You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chernobyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:45pm
Excellent show.

Surprise to see Finchey and Rats both making an appearance
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:56pm
Best tv show in ages riveting.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:21pm
Jared Harris ClapClapClap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
tatatutka3 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatatutka3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:30am
I really liked this serail, I hope there will be more

-----------------
 http://thebookwormslibrary.com

Edited by tatatutka3 - 11 Jun 2019 at 10:34am
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:57am
Russian TV making their own drama about the tragedy with a totally different slant claiming external factors were at play...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Russian TV making their own drama about the tragedy with a totally different slant claiming external factors were at play...

Read about that alright, saying it was a CIA infiltrator who sabotaged the plant.

Russians LOL

Still claiming they done nothing wrong
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:36am
Is is that unlikely? I have come across that theory before and, as conspiracy theories go, it isn’t exactly up there with ‘the Jews done 9/11’.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:51am
Very unlikely, to the point of impossible.

The long and short of it was extreme negligence.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Without being smart, how on earth would you know? It is hardly inconceivable and we hardly have all the evidence to hand.

It appears to be fanciful, but I wouldn’t be so dismissive. A lot of things happened in the Cold War, on all sides, that were a complete mess and may never be properly explained due to the fall-out. ( sorry!)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Without being smart, how on earth would you know? It is hardly inconceivable and we hardly have all the evidence to hand.

It appears to be fanciful, but I wouldn’t be so dismissive. A lot of things happened in the Cold War, on all sides, that were a complete mess and may never be properly explained due to the fall-out. ( sorry!)

Why would the yanks cause a catastrophe like a nuclear explosion though that could have had devastating consequences for western Europe, its main ally though. 

Plus the cold war had ended on 25 December 1985.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:21am

I’m not going to appeal to my own intelligence (or lack thereof!), but I mentioned earlier in the thread how I got a personal lecture from somebody very experienced in the field about how it happened, and why it happened. It was a horrendous accident, facilitated by poor management, poor timing, and repeated failure over several years of similar testing. Also, a lot of the evidence is based on science, which includes things such as the boiling point of water.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:26am
What devastating consequences were there outside Ukraine and Belarus?
It was also believed to have housed radar equipment.
I don’t think either side would have let the supposed end of the Cold War get in the way of their paranoia.

As I said, it is fanciful but we have no idea. This idea that it is totally inconceivable seems odd. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:34am
The thing is though, there is a lot known about it. A key piece of information was the long standing efforts by the plant to perform the tests which led to the disaster. It was also well known that there was a shift change after the day had been spent preparing the test. It was known that the control rods which regulates the core temperature were deliberately removed to simulate heated conditions, and it is known that the regulating water evaporated inside a system which no longer had a failsafe mechanism.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:34am

What devastating consequences were there outside Ukraine and Belarus?
It was also believed to have housed radar equipment.
I don’t think either side would have let the supposed end of the Cold War get in the way of their paranoia.

As I said, it is fanciful but we have no idea. This idea that it is totally inconceivable seems odd. 

If the weather had blown towards Germany wouldn't there have been a lot more damage?  It only was spotted that there was an explosion outside of the USSR because Sweden registered abnormal radiation levels in their airspace.  Also I suppose the containment of the explosion to some degree prevented a wider catastrophe. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:40am

The thing is though, there is a lot known about it. A key piece of information was the long standing efforts by the plant to perform the tests which led to the disaster. It was also well known that there was a shift change after the day had been spent preparing the test. It was known that the control rods which regulates the core temperature were deliberately removed to simulate heated conditions, and it is known that the regulating water evaporated inside a system which no longer had a failsafe mechanism.
Sure, but there has been some disagreements about the cause for a while and scientists aren’t entirely agreed.

If this unlikely theory is correct, the onus is on the Russians to prove it, and perhaps not via a tv show. It is most likely to be half-cocked propaganda, but it is hardly as inconceivable as being made out. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:48am
Personally, I think it is inconceivable , as the facts do tally up. Scientists do disagree, but the consensus on many scientific factors contributing to the disaster are not capable of debate. A prime example is the effect on the water within the reactor.

What does interests me is how on the back of a TV show, which people have been raving about the Russians now feel the need to tell their “side of the story”, in suggesting American involvement, at a time when the aim of Russian media has generally been viewed as entertaining populists and extremist politicians who are doing a fine job at destabilising trust and confidence in Government, which is seen as an aim.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:55am

Personally, I think it is inconceivable , as the facts do tally up. Scientists do disagree, but the consensus on many scientific factors contributing to the disaster are not capable of debate. A prime example is the effect on the water within the reactor.

What does interests me is how on the back of a TV show, which people have been raving about the Russians now feel the need to tell their “side of the story”, in suggesting American involvement, at a time when the aim of Russian media has generally been viewed as entertaining populists and extremist politicians who are doing a fine job at destabilising trust and confidence in Government, which is seen as an aim.

I saw a clip recently of Putin playing some exhibition ice hockey game and he was playing against pro ice hockey players.  The players let him score about 5 goals in the game and were afraid to tackle him or stop his shots lest they fall off a high rise building in the near future.  Putin was then given a post match hero's reception by the crowd.

Its like something from Goebbels times.  The world is regressing into a dangerous place.  I've no doubts another major war is on the horizon somewhere in the world.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 11:25am
The debate around the Skripal affair last year was a good insight into the operations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic