Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56953
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Armstrong Okoflex
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Armstrong Okoflex
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:32pm
Surely deserving of his own thread now, as it looks like he may make his Celtic first team debut shortly, at the age of 17:  
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/04/23/celtic-fans-urge-neil-lennon-to-pick-armstrong-oko-flex-after-go/page/1/ " rel="nofollow - https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/04/23/celtic-fans-urge-neil-lennon-to-pick-armstrong-oko-flex-after-go/page/1/  ;

Already been on the bench for the Celtic first team earlier this season. 

Dublin born and bred and a product of St Kevin's, but currently playing underage (u17) for England.  He has no links to England beyond residency (arising out of moving over to Arsenal's academy when he was 12).  His Dad's from Nigeria and a well-known social campaigner in Dublin.  

His Dad says he is essentially currently playing with England as they asked first, but is still open to Ireland ("he is still playing with the two").  Here's a good article relating to his background and eligibility:  
https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-tug-of-war-406280" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-tug-of-war-406280

A serious prospect - would be deeply disappointing to lose him.  Hopefully see him in Kenny's Toulon squad at the very least, if not the senior squad for the Gibraltar game in a developmental capacity.  He should at least be contacted at U21 and senior level - must be a good chance of him playing for us. 

Replies:
Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:05pm
He has been poor so far tonight, but Celtic have all been poor.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:23pm
Just turned on this match now (53rd min) and okoflex has been really good from what I see so far. 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Just turned on this match now (53rd min) and okoflex has been really good from what I see so far. 
He has been very poor throughout, keeps turning the wrong way and into trouble. I am sure he is better than this performance, I certainly hope so.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
Yes definitely gone quiet again! 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:02pm
Great, the worse he performs the better the chances he'll play for the EIRE long term

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:43pm
I didn't catch the game...  do lads think Oko-flex will get a run-out from Neil Lennon based on this showing?

He'd been getting rave reviews before tonight anyway.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I didn't catch the game...  do lads think Oko-flex will get a run-out from Neil Lennon based on this showing?

He'd been getting rave reviews before tonight anyway.
Not a hope. The American lad up-front with him should be well ahead of him based on that. He was excellent.

-------------

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:58pm
Can't get invested in another dual national youth product

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 10:03pm
Cheers PM. 

I hear you Kildare.  Having said that, over half our senior squad was dual national under fifa rules at some point, and it's the way things are going, it seems it will be even more the case now. 

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:01pm
On the first team bench today

Will probably get last 15 mins

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 9:09pm
 I understand that hes taken down all his Twitter photos in which he has an England kit...

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I understand that hes taken down all his Twitter photos in which he has an England kit...

Left his cover photo though. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 5:53am
Yeah picture of him lining up for qstq in England kit on his cover photo hardly gives much hope

Posted By: farfar
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 8:43am
For what it's worth he has also deleted all of his England posts from Instagram. 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 8:47am
Anybody know anything about his Bebo? 

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Anybody know anything about his Bebo? 

Gave the luv to Declan Rice, we're f**ked 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:13am
May as well move this so...

-------------

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 10:06am
Yeah looks like hes going to Nigeria alri.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 1:10pm
Not one for moving threads but surely they should be locked until a lad declares for us or plays for us. We are mad desperate at times

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Yeah looks like hes going to Nigeria alri.

What's his beef with the Eire?

Posted By: Doolz101
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:03pm
In the u19 squad

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:23pm
Good to see him back. Hope he sticks around, although I think his rating has fallen a little at Celtic with Afolabi much more highly rated there now. 

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:05pm
Still a promising player. Super feet

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: The Whisperer
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:09pm
Not going to hold out much hope for this lad going on the fathers quotes in times gone by.

From what I have seen of him he looks a prospect though.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by The Whisperer The Whisperer wrote:

Not going to hold out much hope for this lad going on the fathers quotes in times gone by.

From what I have seen of him he looks a prospect though.

Was it ever finally confirmed that he is eligible for England? There was some back and forth on how long he lived in that jurisdiction.

And I am aware that he played for England already, but it’s been a widely disputed selection

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:08pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/scottish-football/celtic-fc/celtic-player-slammed-saying-eight-21929191.amp" rel="nofollow - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/scottish-football/celtic-fc/celtic-player-slammed-saying-eight-21929191.amp .

Jaysus

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:47pm
Needs sacked

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Needs sacked

Tones Clap

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Needs sacked
You do know he plays for Celtic?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 5:32pm
Made his senior competitive league debut for Celtic last night.  

Still only 18 and potentially has a huge future ahead of him.  Highly rated left footed forward/attacking mid/winger. In last 6 months of his Celtic contract and PL clubs apparently showing an interest.  

Played initially for us underage and switched to England.  Has since switched back to us it seems and played in November 2019 in Tom Mohan's Euro qualifier squad.  Turned contract at Arsenal down to move to Celtic after Brendan Rodgers targeted him.

Should be one for our U21s at this point at least. 

A Dub, born and bred, here is an interesting article from one of the better writers at Balls.ie on the international tug-of-war for his allegiance:

https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-tug-of-war-406280 " rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-tug-of-war-406280  ;  

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 6:12pm
Moved your latest thread on this lad to the original one you also started. Will you do a quick search in future please before starting a thread on a player.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:09pm
Cheers Sham, sorry.  I did a post search and topic search and couldn't find it - so assumed it had been deleted!  Anyway, thanks for finding and re-posting.Clap

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Cheers Sham, sorry.  I did a post search and topic search and couldn't find it - so assumed it had been deleted!  Anyway, thanks for finding and re-posting.Clap
google search is a quicker and better option I find. Just google “YBIG player name/topic” and it’ll show up 

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:03pm
He hasn't really done anything to warrant a call up at U21 level.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:14pm
Everytime I see his name I think of pipe insulation LOL

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He hasn't really done anything to warrant a call up at U21 level.

Has done nothing and we have good options at our underage levels.
A player should need way more than 30 mins for a depleted Scottish Prem team to warrant a slot in our U21 squad.
Not completely blaming the lad as Coffey and Connell haven't even gotten those 30 minutes...get out on loan, lads!

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:54am
Was doing well until he went to Celtic. Unfortunately, like a few other young Irish players, he has wasted a few years of development by going there. Did nothing of note during his 30 minutes on the pitch the last night, and wouldn't have been close to the team only for the Dubai Covid thing.

Hopefully he can get out of there this summer and try to make progress somewhere in England. I doubt he'll make our under 21s in the short term, there are too many others ahead of him. But he's eligible for the under 19s this year so he should play with them and then might progress to the 21s later in the campaign, will probably have a better chance if he gets out of Glasgow.

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Was doing well until he went to Celtic. Unfortunately, like a few other young Irish players, he has wasted a few years of development by going there. Did nothing of note during his 30 minutes on the pitch the last night, and wouldn't have been close to the team only for the Dubai Covid thing.

Hopefully he can get out of there this summer and try to make progress somewhere in England. I doubt he'll make our under 21s in the short term, there are too many others ahead of him. But he's eligible for the under 19s this year so he should play with them and then might progress to the 21s later in the campaign, will probably have a better chance if he gets out of Glasgow.

If there was a progressive managerial change at Celtic, you never know. I though oxoflex looked alot brighter and sharper than Cameron Harper, young american lad playing. He is out of contract in the summer, and i thinknthats been mentioned in the forum. Linked with Palace. 

Posted By: Four-Four-Two
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:11pm

what did we expect him to do he came on and did fine certainly did not look like he was out of place . some posters are incredible hard on young players for any perceived thing to not be world class

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:22pm
I didn't feel that he created much during his time on the pitch, which is ultimately what he was sent on to do. Looked comfortable on the ball and everything, but that's to be expected.

Even allowing for the missing players Celtic had a much stronger team than Hibs on paper in defence and midfield, and certainly a much more expensive one. With that advantage behind him I would have hoped he would have added some creativity and made a statement that he's ready for more first team minutes, but he didn't really.

Hopefully he gets another chance against Livingston.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:18pm
I thought he was peng when he came on.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:31pm
He might be Peng when he's older...

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 4:54pm
A good move getting out of Celtic and heading to West Ham but I read there's talk he would be looked at as a 1st-team squad-member with a view to getting 1st-team action.

I find it hard to believe a lad who couldn't get a look in in the SPL would get anything close to a look-in for a top half PL team, but here's hoping he can progress this season with the Hammers and then hopefully get into our U21s.

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

A good move getting out of Celtic and heading to West Ham but I read there's talk he would be looked at as a 1st-team squad-member with a view to getting 1st-team action.

I find it hard to believe a lad who couldn't get a look in in the SPL would get anything close to a look-in for a top half PL team, but here's hoping he can progress this season with the Hammers and then hopefully get into our U21s.

I was wondering. I would have thought that a loan or under 23 football would be most likely. Would be surprised if he got first team games but far from disappointed!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:26pm

He played for Celtic and he was absolutely dirt. Good move by Celtic.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

This lad may end up playing LOI football in 6 years time for all I know havent watched him play but you say “he played for Celtic and he was dirt” 

He’s a just turned 19yo kid who made two appearances off the bench for Celtic playing 39 minutes in total. 

Would you boot a new employee out of a job 39 minutes in for being dirt if you were a boss?? 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 8:09pm
Was there a fee for him?

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was there a fee for him?

Fexible

Posted By: King_Kenny
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 9:31pm

It’s wine o clock somewhere 😂😂

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 10:38pm
What's the story with this lad, can someone fill me in on the details?
Born in Dublin, played for England and then us?
I see that he transferred from Arsenal to Celtic, played 39 mins and seems to have pissed off fans with some social media posts?

He's packed a lot into a career already for a 19 year old!!

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 12:07am

Played two times for them, can hardly call him dirt based on that? 

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 6:13am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

He played for Celtic 2 times. They were both when Celtic were missing most of their squad because of the Dubai fiasco and most of first team were self isolating. Half of the team were kids and whole team were very poor. He wouldn’t have got a chance otherwise and he was poor, very poor. However Celtic was a poisonous place at the time . Fans calling for lennons head on a weekly basis and results going against them. I doubt he would have been given a chance on his own merits . Which says more about lennon than it does about the youth at Celtic . The amount of youth that were left to rot at the club with him in charge wa shocking 

Played two times for them, can hardly call him dirt based on that? 

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 7:56am
Young players have to take their chance when they get it. Okoflex was indeed fortunate to get a couple of cameo appearances in the Celtic first team but did not do much. Teenagers at any club have to be exceptional to break through and though Okoflex was one of Celtic's better youngsters, he and others were not adjudged good enough for early promotion to the first team, unlike say Tierney, Forrest and others who broke through early. Huddersfield almost signed him last season, transfer broke down at the last minute, Crystal Palace made an offer but were turned down. Now he's got a chance at West Ham and I hope he takes it. He did look like an exceptional prospect at Arsenal and maybe should have stayed there longer. The good news is that he's Irish rather than English or Nigerian at the moment so if he does come good, we may have a player.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

What's the story with this lad, can someone fill me in on the details?
Born in Dublin, played for England and then us?
I see that he transferred from Arsenal to Celtic, played 39 mins and seems to have pissed off fans with some social media posts?

He's packed a lot into a career already for a 19 year old!!
Only played in friendlies for England as he wasn’t fully qualified for them. His biggest impact at Celtic were probably his Instagram lives during the first lockdown.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 7:35pm
The most notable thing he did at Celtic was tell an 8 year old online that she’ll look “peng” when she’s older 

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The most notable thing he did at Celtic was tell an 8 year old online that she’ll look “peng” when she’s older 

peng???? I suppose it's obviously not a compliment........i need to get down with the kids to keep up with this new language!

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 6:07pm
It is a compliment. Which was the problem, given she was 8.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:53pm
would Oko-Flex have played under age internationals with
Mipo Odebuku? As both are together at West Ham, we’ll be hoping Moyes gives youth a shot next season. We might be asking a lot for them two and Conor Coventry to get game time….

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:57pm

Mipo Odebuku? As both are together at West Ham, we’ll be hoping Moyes gives youth a shot next season. We might be asking a lot for them two and Conor Coventry to get game time….

LOL

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:57pm

They both won the Victory sheild at u16 level for Ireland.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 9:04pm
ok hopefully Oko-Flex can help convince Mipo that his future lies with us…

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:45pm
Scores the 6th for west ham against Celtic today in a friendly 
6-2

Posted By: flick
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 9:49pm
Hattrick for the West ham U23s tonight. Coventry and Odubeko also on the score sheet. Thin West Ham squad might see all involved with the first team 

-------------
GWAN YBIG

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:13am
Cap him ASAP

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Cap him ASAP

Cap his brother as well , is his mother any good ? Cap her too just to be on the safe side and make sure you get the address right to send the ‘you are now Irish’  welcome pack to

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:09am
He has hit the ground running at West Ham anyway!!
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/august/17-august/armstrong-okoflex-it-was-all-round-special-night-me-and-west" rel="nofollow - https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/august/17-august/armstrong-okoflex-it-was-all-round-special-night-me-and-west

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:53am

He has hit the ground running at West Ham anyway!!
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/august/17-august/armstrong-okoflex-it-was-all-round-special-night-me-and-west" rel="nofollow - https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/august/17-august/armstrong-okoflex-it-was-all-round-special-night-me-and-west

I wonder if odubeko is happy about Okoflex coming in and potentially bumping him down the pecking order at West ham.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:14pm
Just curious lads what’s the situation with Oko Flex and England? Is he basically not allowed declare for England now? 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Just curious lads what’s the situation with Oko Flex and England? Is he basically not allowed declare for England now? 

I understand that his links to England would be supported via 5 year residency. As he has moved to Scotland that 5 year period was not met. So I guess he would have to wait another 5 years to qualify for England.

All in all its difficult to swallow as if he did qualify for England would he left the ireland set up? On finding out he doesn't qualify are we just a fall back option where his heart is not really in it.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:53pm
Listening to the interview, he sounds like a born and reared Londoner, with zero hints of his Irish roots.

I'd question how Irish he feels, which is not a judgment as I think he left Ireland when he was 11 or 12, so his formative teenage years have been in England (and in London).

I can't help but feel that, for lads with only tentative ties to here (as in, simply born here out of circumstance to two non-Irish parents), the realities of International football mean it's treated as a career choice more than anything else.
But look, if he plays for us and says he wants to play for us and puts in a shift, that's good enough for me.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Cap him ASAP

Cap his brother as well , is his mother any good ? Cap her too just to be on the safe side and make sure you get the address right to send the ‘you are now Irish’  welcome pack to
LOL

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 1:54pm
He was in our last u19 squad in October 2019 anyway. It wasn’t like he was doing much at Celtic in the last few years apart from a few sub apps when they were hit with Covid. He might be called up to the u21s now based on form. Settle down people there’s going to be tons of dual nationality players tempted about switching now in the future with the rule changes.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

He was in our last u19 squad in October 2019 anyway. It wasn’t like he was doing much at Celtic in the last few years apart from a few sub apps when they were hit with Covid. He might be called up to the u21s now based on form. Settle down people there’s going to be tons of dual nationality players tempted about switching now in the future with the rule changes.

This is it even our 19s squad was so strong then he probably didn’t warrant a call up. He will to the 21s now after this certainly.

In England is he actually still allowed declare for England? I read somewhere he wasn’t allowed? 

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

In England is he actually still allowed declare for England? I read somewhere he wasn’t allowed? 

Can only play for England now if gains citizenship. His move to Scotland stopped him becoming eligible for England.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 2:52pm
wouldn't it be great if a few of these threads were not all will he wont he.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 2:55pm

Listening to the interview, he sounds like a born and reared Londoner, with zero hints of his Irish roots.

I'd question how Irish he feels, which is not a judgment as I think he left Ireland when he was 11 or 12, so his formative teenage years have been in England (and in London).

I can't help but feel that, for lads with only tentative ties to here (as in, simply born here out of circumstance to two non-Irish parents), the realities of International football mean it's treated as a career choice more than anything else.
But look, if he plays for us and says he wants to play for us and puts in a shift, that's good enough for me.

Armstrong was older than 11 or 12 when he moved and he moved solely for footballing reasons. Furthermore, his father is a well known social and political activist in Ireland: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oko-Flex_Inya" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oko-Flex_Inya

I wish people would take Okoflex playing for Ireland at face value because treating lads with suspicion and making statements that they were "born here out of circumstance to two non-Irish players" is not helpful to anyone.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:17pm
He was in our last squads after there was previously some doubt. I think that put it to bed about his allegiance 

Posted By: TheNumber6
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:22pm

It is a compliment. Which was the problem, given she was 8.

😂😂😂

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I wish people would take Okoflex playing for Ireland at face value because treating lads with suspicion and making statements that they were "born here out of circumstance to two non-Irish players" is not helpful to anyone.

It may or may not be helpful but it's true and the lad played a bunch of games for England underage so having suspicions about his allegiance is natural.
And understanable from his perspective, as I said.

I totally take his aspirations at face-value and hope he's named in the 21's and puts in a good showing.
Be delighted were he to keep progressing all the way to our seniors.
And if Odubeko joined him.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:57pm
Do we know for sure that he didn't do the five years in England - a lot of people saying he fell just short when he moved to Scotland but has that been confirmed anywhere?

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:16pm

It may or may not be helpful but it's true and the lad played a bunch of games for England underage so having suspicions about his allegiance is natural.
And understanable from his perspective, as I said.

I totally take his aspirations at face-value and hope he's named in the 21's and puts in a good showing.
Be delighted were he to keep progressing all the way to our seniors.
And if Odubeko joined him.

Treating players with suspicion because they played for England at underage level and showed no interest in playing for Ireland for several years until their hand was forced.

Mipo Odubeko, meanwhile, is not "ours to lose" like some people are desperate to frame it. He's shown no interest in playing for us and his agent has come out and said he's considering all his options. Our own U-21 manager has said that he didn't even return his calls when he was trying to figure out where his head is at.

But no, we're the paranoid ones. And the same idiots who will shout you down that Okoflex and Odubeko are Irish just because they were born here, with nothing else to support their logic, are the very same idiots who will vehemently insist that any English player who declares for us is Irish. You know, despite being born and bred in England.

Can't even see the logical fallacy in their own arguments!

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 8:03pm
The FAI should be focusing on trying to secure further investment from the government and looking to build a Belgian model in bringing through youngsters. They should have a couple of employees just for Training clubs how to get grants themselves and we should trying build the LOI. Coaching badges should be free etc

All these other problems wouldn't be so annoying if we just did this instead of being an amateurish country as always. Until quality young players like these are produced on this soil regularly we can expect this to get worse and worse. Also players who are in between nations lets call it would most likely choose us early if we were not such a f*****g circus. 

In fairness you would have to look at football in this country and think wow I can't believe they are a first world country.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:26am
Back in the u21 squad I see, unexpected but welcome 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:29am

Why is it unexpected?

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:35am

Why is it unexpected?

Hasn't shown up/been selected in ages, seems a random time to pop the head back up - campaign has already started. Don't think it's much of a stretch to say not many expected him to be in this squad. 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:38am

I would have worried if he wasn't in this given his form for West Hams U23 team. He's in real good form and is clearly a decent prospect. Would love to see him pop out on loan next year if nothing else.

What do we think his chances of making a senior debut for West Ham are??

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:48am
Connolly and Idah really need to work on their English accents. Okoflex, Kayode and Wright are leaving them in the shade already.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 11:05am
He could easily pull the 'I need time and want to concentrate on my club football' etc 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 11:30am
Good to see him back in. Benefitting from getting away from Celtic when the chance came up. While under 23 football in England isn't brilliant it's much better than playing in the Lowland League in Scotland. A few others there should take note.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:21pm

He could easily pull the 'I need time and want to concentrate on my club football' etc 

Are you speculating that he may yet "pull" that? Why? 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:22pm

Good to see him back in. Benefitting from getting away from Celtic when the chance came up. While under 23 football in England isn't brilliant it's much better than playing in the Lowland League in Scotland. A few others there should take note.

Couldn't agree more. If young players are playing first team football in Scotland then fair enough but players like Luca Connell etc would be better off in the u23 teams in England than the Scotland development teams.

You'd worry for Scales at this point too.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:36pm

Are you being wilfully obtuse or are you just incredibly thick?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:27pm

The squad has been named. Okoflex has been included. I want to know if this poster is speculating that Okoflex will pull out to focus on this club football and, if they are, why?

I'm sure they can answer the question themselves. 

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Couldn't agree more. If young players are playing first team football in Scotland then fair enough but players like Luca Connell etc would be better off in the u23 teams in England than the Scotland development teams.

You'd worry for Scales at this point too.

Scales has played in the EL for Celtic.

Ange did say that he's not fully up speed with the rest of the squad yet.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm

The squad has been named. Okoflex has been included. I want to know if this poster is speculating that Okoflex will pull out to focus on this club football and, if they are, why?

I'm sure they can answer the question themselves. 

Okoflex's commitment to Ireland has historically been flaky. You're acting like Robbie Keane or Glenn Whelan's dedication is being questioned here.

-------------

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 3:29pm

Why is it unexpected?

Hasn't shown up/been selected in ages, seems a random time to pop the head back up - campaign has already started. Don't think it's much of a stretch to say not many expected him to be in this squad. 

Underage football (u15/16, 17 & 19) was all suspended for 2 years during Covid.

He played all 3 games for the u19s in the their last lot qualifiers in November 2019. They got through to the elite phase and were due to play in March 2020 but obviously that didn't happen.

u19s are playing for the first time in 2 years this week.

While the u21s resumed their qualifiers, he wasnt good enough for them in the last campaign with Parrott, Idah and Connolly all still involved at that period and him still playing reserve football at Celtic B.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 6:28am
correct and right, Bandwagon.

Please see also the words of Crawford: 'His career was like a little bit of driftwood' - Backing for West Ham's rejuvenated Irish teen https://the42.ie/5591022" rel="nofollow - https://the42.ie/5591022

"There wasn't a doubt. He certainly committed to our colours that's for for sure."

But some around here know better. 

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 8:44am
Fair enough on the call ups , but you can see why quotes such as

Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.” 

Not to mention playing with England, had people doubting his allegiances

All well and good Crawford saying that now, but it wasn't the case beforehand and it's a bit much to paint it as such. I don't have an issue with that either, he's a young man and is entitled to take his time deciding, as I said, a nice surprise. 

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:22am
Gonna make a call that he won't be near England standard anyway

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net