Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56960
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 5:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chernobyl
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Chernobyl
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:36am
Hear that word and what comes to mind?   Dundalk? Holyhead? Well its actually a new tv series about the nuclear disaster.  Normally I never watch tv drama box set type series but this looks like it might be somewhat interesting.  I don't have Sky Atlantic however so going to have to get it off Q Man on a dodgy dvd.Wink

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:01am
About 10 years ago I got lectured over a pint by a nuclear engineer about the causes of the disaster, and how it was entirely preventable, and a product of unbelievable mismanagement. People though still point to it as a reason to avoid using nuclear.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

About 10 years ago I got lectured over a pint by a nuclear engineer about the causes of the disaster, and how it was entirely preventable, and a product of unbelievable mismanagement. People though still point to it as a reason to avoid using nuclear.

It was 100% avoidable, they were doing a routine test of what would happen if there was a power outage but didn't follow the set checklist for it.

There was also design faults when initially building as they didn't factor in any emergency protocols for what eventually happened as they didn't think it would happen

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:15am
There would have been a ‘Chernobyl’ at Sellafield in 1957, it seems widespread disaster was prevented by an incredibly brave gamble by an employee.
I’m sure that nuclear scientists will tell you that they are safe, they probably are if things go smoothly, but the cancer rates in the areas near Sellafield can’t just be a coincidence. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There would have been a ‘Chernobyl’ at Sellafield in 1957, it seems widespread disaster was prevented by an incredibly brave gamble by an employee.
I’m sure that nuclear scientists will tell you that they are safe, they probably are if things go smoothly, but the cancer rates in the areas near Sellafield can’t just be a coincidence. 

Sellafield even as a word just sounds like a kip

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:23am

But that’s the difference between proper management, even if it is considered a gamble, and what made the difference with Chernobyl.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:31am
It wouldn’t appear to have been proper management, based on the ‘hero of the hour’s’ account of it, although it did lead to proper management as a result.

It still doesn’t change the bizarre cancer statistics for Seascale, the closest village to Sellafield, or even in Louth and Armagh. Whether these statistics are as a result of a different kind of mismanagement, I don’t know, but something isn’t right.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:51am
Workers on the site trying to contain the radiation can only hop in for 15 mins at a time then have to be changed over and hosed down etc. Madness. 

Our Planet were showing the works and the giant housing/arch that is going to cover the core to try further limit the leaks.

But insane that wild animals are starting to thrive in the area. 

Image result for our planet chernobyl

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:53am
There is also a community that returned to the exclusion zone not long after the disaster struck. Tourists (macabre as I believe such tourism can be) also are there regularly.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:00pm

There is also a community that returned to the exclusion zone not long after the disaster struck. Tourists (macabre as I believe such tourism can be) also are there regularly.
I read a weird, but wonderful, article about a stag party to Chernobyl that handled the whole thing in the best possible taste. 

-------------

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Workers on the site trying to contain the radiation can only hop in for 15 mins at a time then have to be changed over and hosed down etc. Madness. 

Our Planet were showing the works and the giant housing/arch that is going to cover the core to try further limit the leaks.

But insane that wild animals are starting to thrive in the area. 

Image result for our planet chernobyl

Jaysus Dalymount is looking well LOL

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:41pm
very interesting thread though. a new for YBIG Thumbs Up 

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:41pm

I read a weird, but wonderful, article about a stag party to Chernobyl that handled the whole thing in the best possible taste. 

Yep I read that not too long ago myself seems a mad place for a stag alright

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:42pm
if ye find the article share it on here please

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:43pm
A stag in Chernobyl?LOL 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:47pm
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/articles/what-happened-on-a-stag-do-in-chernobyl/" rel="nofollow - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/articles/what-happened-on-a-stag-do-in-chernobyl/

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

if ye find the article share it on here please

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/articles/what-happened-on-a-stag-do-in-chernobyl/" rel="nofollow - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/articles/what-happened-on-a-stag-do-in-chernobyl/

This is the one

It's now behind a subscription wall though

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:50pm
Read it a few months ago too, great article.

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:57pm
Can't read it now.  What did they do? You can hardly go on the rip can you?  Mind you I'm sure the nightlife in Pripyat is way better than Holyhead's.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:13pm
There be the full article 

“Everybody smile. Say ‘cancer’!”

It’s not a joke many tour guides would dare to make when their group asks for a photo – but this wasn’t a typical tour and we weren’t your average punters.

My nine friends and I were on a stag do in Chernobyl. Not for us the predictable options of Amsterdam, Prague or Hamburg. We’d chosen to send our pal off on the road to married bliss with a trip to the most radioactive place on the planet, where - 32 years ago - a lethal nuclear catastrophe shocked the world. What could possibly go wrong?

So-called “dark” tourism, of course, is nothing new. Chernobyl tours have been offered since the late 1990s, while millions visit battlefields and former prison camps every year. Enterprising locals in Tuscany even offered boat trips to gawp at the wreck of Costa Concordia, and tourists in New Orleans were briefly encouraged to see the districts worst hit by Hurricane Katrina.

But is it acceptable to include such activities in a stag weekend?

In the majority of cases, I’d say not. Many “dark” tours are inappropriate whatever the circumstances. Slum visits, offered in Mumbai, Rio and South Africa, have always sat uneasily with me. I wouldn’t dream of visiting the floating wreck of a cruise ship, nor seek out the most devastated corners of a city that’s been hit by a natural disaster.

Furthermore, the sort of loutish men that ruin the reputation of British travellers should be kept well away from any location where sensitivity is required – and I’d be aghast if any stag party, no matter how sober, turned up at Auschwitz.

Chernobyl, while not as horrifying as a former concentration camp, is still a place where dozens lost their lives. But we were a sensible bunch. We took care not to drink excessively the night before – and, of course, spent the day with a suitably serious collective mindset.

The tours are conducted with sensitivity too, the aforementioned joke notwithstanding. But then Ukrainians like our guide tend to have a dark sense of humour. It comes from 100 years of revolutions, political corruption, war and famine – not to mention those bitterly cold winters (it was -6C on the November day we visited).

An organised tour is the only way to see Chernobyl. A handful of companies offer day trips from Kiev, as well as overnight stays – yes, there’s a rather spartan hotel inside the exclusion zone. We opted for the former, preferring the comforts of the Ukraine capital.

It’s a two-hour journey by minibus, during which time we were shown a documentary about the disaster and another on the ongoing efforts to clean up. The first checkpoint was 30km from the ill-fated power plant. Passports were scrutinised, legs stretched, and coffee and souvenirs - including gas masks - hawked. It was here we would be screened for radiation upon our departure, too.

Another check followed at 10km, before the first signs of abandonment arrived. The most famous “ghost” town is Pripyat, a few miles from the power plant and once home to 50,000 Soviet workers and their families, but smaller villages - also left behind - lie beyond it. In most cases the clean-up effort here consisted of simply bulldozing houses and burying them underground and we spied dozens of little mounds where homes once stood. In 1986 they would have been clearly visible from the road; now they are hidden behind new trees and increasingly hard to spot.

The Chernobyl town sign provided our group photo opportunity, and for the first time our guide unveiled his trusty Geiger counter. Background radiation in cities varies from around 0.1 to 0.4 microsieverts per hour, he explained. So what about the Chernobyl exclusion zone? We waited with baited breath, and a little apprehension, for the reading... 0.2. The explanation? Concrete. On the roads, radiation doesn’t linger. He then thrust the counter at the soil, and the reading rocketed to 10. That’s more like it.

Returning to our minibus we were surprised by the sight of three dogs bounding down the road towards us. Chernobyl, curiously, is home to hundreds of stray hounds who have learned to survive in the woods surrounding the power plant, dodging wolves and begging for scraps from guards, workers and tour guides. A non-profit US organisation, Clean Futures Fund, tags and neuters them, and even finds homes for some on American soil.

Not long after, we had our first glimpse of the power plant itself. Until recently this consisted of a concrete sarcophagus, hastily erected in the weeks after the disaster to stem the radiation pouring out of nuclear reactor number 4. But the levels in the immediate vicinity were still dangerous. Since 2016, however, the old Soviet structure has been contained within a vast £1bn steel arch that dominates the skyline. To protect workers it was constructed a few hundred metres away and moved into position on a teflon track. Inside, robotic arms are finally finishing the job of picking apart the nuclear muddle. It also means visitors can safely stand within 100 metres of the exact spot where the disaster began. Geiger counter reading? Just 0.8.

There are other buildings too. Chernobyl had three other reactors and continued to provide power until as recently as 2000. And activity, not just in the form of tourism, continues. We spot a few workers in blue overalls, a sign that the steel arch isn’t quite finished, while a new solar power plant opened here just last month. A little way up the road, in the small abandoned town of Chernobyl, is that tourist hotel, where we eat lunch alongside around 20 others. Is this all safe, we wondered? Tour companies insist it is, but that doesn’t sit too well with statements from Ukrainian officials suggesting the area will not be inhabitable for another 20,000 years. A few hours sounded fine but I wasn’t sure I’d fancy spending the night.

Our afternoon was dedicated to the highlight for most visitors: Pripyat. By far the biggest settlement in the exclusion zone, it is the original ghost town: a sprawling, Brutalist Cold War museum, frozen in time – but which nature is slowly reclaiming. Officially, you’re not supposed to enter the buildings – but tour guides are pretty relaxed when it comes to enforcing the rules, and most will lead you to the most eye-catching spots.

We visited the shell of a supermarket, with its numbered aisles, rusting shopping trolleys and empty freezers; the solemn fairground with its famous Ferris wheel, due to open four days after the explosion, but which never welcomed a single paying guest; a school whose textbooks, posters and wall charts are still there, gathering dust; and a vast echoey leisure centre.

Most haunting of all was the hospital, our final stop. After the explosion at the power plant, brave fireman were sent to put out the subsequent graphite fire. It was essentially a death sentence. Stricken with radiation poisoning, many were posted here, and the water-filled basement remains one of the most radioactive places in the world. We steered clear, but visited an eerie children’s ward filled with empty cradles, and a former operating theatre. As we exited, our guide pointed out the tattered remains of a fireman’s jacket. Geiger reading? 1,500. Time to go.  

Is Chernobyl a suitable stag do activity? If you want something you’ll remember for the rest of your life, it is a fine option for any sensitive traveller. It’s desolate, depressing, and like nothing else on Earth. And it will probably leave you in need of a stiff drink.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:23pm
Pripyat was a model town with all mod cons the USSR could provide to incentivise workers to relocate there to staff the reactor. By Soviet standards the shops were well stocked and it had top quality education and leisure facilities.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Pripyat was a model town with all mod cons the USSR could provide to incentivise workers to relocate there to staff the reactor. By Soviet standards the shops were well stocked and it had top quality education and leisure facilities.

I'd imagine Mosney is somewhat similar these days

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:35pm

LOL

Did they not change mosney into centre parcs?

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

LOL

Did they not change mosney into centre parcs?
Close enough, nowadays it is a type of concentration camp for a new type of tourist.

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:47pm
There's talk of building one of these in Newry.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

A Chernobyl? 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:12pm

Is that not where the original one was?

-------------

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:35pm

You are thinking of Larne

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:13pm
There was an old gag about Pripyat I remember from my schooldays when it happened that popped back into my head when I saw the trailer for this show.

Why should you never shag a bird from Pripyat?

Because Yernobyl fall out.

I'm here all week... 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:28pm
If we are going down that road, my favourite one was always: I can count on one hand the number of times I have been to Chernobyl. 14. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:33pm
I'd say the menu at that hotel in Chernobyl is interesting:

Chicken Chernobyl with graphite and uranium filling. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:38pm
There's talk of building a Disneyland there, they already have the six foot mice.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:45pm

If we are going down that road, my favourite one was always: I can count on one hand the number of times I have been to Chernobyl. 14. 

LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:48pm

A Chernobyl? 

LOLLOL

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:12am

It's certainly the impression you get, seeing some parts of Newry. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:49pm
Very interesting breakdown of the history of the plant, and the accident here. Just a heads up though, there is a bit about the radiation poisoning thats fairly graphic

http://imgur.com/a/TwY6q?fbclid=IwAR39YAh93YOm9_tUcbeWKqAbRgdWJTfG9-rgu8E-JXHo_4o5LbzlwUDnRyk" rel="nofollow - http://imgur.com/a/TwY6q?fbclid=IwAR39YAh93YOm9_tUcbeWKqAbRgdWJTfG9-rgu8E-JXHo_4o5LbzlwUDnRyk

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:51am
Watched the first two episodes of Chernobyl last night, bar the guys in the plant all having English cockney accents I think it's very good

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:58am

Watched the first two episodes of Chernobyl last night, bar the guys in the plant all having English cockney accents I think it's very good

Rather that then them "attempting" Russian accents 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:02am
It's excellent. The accents are a bit jarring initially but you get used to it. 

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

True,

As Drumconda says though you do get used to it.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:32am
This on Netflix?

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:34am
Not a bad reaction...

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:08am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

This on Netflix?

Sky Atlantic

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

+1

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Very interesting breakdown of the history of the plant, and the accident here. Just a heads up though, there is a bit about the radiation poisoning thats fairly graphic

http://imgur.com/a/TwY6q?fbclid=IwAR39YAh93YOm9_tUcbeWKqAbRgdWJTfG9-rgu8E-JXHo_4o5LbzlwUDnRyk" rel="nofollow - http://imgur.com/a/TwY6q?fbclid=IwAR39YAh93YOm9_tUcbeWKqAbRgdWJTfG9-rgu8E-JXHo_4o5LbzlwUDnRyk

Very interesting read Thumbs Up

Cheers DI I’ll see can I stream it from somewhere 

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:38am
I don’t know, it has worked out well for those meerkats!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:38am
Last nights episode was very harrowing. The effects of radiation poisoning Dead

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:39am

Last nights episode was very harrowing. The effects of radiation poisoning Dead

IndeedDead

Wouldn't recommend it  being the last thing someone watches before going to sleep

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:34am
I'd also recommend the podcasts realised after the episodes , the shows writer takes part in them and discusses the making of the show.

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:09pm
Hoping to stream this over the weekend, is there many episodes?

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:13pm

Hoping to stream this over the weekend, is there many episodes?

5 episodes altogether. 3rd one was on last night  

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:31pm
Well worth listening to an edition of the guardians "Today if Focus" podcast called "Are our Blueberries Radioactive ?".

Its about the aftermath/legacy of the accident in Chernobyl. It seems that Blueberries are grown on orchards on contaminated land in Belarus. When the blueberries are harvested they are tested for radioactivity levels and seperated between safe and unsave. The blueberries are then mixed in such a way that when retested, the overall level of radioactivity is safe.

The Blueberries are exported to the EU for packaging and sale.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:15pm
How does a squire such as myself obtain viewing pleasure of this televisual feast?  I do not have sky atlantic.

-------------

Posted By: inlikeflynn
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:11am

How does a squire such as myself obtain viewing pleasure of this televisual feast?  I do not have sky atlantic.

Get a Now TV box. 

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 9:36am

If you know someone with a Sky subscription you can stream it with the Sky Go app

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:06am
3 episodes in, excellent show Clap the detail in it is exceptional 

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:14am

3 episodes in, excellent show Clap the detail in it is exceptional 

Listened to the podcasts the other day about each episode (I believe I posted links)

For the 3rd episode they spoke about the main makeup guy doing extensive research into the stages of radiation poisoning, basically going above and beyond his basic role.

Looking forward to watching Episode 4 tonight

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:57pm
The puppies man the puppies Cry

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:58pm
another brilliant episode last night , the writer said on twitter that next weeks episode is all about what caused the accident and the build up to it in the control room , should be good 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:15pm
Finished the 3rd episode, it's been excellent so far. It's brilliantly made. The lack of a soundtrack actually adds to it as it heightens the tension and eeriness during the episodes. The hospital scenes in episode 3 are harrowing.

Someone on Twitter (seems to be Russian or Ukranian, Slava Malamud is the person's name) is breaking down each episode in terms of the characters, detail in each episode and some background events that weren't covered in the episodes. Well worth a read. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:24pm
The reviews of this are great, I must track it down. I thought it would be a disaster.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:31pm

The reviews of this are great, I must track it down. I thought it would be a disaster.

Yeah, I was worried about reactions on twitter like after Game of Thrones. So many people had meltdowns.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:39pm
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yeah, I was worried about reactions on twitter like after Game of Thrones. So many people had meltdowns.

Dreadful fallout from the finale alright. 

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 11:15pm
Episode 4 was a little boring

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:43am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It was my favourite episode so far.

Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It was my favourite episode so far.

I agree. 

The rooftop scene was just thrilling and the tension of it. You could really feel the panic of the lad who got stuck and fell. I actually went full goggle box screaming "get up man" 

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:42am
Biorobots 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 2:30am
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/shortcuts/2019/jun/04/chernobyl-welcomes-the-tourists-a-messy-and-morally-queasy-experience?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2OXejHIRbq0PmcsE8MMSrXdPC36gMyZt5afbv2QnWL6XcMXkiRyRctHEk#Echobox=1559668572" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/shortcuts/2019/jun/04/chernobyl-welcomes-the-tourists-a-messy-and-morally-queasy-experience?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2OXejHIRbq0PmcsE8MMSrXdPC36gMyZt5afbv2QnWL6XcMXkiRyRctHEk#Echobox=1559668572

Anyone ever been to Shannon town?  Looks like Pripyat

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:21am
The last episode really highlighted the level of imcomptence in what happened and how much was covered up

Fantastic show

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:42am

The last episode really highlighted the level of imcomptence in what happened and how much was covered up

Fantastic show

Best show I have watched in a long time Clap

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:45pm
Excellent show.

Surprise to see Finchey and Rats both making an appearance

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:56pm
Best tv show in ages riveting.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:21pm
Jared Harris ClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: tatatutka3
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:30am
I really liked this serail, I hope there will be more

-----------------
 http://thebookwormslibrary.com

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:57am
Russian TV making their own drama about the tragedy with a totally different slant claiming external factors were at play...

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:07am

Russian TV making their own drama about the tragedy with a totally different slant claiming external factors were at play...

Read about that alright, saying it was a CIA infiltrator who sabotaged the plant.

Russians LOL

Still claiming they done nothing wrong

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:36am
Is is that unlikely? I have come across that theory before and, as conspiracy theories go, it isn’t exactly up there with ‘the Jews done 9/11’.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:51am
Very unlikely, to the point of impossible.

The long and short of it was extreme negligence.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:14am

Without being smart, how on earth would you know? It is hardly inconceivable and we hardly have all the evidence to hand.

It appears to be fanciful, but I wouldn’t be so dismissive. A lot of things happened in the Cold War, on all sides, that were a complete mess and may never be properly explained due to the fall-out. ( sorry!)

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:18am

Without being smart, how on earth would you know? It is hardly inconceivable and we hardly have all the evidence to hand.

It appears to be fanciful, but I wouldn’t be so dismissive. A lot of things happened in the Cold War, on all sides, that were a complete mess and may never be properly explained due to the fall-out. ( sorry!)

Why would the yanks cause a catastrophe like a nuclear explosion though that could have had devastating consequences for western Europe, its main ally though. 

Plus the cold war had ended on 25 December 1985.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:21am

I’m not going to appeal to my own intelligence (or lack thereof!), but I mentioned earlier in the thread how I got a personal lecture from somebody very experienced in the field about how it happened, and why it happened. It was a horrendous accident, facilitated by poor management, poor timing, and repeated failure over several years of similar testing. Also, a lot of the evidence is based on science, which includes things such as the boiling point of water.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:26am
What devastating consequences were there outside Ukraine and Belarus?
It was also believed to have housed radar equipment.
I don’t think either side would have let the supposed end of the Cold War get in the way of their paranoia.

As I said, it is fanciful but we have no idea. This idea that it is totally inconceivable seems odd. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:34am
The thing is though, there is a lot known about it. A key piece of information was the long standing efforts by the plant to perform the tests which led to the disaster. It was also well known that there was a shift change after the day had been spent preparing the test. It was known that the control rods which regulates the core temperature were deliberately removed to simulate heated conditions, and it is known that the regulating water evaporated inside a system which no longer had a failsafe mechanism.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:34am

What devastating consequences were there outside Ukraine and Belarus?
It was also believed to have housed radar equipment.
I don’t think either side would have let the supposed end of the Cold War get in the way of their paranoia.

As I said, it is fanciful but we have no idea. This idea that it is totally inconceivable seems odd. 

If the weather had blown towards Germany wouldn't there have been a lot more damage?  It only was spotted that there was an explosion outside of the USSR because Sweden registered abnormal radiation levels in their airspace.  Also I suppose the containment of the explosion to some degree prevented a wider catastrophe. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:40am

The thing is though, there is a lot known about it. A key piece of information was the long standing efforts by the plant to perform the tests which led to the disaster. It was also well known that there was a shift change after the day had been spent preparing the test. It was known that the control rods which regulates the core temperature were deliberately removed to simulate heated conditions, and it is known that the regulating water evaporated inside a system which no longer had a failsafe mechanism.
Sure, but there has been some disagreements about the cause for a while and scientists aren’t entirely agreed.

If this unlikely theory is correct, the onus is on the Russians to prove it, and perhaps not via a tv show. It is most likely to be half-cocked propaganda, but it is hardly as inconceivable as being made out. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:48am
Personally, I think it is inconceivable , as the facts do tally up. Scientists do disagree, but the consensus on many scientific factors contributing to the disaster are not capable of debate. A prime example is the effect on the water within the reactor.

What does interests me is how on the back of a TV show, which people have been raving about the Russians now feel the need to tell their “side of the story”, in suggesting American involvement, at a time when the aim of Russian media has generally been viewed as entertaining populists and extremist politicians who are doing a fine job at destabilising trust and confidence in Government, which is seen as an aim.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:55am

Personally, I think it is inconceivable , as the facts do tally up. Scientists do disagree, but the consensus on many scientific factors contributing to the disaster are not capable of debate. A prime example is the effect on the water within the reactor.

What does interests me is how on the back of a TV show, which people have been raving about the Russians now feel the need to tell their “side of the story”, in suggesting American involvement, at a time when the aim of Russian media has generally been viewed as entertaining populists and extremist politicians who are doing a fine job at destabilising trust and confidence in Government, which is seen as an aim.

I saw a clip recently of Putin playing some exhibition ice hockey game and he was playing against pro ice hockey players.  The players let him score about 5 goals in the game and were afraid to tackle him or stop his shots lest they fall off a high rise building in the near future.  Putin was then given a post match hero's reception by the crowd.

Its like something from Goebbels times.  The world is regressing into a dangerous place.  I've no doubts another major war is on the horizon somewhere in the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 11:25am
The debate around the Skripal affair last year was a good insight into the operations.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 11:56am

Sure, but there has been some disagreements about the cause for a while and scientists aren’t entirely agreed.

If this unlikely theory is correct, the onus is on the Russians to prove it, and perhaps not via a tv show. It is most likely to be half-cocked propaganda, but it is hardly as inconceivable as being made out. 

spot on PM  i agree with you mate! 

we could also ask the Russians why does your sh*t evaporate when you sh*t into a microwave after 30 minutes 

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:17pm
You had it set to defrost.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:15pm
I’ve just been reading a bit about this story over lunch. In
The context of the Digital Sovereignty Bill going through the Russian Parliament and the apparent state involvement in the making of this ”retelling” I would be very concerned for press and internet freedom.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:13pm

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but check out the episode reviews on Twitter by a journalist called Slava Malamud (Grew up in the USSR when this happened and is now a journalist. His Grandad was one of the "liquidators" who went around Pripyat killing wild animals and pets that were left behind).

Says that in general, the HBO series was well received in Russia. But it's hardly surprising that Putin's regime would want to blame external factors on the explosion.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but check out the episode reviews on Twitter by a journalist called Slava Malamud (Grew up in the USSR when this happened and is now a journalist. His Grandad was one of the "liquidators" who went around Pripyat killing wild animals and pets that were left behind).

Says that in general, the HBO series was well received in Russia. But it's hardly surprising that Putin's regime would want to blame external factors on the explosion.

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

I was reading earlier that Chernobyl has been something that the Russian state have been less than vigorous about acknowledging, and that it is because they know where responsibility lies.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:24pm
The Russian in charge of the Chernobyl station that night was Martin Oneillski

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:27pm
Hard to take the TV series serious when Finchy form The Office appears

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 12:35am
Finally got around to watching this.  WowClap

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 6:33pm
I hear if you use a 5G phone your hand and head will melt from radiation worse than being in the core of reactor 4 at Chernobyl.

-------------

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:50am

Finally got around to watching this.  WowClap

Its bloody good show! Scarily realistic too though.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net