FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nathan Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 97>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 3:15pm
This might already have been pointed out, but has Collins ever played in midfield at any level? 

McGrath was able to play in midfield because he was a world class talent. There's an old saying that good players can play anywhere and intelligent players with the physical capabilities can transition (thinking Philipp Lahm from RB to CM), so it's not beyond the realms of possibility. It just doesn't seem very likely.
End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!
Sponsored Links

PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 11:49am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

That's not his game, it's not what he does. He can sometimes step out from centre back and add a body in midfield during a game, but he absolutely can't do what Cullen or Smallbone do at 6.

Maybe but, with all due respect, we won't get to a world cup with Cullen and smallbone in our engine room. We should try something else rather than just accept that's what we have and thats that. I like Cullen but he's far too quiet to be a consistently good performer at international level. You rarely see him open his mouth and being a good communicator in that position is a skill thats very important. 

Collins has the skills, personality and quality to be a good midfielder for us. 

Except he is not a midfielder and big difference watching and anticipating game in front of you from defence, and being no6 playing game on the half turn 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 8:10am

That's not his game, it's not what he does. He can sometimes step out from centre back and add a body in midfield during a game, but he absolutely can't do what Cullen or Smallbone do at 6.

Maybe but, with all due respect, we won't get to a world cup with Cullen and smallbone in our engine room. We should try something else rather than just accept that's what we have and thats that. I like Cullen but he's far too quiet to be a consistently good performer at international level. You rarely see him open his mouth and being a good communicator in that position is a skill thats very important. 

Collins has the skills, personality and quality to be a good midfielder for us. 

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 4:58am
That’s sh*te defending. He’s there before the keeper so should be taking the responsibility and clearing it, even if the keeper calls for it. Another example of him needing to concentrate of being a defender first.

Has had a good start at Brentford but needs to cut out those errors if he wants to keep his place.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 2:53am
His distribution is top class. Played a lovely pass out of defence to get the move going for Schade's goal.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Or maybe Guardiola regularly doing it with a variety of different players in various positions has influenced people's opinions. You'd swear Babbs was saying he should be tried in goals too with the reaction to his suggestion

I think we should try Caoimhin in midfield tbh 
Idah Dream!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 9:40pm
Or maybe Guardiola regularly doing it with a variety of different players in various positions has influenced people's opinions. You'd swear Babbs was saying he should be tried in goals too with the reaction to his suggestion
It would damage this forums' reputation
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 7:36pm
Years of McGrath have left lads deluded about this!
Idah Dream!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 7:31pm
He's a good footballer no doubt but there's a massive difference receiving the ball on the half turn or with your back to the opposing goal thirty yards out with a midfielder up your hole than playing out with the ball at your feet with everything in front of you as he has his whole career. 

Edited by 10 Box - 26 Aug 2023 at 7:42pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 7:28pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 7:04pm

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Needs to be tried in centre mid in front of our defence. 

We would then have a spine of Baz, O' Shea, Collins and Ferguson for 10+ years. 
You do realise CBs are part of a team's spine, right? I thought people had given up this Collins at CM nonsense a while ago.

Why is it nonsense? 

He reads a game well. He's two footed. Hes a good passer of the ball who is prone to an odd lapse of concentration which, as a centre back, will be punished. It's makes perfect sense to try him as a midfielder. Even more so as he is more capable than any midfielder we currently have.

Not as a midfielder he isn't. No way can he step in and do what Cullen or Smallbone do better than them. It's a completely different role to what he does as a centre back.

He's a far better footballer than both. He's one of our best and we need to utilise him in the best possibly way, even more so as our midfield is the weakest part of our team. I think he would be perfect to sit in front of two centre halves. 

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 6:49pm

You do realise CBs are part of a team's spine, right? I thought people had given up this Collins at CM nonsense a while ago.

Why is it nonsense? 

He reads a game well. He's two footed. Hes a good passer of the ball who is prone to an odd lapse of concentration which, as a centre back, will be punished. It's makes perfect sense to try him as a midfielder. Even more so as he is more capable than any midfielder we currently have.

Not as a midfielder he isn't. No way can he step in and do what Cullen or Smallbone do better than them. It's a completely different role to what he does as a centre back.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 6:47pm

Why is it nonsense? 

IMO it isn't based in reality. He's never played there at club level. It feels like whenever we get a CB that's even moderately comfortable on the ball, people clamour for them to be tried in midfield.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 6:38pm

Why is it nonsense? 

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 5:28pm

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 5:25pm

Maybe he should just concentrate on becoming a quality centre back first!
Idah Dream!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 5:19pm

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 5:13pm
I think Collins had to jump ship there or he'd have collided with Andersen and Flakken.
He was muscled out of a challenge on the wing by Eze in the first half, but Eze is a beast now.
Looking at Collins I have doubts that he'll be a really great player - for one he'll never have explosive pace over the first five yards. He carries a lot of tension in his shoulders so he's not as balanced as exceptional athletes need to be. He does like to point a lot to where he thinks other players should make their next pass!
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 97>
  Share Topic