You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nathan Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 97>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 8:40pm
The Sunday Indo gave Tommy Conlon two pages of a spread to tell us all that Nathan should be centre midfield for Ireland. Seemed a bit much. 
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

The Sunday Indo gave Tommy Conlon two pages of a spread to tell us all that Nathan should be centre midfield for Ireland. Seemed a bit much. 
Nonsense. Conor Coventry is nailed on for that position.
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:13pm
Can't read it, it's not available to non-subscribers.
Collins could certainly do everything Molumby does, and might get fewer yellows.
What are Conlon's arguments for moving Collins to midfield? In what role?
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Can't read it, it's not available to non-subscribers.
Collins could certainly do everything Molumby does, and might get fewer yellows.
What are Conlon's arguments for moving Collins to midfield? In what role?

Won't get fewer red cards though. Collins has less games played than Molumby yet he's been sent off four times and five if you count that one time with the U21s to the one time Molumby was sent.
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:41pm
J89, thanks for the education.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 11:07pm

Yeah, basically saying SK should give him a run in centre midfield against Norway to see how it goes. From watching Collins against Armenia, I would imagine he would love a run out in midfield! 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 11:13pm
Jaysus
We fairly overhype a player when he shows a bit of quality 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Yeah, basically saying SK should give him a run in centre midfield against Norway to see how it goes. From watching Collins against Armenia, I would imagine he would love a run out in midfield! 

Sensationally stupid idea, w2f does tommy conlon actually know about football? Genuine question? Was he ever involved at any professional level? Nathan Collins is a very promising CB, let's just let him get on with that maybe!
Idah Dream!
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 11:29pm
Let's not get wound up by an Indo article.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:05am

He was playing in midfield in the build up to Armenia's first goal
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:32am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Sensationally stupid idea, w2f does tommy conlon actually know about football? Genuine question? Was he ever involved at any professional level? Nathan Collins is a very promising CB, let's just let him get on with that maybe!

I think there was an Irish centre half that played in midfield as well, I forget his name McGrath or something like that. 

We have a serious dearth of midfielders and lots of excellent centre halves, it's actually a good suggestion to see if any of them could play in midfield. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:30am
Jack played McGrath and Lawrenson in midfield, he considered them good enough footballers and he had McCarthy and Moran as centre backs as the rugged defensive types in his own image. He also played Ronnie Whelan at full back. We do not have options like that now but who knows, cover for Cullen is certainly lacking at the moment.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Jack played McGrath and Lawrenson in midfield, he considered them good enough footballers and he had McCarthy and Moran as centre backs as the rugged defensive types in his own image. He also played Ronnie Whelan at full back. We do not have options like that now but who knows, cover for Cullen is certainly lacking at the moment.

Although I think your man Conlon is absolutely dipso, he might be onto something with this. We will be a team made up of the sum of its parts...to get Egan, O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins in the team, pushing one of them further forward would make sense...in theory! I think Omobamidele could also fit that role. The games in November give us a chance to experiment a bit

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 9:44am
I think Omobamdibele could be the one to step into that position ye is mobile enough and has the range of passing for it.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 9:49am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Although I think your man Conlon is absolutely dipso, he might be onto something with this. We will be a team made up of the sum of its parts...to get Egan, O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins in the team, pushing one of them further forward would make sense...in theory! I think Omobamidele could also fit that role. The games in November give us a chance to experiment a bit

We all dream of a team of Gary Breens - Sure feck it, throw Duffy up top with Obafemi too and we can get 5 CBs in to the team!

If we have to play a CB in the CDM position due to an injury crisis, which should be the only time it is even a consideration, I think Dara O'Shea is the one, Collins certainly isnt. O'Shea is the best passer out of defence imo and the most versatile, having played a quarter of his senior games in both full back positions.

Asides from Cullen, we have Hendrick, Knight, Molumby, Browne all of whom have played as a #6 at times for their clubs over the years. Collins needs to concentrate on being a CB and not chasing goals when 2-0 up. As you suggest, Omobamidele is the other one who stylistically looks like he could do a job there. It should only be done as a last resort. Charlton's team and style of play was entirely different in a different era of football (plus Mc Grath and Lawrenson were exceptional footballers). Playing Ronnie Whelan as a full back was a low point in his era btw, not finding space for Brady was another. All in all, its just a really bad suggestion from Conlon, which will foment ideas among the armchair fans who dont have a great understanding of modern football.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 9:52am
I'm sceptical of moving players out of their best position, and there's certainly no guarantee it would work - but I can't say I understand the absolute disgust to the suggestion that we might try it at some stage in a friendly. Pretty low risk endeavour tbh.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:08am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'm sceptical of moving players out of their best position, and there's certainly no guarantee it would work - but I can't say I understand the absolute disgust to the suggestion that we might try it at some stage in a friendly. Pretty low risk endeavour tbh.

As I have said in the other thread, I just started - the time for experimentation like this is over - We have 2 friendlies left before things kick off in earnest. Playing CBs in midfield in a team trying to play football isnt how I'd make use of them.
Idah Dream!
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:53am

McGrath was an outstanding player. He won the players player of the year awards. Whelan was also an outstanding player; several league titles, European Cup and part of the Liverpool double team. Jack could afford to play them out of position and it facilitated keeping Moran and McCarthy at centre back. I would leave Collins where he is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 97>
  Share Topic