You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armstrong Okoflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

He could easily pull the 'I need time and want to concentrate on my club football' etc 

Are you speculating that he may yet "pull" that? Why? 

Edited by Eoink21 - 03 Nov 2021 at 12:21pm
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Good to see him back in. Benefitting from getting away from Celtic when the chance came up. While under 23 football in England isn't brilliant it's much better than playing in the Lowland League in Scotland. A few others there should take note.

Couldn't agree more. If young players are playing first team football in Scotland then fair enough but players like Luca Connell etc would be better off in the u23 teams in England than the Scotland development teams.

You'd worry for Scales at this point too.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

He could easily pull the 'I need time and want to concentrate on my club football' etc 

Are you being wilfully obtuse or are you just incredibly thick?
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The squad has been named. Okoflex has been included. I want to know if this poster is speculating that Okoflex will pull out to focus on this club football and, if they are, why?

I'm sure they can answer the question themselves. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Good to see him back in. Benefitting from getting away from Celtic when the chance came up. While under 23 football in England isn't brilliant it's much better than playing in the Lowland League in Scotland. A few others there should take note.

Couldn't agree more. If young players are playing first team football in Scotland then fair enough but players like Luca Connell etc would be better off in the u23 teams in England than the Scotland development teams.

You'd worry for Scales at this point too.

Scales has played in the EL for Celtic.

Ange did say that he's not fully up speed with the rest of the squad yet.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The squad has been named. Okoflex has been included. I want to know if this poster is speculating that Okoflex will pull out to focus on this club football and, if they are, why?

I'm sure they can answer the question themselves. 

Okoflex's commitment to Ireland has historically been flaky. You're acting like Robbie Keane or Glenn Whelan's dedication is being questioned here.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 03 Nov 2021 at 2:10pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Back in the u21 squad I see, unexpected but welcome 

Why is it unexpected?

Hasn't shown up/been selected in ages, seems a random time to pop the head back up - campaign has already started. Don't think it's much of a stretch to say not many expected him to be in this squad. 

Underage football (u15/16, 17 & 19) was all suspended for 2 years during Covid.

He played all 3 games for the u19s in the their last lot qualifiers in November 2019. They got through to the elite phase and were due to play in March 2020 but obviously that didn't happen.

u19s are playing for the first time in 2 years this week.

While the u21s resumed their qualifiers, he wasnt good enough for them in the last campaign with Parrott, Idah and Connolly all still involved at that period and him still playing reserve football at Celtic B.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 6:28am
correct and right, Bandwagon.

Please see also the words of Crawford: 'His career was like a little bit of driftwood' - Backing for West Ham's rejuvenated Irish teen https://the42.ie/5591022

"There wasn't a doubt. He certainly committed to our colours that's for for sure."

But some around here know better. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 04 Nov 2021 at 6:34am
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 8:44am
Fair enough on the call ups , but you can see why quotes such as

Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.” 

Not to mention playing with England, had people doubting his allegiances

All well and good Crawford saying that now, but it wasn't the case beforehand and it's a bit much to paint it as such. I don't have an issue with that either, he's a young man and is entitled to take his time deciding, as I said, a nice surprise. 

Edited by nvidic - 04 Nov 2021 at 8:45am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:22am
Gonna make a call that he won't be near England standard anyway

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:31am
OkoFlex is in the squad at the expense of Alex Gilbert, who didn't look great in the last match.
I can't recall the specifics but Ferry was the other wide man and was terrible until he switched sides, at which point we had a load of joy down his side.

Now that Wright is also back fit, the expectation is that the two wide slots will be filled with himself and Ferry.
Then either Kayode or Ferguson in the centre.

As discussed, this lineup has flattered to deceive on more than one occasion but I expect JC to stick with it.
OkoFlex likely to be used as a sub for one of the wide lads, if at all (Kerrigan also competing for one of these slots).
Be a surprise if he vaulted right into the starting lineup, but if he does, it shows he is working well in training.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:34am

Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.” 

All well and good Crawford saying that now, but it wasn't the case beforehand and it's a bit much to paint it as such. I don't have an issue with that either, he's a young man and is entitled to take his time deciding, as I said, a nice surprise. 

What age was he making those quotes? I don't see people casting similar aspersions on Anthony Scully for his flirtation with England at a similar age.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:42am
Back in 2018 he played in six games for the England U16's.
All friendlies (not sure any U16 matches are competitive?)
He was 15 when he started those matches and just turned 16 when he last played for them.

I'm happy to move on and let his football do the talking from here on.
He's yet another exciting prospect, nothing more.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:57am

What age was he making those quotes? I don't see people casting similar aspersions on Anthony Scully for his flirtation with England at a similar age.

Ah, relax a bit, it's clear he had mixed allegiances, he said it himself, nobody is having a go at him for it. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Back in 2018 he played in six games for the England U16's.
All friendlies (not sure any U16 matches are competitive?)
He was 15 when he started those matches and just turned 16 when he last played for them.

I'm happy to move on and let his football do the talking from here on.
He's yet another exciting prospect, nothing more.

Nobody knows for definite if he even qualifies for England and that's why he's only played in friendlies for them. There was a couple of players in his age group for England that didn't qualify but England had them in playing friendlies.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:04am
He literally played for England, and still would be playing for them only for the fact he doesn't qualify, and people (well, one person) insisting he's committed despite all the evidence to the contrary. LOL

Crawford is being diplomatic. He's hardly going to say that Okoflex isn't arsed.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:10am
People need to relax regarding the whole questioning of allegiance. We're entitled to question wether a player is committed or not, past experiences shows that. If he is committed, great, if not so be it. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:15am
He's in the 21s squad now as far as I'm concerned until he indicates otherwise he's on board and I'm happy he is. I had a feeling it was a bit of an Odubeko situation tbh as his form warranted a call up the last two windows and it never came. I'm sure he can't declare for England going forward if I have that correct. 

He looks a decent prospect tricky wide player which you can never have enough of. His goalscoring record has been very impressive for the 23s plenty West Ham fans in my observations are tipping him to make his senior debut before the season ends. 

Pointless getting caught up in the will he won't he out of our control.

Edited by kevin100 - 04 Nov 2021 at 11:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
  Share Topic