You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Division: The Irish Soccer Split

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:31am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I wouldn't. I want to see a United Ireland, but even that would have to be federal. I grew up loving the Republic of Ireland and still do, I am not sure I would have the same enthusiasm for a new  team.
We have an all-Ireland team as it is.

I know we can pick across the island but it's not the same.  We all have a shared irish identity across the island. 
What Quinn said about the north captain alan mcdonald, from proddy background, coming into the dressing room in 93 after that famous draw and wishing us well and to represent the island of Ireland and that they would be cheering for us, that almost brought a tear to these macho eyes! 
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:36am
And I am pretty sure that the majority of Norn Iron fans don't want to give up their identity. We can mock them and have rivalry, but we have to accept their choice. I can empathise as I feel the same about the Irish team.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:50am
The same auld chestnut, fck them nordy coonts we will have what WE want when the time is right
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:50am

And I am pretty sure that the majority of Norn Iron fans don't want to give up their identity. We can mock them and have rivalry, but we have to accept their choice. I can empathise as I feel the same about the Irish team.

Absolutely it’s not about us ‘taking them on’ it would be about building on the shared Irish identity we have, whatever that currently is, and building towards a common Irish identity. I think it’s generally already there.

I know whenever I meet someone from the north on my travels, it’s different than meeting someone from Scotland, Wales or England. This type of behavior gives me
Hope
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:22am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Absolutely it’s not about us ‘taking them on’ it would be about building on the shared Irish identity we have, whatever that currently is, and building towards a common Irish identity. I think it’s generally already there.

I know whenever I meet someone from the north on my travels, it’s different than meeting someone from Scotland, Wales or England. This type of behavior gives me
Hope
ConfusedLOL
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 2:14am
Anyone know where I could stream this please?
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 2:16am
Shouldnt happened. Poli tika and football are two sides of the same coin. But catholic Northern ireland playera must be allowed straightforward to Play for Éire
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

If your using a vpn down under, it should be up on the RTÉ player tomorrow. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:50am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

If your using a vpn down under, it should be up on the RTÉ player tomorrow. 

Good man Kev!
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:20am
That was an outstanding show last night,apart from the discussion of a United Ireland team ,I taught Brian kerr taughts on a whole island national league made alot of sense and should be set up before a United national side.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:48am

FAI were chancers from the very beginning looking at this  doc. 
That was one of my takeaways too, sounds like the IFA were a far more rational bunch through the ages 

It was a good point about the perceived borders, that really anyone could always have played for anyone and used any name, it was a self imposed division really by football people.

The all ireland team is a tough one. A the moment we can pick from all 32 counties anyway, and have fans from all 32 counties, so really the idea of an "all-ireland team" is really just "disband the north". I can't imagine too many of their fans would jump on board "Ireland" with the same conviction. It really would just be them joining us unless you did something drastic like coming up with a new anthem, flag, stadium. It will only happen really if the country unties.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

That was one of my takeaways too, sounds like the IFA were a far more rational bunch through the ages 

It was a good point about the perceived borders, that really anyone could always have played for anyone and used any name, it was a self imposed division really by football people.

The all ireland team is a tough one. A the moment we can pick from all 32 counties anyway, and have fans from all 32 counties, so really the idea of an "all-ireland team" is really just "disband the north". I can't imagine too many of their fans would jump on board "Ireland" with the same conviction. It really would just be them joining us unless you did something drastic like coming up with a new anthem, flag, stadium. It will only happen really if the country unties.

Haven't seen the doc yet but I'm reading Eoin Hand's book at the moment and the way trips were organised and players contacted (or not, in Chris Hughton's case) for internationals by the FAI was farcical.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the identity of supporters of both teams will be a huge stumbling block. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Haven't seen the doc yet but I'm reading Eoin Hand's book at the moment and the way trips were organised and players contacted (or not, in Chris Hughton's case) for internationals by the FAI was farcical.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the identity of supporters of both teams will be a huge stumbling block. 

And the blazers 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:41am
I think the documentary oversimplified why the split happened

According to "football pre partition Ireland" there were far more tensions than simply, the country splitting

One of these was the working week. They had a shorter working week. and were free to play football on saturdays as sunday was a no go day up there 

Down here We had a longer working week which meant it was harder for lads to get off work to play on saturdays, which ideally they were pushing for games to be on a sunday

Its a hard read but worth it for all the little nuggets

Its a hard one to see a united team, but Ive said it before, Id almost rather they took over the FAI as its been proven the FAI is incapable of running itself without shame.

Edited by OohAah... - 23 May 2019 at 10:41am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

And the blazers 

And the pint of Harp.

I wonder if you got a DeLorean time machine back to the the establishment of the FAI would there would be a Buford ''Mad Dog'' Delaney milking the system.

Edited by Trap junior - 23 May 2019 at 10:59am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Surprised to hear Taggart was for an all Ireland team .......the name 'Gerry Taggart' just screams prod to me, let alone that angry looking face

Both Gerry and Taggart are catholic names up here 

What about Edwin William McClure ?

Sydney McPherson?

Cecil Snoddy?

William Watt?

Probably all protestants

Bobby Burns is a catholic though, surprisingly
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:02am

Surprised to hear Taggart was for an all Ireland team .......the name 'Gerry Taggart' just screams prod to me, let alone that angry looking face

Sydney McPherson?

Cecil Snoddy?

William Watt?

Probably all protestants

No!ShockedLOL

I was ripping the piss.  No need to ask anyone with names like that if they are Sinn Fein voters.LOL

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:07am

Sydney McPherson?

Cecil Snoddy?

William Watt?

Probably all protestants

No!ShockedLOL

I was ripping the piss.  No need to ask anyone with names like that if they are Sinn Fein voters.LOL

Obviously LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic