as mentioning them at all implies that the much larger mass of fans are either relaxed about ending the split, or would even welcome it. There isn't a shred of evidence among NI fans and wider Unionist public opinion of this happening in the foreseeable future.

What there is is widespread and mainstream public support in the South- so that for example, RTE's poll in November 2017 showed 73% in favor of an all-Ireland side (presumably it was close to 100% for the all-Ireland and beyond one you already have).  Such polls are based on a dishonesty- people claiming their support assumes similar backing from NI fans, although with any background knowledge at all they'll know that's absent. They are basically playing dumb in order to avoid admitting their own bias/ prejudice. Which is what trying to abolish another team is.

Nor does it really matter what old or even current players think. Partly because no NI footballer today has the clout Best or Dougan had in the 70s, but again more importantly as they are an unrepresentative minority compared with the fans.  

This has been explained a thousand times before. No one team can be "abolished" while the other continues in an unchanged form. Either both teams amalgamate (ie a mutual hybridization so to speak); or BOTH teams are abolished, and an entirely new entity takes their place. It's typical Unionist scaremongering to suggest that those who aspire to an all-island team are nothing more than closet bigots attempting to subsume the PUL community with their insidious form of green-tinted Popery....

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:54am
I think the big question is if we ever have an United Ireland, will the team play in Lansdowne Road?

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:04pm
Surely we can all see that when two teams amalgamate the larger  team’s identity will dominate? 
To many Ireland fans the changes are small and worth it(I would disagree) but to Northern Ireland fans they would be massive.
For many, following any team is about the social groups. The friends you meet before a game, the routines etc., as much as the sport itself and we want them to change that and start coming to Dublin to support a new side? Who could blame the for not supporting it, I wouldn’t.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by O'Shea O'Shea wrote:

This has been explained a thousand times before. No one team can be "abolished" while the other continues in an unchanged form. Either both teams amalgamate (ie a mutual hybridization so to speak); or BOTH teams are abolished, and an entirely new entity takes their place. It's typical Unionist scaremongering to suggest that those who aspire to an all-island team are nothing more than closet bigots attempting to subsume the PUL community with their insidious form of green-tinted Popery....

Afternoon O'Shea. Briefly,

1 Repeating the same point-missing a thousand times doesn't add much to the discussion. Throwing in jargon about hybridization is just pretentious

2 I'm pretty certain that what most of that 73% survey response wants is an all-Ireland side with no continuing NI side,  the former playing all its matches in Dublin under a tric while Miggledy or whoever sings along to the Soldier's Song. Which obviously is neither an amalgamation nor mutual abolition. You could claim a new entity but NI fans (who are the only people you really need to convince) don't and wouldn't take you seriously

3 I'm not scaremongering because I don't need to. A single UI side won't happen without an end to partition in wider politics. I've said Brexit particularly makes that much more likely than before, but can't see it for at least 20- 25 years during which time both teams will continue

4 Actually I'm suggesting that the widespread bias/ prejudice is pretty open, even if people play dumb about it

5 Spare us  the 'subsuming the Prods with green-tinted Popery' waffle. It obviously isn't coming from me- lifelong atheist, Green Party member and activist, moved to and readily lived in  Dublin as a student, all of which mentioned on here regularly. I'm merely stressing to you that your daydream has about as much credibility as a ManU title bid. It reinforces my point that the biggest problem on here isn't bantz from the usual semi-anonymous trolls and halfwits, but intelligent and otherwise reasoning people with an obsession...

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:25pm
So essentially, the argument is that Ireland fans are "wrong" for wanting it because NI fans don't want it. The fact that some of you seem to have missed it that that argument works exactly the same way in reverse (ie one could say NI fans are "wrong" for not wanting it in the face of the fact that so many Ireland fans do want it...).

I think the reality is this though, neither sides preferences are right or wrong, they're simply preferences which they're entitled to hold. On top of that, it's never going to happen without consent from both sides, so the idea that the FAI is suddenly going to subsume the IFA under a groundswell of support from South of the border only is reactionary nonsense.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:24pm
In other splits, I find it amazing how the Czech Republic (or whatever they call themselves now ) are credited with winning Euro76 yet 8 of the 11 players were Slovaks !! 

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

In other splits, I find it amazing how the Czech Republic (or whatever they call themselves now ) are credited with winning Euro76 yet 8 of the 11 players were Slovaks !! 
I was going to mention that earlier as an example of how the dominant team always takes the identity, either in a split or a union. Crazy!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:33pm
The only solution is catholic nort irish Play for Éire. the protestante for england if both are good enough. SIMPLE

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

The only solution is catholic nort irish Play for Éire. the protestante for england if both are good enough. SIMPLE
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:37pm

I believe it was because the Czech FA ran the team, they continued on while the Slovak restabilised the Slovak one which was disbanded when they had joined forces after WW2.

In a sense I'd say the IFA would probably have a a better claim to take over then the FAI as they are older 

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:39pm

Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

LOL

if the northern Ireland people mostly protestants since HENRY the VIII dont wanna support the all ireland team...what a u gonna dú , pal ? it gonna be pickets around violence bullets etc. Back in time. FOOTBALL is just a sensitive issue in IRELAND. and worldwide.

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:40pm

I would imagine that the association that ran Czechoslovakian football is the same one that now runs Czech football whereas the Slovak Association was only admitted to FIFA post the split.

Same as the IFA still listing any honours from when it was a 32 county team. 

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:12pm
The difference is Slovakia existed as a country and as a team before they merged with the Czechs whereas Eire didnt exist as a  country or as a team.

Awaits abuse ......

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:21pm

The difference is Slovakia existed as a country and as a team before they merged with the Czechs whereas Eire didnt exist as a  country or as a team.

Awaits abuse ......
Six years as a Nazi puppet state is hardly existence! How many games did the Slovak national team even play then? It can't have been more than a handful.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:23pm
They beat the pesky Nazis 2-0 LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:24pm

Awaits abuse ......
Six years as a Nazi puppet state is hardly existence! How many games did the Slovak national team even play then? It can't have been more than a handful.

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:26pm
Surprised it was that many.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I would imagine that the association that ran Czechoslovakian football is the same one that now runs Czech football whereas the Slovak Association was only admitted to FIFA post the split.

Same as the IFA still listing any honours from when it was a 32 county team. 

Exactly, nothing to do with the "dominant side taking the spoils". If that was true then the FAI would be the association with an acknowledged lineage back to 1880 or whatever it is; instead it is the supposedly "subservient" identity represented by the IFA that has taken that accolade...

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: lexie_2005
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:21pm
The FA,1ST IN THE WORLD
THE SFA,2ND
THE WFA,3RD
THE IFA,4TH
That is why they are at the top table of world football councils.
They kept the game alive when it was is serious danger of being extinguished.

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:07am

It's not even shown the scoreboard in the stadium from the win against Spain in 82, tricolour on that and all. 

is that a joke? any link lol

Posted By: Fatnacho
Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:37am
As a contributor in the program said (think it was Brian Kerr), the 1st logical step would be to create an All-Ireland league. Would increase the co-operation between the 2 associations and create a stronger league. A stronger league would see more homegrown players reaching international standard and it could be a catalyst to create a team based on the best players from the united league. The fans would also mix more with regular league trips to Dublin and Belfast. It’s wishful thinking and just a handful of idiots causing trouble would destroy it but I think that’s the only way forward if we want a united team.

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:29am
The first logical step (from BK and FN's pov) has already been revived this year. The cross-border championship. It's a huge step from that to a merged League (lack of money as well as opposition from clubs and fans would be problematic).

ps not sure if Lexie is joking above but the IFA, SFA and FAW have negligible influence on FIFA politics. IFAB is a low-level admin comnittee

Posted By: ProudAndLoud
Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 12:22pm
IFAB low level ? Not so sure about that as they are the ones that propose all changes to Laws of the Game every year. I wouldn't call that so low level.
Also the Setanta Cup was cross border competition and although really successful at the beginning the teams from South were too strong and Northern clubs lost interest and attendances fell off.

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Yes, a cross border league certainly makes sense to the extent that it offers tangible benefits without really challenging anyone's identity (unless of course you're a low end top division who will likely end up in the second tier)

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:33pm
P&L: changing the Law on the size of corner flags (or similar) is relatively trivial. I accept that the arrival of VAR makes it more important how the Laws are changed, and who does it. My point was really that the IFA has virtually no say in how the dosh is shared round.

O'S: returning to your philosophical musing upthread: there is indeed little or no threat to a club's identity from being in an AIL, apart from the tiny detail of not being in it Tongue

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

P&L: changing the Law on the size of corner flags (or similar) is relatively trivial. I accept that the arrival of VAR makes it more important how the Laws are changed, and who does it. My point was really that the IFA has virtually no say in how the dosh is shared round.

O'S: returning to your philosophical musing upthread: there is indeed little or no threat to a club's identity from being in an AIL, apart from the tiny detail of not being in it Tongue

See the aforementioned caveat. In any case, it's not an identity issue as such, more one of prestige.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Nope, not a joke.

Joking aside, minor as it is, the iconic photos of the scoreboards from Stuttgart and New Jersey are some of my favourite pics from the glory years, be an awful sickener to have them tarnished like they must be for them. 

-------------

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:37pm

Nope, not a joke.

Joking aside, minor as it is, the iconic photos of the scoreboards from Stuttgart and New Jersey are some of my favourite pics from the glory years, be an awful sickener to have them tarnished like they must be for them. 

thanks for that LOL

any links for this doc online yet or will rte repeat it?

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:42pm
This only a one off ?

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:17pm

Nope, not a joke.

thanks for that LOL

any links for this doc online yet or will rte repeat it?

On the RTE Player 

-------------

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

I expect Terri to have a meltdown after been battered from pillar to post and yer man gspain to be doing his John Hume impersonation
Didn't see the programme, but interesting though it likely was, this "All-Ireland team" business doesn't really bother me.

For it will not, indeed cannot, happen until we have an all-Ireland state and that won't happen in my lifetime. (I don't expect to croak anytime soon, though I might not waken from an alcoholic coma should Spurs win the CL at the w/e, I suppose)

And even if/when it should happen, I'm sure my heirs and successors will still have a card or two to play:
https://www.fifa.com/associations/association/hkg/" rel="nofollow - https://www.fifa.com/associations/association/hkg/
https://www.fifa.com/associations/association/mac/" rel="nofollow - https://www.fifa.com/associations/association/mac/  

So you guys enjoy Dreamworld, while the rest of us get on with the real one. Wink

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:28am
In the real world you should be planning for the inevitable....

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:04am

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/united-ireland-acceptable-to-eileen-paisley-if-there-is-freedom-of-religion-38149393.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/united-ireland-acceptable-to-eileen-paisley-if-there-is-freedom-of-religion-38149393.html

Ian Paisley Sr's missus demands a full return to Rome rule for the entire island asap. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

In the real world you should be planning for the inevitable....
Don't worry, we already have.

I mean, Michael O'Neill has already begun to implement a new possession-based, attacking style of football in anticipation of the retirement of McAuley, Hughes and Brunt etc. Peacock-Farrell for McGovern, too.

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:56am
For those who are interested, short Tifo video here on the split from last year.  (The narrator does not seem to have watched any of Ireland's recent games as he says he was expecting an "exciting game" between ROI and NI...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lt_8rKL_qc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lt_8rKL_qc  

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:51am
Have been looking for this online for a while because I missed it when it was on, it  was taken off RTE player quickly aswell. Does anyone know where it can be seen online?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net