You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Division: The Irish Soccer Split

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:26pm
I think until things change constitutionally, the status quo should remain. However I'd like to see us being more proactive with recruiting players from the 6
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I think until things change constitutionally, the status quo should remain. However I'd like to see us being more proactive with recruiting players from the 6

Terri is currently typing a 10000 Word response to this
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Terri is currently typing a 10000 Word response to this
Not just a 10000 word response, an unnecessary 10000 word response with several brackets, winkey faces, grandad jokes, often in unnecessary brackets, an unnecessary picture and possible attempts at mocking accents. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And I am pretty sure that the majority of Norn Iron fans don't want to give up their identity. We can mock them and have rivalry, but we have to accept their choice. I can empathise as I feel the same about the Irish team.

Absolutely it’s not about us ‘taking them on’ it would be about building on the shared Irish identity we have, whatever that currently is, and building towards a common Irish identity. I think it’s generally already there.

I know whenever I meet someone from the north on my travels, it’s different than meeting someone from Scotland, Wales or England. This type of behavior gives me
Hope
ConfusedLOL

Apologies for my nonsense,  I had a good few IPA on board!

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:59pm
No bother!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:16am
Saw it last night , very good I must say .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:34am
Morning all. I haven't seen the film yet (doesn't seem to be on youtube), but I suppose could knock out 1,000 words while you wait for Terri to show...

...but there's little point. I'd just be repeating old stuff, which others above have already covered ;)

This isn't about 'blazers'. Partly because many/ most of them are unpaid volunteers who do it because they enjoy the game. More importantly, as mentioning them at all implies that the much larger mass of fans are either relaxed about ending the split, or would even welcome it. There isn't a shred of evidence among NI fans and wider Unionist public opinion of this happening in the foreseeable future.

What there is is widespread and mainstream public support in the South- so that for example, RTE's poll in November 2017 showed 73% in favor of an all-Ireland side (presumably it was close to 100% for the all-Ireland and beyond one you already have).  Such polls are based on a dishonesty- people claiming their support assumes similar backing from NI fans, although with any background knowledge at all they'll know that's absent. They are basically playing dumb in order to avoid admitting their own bias/ prejudice. Which is what trying to abolish another team is.

Nor does it really matter what old or even current players think. Partly because no NI footballer today has the clout Best or Dougan had in the 70s, but again more importantly as they are an unrepresentative minority compared with the fans.  
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:07am

Image result for ian paisley 1985

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

Edited by Trap junior - 24 May 2019 at 11:09am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:43am
@TJ: did you miss my point immediately above, or just not understand it?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Morning all. I haven't seen the film yet (doesn't seem to be on youtube), but I suppose could knock out 1,000 words while you wait for Terri to show...

...but there's little point. I'd just be repeating old stuff, which others above have already covered ;)

This isn't about 'blazers'. Partly because many/ most of them are unpaid volunteers who do it because they enjoy the game. More importantly, as mentioning them at all implies that the much larger mass of fans are either relaxed about ending the split, or would even welcome it. There isn't a shred of evidence among NI fans and wider Unionist public opinion of this happening in the foreseeable future.

What there is is widespread and mainstream public support in the South- so that for example, RTE's poll in November 2017 showed 73% in favor of an all-Ireland side (presumably it was close to 100% for the all-Ireland and beyond one you already have).  Such polls are based on a dishonesty- people claiming their support assumes similar backing from NI fans, although with any background knowledge at all they'll know that's absent. They are basically playing dumb in order to avoid admitting their own bias/ prejudice. Which is what trying to abolish another team is.

Nor does it really matter what old or even current players think. Partly because no NI footballer today has the clout Best or Dougan had in the 70s, but again more importantly as they are an unrepresentative minority compared with the fans.  

This has been explained a thousand times before. No one team can be "abolished" while the other continues in an unchanged form. Either both teams amalgamate (ie a mutual hybridization so to speak); or BOTH teams are abolished, and an entirely new entity takes their place. It's typical Unionist scaremongering to suggest that those who aspire to an all-island team are nothing more than closet bigots attempting to subsume the PUL community with their insidious form of green-tinted Popery....

Edited by The O'Shea - 24 May 2019 at 11:51am
We're decent enough..
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:54am
I think the big question is if we ever have an United Ireland, will the team play in Lansdowne Road?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:04pm
Surely we can all see that when two teams amalgamate the larger  team’s identity will dominate? 
To many Ireland fans the changes are small and worth it(I would disagree) but to Northern Ireland fans they would be massive.
For many, following any team is about the social groups. The friends you meet before a game, the routines etc., as much as the sport itself and we want them to change that and start coming to Dublin to support a new side? Who could blame the for not supporting it, I wouldn’t.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by O'Shea O'Shea wrote:

This has been explained a thousand times before. No one team can be "abolished" while the other continues in an unchanged form. Either both teams amalgamate (ie a mutual hybridization so to speak); or BOTH teams are abolished, and an entirely new entity takes their place. It's typical Unionist scaremongering to suggest that those who aspire to an all-island team are nothing more than closet bigots attempting to subsume the PUL community with their insidious form of green-tinted Popery....

Afternoon O'Shea. Briefly,

1 Repeating the same point-missing a thousand times doesn't add much to the discussion. Throwing in jargon about hybridization is just pretentious

2 I'm pretty certain that what most of that 73% survey response wants is an all-Ireland side with no continuing NI side,  the former playing all its matches in Dublin under a tric while Miggledy or whoever sings along to the Soldier's Song. Which obviously is neither an amalgamation nor mutual abolition. You could claim a new entity but NI fans (who are the only people you really need to convince) don't and wouldn't take you seriously

3 I'm not scaremongering because I don't need to. A single UI side won't happen without an end to partition in wider politics. I've said Brexit particularly makes that much more likely than before, but can't see it for at least 20- 25 years during which time both teams will continue

4 Actually I'm suggesting that the widespread bias/ prejudice is pretty open, even if people play dumb about it

5 Spare us  the 'subsuming the Prods with green-tinted Popery' waffle. It obviously isn't coming from me- lifelong atheist, Green Party member and activist, moved to and readily lived in  Dublin as a student, all of which mentioned on here regularly. I'm merely stressing to you that your daydream has about as much credibility as a ManU title bid. It reinforces my point that the biggest problem on here isn't bantz from the usual semi-anonymous trolls and halfwits, but intelligent and otherwise reasoning people with an obsession...

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 24 May 2019 at 12:33pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:25pm
So essentially, the argument is that Ireland fans are "wrong" for wanting it because NI fans don't want it. The fact that some of you seem to have missed it that that argument works exactly the same way in reverse (ie one could say NI fans are "wrong" for not wanting it in the face of the fact that so many Ireland fans do want it...).

I think the reality is this though, neither sides preferences are right or wrong, they're simply preferences which they're entitled to hold. On top of that, it's never going to happen without consent from both sides, so the idea that the FAI is suddenly going to subsume the IFA under a groundswell of support from South of the border only is reactionary nonsense.
We're decent enough..
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:24pm
In other splits, I find it amazing how the Czech Republic (or whatever they call themselves now ) are credited with winning Euro76 yet 8 of the 11 players were Slovaks !! 
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

In other splits, I find it amazing how the Czech Republic (or whatever they call themselves now ) are credited with winning Euro76 yet 8 of the 11 players were Slovaks !! 
I was going to mention that earlier as an example of how the dominant team always takes the identity, either in a split or a union. Crazy!
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:33pm
The only solution is catholic nort irish Play for Éire. the protestante for england if both are good enough. SIMPLE
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

The only solution is catholic nort irish Play for Éire. the protestante for england if both are good enough. SIMPLE
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic