You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:51am
we will finish 3rd 100%

hopefully we draw the equivalent of Estonia from 2012 in the playoffs or else we are f**ked. McCarthy is absolute muck as a manager and people are getting carried away if you think thick Mick will get a result home or away against the Swiss or at home to the Danes! 
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

we will finish 3rd 100%

hopefully we draw the equivalent of Estonia from 2012 in the playoffs or else we are f**ked. McCarthy is absolute muck as a manager and people are getting carried away if you think thick Mick will get a result home or away against the Swiss or at home to the Danes! 

Nonsense. We went to Denmark and got a draw why can't we beat them at home? This post sounds like we are the Faroe Islands- totally defeatist. We will be well organised come September and hopefully with a big crowd behind us and a bit of luck you never know.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 10:08am
Because we can’t beat anybody! We can draw with anyone though.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 10:11am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqy1rjQJaY

This seems to be the best video to explain it.

So whoever the top 4 remaining sides are they go into the playoff
Say in league B for instance Bosnia, Austria, Wales and Czech Rep get the play off, and for instance Iceland are the only team left in A the next best ranked teams would go into A (next best, as long as they are not a Nations League group winner). So Iceland, Ireland, N.I and Romania (Bulgaria are rock bottom, Isreal and Hungary might come 2nd so next is Romania.
Still a lot of permutations to go. Don't know who would be worse between Iceland and turkey in a play off as both would most likely be away.
The dark side.. And the light
Irish Brisbane View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Brisbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:41am

This seems to be the likely results and standing. Dont bother about the scorelines. Which means that it will come down to the last game against Denmark. Denmark can settle with a draw. It will be interesting to see how Ireland will handle this game. We all saw what happened last time when Ireland had to attack the game and tried to play football with Denmark instead of just defending, Ireland got smashed. Lets see how it all will end!

Source
https://www.worldfootball.net/ - https://www.worldfootball.net/
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 1:39pm
Ok, so I've ran a simulation of the remaining qualifiers and have the 20 below teams as qualifying automatically: 

1: Italy
2: Finland
3: Belgium
4: Russia
5: France
6: Turkey 
7: Poland
8: Austria 
9: Spain 
10: Sweden
11: Croatia 
12: Slovakia
13: Switzerland 
14: Denmark
15: Netherlands
16: Germany 
17: Ukraine 
18: Portugal 
19: England 
20: Czech Republic 

This then leaves the 4x remaining spots which will be decided by the Nations League play-offs. 

All Nations League group winners are guaranteed to stay in their own league play-offs. So of the remaining teams in League B, only Bosnia were a group winner so they would be the top ranked side, then the 3 highest un-qualified finishers would make up the remaining teams, they would be Wales, Turkey and ourselves. Leaving the lowest ranked team, Northern Ireland being bumped into Group A...

The only remaining un-qualified side from Group A would be Iceland, so with the higher ranked League B teams qualifiying for that leagues play-offs, that would leave Northern Ireland being bumped into League A play offs, as well as the highest finishing un-qualified non-group winners in League C, which would be Israel and Hungary, bypassing Scotland, Norway and Serbia who remain in League C as group winners. 

So League A playoffs. 1: Iceland, 2: Northern Ireland, 3: Israel, 4: Hungary 
Bad that because of the number of potential qualifiers from Leagues A and B, that Northern Ireland would potentially be bumped into an easier section than League B... 
Fixtures: 
Iceland v Hungary 
Northern Ireland v Israel 

League B Playoffs: 1: Bosnia, 2: Wales, 3: Turkey, 4: Ireland 
Leaves us playing Bosnia away (memories) before a potential draw to decide the host in the final facing the winner of either Wales or Turkey, very tough. 
Fixtures: 
Bosnia v Ireland 
Wales v Turkey 

League C Playoffs: 1: Scotland, 2: Norway, 3: Serbia, 4: Bulgaria 
Fixtures: 
Scotland v Bulgaria
Norway v Serbia 

League D Playoffs: 1: Georgia, 2: Macedonia, 3: Kosovo, 4: Belarus 
Fixtures: 
Georgia v Belarus 
Macedonia v Kosovo 

Edited by engpad - 13 Jun 2019 at 2:10pm
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

finishing lower down Group B may have been a masterstroke, as the higher teams in Group B will be bumped into Group A Playoffs. 

Group B would be Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Norway. You'd have to fancy our chances in that.

yes it worked out just as we plannedLOLLOL

a playoff with either scotland or NI would be epic beyond belief 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm
If Switzerland get a draw against us in Dublin, it effectively means we won't be able to overtake them. 

I assume if we drop points against the Swiss at home, then it would be better for us if they beat Denmark away?  

Edited by irishmufc - 13 Jun 2019 at 1:55pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

finishing lower down Group B may have been a masterstroke, as the higher teams in Group B will be bumped into Group A Playoffs. 

Group B would be Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Norway. You'd have to fancy our chances in that.

You'd probably take Scotland given the run their on. But I don't think we should be cheering the prospect of playing either, given performances in previous campaigns. Wales away aside, which was a smash and grab, I don't think games against nearby rivals suit us.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:06pm
I hadn't thought we could actually do it with 15 points.

Draw with the Swiss at home & Georgia away (not beyond the realms of possibility).

Denmark win three & draw at home to Switzerland (not beyond the realms of possibility either).

Then we have another winner takes all game at home to Denmark.

The important thing is that there are a number of ways to making that last game mean something, where we "only" need a win, thanks to the draw we got over there.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:11pm
Would hate if we got either the Scots or that shower tbh Dead
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

You'd probably take Scotland given the run their on. But I don't think we should be cheering the prospect of playing either, given performances in previous campaigns. Wales away aside, which was a smash and grab, I don't think games against nearby rivals suit us.
I don’t think games against anyone suit us! 
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:15pm
Re-posting this as a unique post as I edited my previous one as I'd made an error:

Ok, so I've ran a simulation of the remaining qualifiers and have the 20 below teams as qualifying automatically: 

This then leaves the 4x remaining spots which will be decided by the Nations League play-offs. 

All Nations League group winners are guaranteed to stay in their own league play-offs. So of the remaining teams in League B, only Bosnia were a group winner so they would be the top ranked side, then the 3 highest un-qualified finishers would make up the remaining teams, they would be Wales, Turkey and ourselves. Leaving the lowest ranked team, Northern Ireland being bumped into Group A...

The only remaining un-qualified side from Group A would be Iceland, so with the higher ranked League B teams qualifiying for that leagues play-offs, that would leave Northern Ireland being bumped into League A play offs, as well as the highest finishing un-qualified non-group winners in League C, which would be Israel and Hungary, bypassing Scotland, Norway and Serbia who remain in League C as group winners. 

Bad that because of the number of potential qualifiers from Leagues A and B, that Northern Ireland would potentially be bumped into an easier section than League B... 
Fixtures: 
Iceland v Hungary 

Leaves us playing Bosnia away (memories) before a potential draw to decide the host in the final facing the winner of either Wales or Turkey, very tough. 
Fixtures: 
Bosnia v Ireland 
Wales v Turkey 

Fixtures: 
Scotland v Bulgaria
Norway v Serbia 

Fixtures: 
Georgia v Belarus 
Macedonia v Kosovo 

engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Impossible for us to play Scotland, they will remain in League C as they are a group winner. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:24pm

Purely on a playing front, I'd be happy enough to face ROI or Scotland (esp). 

But with all the political sh*t games between NI and ROI tend to stir up, I'd go for the Jocks every time, even if they were playing well.

EDIT: Just seen engpad's post. If we can't get Scotland, then we'll just have to finish 2nd in our group and do it that way. 

Edited by Territorial - 13 Jun 2019 at 2:26pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:32pm
Georgia away gives me the creeps. I can't see us getting a win at home vs the swiss and then if we also drop points against Georgia we are are effectively done for. That's my fear how it will play out
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not even our own Under-21's!!! LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:54pm

Re-posting this as a unique post as I edited my previous one as I'd made an error:

Fixtures: 
Iceland v Hungary 

Fixtures: 
Bosnia v Ireland 
Wales v Turkey 

Fixtures: 
Scotland v Bulgaria
Norway v Serbia 

Fixtures: 
Georgia v Belarus 
Macedonia v Kosovo 

You might want to Re edit your edit as Iceland and Turkey are in the same group and one of them will get through automatically.
Would prefer Turkey to get through personally, that would bump us up to 3rd and NI in 4th.
It's still far too early to be guessing all these results cos it's not just 1 or 2 teams to focus on, there's about 10. 
The dark side.. And the light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic