FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Division: The Irish Soccer Split

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Division: The Irish Soccer Split
    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:51am
Have been looking for this online for a while because I missed it when it was on, it  was taken off RTE player quickly aswell. Does anyone know where it can be seen online?
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:56am
For those who are interested, short Tifo video here on the split from last year.  (The narrator does not seem to have watched any of Ireland's recent games as he says he was expecting an "exciting game" between ROI and NI...):

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

In the real world you should be planning for the inevitable....
Don't worry, we already have.

I mean, Michael O'Neill has already begun to implement a new possession-based, attacking style of football in anticipation of the retirement of McAuley, Hughes and Brunt etc. Peacock-Farrell for McGovern, too.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:04am
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:28am
In the real world you should be planning for the inevitable....
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

I expect Terri to have a meltdown after been battered from pillar to post and yer man gspain to be doing his John Hume impersonation
Didn't see the programme, but interesting though it likely was, this "All-Ireland team" business doesn't really bother me.

For it will not, indeed cannot, happen until we have an all-Ireland state and that won't happen in my lifetime. (I don't expect to croak anytime soon, though I might not waken from an alcoholic coma should Spurs win the CL at the w/e, I suppose)

And even if/when it should happen, I'm sure my heirs and successors will still have a card or two to play:

So you guys enjoy Dreamworld, while the rest of us get on with the real one. Wink
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Tricolour on the bus when the Nordies arrived in Sweden for the '58 WC LOL

It's not even shown the scoreboard in the stadium from the win against Spain in 82, tricolour on that and all. 

is that a joke? any link lol

Nope, not a joke.

Joking aside, minor as it is, the iconic photos of the scoreboards from Stuttgart and New Jersey are some of my favourite pics from the glory years, be an awful sickener to have them tarnished like they must be for them. 

thanks for that LOL

any links for this doc online yet or will rte repeat it?

On the RTE Player 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:42pm
This only a one off ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:37pm

It's not even shown the scoreboard in the stadium from the win against Spain in 82, tricolour on that and all. 

Nope, not a joke.

Joking aside, minor as it is, the iconic photos of the scoreboards from Stuttgart and New Jersey are some of my favourite pics from the glory years, be an awful sickener to have them tarnished like they must be for them. 

thanks for that LOL

any links for this doc online yet or will rte repeat it?
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:26pm

Nope, not a joke.

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

P&L: changing the Law on the size of corner flags (or similar) is relatively trivial. I accept that the arrival of VAR makes it more important how the Laws are changed, and who does it. My point was really that the IFA has virtually no say in how the dosh is shared round.

O'S: returning to your philosophical musing upthread: there is indeed little or no threat to a club's identity from being in an AIL, apart from the tiny detail of not being in it Tongue

See the aforementioned caveat. In any case, it's not an identity issue as such, more one of prestige.

Edited by The O'Shea - 25 May 2019 at 2:36pm
We're decent enough..
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:33pm
P&L: changing the Law on the size of corner flags (or similar) is relatively trivial. I accept that the arrival of VAR makes it more important how the Laws are changed, and who does it. My point was really that the IFA has virtually no say in how the dosh is shared round.

O'S: returning to your philosophical musing upthread: there is indeed little or no threat to a club's identity from being in an AIL, apart from the tiny detail of not being in it Tongue
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Yes, a cross border league certainly makes sense to the extent that it offers tangible benefits without really challenging anyone's identity (unless of course you're a low end top division who will likely end up in the second tier)

Edited by The O'Shea - 25 May 2019 at 1:04pm
We're decent enough..
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 12:22pm
IFAB low level ? Not so sure about that as they are the ones that propose all changes to Laws of the Game every year. I wouldn't call that so low level.
Also the Setanta Cup was cross border competition and although really successful at the beginning the teams from South were too strong and Northern clubs lost interest and attendances fell off.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:29am
The first logical step (from BK and FN's pov) has already been revived this year. The cross-border championship. It's a huge step from that to a merged League (lack of money as well as opposition from clubs and fans would be problematic).

ps not sure if Lexie is joking above but the IFA, SFA and FAW have negligible influence on FIFA politics. IFAB is a low-level admin comnittee

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 25 May 2019 at 11:33am
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:37am
As a contributor in the program said (think it was Brian Kerr), the 1st logical step would be to create an All-Ireland league. Would increase the co-operation between the 2 associations and create a stronger league. A stronger league would see more homegrown players reaching international standard and it could be a catalyst to create a team based on the best players from the united league. The fans would also mix more with regular league trips to Dublin and Belfast. It’s wishful thinking and just a handful of idiots causing trouble would destroy it but I think that’s the only way forward if we want a united team.

Edited by Fatnacho - 25 May 2019 at 8:38am
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:07am

lexie_2005 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexie_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:21pm
The FA,1ST IN THE WORLD
THE SFA,2ND
THE WFA,3RD
THE IFA,4TH
That is why they are at the top table of world football councils.
They kept the game alive when it was is serious danger of being extinguished.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic