You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:07pm
I don't think we will finish in the top 2, but we have got a better chance of that then I thought we would when we started the campaign. It will take a lot of luck but we have done that with better teams in our groups in the past. 

Beating Switzerland or Denmark at home looks way beyond us
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:16pm
What's the story so if we finish third? Do we get a play off? 
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:17pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Not for finishing 3rd.
But we are very likely to get a play off through the Nations League format. 
It would take about 6 teams from league A and B not to qualify automatically which looks very unlikely at this stage. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Only light I can see is obafemi, McCarthy, arter, long should all come back into equation.  Obafemi and long with their pace should make a huge difference.  I rate mcgoldrick but not up front on he's own.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.LOL
so none of the above would make a difference?
McCarthy hasn't played in three years, a period of time that has seen him go from a talented but meek central midfielder to Keane and Brady combined. Or, as Javier would say, PLATINI.

Arter appears to have been dropped. I am still unsure whether he is just sh*t or not bothered by international football, probably a little bit of both. I would still have him over Jeff, but it is the lesser of two evils.

In fairness, Long is exactly what we need. This squad is crying out for another striker who can't score and breaks down injured walking to the shops. 

Obafemi is just a kid. There is clearly potential and I have long advocated that the campaign should be about bringing the likes of him through, but that is because I feel we are going to finish third no matter what.

Edited by pre Madonna - 11 Jun 2019 at 1:43pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:32pm
I reckon the Swiss home game in September is make or break. Lose it and we are in danger of the entire group unravelling. We simply have to get something out of it.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I reckon the Swiss home game in September is make or break. Lose it and we are in danger of the entire group unravelling. We simply have to get something out of it.

A lot riding on it. We only have the one match in September unlike  Switzerland and Denmark who have 2. and given the matches they both have  we will more than likely find ourselves in 3rd place.y
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:52pm

I agree. This will be a huge game, it will absolutely make or break our campaign. A loss and it will be a very long way back.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

A lot riding on it. We only have the one match in September unlike  Switzerland and Denmark who have 2. and given the matches they both have  we will more than likely find ourselves in 3rd place.y

Also, it would be a big blow to momentum and confidence for the final three matches. A draw would keep us very much alive and a win would be fantastic.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

We need 7 points. With our goal difference, only in the unlikeliest of scenarios, less will be good enough unfortunately - and I know it comes down to head to head first but only likely scenario is we’ll at least match the Danes here on in and then they’ll just need a score draw to qualify. It would be a miracle if we didn’t concede to them if they needed goals

Six points could well be enough to qualify from here.

If we win one of our next three games (or draw all of them), that puts us on 13. Beat Denmark and that puts us on 16.

The only way Denmark get to 16 or above is by winning all of their other games... so we'd only need them to drop points in one other game, either at home to Switzerland or away to Georgia.

I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility. And if, for example, Denmark beat Switzerland, and we get six more points, with three against Switzerland, then we are on 16 and the maximum Switzerland are can get is also 16, so we would be on head to head against them, and that's again assuming they win all their other games, though of course they should.

Six points could well be enough without asking for much at all. Seven is basically guaranteed to be enough, barring the very unlikely series of events where we would end up on the same number of points as Denmark and Switzerland on 17... all beating Georgia, then winning one, losing one and drawing two of the four head to head games. Even then, it would go to head to head.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 11 Jun 2019 at 2:07pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 3:26pm
I would still remain optimistic. Gibraltar have exposed out lack of creativity, but no other team will put 11 men behind the ball against us, and try to suck the life out of a game.

Against Georgia we had opportunities, and we had 4 excellent chances to score against Denmark. So if a team tries to play against us, we can battle them.

Switzerland will probably be coming to Lansdowne for a win. It will certainly be a very different game to last night.

But if we press and harry them, put 'em under pressure, get the tackles in, get the crowd going, take a few risks and force some opportunities, we can get a result.

Goal-scoring is our problem, but we don't concede many either. 1 goal would probably be enough for at least a draw.

And even if we do go behind, we still have the ability to get a late goal.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:21pm
swiss game has 1-1 written all over it , october will be murder we might only get one point out of that double header. 

i still have no clue about how all this nations league stuff works , 
i dont think we will get second in the group , mick has a serious job of work on to bring us back from the mess we are in 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

We need 7 points. With our goal difference, only in the unlikeliest of scenarios, less will be good enough unfortunately - and I know it comes down to head to head first but only likely scenario is we’ll at least match the Danes here on in and then they’ll just need a score draw to qualify. It would be a miracle if we didn’t concede to them if they needed goals

Six points could well be enough to qualify from here.

If we win one of our next three games (or draw all of them), that puts us on 13. Beat Denmark and that puts us on 16.

The only way Denmark get to 16 or above is by winning all of their other games... so we'd only need them to drop points in one other game, either at home to Switzerland or away to Georgia.

I don't think that's beyond the realms of possibility. And if, for example, Denmark beat Switzerland, and we get six more points, with three against Switzerland, then we are on 16 and the maximum Switzerland are can get is also 16, so we would be on head to head against them, and that's again assuming they win all their other games, though of course they should.

Six points could well be enough without asking for much at all. Seven is basically guaranteed to be enough, barring the very unlikely series of events where we would end up on the same number of points as Denmark and Switzerland on 17... all beating Georgia, then winning one, losing one and drawing two of the four head to head games. Even then, it would go to head to head.

So basically draw with the Swiss, beat Georgia away and then put in a mighty home performance against Denmark to banish the 2017 disaster and that should be enough. Not beyond the realms of possibility there.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:38pm
every time I read a retarded comment on this board that is way ott it’s either pre Madonna or Doherty. Two doom and gloom merchants that seem to know the square root of f**k all about football
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Only light I can see is obafemi, McCarthy, arter, long should all come back into equation.  Obafemi and long with their pace should make a huge difference.  I rate mcgoldrick but not up front on he's own.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.LOL
Cry....I think I'll have a good cry at this prospect
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

every time I read a retarded comment on this board that is way ott it’s either pre Madonna or Doherty. Two doom and gloom merchants that seem to know the square root of f**k all about football
There is an awful irony in the continued use of 'retarded' in the manner meant.  
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:48pm
Georgia seem to be sh*t in this campaign. I think we'll win over there, but so will the other two. It could easily come down to us needing to beat Denmark at home in the last game to qualify.A draw is most likely.

Home to Switzerland D

Away to Georgia W

Away to Switzerland L

Home to Denmark D

Denmark winning at home to Switzerland plus both winning the rest of their matches leading to a final table of...

1.Denmark 18 points
2.Switzerland 17 points
3.Ireland 15 points

and a good chance of us playing the nordies in the first of potentially two playoff ties.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 11 Jun 2019 at 4:52pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:28pm
We’ll draw the three games vs the big two and win in Georgia.

Denmark will lose to Switzerland in Copenhagen. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic