Print Page | Close Window

How confident are you about this campaign?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56942
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 3:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How confident are you about this campaign?
Posted By: pre Madonna
Subject: How confident are you about this campaign?
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:01am
As it says. I was surprised to see the confidence in the Duffy thread so I wanted to see how widespread it is.  I just can't see it happening myself, unless we get a barrel load of luck. It feels like a half-decent performance against Georgia and we are all getting carried away, with little or no basis in reality.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Replies:
Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:02am
We will finish third and hopefully get lucky in the play off.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:11am
Probably 3rd but I think we have a decent chance of getting 2nd.  If we have 9 or 10 points after 4 games which we should have then momentum is gathering on our side and it will go down to the wire between us and the Swiss or Denmark.

I think we are capapble of getting 2nd.  Our squad is sh*te but if we are well set up with a good happy camp under Mick then we will be respectable against anyone.

MON had morale rock bottom and played anti-football and was able to get draws against the Danes.  I can't see why a better set up EIRE with better tactics and team spirit can't at least match that.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Probably 3rd but I think we have a decent chance of getting 2nd.  If we have 9 or 10 points after 4 games which we should have then momentum is gathering on our side and it will go down to the wire between us and the Swiss or Denmark.

I think we are capapble of getting 2nd.  Our squad is sh*te but if we are well set up with a good happy camp under Mick then we will be respectable against anyone.

MON had morale rock bottom and played anti-football and was able to get draws against the Danes.  I can't see why a better set up EIRE with better tactics and team spirit can't at least match that.

9 points was always the bare minimum to have any outside chance of qualifying though. The Gibraltar games will give people a massive false impression of what is happening in the group table.

Now if we get a result against Denmark, that's a totally different story. I'll take back every word I've said.

We effectively have 6 matches in this group. Georgia at home being the easiest. All the meat and bones of our group comes in 6 months time. I must do up a table without any Gibraltar results in it, as they give a silly impression of how we are doing. Especially come the summer time when we will have played then twice.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:31am
Aye but a win is a win is a win etc...  Winning breeds winning.  If we have 9 or more points going into the Autumn the team will have a good feeling about the place and be gaining in belief and have at least a bit of confidence going into the tougher games.  Even if those wins are against the weaker sides.  Momentum is important.  Better to be going into the tougher games with a backlog of wins than to be heading into the easy games with a mixed bag of results against the top sides in my opinion.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Missy
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:32am
We expect the Danes And Swiss  to take 6 From Georgia and Gibraltar. To me our first games in the Group is in Denmark.  We need something from the game given that draw in Switzerland. Coming  back from Tblisi cost Switzerland and if we are to get out if this group we need 4 points from that double header in October 

-------------
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

This 

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:44am
the group should be viewed at all times without Gibraltar and any points gained from them. They won’t take a single point in this group with the exception maybe of getting s draw with Georgia at home. To view it any other way is coding yourself . 

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:21am
Cautiously more optimistic with Mick in charge, bearing in mind the more promising display v Georgia but I still think the lack of cutting edge up front may well cost us automatic qualification.    And if it does come to the play-off's, we would need some luck considering it'll now be a semi-final (away) and final rather than a 2-legged tie against the same team.
But If MoN had been still in charge, I would have voted for 'no chance', it had got that bad. Dead

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:32am
Maybe, we need luck in the playoffs

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:35am
We should beat Georgia away in October and will beat Gib at home.

that leaves four matches, home and away against denmark and switzerland, drawing all four of these would be enough for second, if there is a winner in the danes vs swiss return game in october.  

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

We will finish third and hopefully get lucky in the play off.

Would be surprised if it's any different to this. 

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: ProudAndLoud
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:06am
Not so sure about the "SHOULD BEAT GEORGIA AWAY" reference. They owe us one big time and someone will fook up in Tbilisi. Just hope it's not us and obviously not Swiss now!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:07am
Momentum is everything

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:41am
Take me to your dealers!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:45am
[QUOTE=ProudAndLoud]Not so sure about the "SHOULD BEAT GEORGIA AWAY" reference. They owe us one big time and someone will fook up in Tbilisi. Just hope it's not us and obviously not Swiss now![/QUOTE]
We did f**k up over there in September 2017. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:02am
They deserved to beat us !

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

They deserved to beat us !
Exactly - we were absolute muck, getting rid of the ball asap and making them look like Barcelona. 

I'd be a bit more hopeful we can avoid such a farce this year for the simple reason that we've got rid of MONROY and the toxic atmosphere that had set in during their last year.

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:11am
Probably stating the obvious but we'll know a whole lot more after the next fixture. If we can avoid defeat in Copenhagen, which is a pretty tall task, I would be reasonably confident of a top two finish.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:16am
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3998261/fai-complaint-not-related-john-delaney-loan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3998261/fai-complaint-not-related-john-delaney-loan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:16am
I think some of the team might have been out with us Conor the night before in McLarens :) fook I had some hangover match day

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

I think some of the team might have been out with us Conor the night before in McLarens :) fook I had some hangover match day
That drinking analogy is quite apt actually.  God knows, the team looked very much like a pub team that had only just met each other that day for the first time in their lives - and had quite a few sherbets the night before, such was the 'performance' in that match.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Probably stating the obvious but we'll know a whole lot more after the next fixture. If we can avoid defeat in Copenhagen, which is a pretty tall task, I would be reasonably confident of a top two finish.

MON got 2 scoreless draws in Denmark. Surely anything less than a point is a backwards step

-------------
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

MON got 2 scoreless draws in Denmark. Surely anything less than a point isca backwards step
The second one wasn't even a friendly. A nothing game.

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:35am
It's easy to say Mon got two draws in Denmark (Copenhagen and Aarhus) but we never in a million years looked like scoring a goal, I'd imagine Mick will have some sort of plan to try and win the game which in turn might us opened up at the back every now and then. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3998261/fai-complaint-not-related-john-delaney-loan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true" rel="nofollow - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/3998261/fai-complaint-not-related-john-delaney-loan/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Think you've stuck this link in the wrong thread tbh but still:

Now, I know that link is from a God-awful sh*t-stirring rag but I wouldn't be surprised if this story is true.  I think I mentioned that the €100k 'loan' was 2 years ago and that there could be more scandals/revelations still to emerge in relation to subsequent accounting years to that one.  And now, lo and behold...

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:56am
I'm reasonably optimistic. The Swiss will probably clean up in the group and top it relatively handy, though they royally made a balls of it against Denmark. It all comes down to how we do against Denmark home and away. They're a good side but nothing special, the 5-1 was down to suicidal management tactics. Hopefully this time it's a different story.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:52pm
I have always looked at this group as 4 games to test ourselves against Denmark and Switzerland in preperation for the Play Off game. 

Nothing has changed for me

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

the group should be viewed at all times without Gibraltar and any points gained from them. They won’t take a single point in this group with the exception maybe of getting s draw with Georgia at home. To view it any other way is coding yourself . 
I’ve heard of computer coding, but coding yourself is a new one.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I have always looked at this group as 4 games to test ourselves against Denmark and Switzerland in preperation for the Play Off game. 

Nothing has changed for me
A Nations League group as long as we  take 12 from 12 against Georgia and Gibraltar 

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:50pm
I think we will not only win the group but go on to win the Euros too

Posted By: Icy Bread People
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:50pm
So Denmark had a decent world cup and a good run for a while, maybe they'll be a bit complacent against us this time around I mean they probably think they just need to show up and they'll win after the puke we served them up last few times. Or maybe they'll have improved. You never know, we might get a result against them and scrape 2nd, although 3rd is probably the most realistic outcome. 

Posted By: FunkyMonkey
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:31pm
I’m confident myself 

Think we will be there it thereabouts. 

Watched back the Eamon Dunphy interview with Mick on YouTube and Mick just seems like the type of bloke you would love to play for . Don’t think we will be an easy team to beat under him .

A few things he said stuck out , talking about playing bigger teams he said he would hunt down the chief and f**king let’s have em. Dunphy kept goo back to how good Ireland’s football was under him last time and he said he knows we can’t try play like that all the time and we need to get f**king stuck in from time to time .

He also mentioned how he though big jack was a head of the game with how he set Ireland up back then and how everyone knew exactly their job going out in the pitch . I think he is going to have us set to know exactly what we need to do in every match . 

Just have a good feeling about this campaign and think we can do it

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Oh great a f**king comedian 

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:57pm
We have an excellent chance of qualifying. We have a strong defence, morale is being restored, our players are committed to the cause, work exceptionally hard and they are now working to a plan beyond an ultra limited defensive game.

We had fewer shots on target against Georgia in Dublin than we had in Tbilisi in the heavily criticised 1-1 under O'Neill. However the games were night and day. The game in Lansdowne was how we expect an Irish team to play. 

So things have changed. The O'Neill era is now irrelevant as a guide to future performances.

Our problem is who will put the ball in the back of the net. But that has been the case for decades now, and things usually work out in the end.

The big unknown is how McCarthy will approach the away games. In the past he was usually cautious. On two big occasions though he wasn't. The 2-2 draw in Holland and the 4-2 defeat in Russia. In both of those games we were unlucky.

As he's only new to the job, he'll probably be cautious in Copenhagen. A draw there is not impossible, and a result like that will put us right in contention.

A Danish World Cup hangover is very possible. A previous one helped us qualify for USA 94. 

Luck has always played apart in qualifying for tournaments, no matter the quality of the Ireland team.

How the group looks with a Danish hangover

Switzerland 3 - 3 Denmark

Denmark 1 - 1 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 1 Switzerland

Denmark 1 - 1 Switzerland

Switzerland 1 - 0 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 0 Denmark

.....................P....W...D...L...Pts

Switzerland...4....1....3...0...6
Ireland..........4....1....2...1...5
Denmark.......4....0....3...1...3

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
I’ll take an ounce.

-------------

Posted By: Gerry Geary
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:16pm
The thing is within our team. We need a serious improvement in the final parcel of the game... LISTEN UP WE NEED REDMOND AND BAMFORD TO DECLARE FOR THE REPUBLIC. if we get them we will be fine. THEN SOME YOUTH with CRAWLEY..JOHNSTONE...LIAM KELLY AND RONAN

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:14am

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Oh great a f**king comedian 
Despite it not being at all my intention to amuse you, I’m glad you found my comment worthy of labelling me as a comedian. Just shows that some peoples coding is very different to others.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:42am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

We have an excellent chance of qualifying. 

Luck has always played apart in qualifying for tournaments, no matter the quality of the Ireland team.

How the group looks with a Danish hangover

Switzerland 3 - 3 Denmark

Denmark 1 - 1 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 1 Switzerland

Denmark 1 - 1 Switzerland

Switzerland 1 - 0 Ireland

Ireland 1 - 0 Denmark

.....................P....W...D...L...Pts

Switzerland...4....1....3...0...6
Ireland..........4....1....2...1...5
Denmark.......4....0....3...1...3

Living the dream! 

-------------

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 11:15pm
No need for drugs. Still "living the dream". And the Danish World Cup hangover scenario is still on. 

Confidence is rising after the 1-1 (the National Result) in Copenhagen.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 12:26am
I still can't see us beating anyone that matters. 

-------------

Posted By: Rodneytrotter
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 12:31am
usual hard slog but can see us getting 2nd .

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:08am
Are we guaranteed a playoff spot 

So confusing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 12:38pm
Not guaranteed but extremely likely to get one.

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:23pm
Likely to get one and there’s a fair shout the first game would be against the North. 

Hope for a few League A teams not to qualify (eg Iceland) and the League B teams ahead of us to auto qualify. 

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Likely to get one and there’s a fair shout the first game would be against the North. 

Hope for a few League A teams not to qualify (eg Iceland) and the League B teams ahead of us to auto qualify. 
With Slovakia and Wales in the same group and Croatia back on track by beating Wales today, we need every other league B to qualify for us to get a home draw (which would be against the north) in the playoffs, so Austria need to get their act together.

Most likely will be away to Slovakia.

And Wales just got one back - Cheering Wales on feels 🤮 

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

With Slovakia and Wales in the same group and Croatia back on track by beating Wales today, we need every other league B to qualify for us to get a home draw (which would be against the north) in the playoffs, so Austria need to get their act together.

Yep. Other hope is having Iceland as the only League A team that doesn’t qualify (or having all League A teams qualify) and then having 4 League B teams ahead of us not qualify so we get into the League A playoffs which would be watered down massively and be more like League C.  

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:55pm

It has been a brilliant game to watch.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:59pm
Welsh didn’t want to help us out...

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:04pm
What are yous worrying about. Automatic qualification will come down to our final game at the Aviva against Denmark. Write the wrongs of 2 years previous. Written in the stars. 

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 4:06pm

Yep. Other hope is having Iceland as the only League A team that doesn’t qualify (or having all League A teams qualify) and then having 4 League B teams ahead of us not qualify so we get into the League A playoffs which would be watered down massively and be more like League C.  

Cmon the mighty Magyars

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:04pm
To qualify automatically, we're probably going to have to pull out a big performance somewhere and beat either the Swiss or Denmark at the Aviva. I can't see us going straight through on draws alone.

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:10pm
The draw between Switzerland and Denmark was, in my opinion, a bad result for us. 

Said it at the time as I felt our best chance was to sneak 2nd ahead of Denmark by drawing with them home and away but taking more points from the Switzerland games than Denmark.

Still possible for us to achieve that but Im not confident at all. We need Switzerland to win in Denmark, yet not win in Dublin, tough to realistically have any confidence in that happening.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Confident is the wrong word - i dont think anyone could be 'confident' about our chances. I'm optimistic. We'll be right in the mix till the end, and it'll be a matter of who blinks first.

The Swiss and the Danes have better squads than us on paper, but we've been in that situation before. I'd say its the flip of a coin in it, in terms of our chances at the end of the group landing in the top 2.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

The draw between Switzerland and Denmark was, in my opinion, a bad result for us. 

Said it at the time as I felt our best chance was to sneak 2nd ahead of Denmark by drawing with them home and away but taking more points from the Switzerland games than Denmark.

Still possible for us to achieve that but Im not confident at all. We need Switzerland to win in Denmark, yet not win in Dublin, tough to realistically have any confidence in that happening.

Draw puts pressure on the Swiss. They had some pretty bad finishing vs Portugal and while they’re a good team top to bottom, not having a superstar could help. 

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:19pm
Unfortunately i can see this panning out similiar to the last campaign albeit playing a bit more football. Reckon we will pick up a draw away to the swiss but get undone at home. Hard to see us breaking down a team at the minute. A playoff with the north is probably the best we can hope for.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Confident is the wrong word - i dont think anyone could be 'confident' about our chances. I'm optimistic. We'll be right in the mix till the end, and it'll be a matter of who blinks first.

The Swiss and the Danes have better squads than us on paper, but we've been in that situation before. I'd say its the flip of a coin in it, in terms of our chances at the end of the group landing in the top 2.
A flip of a coin? Really? 
The Swiss are around evens to win the group, the Danes around 6/4 and we are around 9/2. I would say that is more accurate than suggesting we are evens to finish second.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

A flip of a coin? Really? 
The Swiss are around evens to win the group, the Danes around 6/4 and we are around 9/2. I would say that is more accurate than suggesting we are evens to finish second.

I suppose that is a bit of a stretch, though i think it could be mostly draws between the top 3 in the group, with one big result being enough to see one team rise above. It does look like we really deflated Denmark with that draw, had read a couple articles online suggesting that with Hareide it might be starting to go stale, a miraculous draw in Switzerland aside. I think that could be our best bet in hoping Denmark start to go off the boil.

It would take a braver man than me to bet against the Swiss having the group won with a game to spare, though.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
Got to be a bit of pressure on Denmark Monday night whereas not much on George as they have their playoff sorted. No early goal and it could turn hard.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:35pm
Bosnia losing to Finland isn’t great. Could also be in the League B playoffs. Might not be the worst thing to be the 5th best League B team. But if we are 4th and the North end up getting the easy League A draw with Iceland and League C that wouldn’t be good. 

Posted By: royal rover
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:42pm
I would be optimistic of auto qualification if we can beat Switzerland at home, it won't be easy but I think its possible. 

-------------
royal rover

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by royal rover royal rover wrote:

I would be optimistic of auto qualification if we can beat Switzerland at home, it won't be easy but I think its possible. 

It wouldn't be easy but not an impossibility either. The Swiss are very good but they are not a France, NL, Germany etc

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:44pm
Not improbable for the 3 of us to draw all games between us. If that is the case, and we are all level on points, it will come down to goals scored (I assume), so their 3-3 draw will probably be enough to put both of them through. 

I reckon we'll draw 2 and lose 1 out of our 3 remaining games. So long as the team who beat us, in this scenario, is the same team who win in Copenhagen, we'll get 2nd!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:15am
I fear we'll only get 1-2 points in the next 3 games meaning we will likely have to hope Denmark also trip up along the way and then hope to beat them in the last game. Not confident either way

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:32am
In truth many were worried that we would be slogging it out with Georgia for 3rd before a ball was kicked if O'Neill was going to still be in charge for this camaign.

Finishing 3rd is acceptable and realistic, I think 2nd is beyond us.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:52am
I'm not sure we can use Gibraltar as any sort of form guide for later in the tournament.

Having said that, we will need to play a million times better to take anything off the big two.

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

In truth many were worried that we would be slogging it out with Georgia for 3rd before a ball was kicked if O'Neill was going to still be in charge for this camaign.

Why would we be worried about finishing 3rd? Might as well finish 5th as 3rd because playoff places were decided trough the nations league. Most likely outcome at this stage is we will go into the last game against Denmark needing a win because our goal difference will be inferior. 

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Why would we be worried about finishing 3rd? Might as well finish 5th as 3rd because playoff places were decided trough the nations league. Most likely outcome at this stage is we will go into the last game against Denmark needing a win because our goal difference will be inferior. 

"Worried" was very much tongue in cheek I thought it came across as rather obvious.

Finishing 3rd is acceptable because we're not better than Denmark or Switzerland, both are superior teams to us and I just don't think we're good enough to finish ahead of either.

It would take a mammoth effort and a huge slice of luck for us to finish in the top 2 with how we've performed thus far and given the quality of our squad.

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:11am
Am I right in saying that if we don't qualify directly we need most of them teams above us to qualify automatically for us to get the chance of a play off? think it would need to be 7 of them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Bosnia and Herzegovina 13
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Ukraine 14
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Denmark 15
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Sweden 16
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Russia 17
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Austria 18
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Wales 19
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Czech Republic 20
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Slovakia 21
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Turkey 22
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Republic of Ireland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs#cnote_H" rel="nofollow - [H] 23
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Northern Ireland 24

I could be wrong but trying to get my head around it. 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Am I right in saying that if we don't qualify directly we need most of them teams above us to qualify automatically for us to get the chance of a play off? think it would need to be 7 of them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Bosnia and Herzegovina 13
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Ukraine 14
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Denmark 15
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Sweden 16
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Russia 17
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Austria 18
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Wales 19
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Czech Republic 20
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Slovakia 21
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Turkey 22
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Republic of Ireland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs#cnote_H" rel="nofollow - [H] 23
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Northern Ireland 24

Pretty much. However if 4 of the teams above us fail to qualify, we'd get put into the League A qualifiers if there are open spots. Right now, it looks like Iceland will fail to qualify, but the other league A teams look pretty strong. 

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:29am

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Pretty much. However if 4 of the teams above us fail to qualify, we'd get put into the League A qualifiers if there are open spots. Right now, it looks like Iceland will fail to qualify, but the other league A teams look pretty strong. 

So there is a pretty good chance that we will make a play off. Fingers crossed anyway. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm not sure we can use Gibraltar as any sort of form guide for later in the tournament.

Having said that, we will need to play a million times better to take anything off the big two.

We played slightly better against Denmark away from home and got a draw.

Ireland will be looking for a huge amount of fortunate events to happen for us to qualify, similar to previous campaigns.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:35am
We beat Georgia at home.
Drew away to Denmark.
Both great results but the performances in 3 out the 4 games have been brutal.

I still can’t see us beating the Swiss or Denmark home or away.
We can’t score - simple.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:36am
Not very confident after last night
That could be our last win in the group

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:41am
Only way I can see us qualifying is if we beat Georgia away and draw the other 3. Then hope that there's a winner between Denmark and Switzerland in Copenhagen. We'd have to be extremely lucky to get anything from either game against the Swiss.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

We beat Georgia at home.
Drew away to Denmark.
Both great results but the performances in 3 out the 4 games have been brutal.

I still can’t see us beating the Swiss or Denmark home or away.
We can’t score - simple.

Yet we have scored 5 goals Wink

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:55am
I'm still confident we'll finish in the the top 2.

I think we'll grind out a draw against the Swiss in both games, grind out another narrow win against the Georgians and will grind out another 0-0 with the Danes

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I think we'll grind out a draw against the Swiss in both games, grind out another narrow win against the Georgians and will grind out another 0-0 with the Danes

LOL

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

LOL

LOL

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:31am
Just though we needed to get the ball to end line more often with a better quality cross. We have plenty of height in the box but we failed to test the keeper in order to find out if he he was as dodgy as we may have suspected. 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:32am
We have to beat Georgia away and there's no guarantee of that. I'd be hopefully we could sneak a win against the Swiss in one of the fixtures. 6 more points would probably be enough. 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:51am

Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

LOL

LOL

I Really don't get what is laughable about that.

We're a real sh*t and tough team to break down. The Swiss are a decent team yes, but they're hardly world beaters.

We need to keep an eye on Shaqiri and track the wingbacks which I think we're capable of.

This is a team who threw away a 3 goal lead at home to Denmark (again yes a better team then us).

A team who despite probably being the better team in the game couldn't break through a Portuguese defense (albeit again better then ourselves) without a very dodgy penalty.

In both game they were out done of either set plays or on the counter, two things we've shown we are capable of doing especially via set plays.

**DISCLAIMER**

I will also add I did get an elbow to the back of the head last night during the celebrations so I may have a slight concussion

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:57am
The Swiss should beat us home and away. The Danish manager should be under huge pressure for not beating us and showing us far too much respect. We would have a better chance of beating them in Dublin.

If Mick can get us to the Euros he is a genius. We have no midfield, no wingers and, with the greatest of respect to McGoldrick, our best forward runs like he has just shat himself, with a top speed of slightly forwards. 

On our day, we can draw with anybody. But we need to beat somebody decent. Bias and optimism aside, can you really see that happening?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:01pm

The Swiss should beat us home and away. The Danish manager should be under huge pressure for not beating us and showing us far too much respect. We would have a better chance of beating them in Dublin.

If Mick can get us to the Euros he is a genius. We have no midfield, no wingers and, with the greatest of respect to McGoldrick, our best forward runs like he has just shat himself, with a top speed of slightly forwards. 

On our day, we can draw with anybody. But we need to beat somebody decent. Bias and optimism aside, can you really see that happening?

LOL It's true. That or a 70 year old man who was once very fast.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:06pm

But we need to beat somebody decent.

The good news is that we don't. If we beat Georgia and avoid defeat in the other three games then all we need is a winner in the Denmark - Switzerland game. I mean, it's more than likely that we will need to, but technically it's possible for us to qualify by beating no-one of note!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:10pm
We won’t get three draws. I mean we could, but we would need even more luck out in Switzerland and hope that the Swiss show us the same respect the Danes did. I can’t see it. 

The Swiss will take a minimum of four points from us.

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:25pm
We need 7 points. With our goal difference, only in the unlikeliest of scenarios, less will be good enough unfortunately - and I know it comes down to head to head first but only likely scenario is we’ll at least match the Danes here on in and then they’ll just need a score draw to qualify. It would be a miracle if we didn’t concede to them if they needed goals

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:35pm

We won’t get three draws. I mean we could, but we would need even more luck out in Switzerland and hope that the Swiss show us the same respect the Danes did. I can’t see it. 

The Swiss will take a minimum of four points from us.

Never mind the Swiss, the Jamaican bobsleigh team would take 6 points from us 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Only light I can see is obafemi, McCarthy, arter, long should all come back into equation.  Obafemi and long with their pace should make a huge difference.  I rate mcgoldrick but not up front on he's own.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

We need 7 points. With our goal difference, only in the unlikeliest of scenarios, less will be good enough unfortunately - and I know it comes down to head to head first but only likely scenario is we’ll at least match the Danes here on in and then they’ll just need a score draw to qualify. It would be a miracle if we didn’t concede to them if they needed goals

If we get 7 points, we will be finishing in the top 2. Even 5 points I'd be happy with, take it to the Denmark game

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:07pm
I don't think we will finish in the top 2, but we have got a better chance of that then I thought we would when we started the campaign. It will take a lot of luck but we have done that with better teams in our groups in the past. 

Beating Switzerland or Denmark at home looks way beyond us

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: 1874eire
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:16pm
What's the story so if we finish third? Do we get a play off? 

Posted By: 1874eire
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:17pm

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Not for finishing 3rd.
But we are very likely to get a play off through the Nations League format. 
It would take about 6 teams from league A and B not to qualify automatically which looks very unlikely at this stage. 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:27pm

Only light I can see is obafemi, McCarthy, arter, long should all come back into equation.  Obafemi and long with their pace should make a huge difference.  I rate mcgoldrick but not up front on he's own.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.LOL
so none of the above would make a difference?
McCarthy hasn't played in three years, a period of time that has seen him go from a talented but meek central midfielder to Keane and Brady combined. Or, as Javier would say, PLATINI.

Arter appears to have been dropped. I am still unsure whether he is just sh*t or not bothered by international football, probably a little bit of both. I would still have him over Jeff, but it is the lesser of two evils.

In fairness, Long is exactly what we need. This squad is crying out for another striker who can't score and breaks down injured walking to the shops. 

Obafemi is just a kid. There is clearly potential and I have long advocated that the campaign should be about bringing the likes of him through, but that is because I feel we are going to finish third no matter what.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:32pm
I reckon the Swiss home game in September is make or break. Lose it and we are in danger of the entire group unravelling. We simply have to get something out of it.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:41pm

I reckon the Swiss home game in September is make or break. Lose it and we are in danger of the entire group unravelling. We simply have to get something out of it.

A lot riding on it. We only have the one match in September unlike  Switzerland and Denmark who have 2. and given the matches they both have  we will more than likely find ourselves in 3rd place.y

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:52pm

I agree. This will be a huge game, it will absolutely make or break our campaign. A loss and it will be a very long way back.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

A lot riding on it. We only have the one match in September unlike  Switzerland and Denmark who have 2. and given the matches they both have  we will more than likely find ourselves in 3rd place.y

Also, it would be a big blow to momentum and confidence for the final three matches. A draw would keep us very much alive and a win would be fantastic.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Six points could well be enough to qualify from here.

If we win one of our next three games (or draw all of them), that puts us on 13. Beat Denmark and that puts us on 16.

The only way Denmark get to 16 or above is by winning all of their other games... so we'd only need them to drop points in one other game, either at home to Switzerland or away to Georgia.

I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility. And if, for example, Denmark beat Switzerland, and we get six more points, with three against Switzerland, then we are on 16 and the maximum Switzerland are can get is also 16, so we would be on head to head against them, and that's again assuming they win all their other games, though of course they should.

Six points could well be enough without asking for much at all. Seven is basically guaranteed to be enough, barring the very unlikely series of events where we would end up on the same number of points as Denmark and Switzerland on 17... all beating Georgia, then winning one, losing one and drawing two of the four head to head games. Even then, it would go to head to head.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net