12 [14.29%]
13 [15.48%]
32 [38.10%]
16 [19.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

I put down a score draw, but this could be any score imaginable. The only thing I would rule out is an Ireland hammering. Anything could happen between two poor sides. It is more conceivable that we collapse and get beaten 4-0 than win by a similar score, especially if we play the same team. 
I expect there will be changes though, just not as many as I would like.

Who would you bring in PM? 

The midfield is key in every game, we can't be humping the ball away all game and in games where the impetus is on us to control the ball, like yesterday and Tuesday, we probably need a 'horses for courses' approach. We need a midfield structure of some sort and stop being so wasteful. I know we don't have world beaters to come in, but some semblance of intelligence in picking the team and tactics. 
I couldn't understand the logic of that midfield before the game and I understand it less afterwards. Hendrick and Hourihane are two lads who get slaughtered by their club fans for going missing for their teams, they don't regularly play as central midfielders in a 4-4-2, so sticking them  together in such a system seemed bizarre.  Neither of them ever demanded the ball and set the tempo and regularly played hopeful, and often dangerous, percentage balls.  I don't think we have two midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, maybe Mick thought it would work against Gibraltar,, but his attempts to rectify it don't fill me with hope! If Hendrick has to play it should be in front of two players who will cover him when he loses it and who will also look for the ball from defence.
                      Randolph
Coleman     Duffy       Egan      Stevens
              Whelan        Arter
Doherty         Hendrick           Brady
                     Maguire 

Something like that should see us structured  enough to get a foothold in the game and compete with Georgia in midfield,where they do look capable. Then,  if we start to dominate the game without scoring then you can look to change it a bit, but we have to get a hold of games against Gibraltar and Georgia. Yesterday, it felt like Mick put out an eleven that was individually most likely to score. Every player seemed a goal threat, but without a modicum of organisation or structure to help them do that.

I get where you're coming from, but playing a team like that at home won't wash. ZERO guile in the midfield. Even if we string passes together, you're looking at pragmatism and sideways/backwards passes all over the shop. Need someone to put their foot on the ball and who at least has the potential for a killer pass (or even a forward pass).
All we need to do is find such a mythical creature.

Get rid of Arter and replace with Hourihane. Swap Judge for Brady.

Nothing mythical needed, but that midfield 3 aint doing nothing. 

Arter and Whelan in the same midfield against Georgia...at home? Georgia are a decent team going forward, but you need to exploit their sh!te defence. The midfield will do no such thing.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:55pm

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

I put down a score draw, but this could be any score imaginable. The only thing I would rule out is an Ireland hammering. Anything could happen between two poor sides. It is more conceivable that we collapse and get beaten 4-0 than win by a similar score, especially if we play the same team. 
I expect there will be changes though, just not as many as I would like.

Who would you bring in PM? 

The midfield is key in every game, we can't be humping the ball away all game and in games where the impetus is on us to control the ball, like yesterday and Tuesday, we probably need a 'horses for courses' approach. We need a midfield structure of some sort and stop being so wasteful. I know we don't have world beaters to come in, but some semblance of intelligence in picking the team and tactics. 
I couldn't understand the logic of that midfield before the game and I understand it less afterwards. Hendrick and Hourihane are two lads who get slaughtered by their club fans for going missing for their teams, they don't regularly play as central midfielders in a 4-4-2, so sticking them  together in such a system seemed bizarre.  Neither of them ever demanded the ball and set the tempo and regularly played hopeful, and often dangerous, percentage balls.  I don't think we have two midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, maybe Mick thought it would work against Gibraltar,, but his attempts to rectify it don't fill me with hope! If Hendrick has to play it should be in front of two players who will cover him when he loses it and who will also look for the ball from defence.
                      Randolph
Coleman     Duffy       Egan      Stevens
              Whelan        Arter
Doherty         Hendrick           Brady
                     Maguire 

Something like that should see us structured  enough to get a foothold in the game and compete with Georgia in midfield,where they do look capable. Then,  if we start to dominate the game without scoring then you can look to change it a bit, but we have to get a hold of games against Gibraltar and Georgia. Yesterday, it felt like Mick put out an eleven that was individually most likely to score. Every player seemed a goal threat, but without a modicum of organisation or structure to help them do that.

I get where you're coming from, but playing a team like that at home won't wash. ZERO guile in the midfield. Even if we string passes together, you're looking at pragmatism and sideways/backwards passes all over the shop. Need someone to put their foot on the ball and who at least has the potential for a killer pass (or even a forward pass).
All we need to do is find such a mythical creature.

Get rid of Arter and replace with Hourihane. Swap Judge for Brady.

Nothing mythical needed, but that midfield 3 aint doing nothing. 

Arter and Whelan in the same midfield against Georgia...at home? Georgia are a decent team going forward, but you need to exploit their sh!te defence. The midfield will do no such thing.
We need a midfield structure, players with some grasp of positional sense or we will have a similar performance to yesterday. This idea that we can give up structure and shape for more of an attacking threat was debunked yesterday. I am no lover of Arter, I think he is sh*te, but he  would give us some structure.
Hourihane offers no guile whatsoever, he really offers very little. He drifts around on the fringes of games and little more. He has a decent strike and a decent set-piece, it should be a straight choice between him and Jazzy Jeff, you can't have two luxury players on the pitch. Personally, I would have Hourihane on for his set-pieces,but  unfortunately the jazzmeister won't be dropped.
Judge's best position isn't on the left, I don't see the need to shoehorn him in there. I know Brady has done f**k all for years, but he is our best option there still by default.

These are the harsh realities of where we are at.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm
The EIRE 1-0 Geowgia

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:03pm
I'm not sure why Hendrick is being singled out for particular opprobrium, his goal represented our solitary moment of attacking quality in the game. The entire team were atrocious. Only Randolph comes away from the game with any modicum of credit from an Irish point of view.

We were so appallingly bad that at times it was almost untrue. Enda Stevens threw the ball directly out of play from a throw-in at one stage. I'm not sure I've ever seen this before from a professional footballer. Such are McClean's limitations and lack of guile that in his frustration at failing to make any kind of impression, even against this level of opposition, he was reduced to kicking out at the slightly portly gas fitter who was successfully marking him out the game.

This was a match against a team ranked only ahead of San Marino and who'd shipped 11 goals in their previous two matches, including 6 to Armenia, in the same ground and on the same surface. We can't possibly overstate just how awful this was, and there is no excuse.

McClean, Doherty and Maguire need space to run into behind to be effective. Against a team defending as deep as Gibraltar you either need players with  good touch and clever movement playing little one-twos - requiring a subtlety of play we've hitherto shown ourselves incapable of - or a big Collins-style centre-forward who can unsettle the opposing defence, win balls in the air, and allow others to profit from second balls. We did neither, and this is why we struggled to create chances.

Georgia will be a different kind of game. I agree Whelan should start. I have a feeling Judge will play as well. I'm not sure Brady's fit, but maybe Mick'll think he can get an hour out of him. The bar has been set so low that even an improved performance would represent some kind of progress. I wouldn't be surprised if we drew or even lost this, however.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie<b> NewtNewbie wrote:

I'm not sure why Hendrick is being singled out for particular opprobrium, his goal represented our solitary moment of attacking quality in the game.
The entire team were atrocious. Only Randolph comes away from the game with any modicum of credit from an Irish point of view.

We were so appallingly bad that at times it was almost untrue. Enda Stevens threw the ball directly out of play from a throw-in at one stage. I'm not sure I've ever seen this before from a professional footballer. Such are McClean's limitations and lack of guile that in his frustration at failing to make any kind of impression, even against this level of opposition, he was reduced to kicking out at the slightly portly gas fitter who was successfully marking him out the game.

This was a match against a team ranked only ahead of San Marino and who'd shipped 11 goals in their previous two matches, including 6 to Armenia, in the same ground and on the same surface. We can't possibly overstate just how awful this was, and there is no excuse.

McClean, Doherty and Maguire need space to run into behind to be effective. Against a team defending as deep as Gibraltar you either need players with  good touch and clever movement playing little one-twos - requiring a subtlety of play we've hitherto shown ourselves incapable of - or a big Collins-style centre-forward who can unsettle the opposing defence, win balls in the air, and allow others to profit from second balls. We did neither, and this is why we struggled to create chances.

Georgia will be a different kind of game. I agree Whelan should start. I have a feeling Judge will play as well. I'm not sure Brady's fit, but maybe Mick'll think he can get an hour out of him. The bar has been set so low that even an improved performance would represent some kind of progress. I wouldn't be surprised if we drew or even lost this, however.
I agree that his partner in crime, Hourihane, should get equal criticism, but the reason that we were so utterly, utterly inept yesterday was, yet again, that  we didn't have a midfield. Have a look back at any one of the umpteen big humps down the field by Duffy and look to see if either the boy wonder or robin were within thirty yards of him and looking for the ball. Granted, neither of these players are suited to the role, certainly not together, but their cowardice against such a bad team was embarrassing for professional footballers. That is why he is getting stick. 
I do think Hourihane is getting away with a bit, but that game was made for Hendrick  to go prove us all wrong, to get on the ball and drive us forward, instead he shirked responsibility and hid and because of that we played the game at their level and could have played a far, far bigger price and, if we had, those two would be getting slated across the board. Instead, because he scored a goal against Gibraltar, and the other fella hit a couple of decent free-kicks, we are supposed to ignore how poor they were.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I don't get how McCarthy concluded that Doherty on the right didn't work and is now binning the idea. Did McClean on the left work in the same game? The whole notion is absolutely bizarre. Did McCarthy expect to see Doherty do what he regularly does with Wolves in the PL or something? He wasn't even close to being our worst player yesterday, yet he faces the drop. It is comical stuff.

Agreed.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:49pm
2-0 or 2-1
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:05pm
0-2.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:26pm

I'm not sure why Hendrick is being singled out for particular opprobrium, his goal represented our solitary moment of attacking quality in the game.
The entire team were atrocious. Only Randolph comes away from the game with any modicum of credit from an Irish point of view.

I agree that his partner in crime, Hourihane, should get equal criticism, but the reason that we were so utterly, utterly inept yesterday was, yet again, that  we didn't have a midfield. Have a look back at any one of the umpteen big humps down the field by Duffy and look to see if either the boy wonder or robin were within thirty yards of him and looking for the ball. Granted, neither of these players are suited to the role, certainly not together, but their cowardice against such a bad team was embarrassing for professional footballers. That is why he is getting stick. 
I do think Hourihane is getting away with a bit, but that game was made for Hendrick  to go prove us all wrong, to get on the ball and drive us forward, instead he shirked responsibility and hid and because of that we played the game at their level and could have played a far, far bigger price and, if we had, those two would be getting slated across the board. Instead, because he scored a goal against Gibraltar, and the other fella hit a couple of decent free-kicks, we are supposed to ignore how poor they were.
I don't think anybody can ignore how poor any of the players were, and in every area of the pitch. If McCarthy (and especially his predecessor) had've named a side with a holder like Whelan or Arter in a 5-man midfield against a side like Gibraltar fans would've decried this as an overly cautious and negative move. In the event we were so evenly matched with this team of amateurs he ended up having to withdraw a striker and bring Arter on to see out the win. That's a measure of low we've sunk. Hourihane and Hendrick are notorious for their flakiness and for flitting in and out of games, so playing them both together is just asking for trouble.

We need somebody with, to use Gilesy well-worn cliché 'the moral courage' to demand the ball drive the team forward and make things happen. This has been the case for a very long time. Is Hendrick appreciably worse than any of our other sub-par midfield options for going missing and failing to take the game by the scruff of the neck? I'm not so sure. And Hourihane getting MotM yesterday was laughable.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

I don't think anybody can ignore how poor any of the players were, and in every area of the pitch. If McCarthy (and especially his predecessor) had've named a side with a holder like Whelan or Arter in a 5-man midfield against a side like Gibraltar fans would've decried this as an overly cautious and negative move. In the event we were so evenly matched with this team of amateurs he ended up having to withdraw a striker and bring Arter on to see out the win. That's a measure of low we've sunk. Hourihane and Hendrick are notorious for their flakiness and for flitting in and out of games, so playing them both together is just asking for trouble.

We need somebody with, to use Gilesy well-worn cliché 'the moral courage' to demand the ball drive the team forward and make things happen. This has been the case for a very long time. Is Hendrick appreciably worse than any of our other sub-par midfield options for going missing and failing to take the game by the scruff of the neck? I'm not so sure. And Hourihane getting MotM yesterday was laughable.
Yesterday was his chance, if he doesn't have the 'moral courage' against Gibraltar you would have to say that yes, he is worse than the other sub-par midfield options . I would have taken him off at half-time for Arter, who is a very ordinary player, but I doubt even he would have hid.
McCarthy shouldn't give a f**k about the fans or the media, it is usually one of his most endearing and beneficial qualities. 
I agree with all the rest though, we are lacking that player and Mick got his tactics all wrong yesterday by playing them together, but that doesn't absolve either of them from blame.
PaConnors View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaConnors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:46pm
I think we'll win 2-0.

Duffy will score from a corner/free-kick and we'll get a second towards the end on the break . 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:01pm
2-0 home win for me....first home game under Mick with 3 points in the bag from yesterday against a Georgian team who have a long trip, and no doubt down after losing despite playing well on saturday..

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:06pm
1 0 home win (hopefully)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:21pm
It'll either be 1-0 or 1-1 I think, don't see us losing but a draw is quite possible.
We're decent enough..
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:00pm
2-1 Ireland
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:18pm
Previously under McCarthy we were much better at home than away. So I would expect an improved performance and a win by 1 or 2 goals.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Previously under McCarthy we were much better at home than away. So I would expect an improved performance and a win by 1 or 2 goals.

You cannot base what went before to now. 
17 years ago! 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

You cannot base what went before to now. 
17 years ago! 

McCarthy is a win your home games, try and get something away, type manager. It's the Charlton DNA in him.

After his first campaign, he made Lansdowne a fortress. That's what he'll try to do again.

.....................HOME........AWAY

.....................W D L

FRA....... 98 - 2 4 0         3 0 3

EURO 2000 - 4 1 0         1 2 2

JAP/KOR 02 - 5 1 0         3 2 1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic