Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League Final - Liverpool v Tottenham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:29pm
It's the first goal in a CL final, given by a woeful decision from a referee. It should be highlighted and debated. The fact that so few in the media are comes down to 2 things imo, first a lot are very confused at this stage around the state of play regards handballs. Second, it was the CL final, the pinnacle of the football season, so it would look awful if Liverpools moment in the sun was being tainted by opposition, media, fans etc. 

Terri is spot on. I genuinely can't get my head around how people are convinced it's a penalty. I'm convinced myself that VAR didn't take long enough and didn't clearly see it went from Sissokos chest to his arm. That changes everything. They should have been 2-3 mins checking that, yet they took 60 seconds or less. It was a complicated and unclear decision and they absolutely f*cked it up. In a European Cup final.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 04 Jun 2019 at 1:37pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:32pm
I see VAR worked a treat in the African CL final as well....sooner or later VAR will result in a fatality.
And will the authorities now have to bring in a law to penalise players who deliberately aim for opponents arms ? Is that cheating ? Ungentlemanly conduct ?

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:35pm
Also, as I've said before, there have been countless penalties down the years that refs have said no penalty in this exact situation. It is the ways refs have viewed a deflection by a player on to his own arm.

For all of those (Planning especially) saying that from next season this exact situation will be a clear penalty. You are incorrect. 100 percent wrong. As the refs has always interpreted the situation this way, IFAB the lawmakers, are now writing in a directive about this deflection type handball, where this situation will NEVER be give as a penalty.

So Sissokos handball is textbook wrong next season. It is also textbook wrong this season, it's just that the directives aren't written as clearly on the exact situation. I'm firmly of the belief that the VAR thought it hit Sissoko straight away on his arm.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:36pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

arguing about refereeing decisions is as pointless as Muff logging into Tinder.   

LOL

Any craic Mr Pot? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I'm the one on here being accused of not knowing the laws around handball. 

You're not accused of anything. You don't know the laws about it. If you did, you wouldn't question it. The defender has no case. He was lucky he wasn't booked, as Skomina is known for flashing his cards about. 

Those handballs will be clamped down upon in next year's league. There will be zero tolerance of handballs by forwards and defenders. Failure to do so is a failure to enforce the regulations of the sport as they stand, not your interpretation of them.

Thoughts? Considering IFAB have cleared up there is zero percent chance that the situation that happened Sissoko should ever be a penalty again?
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:45pm

It's the first goal in a CL final, given by a woeful decision from a referee. It should be highlighted and debated. The fact that so few in the media are comes down to 2 things imo, first a lot are very confused at this stage around the state of play regards handballs. Second, it was the CL final, the pinnacle of the football season, so it would look awful if Liverpools moment in the sun was being tainted by opposition, media, fans etc. 

Terri is spot on. I genuinely can't get my head around how people are convinced it's a penalty. I'm convinced myself that VAR didn't take long enough and didn't clearly see it went from Sissokos chest to his arm. That changes everything. They should have been 2-3 mins checking that, yet they took 60 seconds or less. It was a complicated and unclear decision and they absolutely f*cked it up. In a European Cup final.
It has been, for the last 5 pages ffs!

If they looked at it in under 60 seconds they were obviously happy it was a penalty, what good would looking at it for another 2 mins? It was the right call which is the reason not much has been made of it. 
Some people just deserve a slap
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

First Hans now Territorial - arguing over a penalty and spending 30 minutes writing long winded posts that most of us skip without reading is not going to reverse the decision. It just highlights something else
Neither Hans not I ever said it was going to reverse the decision.

And your "long-winded" is someone elses "carefully reasoned case, with evidence".

And of course most people "skip without reading". 

Except you do neither i.e. you don't add anything to the debate, neither do you skip to something else.

I guess that's the sort of thing which gets you to be a Moderator. LOL

Anyhow, this is about football fans discussing the events of a big football match on an internet football forum. Who thought that would ever happen, eh?  

On which point, if I could be arsed to go back to the thread covering the France v ROI qualifier in November 2009, may I assume that you similarly had nothing whatever to post about that Tierry Henry "handball", on the basis that the situation could not be reversed? 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:47pm

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0604/1053378-new-football-rules-wont-apply-to-euro-2020-qualifiers/

Interestingly enough this article actually completely contradicts the end of the RTE article - i.e saying the decision was more likely to be given as a penalty under the rule changes rather than less likely:

The only thing for certain is that confusion reigns!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That Hans backed Spurs? 

I backed Liverpool ht ft actually. They have made me an awful lot of money in this seasons CL.

That does not take away from what was one of the poorest decisions I've seen, and it being made in the biggest game in club football with a load of officially to assist with instant replays at hand. It was simply a horribly wrong call 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:51pm
LOLLOL
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The deliberate word is totally wrong in the rule book I’ve always said 
Does that mean that when officiating in a match, referees should just be permitted to ignore the specific wording of a relevant Law entirely? You know, wording which has existed essentially unchanged for over a century?

Wow!

"Listen officer, I know the Highway Code says the maximum speed limit is 70 mph, and I was doing 95 mph, but I've always said the wording in the Code is totally wrong. Totally wrong, I tell ye"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

It has been, for the last 5 pages ffs!

If they looked at it in under 60 seconds they were obviously happy it was a penalty, what good would looking at it for another 2 mins? It was the right call which is the reason not much has been made of it. 

Firstly it was the incorrect call. There is no doubt about it. Terri has explained it perfectly.

Second, I'm of the belief that they looked at a few inconclusive angles that suggested it may have nicked Sissokos arm on the original contact (it didn't it was chest), this was enough not to overrule the on pitch official.

If they had taken more time, they would have seen they are now 2 incidents. As Terri points out, incident 1 clearly isn't handball. Incident 2 should never be called handball as Sissoko deflects the ball onto his own arm and has no time to react.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm

LOLLOL

I'm serious btw. Had Liverpool ht ft. Made a good bit.

LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:56pm

LOLLOL

I'm serious btw. Had Liverpool ht ft. Made a good bit.

LOL
I’m not doubting ya. I am still amused!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Where does the law say anything about first contact though ? Maybe the law is grey, but there isn't anything there to suggest a 2nd contact because of an arm raised or extended (which was the case with Sissoko, his arm was coming back down from an extended position when the ball hit it after coming down from his chest) isn't a penalty either. 

It's not a question of "first contact", it's a question of separate incidents. And the problem is, the referee appeared to have adjudicated on the second incident by reference to the first, as follows.

Referring back to the relevant Law (something which none of the "stonewall penalty" crew have done, btw), for an incident to constitute Handball, it requires two things to happen i.e. the player must strike the ball with his hand, and it must be deliberate.

The first incident i.e. when it struck his chest, cannot be "Handball", for obvious reasons. Therefore the position of his body/arm etc is utterly irrelevant at that point. 

The second, separate incident, where the ball then deflected onto his upper arm should then be adjudicated on its own merits/demerits. And it is simply unreasonable, perverse even, to judge that Sissoko deliberately decided to handle the ball in the split second between the ball striking his chest and it bouncing onto his upper arm.

Think of it this way. Had the ball deflected off his chest and struck eg his face instead, which it might just as easily have done, would you say he deliberately acquired a black eye? Ouch

This is the perfect summation of the 2 incidents and why it is not a penalty.

The VAR should have taken way more time to go through the situation. I have no doubt they wouldn't have given the penalty if they spent 5 minutes analysing it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

arguing about refereeing decisions is as pointless as Muff logging into Tinder.   

LOL

Any craic Mr Pot? 

Racist :).  All good :). See you in Copenhagen ? 
AKA pedantic kunt
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 2:00pm
His arm was in an ‘unnatural position’ FFS.

It states that in the Law too Terri !!!!

It doesnt matter if it hits 15 players and the crossbar and then hits his arm, its a peno
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
  Share Topic