Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56978
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 12:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Champions League Final - Liverpool v Tottenham
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Champions League Final - Liverpool v Tottenham
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:21pm
I can see this one being a drab dull stalemate 0-0.   Its the battle of the bottlers.  Klopp v Pochettino.  It's a question of who wants to bottle it more in a royal rumble.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:00pm
They should switch it to Villa Park

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:15pm
The Razor Ruddock Final Clap

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:18pm
Split loyalties for Robbie Keane
A boyhood fan of both clubs

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:22pm
2 of the best managers in football in the final Clap hopefully a good game. The 3 week gap might do Spurs the world of good in getting a few players fit and up to speed. For them to get to the final is an incredible achievement all things considered.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:53pm
It’s the Hans Moleman final, total vindication.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:03am
30 years since Liverpool were champions.
60  years since Spurs were. 

Champions League strikes again.LOL

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:05am
LOL

I do have a massive gra' for these sets of players and especially these managers. Bit disappointed for Ajax though, they've been phenomenal.

Also, whatever about Klopp and the job he's done at Liverpool (brilliant job, the best manager in the world imo). What Pochettino has done at Spurs is just something else. CL final. Just think about where they were in the pecking order in European football 5/6 years ago. Imagine someone saying when Spurs appointed Pochettino back then that Spurs would regularly qualify for the CL in the next few seasons, that they'd have a couple of tilts at a title (I know some will question that description), and they'd make a CL final. It is phenomenal what Pochettino has achieved there.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:28am
The recent league game in Anfield was close enough, 2-1 to Liverpool thanks to the keepers fumble and Sissoko blazing over from 15 yards....will definitely be a close game, difficult to call until the teams are picked. Both teams away results in Europe have been mixed, looking forward to it. 

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:39am
Kick of a ball is all that’s between them. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

LOL

I do have a massive gra' for these sets of players and especially these managers. Bit disappointed for Ajax though, they've been phenomenal.

Also, whatever about Klopp and the job he's done at Liverpool (brilliant job, the best manager in the world imo). What Pochettino has done at Spurs is just something else. CL final. Just think about where they were in the pecking order in European football 5/6 years ago. Imagine someone saying when Spurs appointed Pochettino back then that Spurs would regularly qualify for the CL in the next few seasons, that they'd have a couple of tilts at a title (I know some will question that description), and they'd make a CL final. It is phenomenal what Pochettino has achieved there.
As a Spurs fan, no-one could have a higher regard for Poch than me.

But when you talk about "5/6 years ago", I think you disregard the contribution Redknapp (yes, 'Arry) made in taking Spurs to a higher level after the cataclysm of Ramos and the dross of Gross, Santini and even Jol.

I was at the game where Spurs played Real Madrid (in Madrid) in 2011 and although we were beaten 4-0 (tie over), it was not the game the scoreline suggests. In fact, with  Bale & Co ripping teams apart, Spurs weren't that far short of top billing that season.

Now having said all that, Poch has taken Spurs to a whole new level entirely, but these things don't just happen overnight.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:30am
The managers that have moved spurs along and improved spurs have been Jol Redknapp and now Poch.   Jol is underrated at spurs.  Think of what was there before him and then close to champions league.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The managers that have moved spurs along and improved spurs have been Jol Redknapp and now Poch.   Jol is underaged at spurs.  Think of what was there before him and then close to champions league.
Indeed.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The managers that have moved spurs along and improved spurs have been Jol Redknapp and now Poch.   Jol is underrated at spurs.  Think of what was there before him and then close to champions league.

Agreed on Jol. His teams started the process of overtaking Arsenal in terms of league position, which would have been achieved a lot sooner were it not for some dodgy food.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:45am
It's a final, nobody cares how you win once you win. Pretty game with end to end attacking or a drab 1-0, the winner won't give a toss.

Would've nearly preferred the game next week for us. The couple of times we've had a decent break between games it hasn't done us any good. Playing week to week seems to suits better but form etc goes out the window for finals I suppose

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:59pm
50% of ticket holders won't be supporters. That's fairly crap. It'll have a dead atmosphere.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:26pm
Probably stick 100-200 on spurs to lift the cup. Bit of compensation if spurs win but money I would be ok to part with to see Liverpool lift the cup 

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

50% of ticket holders won't be supporters. That's fairly crap. It'll have a dead atmosphere.

Similar case in most finals these days is it not 

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:31pm
The favourites tag will be with Liverpool. 6 losses over this entire season, one in the league, against a team who might wrap up a domestic treble over the next ten days. Spurs have lost 17 over the course of the season. Essentially, over the course of the season Spurs have been much more beatable in the league and could finish over 20 points behind Liverpool and pip Arsenal on goal difference to 4th place.

But that won’t count for much on a once off game. It’s
Anybody’s to win.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Probably stick 100-200 on spurs to lift the cup. Bit of compensation if spurs win but money I would be ok to part with to see Liverpool lift the cup 

Going to do the exact same with Liverpool.  LOL 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Ah you know how it is, they'll find their way to fans via competitions, favours, people who know people etc

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:35pm
Could be wrong but I think Liverpool lost 14 games in the 04/05 season only 3 less that Spurs this season. Finals are finals, the performance means nothing - just win it

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Could be wrong but I think Liverpool lost 14 games in the 04/05 season only 3 less that Spurs this season. Finals are finals, the performance means nothing - just win it

Yep. Seen elsewhere that Villa lost 15 league games when they won it in '82 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Yep. Seen elsewhere that Villa lost 15 league games when they won it in '82 

Liverpool in season 80/81 were almost as bad in the league, 17 draws and 8 losses led to a 5th placed finish.

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Going to do the exact same with Liverpool.  LOL 

I stuck €10 ew on Tottenham at 25/1 before Man City game so I have a few bob already up. Just couldn't put a bet on the Pool in final. In fairness you have better odds on Tottenham anyhow.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:42pm
Not a very exciting final unless you're a fan of either team

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Not exciting because we get to see them play each otehr regularly, but they're two good teams.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:20pm

Two of the greatest comebacks in European history !!!

You’re hard to please.

Explain.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:38am
There’s more than 2 countries in Europe Bob!

-------------

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:47am
Anyone heading over to this? Got Flights for about 160 all in, Shannon - Ibiza - Madrid on the way over for 60 and Madrid - Faro - Shannon for €120 back. Accom is absolutely impossible to get though. Heading over without a ticket aswell.

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Anyone heading over to this? Got Flights for about 160 all in, Shannon - Ibiza - Madrid on the way over for 60 and Madrid - Faro - Shannon for €120 back. Accom is absolutely impossible to get though. Heading over without a ticket aswell.
m

Have you those flight details please??

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:03pm
All Ryanair, Wednesday to Monday.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

You’re hard to please.

Explain.

Familiarity of the teams. Other than Bayern and Dortmund, same country finalists usually disappoint. And not having Ajax in it just seems have taken the gloss off it. 

I hope I'm wrong 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:38pm

You’re hard to please.

Explain.

Familiarity of the teams. Other than Bayern and Dortmund, same country finalists usually disappoint. And not having Ajax in it just seems have taken the gloss off it. 

I hope I'm wrong 
The lack of competition in the Champions League has to be affecting it a little bit. I have no idea of the viewing figures for it, but they must be way down for the group stages at least ?Ajax offered a little bit of unpredictability, the way Leicester did for the EPL a few years ago, but it is all very staid. People are acting like Spurs getting to the final is a miracle!

For a competition for the 'champions'(Embarrassed) of 54 of UEFA's 55 members, it is a bit boring that the only conceivable winners in the future are 10-12 clubs from the same 5 leagues. The 4 EPL teams(from 6 realistic qualifiers) , Barcelona and Real(Atletico at a push), PSG, Juventus and Bayern Munich. 

What odds would you get on a winner outside that group in the next five years? Football fans used to laugh at the European rugby competitions, but they are very similar in terms of competitiveness now.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You’re hard to please.

Explain.

I hope I'm wrong 
The lack of competition in the Champions League has to be affecting it a little bit. I have no idea of the viewing figures for it, but they must be way down for the group stages at least ?Ajax offered a little bit of unpredictability, the way Leicester did for the EPL a few years ago, but it is all very staid. People are acting like Spurs getting to the final is a miracle!

For a competition for the 'champions'(Embarrassed) of 54 of UEFA's 55 members, it is a bit boring that the only conceivable winners in the future are 10-12 clubs from the same 5 leagues. The 4 EPL teams(from 6 realistic qualifiers) , Barcelona and Real(Atletico at a push), PSG, Juventus and Bayern Munich. 

What odds would you get on a winner outside that group in the next five years? Football fans used to laugh at the European rugby competitions, but they are very similar in terms of competitiveness now.

Isn't that like any sporting competition tough?

I'd imagine competitive balance is falling in all leagues (football) and across sports.

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:55pm

Yes

Basing myself in Valencia - arriving the afternoon of the match and heading back on a train the next morning

Thursday: Dublin-Paris €54
Friday: Paris - Valencia €44
Saturday: Valencia-Madrid train €39
Sunday: Madrid - Valencia train €51
Monday: Valencia - Barcelona train €36
Monday: Girona - Cork €29

Valencia - Madrid train takes 1 hour and 50 minutes

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Yes

Basing myself in Valencia - arriving the afternoon of the match and heading back on a train the next morning

class LOLClap

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Yes

class LOLClap
I got a crack squad of Munster rugby supporters to help me with the research

Their reputation for being the masters of planes, trains and automobiles precedes them

However they suggested flying to Stockholm, then Morocco and rowing a boat across to Spain before thumbing a lift to Madrid

I said thanks but no thanks for the advice

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:29pm

I'm not disputing your general point about decreasing competitiveness etc, but it's not just about money and the big clubs using it to dominant the others etc.

We should also remember in the old days, there weren't anything like 54 competing leagues/associations.

Take 1966-67, for example. Even with the USSR participating for the first time, there were still only 36 entrants, inc. KR (Iceland), Esjberg (Denmark), Haka (Finland), Omonia (Cyprus), Valerenga (Norway), 17 Nentori (Albania), Aris (Luxembourg) and Linfield in the 1st Round. 
[There had also been a Preliminary Round involving Sliema (Malta) vs CSKA (Bulgaria) and Waterford vs Vorwaerts (E.Germany).]

Bar CSKA, all of those will have been part-time, or close to it.

Now I'm not saying Celtic didn't deserve to win it - I'm sure they did - but to get to the Final, they beat Zurich, Nantes, Dukla Prague and Vojvodina, decent enough sides, but wouldn't get out of a Group stage these days I suspect.

Even more curious, Linfield got to the quarter final that year by beating Aris and Valerenga. They were eventually eliminated by CSKA Bulgaria, drawing 2-2 in Belfast and losing 1-0 in Sofia. Worse still, they had sold their gk, Iam McFaul to Newcastle before the Quarter Final and his replacement, Moffat, had a bit of a nightmare, I believe.  Of course, had they gone through they'd have faced Inter(!), but even then, CSKA managed two 1-1 draws, before losing 1-0 in a decider, played in Bologna.

Now I don't know what, if anything, that says about the modern Champions League.

But it does suggest that there was a fair bit of rubbish in the "Glory Days" of the old European Cup!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966%E2%80%9367_European_Cup" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966%E2%80%9367_European_Cup  

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:34pm
Would there be more potential winners of the Champions League at the start of each year than there are of the World Cup, The Euros, The EPL, La Liga, The SPFL, The all Ireland championships, The rugby world cup, Bundesliga, the Heineken Cup (or whatever its called now), Wimbledon, The F1 championship....etc etc

In this day and age having 10-12 possible winners of a competition is rare in sport.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:46pm
The NFL would have a broad scope of potential winners, and in some cases that can change over a very short period of time. The Patriots have been remarkable, but not unbeatable, and when you enter any given year, there are a good number of teams that have a real shot.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:56pm

Yes

Nice, did you get accom for the Saturday night alright?

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

You’re hard to please.

Explain.

I hope I'm wrong 

Isn't that like any sporting competition tough?

I'd imagine competitive balance is falling in all leagues (football) and across sports.
Any sporting competition now, yes. That’s my point!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:19pm

Yes

Nice, did you get accom for the Saturday night alright?

Not staying in Madrid

Accommodation there is bonkers expensive

You're talking €300-€400 just for a dorm bed

Have accommodation booked in Valencia for Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Only getting into Madrid at 5pm Saturday - kick-off is 9pm

Going to pull an all-nighter or kip down anywhere I can

Might look into bringing a sleeping bag though I will continue to look for accommodation in Madrid for the Saturday night as the time comes nearer just in case things start freeing up

Train back to Valencia at 9:40am Sunday arriving 11:24am

Will likely spend all of Sunday afternoon asleep

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:28pm
Salamanca is another option along the lines of Valencia

It's about 130 miles from Madrid with a good train service

But would also involve pulling an all-nighter - accommodation anywhere outside Madrid does really as there are no late night trains I know of

But accommodation is much more reasonably priced in a place like that - it's dirt cheap actually

Apparently there's a bar in Salamanca called the Liverpool bar

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:48pm
Already have accom booked for very reasonable prices for all nights except the Saturday! Would usually be on the ball with these things but it was a bit last-minute, presume you got a ticket okay if you're only in Madrid for a few hours?

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Would there be more potential winners of the Champions League at the start of each year than there are of the World Cup, The Euros, The EPL, La Liga, The SPFL, The all Ireland championships, The rugby world cup, Bundesliga, the Heineken Cup (or whatever its called now), Wimbledon, The F1 championship....etc etc

In this day and age having 10-12 possible winners of a competition is rare in sport.
Which is exactly the problem with this day and age. The specific problem with this competition is that it used to be incredibly difficult to predict the entrants, never mind the winners.

The reason I still enjoy international football so much, despite the best efforts of those that ru(i)n it, is that it is a meritocracy, or as close as you will find within sport. Whoever produces the best team wins, with the sporting luck and chance that requires. Ireland may have little hope of winning the World Cup due to obvious geopolitical reasons, but there is theoretically nothing to stop us from doing so. If we produce a good enough team and a good enough manager, we will have a chance. Ajax, for example,have produced a capable team that will go on to win the competition for other clubs, no doubt. 

There is no doubt that there has always been teams and clubs with the odds in their favour, but European football was much more meritocratic in the past. Not being from one of the big five leagues was not a block on being European champions. 
Now, I am sure ‘second tier’ or ‘rate’ clubs from countries that produced European cup winners would argue about ‘big twos’ and big ‘threes’ having it sewn up in their countries. The two Glasgow clubs, or PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord, for example,but all these clubs got to being dominant, by and large, on merit.

As for the arguments that it was ‘easier’ to win the European Cup in the old days, I would say the complete opposite. The Lisbon Lions might only get to the group stages now, but this year’s winners wouldn’t even have qualified in 1967. I would also argue that the gap between ‘full-time’ and ‘part-time’ football within the competition wasn’t as big as it sounds by today’s standards. Many finalists and even winners had only moved to professionalism a short time before. Panathinaikos and Feyenoord are two, off the top of my head.

In short, for a continental competition, you shouldn’t have a pool of 12 teams to pick the four semi-finalists for next season, never mind a deade’s time. The fact one of the greatest clubs in the sport nearly caused a surprise in getting to the final bears it out. 

I would be in favour of these 12 clubs buggering off to a super league, it would leave everyone else to get back to football. The only real objections would be financial, as far as I can see, which is why it should happen but why the teams who would benefit the most would be against it. Overall, I think it is worse for the fans. 

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:57pm
I've tried to see what times the first trains leave Madrid on Sunday morning; there's a regional train to Valencia at 06:20. That does require quite a long night in Madrid but, as it takes the old line, it takes almost 7 hours, so you'd get plenty of sleep on it at least, and it's only €28.

If you don't mind not sleeping til after 6am, it might be an option.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:03pm

Already have accom booked for very reasonable prices for all nights except the Saturday! Would usually be on the ball with these things but it was a bit last-minute, presume you got a ticket okay if you're only in Madrid for a few hours?
No ticket and I presume I won't have one

But sure what about it

Though if you have one spare TongueLOL

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I've tried to see what times the first trains leave Madrid on Sunday morning; there's a regional train to Valencia at 06:20. That does require quite a long night in Madrid but, as it takes the old line, it takes almost 7 hours, so you'd get plenty of sleep on it at least, and it's only €28.

If you don't mind not sleeping til after 6am, it might be an option.
Wouldn't be back in Valencia until after 1pm

That's two hours after the fast train gets back

If you know you're doing an all-nighter at least you can pace yourself

Have experience of doing such in Spanish cities previously though I was only a garsun then, it's a bit more difficult to do it now though

-------------

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:06pm

Ryanair put an additional flight on direct to Madrid on the Friday which I booked, it's €700 so a chunk of change but we've likely got free accom through friends living there which helps a lot.

I came up with the notion or renting a camper van for the two nights if the accom didn't come though. There is a site which is the equivalent of Airbnb for campers so locals can make money off their personal campers.
Was coming in at €120 a day so way cheaper than the hotels, you can park close to the action and it's a novelty. Anyone looking for accom maybe look in to that?

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:50pm
Who has £700 in change?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:58pm

Going to pull an all-nighter or kip down anywhere I can
Me too.

Might look into bringing a sleeping bag
A sleeping bag?

How do you imagine you're going to get peace to sleep on the Saturday night when there's 50k(?) Scousers and Yids all out on the town, most of them without anywhere themselves?

Madrid will be awash in beer, piss and puke, so you won't even get somewhere dry, never mind quiet!

... though I will continue to look for accommodation in Madrid for the Saturday night as the time comes nearer just in case things start freeing up
I'd love to think the same, but when even Pochettino is struggling to find somewhere for some friends flying in from Argentina, I'd say there's no chance.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

A sleeping bag?

How do you imagine you're going to get peace to sleep on the Saturday night when there's 50k(?) Scousers and Yids all out on the town, most of them without anywhere themselves?

Madrid will be awash in beer, piss and puke, so you won't even get somewhere dry, never mind quiet!

Should have said shopping bag

M&S do some lovely padded ones now I hear

Great for kipping down on in overcrowded continental cities

-------------

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:14pm

Already have accom booked for very reasonable prices for all nights except the Saturday!

That’s the only night that matters surely.

Have you a budget in mind for a ticket out of curiosity? I saw tickets on a 3rd party site the other day for over €4K with a face value of €60, madness. 

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Fitzinho Fitzinho wrote:

Ryanair put an additional flight on direct to Madrid on the Friday which I booked, it's €700 so a chunk of change but we've likely got free accom through friends living there which helps a lot.

I came up with the notion or renting a camper van for the two nights if the accom didn't come though. There is a site which is the equivalent of Airbnb for campers so locals can make money off their personal campers.
Was coming in at €120 a day so way cheaper than the hotels, you can park close to the action and it's a novelty. Anyone looking for accom maybe look in to that?

This sounds unreal, neither of us drive but we know a few over there who might park it up for us, what's the name of this site?

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Already have accom booked for very reasonable prices for all nights except the Saturday!

Have you a budget in mind for a ticket out of curiosity? I saw tickets on a 3rd party site the other day for over €4K with a face value of €60, madness. 

Not too bothered about tickets, will certainly not be paying over a few hundred for them so unless there is a miracle I won't be going to the match, neither a Liverpool or Spurs fan so it could be worse!

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:24am

Not too bothered about tickets, will certainly not be paying over a few hundred for them so unless there is a miracle I won't be going to the match, neither a Liverpool or Spurs fan so it could be worse!
LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:37pm

eh? 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:12pm
Best mate is a Liverpool fan so 2 of us heading over. imagine a football fan heading over to Madrid to soak in the atmosphere the weekend of the champions League final Shocked It's not that I'm not too bothered about tickets, I have just admitted defeat that I will not get any for under €500.

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:07pm
Plenty of accom popping up on booking, Thursday - Saturday booked for €160, 2 nights in hostel and 1 in apartment

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:20am
The 3 week break definitely suits Spurs. They were looking tired the last few weeks and struggled in the league. 
Hopefully have Kane and Winks back even if it’s just options on the bench.

Liverpool were on fire the last few weeks and if the game was this weekend you could see Liverpool winning by 2/3 goals.

I’d still have them as favourites but it should be a closer contest now. 

-------------

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:30am
Got a ticket , face value , will have circumnavigated the globe by the 4th of June but fingers crossed Spurs will take cup against  the odds . See you in Madrid ...COYS!

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:54am
The White Cafu, a lad on my 11s team is going over but isn't too hopeful on the ticket front. 

If you hear of a location in the city to watch the game on a big screen, post it up 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:33pm

The White Cafu, a lad on my 11s team is going over but isn't too hopeful on the ticket front. 

If you hear of a location in the city to watch the game on a big screen, post it up 

From this link :  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/liverpool-fc-vs-tottenham-hotspur-fc-travel-advice" rel="nofollow - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/liverpool-fc-vs-tottenham-hotspur-fc-travel-advice

"Supporters without tickets

There will be NO live screening of the match in the Fan Zones or Festival areas. Supporters without tickets will not be short of options to watch the game live though as Madrid is a city that loves bars and loves football and there will be plenty of places to watch the game live."

Plenty of other information about fanzones in that link but looks like there will be no big outdoor screening.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 6:49am
Looks like Kane will make the squad for the final.

He’s not played since the 1/4 final which seems a long time ago now. It would be great to have him on the bench.

Winks is also hopeful so could have a full squad to choose from.

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:05am
accommodation available on booking thurs to Sunday  - a bit pricey but not eye watering given the teams/location 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

accommodation available on booking thurs to Sunday  - a bit pricey but not eye watering given the teams/location 

Quite a bit has popped up over the past week, Other fans who booked with free cancellation cancelling it I presume. Managed to get a 4 star hotel 10 mins from the city centre for €140 each from Thursday to Monday by checking booking every hour or so in work, so definitely worth still looking if anyone has something expensive booked with free cancellation.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:15pm
€350 for a room in a hotel less than 10 minutes walk from the stadium, and a four star hotel at that, for Saturday night.

There have clearly been a lot of cancellations. There are loads of hotel rooms now available.

You can also book hotel rooms for the 2020 final in Istanbul right now for €20 LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:51pm

Oops!

Just seen TWC's post, above.

Bloody ridiculous that they don't have big screens at the fanzones, to keep fans without tickets from both clubs from going out towards the stadium anyway.

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:27pm

Oops!

Bloody ridiculous that they don't have big screens at the fanzones, to keep fans without tickets from both clubs from going out towards the stadium anyway.

Fanzones are for bed wetters 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:33pm

Oops!

1. I'm not intending in visiting one myself (I was hoping that they might draw off some of the crowds from wherever I end up);
2. I don't have a bed in Madrid, wet or dry. Wink

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:38pm

Oops!

1. I'm not intending in visiting one myself (I was hoping that they might draw off some of the crowds from wherever I end up);
2. I don't have a bed in Madrid, wet or dry. Wink

1 fair point - one I have used myself when I come to think of it 

2 being bored this morning I checked booking..com and prices were certainly affordable 

-------------

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:49pm

€350 for a room in a hotel less than 10 minutes walk from the stadium, and a four star hotel at that, for Saturday night.

There have clearly been a lot of cancellations. There are loads of hotel rooms now available.

You can also book hotel rooms for the 2020 final in Istanbul right now for €20 LOL

Rooms will be about ten times that once Liverpool reach the final again (every season Klopp has managed Liverpool in Europe, they've reached the final)

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Rooms will be about ten times that once Liverpool reach the final again (every season Klopp has managed Liverpool in Europe, they've reached the final)

Not in 2017 they didn't

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Not in 2017 they didn't

Indeed Denis. I believe that 2017 was the only time Klopp lost in a 2 legged European tie as Liverpool manager. Oh wait...

-------------

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:45pm
Just Booked

700 all in 2 nights in city centre hotel

Dublin Zurich Madrid  Friday
Madrid Munich Dublin Sunday

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Posted By: Joe Stalin
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:23am
As a matter of interest, what do Irish fans of these Brit clubs do at these away trips? Your average local fan of these clubs despises the tourist fans be they Paddies or Norwegians 

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

As a matter of interest, what do Irish fans of these Brit clubs do at these away trips? Your average local fan of these clubs despises the tourist fans be they Paddies or Norwegians 
Once you throw a few plastic chairs at the dagos you be grand

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:28am

Not that I go to any of these games. But these clubs have very little local or English players or supporters for that matter.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: JohnSwift
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Not that I go to any of these games. But these clubs have very little local or English players or supporters for that matter.

I don't think that's quite true. Spurs have a huge London fan base. Liverpool also have a large contingent of local supporters. They've traditionally been the Protestant club in the city, whereas Everton have tended to attract the Irish emigrant support.

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

I don't think that's quite true. Spurs have a huge London fan base. Liverpool also have a large contingent of local supporters. They've traditionally been the Protestant club in the city, whereas Everton have tended to attract the Irish emigrant support.
Damon Grant in Brookside was a Catholic and he supported Liverpool !!!

PS The 1890’s rang......

Also as you’ve brought religion into it why havent you mentioned that Spurs have a large Jewish fanbase. Or is it just Protestants you hate ?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:27am

Highlight of lastnight was witnessing an Irish Liverpool fan starting on a Londoner Liverpool fan because “he shouldn’t support Liverpool because he’s from London”

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:30am

Highlight of lastnight was witnessing an Irish Liverpool fan starting on a Londoner Liverpool fan because “he shouldn’t support Liverpool because he’s from London”

f**king hell LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:35am
Nearly as bad as Irish Arsenal fans wanting Spurs to win.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:37am

Your average local fan of these clubs despises the tourist fans be they Paddies or Norwegians 

absolute rubbish , i have been to hundreds of games in london, chelsea , millwall ,etc etc  and I never once heard any supporter say anything against supporters who came from other countries, they like that fact the foreigners follow their team, you're talking sh*te 

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:36am

Wow LOL

Posted By: JohnSwift
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:45am

Damon Grant in Brookside was a Catholic and he supported Liverpool !!!

PS The 1890’s rang......

Also as you’ve brought religion into it why havent you mentioned that Spurs have a large Jewish fanbase. Or is it just Protestants you hate ?

Not really sure where you've got the idea that I "hate" Protestants.  In fact, I am one so that just shows how ridiculous your comment is.  The point I was making is that Liverpool rely on a strong local support from the city of Liverpool, whereas there is a perception (rightly or wrongly) that Everton are the Irish club in the city.

As for the Jewish connection at Spurs, I think that's been well documented over the years and serves to illustrate the club's strong connection to North London.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:51am

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Highlight of lastnight was witnessing an Irish Liverpool fan starting on a Londoner Liverpool fan because “he shouldn’t support Liverpool because he’s from London”</span>

Looks like you copied that from somewhere.

I find that hard to believe anyway.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Wow LOL

it was you walls wasnt it ? 

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:12am

Not really sure where you've got the idea that I "hate" Protestants.  In fact, I am one so that just shows how ridiculous your comment is.  The point I was making is that Liverpool rely on a strong local support from the city of Liverpool, whereas there is a perception (rightly or wrongly) that Everton are the Irish club in the city.
I don't know you so wouldn't know that but am delighted to hear it.
Just assumed you were another bigoted Celtic fan.

Yes its true most Irish people have no idea of the historic connections with English clubs.
They all like to claim an Irish connection.
Like I cant understand Irish people supporting Chelsea and I know a good few.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:22am

Most Irish immigration to Liverpool was between 1845-1850 long before Everton FC (1878) or Liverpool FC (1892) we’re formed.
The traditional Catholic area was between the Dock Road and Scotland Road (Vauxhall), the traditional Protestant area was around Netherfield Road (Everton), the unofficial border between the two communities was Great Homer Street.
The two communities were nearly all rehoused between 1945 and 1965 and scattered to newly built estates on the outskirts of the city, Netherton, Kirkby, Croxteth, Cantril Farm, Huyton, Netherley, Halewood and Speke. This is credited with largely bringing an end to the sectarian divide in the city.

Certainly by the 1970’s and 1980’s Everton FC and Liverpool FC both had near enough 50/50 Catholic/Protestant support if the Celtic/Rangers chant (1970’s) or the number of half and half hats (1980’s) was anything to go by.
Went to about 60 games at Anfield (Road End in the 70’s and the Kop in the 80’s) and about 40 games at Goodison Park (Gwladys Street End) between 1975 and 1984. 

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:32am

Your average local fan of these clubs despises the tourist fans be they Paddies or Norwegians 

absolute rubbish , i have been to hundreds of games in london, chelsea , millwall ,etc etc  and I never once heard any supporter say anything against supporters who came from other countries, they like that fact the foreigners follow their team, you're talking sh*te 
London is a bit different, clubs like Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal have virtually no support that walks to the ground. There is definitely that attitude at Liverpool, or there was anyway. Plenty of references to ‘wools’ and day trippers.
Chelsea and West Ham fans tend to hate all foreigners though, including their parents in some cases.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:37am

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Highlight of lastnight was witnessing an Irish Liverpool fan starting on a Londoner Liverpool fan because “he shouldn’t support Liverpool because he’s from London”</span>

Looks like you copied that from somewhere.

I find that hard to believe anyway.

I did, my own tweet. 

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Most Irish immigration to Liverpool was between 1845-1850 long before Everton FC (1878) or Liverpool FC (1892) we’re formed.
The traditional Catholic area was between the Dock Road and Scotland Road (Vauxhall), the traditional Protestant area was around Netherfield Road (Everton), the unofficial border between the two communities was Great Homer Street.
The two communities were nearly all rehoused between 1945 and 1965 and scattered to newly built estates on the outskirts of the city, Netherton, Kirkby, Croxteth, Cantril Farm, Huyton, Netherley, Halewood and Speke. This is credited with largely bringing an end to the sectarian divide in the city.

Certainly by the 1970’s and 1980’s Everton FC and Liverpool FC both had near enough 50/50 Catholic/Protestant support if the Celtic/Rangers chant (1970’s) or the number of half and half hats (1980’s) was anything to go by.
Went to about 60 games at Anfield (Road End in the 70’s and the Kop in the 80’s) and about 40 games at Goodison Park (Gwladys Street End) between 1975 and 1984. 

Older Celtic fans often have a soft spot for Everton and a deep dislike for Everton. Testimonials and Hillsbrough changed things, but I remember being in Baird’s in ‘03 when it was attacked by Scouse ‘loyalists’.
It is f**king mental that Glasgow is still divided in the way mentioned by schooling and so many on both sides still want it to be!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:51am

Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Older Celtic fans often have a soft spot for Everton and a deep dislike for Everton. Testimonials and Hillsbrough changed things, but I remember being in Baird’s in ‘03 when it was attacked by Scouse ‘loyalists’.
It is f**king mental that Glasgow is still divided in the way mentioned by schooling and so many on both sides still want it to be!

Sounds like a love-hate relationship

I was in Haughians before that game in 03 and there were scouse Liverpool fans in enjoying the songs

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 12:02pm
I meant Liverpool, oops! 

There were Liverpool fans in Baird’s too, I remember talking to the pin badge fella in there.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:37pm

London is a bit different, clubs like Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal have virtually no support that walks to the ground. There is definitely that attitude at Liverpool, or there was anyway. Plenty of references to ‘wools’ and day trippers.
Chelsea and West Ham fans tend to hate all foreigners though, including their parents in some cases.

I would be pretty sure that was short for woolly backs - meaning principally those from Birkenhead  

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:47pm
That is how it originated, yes, although not just Birkenhead. It would be hard to be a HMHB fan and not know that! It has come to mean anyone who regularly travels in to Anfield from outside Liverpool. North Walians are ‘wools’ too, for example.

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 2:06pm

I don't know you so wouldn't know that but am delighted to hear it.
Just assumed you were another bigoted Celtic fan.

Yes its true most Irish people have no idea of the historic connections with English clubs.
They all like to claim an Irish connection.
Like I cant understand Irish people supporting Chelsea and I know a good few.

What I don't understand is, how can people say your Irish so you shouldn't support Chelsea because of anti Irishness from their fans, yet it's ok to support another English team despite everything that the English have done to Ireland for hundreds of years! It makes no sense to me to say it's ok to support one English team over another. Either don't support any of them them or let people support whoever they want.

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 2:32pm
Bohemains or Bohemians of Prague.......Arsenal or Arsenal Tula.......support whoever you want.
Just keep your club loyalties away from the national team.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net