URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56906
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 10:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rep. of Ireland v Georgia - Score predictions
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: Rep. of Ireland v Georgia - Score predictions
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:18am
No excuses for the players here.

I predict and would take a 1-0 right now.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:59am
Depends on the team he puts out, and how they’re set up. I do believe you need to write down each players position and basic task on their arm in permanent marker with this lot.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:01am
1-1.

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:06am
Hopefully 1-0 but it’s hard to see a goal really. We won’t get a gimme from schoolboy defending like yesterday anyway. Or maybe mick brings a bit of luck with him, a start of 6 points playing badly as we are would be unreal.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:31am
It's got Draw written all over it 
You would hope a big home crowd we might get over the line.

Then away to Denmark and if we could steal a draw home to Gibraltar then
we could have 10 points after 4 games. And if mick is as good as tactuation as we are lead to believe  he might have us in some shape and with few granny rulers up front who knows.

That being said Georgia at 5\1 Tuesday is not a bad bet

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Depends on the team he puts out, and how they’re set up. I do believe you need to write down each players position and basic task on their arm in permanent marker with this lot.

LOL

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:57am
You can’t play the same team or a 4-4-2. We know Georgia and they have made us sweat for our last wins and draw against them, and have often been unlucky not to get more than they got.

I think there needs to be a holding midfielder, but that can’t sacrifice a player up top. Essentially a similar way to how we set up against Sweden in 2016 would make sense.

Posted By: howieb
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:25am
We will be very lucky to get a win here. Georgia will probably have more possession and cause us problems . We made Gibraltar look good on the ball Angry. I'd start judge, we need someone who is not afraid to get on the ball and who can see a pass. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Whatever problems we have the answer to our problems is not Glenn Whalan...
Neither is it Hendrick or Hourihane, as they so ineptly showed yesterday. I don't think we have a solution, but we do have a more structured midfield when Whelan plays.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Whatever problems we have the answer to our problems is not Glenn Whalan...
He is the best we got and that tells it's own story

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:50am
I fear dropping points but predicting a 1-0 

scrappy goal

Georgia had no penetration and nothing going forward yesterday for all that they can knock it about a bit in midfield, we should be compact and resolute enough to keep them out, and if its 0-0 for a while can see them sitting on that

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 12:01pm
2-0 Ireland. Mick was always at his best in the home matches while MON was at his most toxic.Georgia are being overrated by our last 2 incredibly feeble performances against them. I think we'll come third in the group with a 50/50 chance in the play offs as Mick should have improved us more by then.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 12:07pm
I put down a score draw, but this could be any score imaginable. The only thing I would rule out is an Ireland hammering. Anything could happen between two poor sides. It is more conceivable that we collapse and get beaten 4-0 than win by a similar score, especially if we play the same team. 
I expect there will be changes though, just not as many as I would like.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 12:11pm
1-2 too Georgia

Posted By: FunkyMonkey
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 12:17pm
http://startingeleven.co.uk/user-ation/273144 - http://startingeleven.co.uk/user-formation/273144" border="">

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:23pm
I can see us win it by a goal. We can only but improve on yesterday and I think we will do.

We were very lucky to start Mick's tenure with such a weak fixture. Imagine if the opening game had been away to Switzerland.

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I can see us win it by a goal. We can only but improve on yesterday and I think we will do.

We were very lucky to start Mick's tenure with such a weak fixture. Imagine if the opening game had been away to Switzerland.

Dunno. Might have been better.

Different set up. Probably only 1 up front. Stronger midfield. Playing a team that won't play 11 behind the ball. We would have less possession, which would play to our strengths more.

I still think yesterday was a freak. And unfortunate for the players and Mick, it was the opening to a new tenure. 

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I put down a score draw, but this could be any score imaginable. The only thing I would rule out is an Ireland hammering. Anything could happen between two poor sides. It is more conceivable that we collapse and get beaten 4-0 than win by a similar score, especially if we play the same team. 

Who would you bring in PM? 

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

The midfield is key in every game, we can't be humping the ball away all game and in games where the impetus is on us to control the ball, like yesterday and Tuesday, we probably need a 'horses for courses' approach. We need a midfield structure of some sort and stop being so wasteful. I know we don't have world beaters to come in, but some semblance of intelligence in picking the team and tactics. 
I couldn't understand the logic of that midfield before the game and I understand it less afterwards. Hendrick and Hourihane are two lads who get slaughtered by their club fans for going missing for their teams, they don't regularly play as central midfielders in a 4-4-2, so sticking them  together in such a system seemed bizarre.  Neither of them ever demanded the ball and set the tempo and regularly played hopeful, and often dangerous, percentage balls.  I don't think we have two midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, maybe Mick thought it would work against Gibraltar,, but his attempts to rectify it don't fill me with hope! If Hendrick has to play it should be in front of two players who will cover him when he loses it and who will also look for the ball from defence.
                      Randolph
Coleman     Duffy       Egan      Stevens
              Whelan        Arter
Doherty         Hendrick           Brady
                     Maguire 

Something like that should see us structured  enough to get a foothold in the game and compete with Georgia in midfield,where they do look capable. Then,  if we start to dominate the game without scoring then you can look to change it a bit, but we have to get a hold of games against Gibraltar and Georgia. Yesterday, it felt like Mick put out an eleven that was individually most likely to score. Every player seemed a goal threat, but without a modicum of organisation or structure to help them do that.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:17pm
I agree with most of what you said and absolutely agree with getting the midfield right. It is bizzare that so many media commentators focus on the lack of strikers and overlook our bigger problems in midfield. 

I wouldn't go with Maguire up front though. The team you have would surely be able to get some crosses in and think Collins is a better all round option. 

What is Egan's distribution like from the back? Hope his default isn't to pass to Duffy for the long punt. 

Posted By: Reillers88
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:18pm
1all draw for me. can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Glen Whelan starts - might bring a bit of organization to things 

Posted By: garretjoseph
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:21pm
3-0
Mick turns it around. 

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm

I agree with most of what you said and absolutely agree with getting the midfield right. It is bizzare that so many media commentators focus on the lack of strikers and overlook our bigger problems in midfield. 

I wouldn't go with Maguire up front though. The team you have would surely be able to get some crosses in and think Collins is a better all round option. 

What is Egan's distribution like from the back? Hope his default isn't to pass to Duffy for the long punt. 
Collins should be an option off the bench, but I think having him on from the start would lead to Duffy taking command of the ball, humping it at him and we will be back to playing without any structure. Let's try and link with Maguire, who only gets the nod because of the lack of alternatives, and see if he is good enough or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:29pm

The midfield is key in every game, we can't be humping the ball away all game and in games where the impetus is on us to control the ball, like yesterday and Tuesday, we probably need a 'horses for courses' approach. We need a midfield structure of some sort and stop being so wasteful. I know we don't have world beaters to come in, but some semblance of intelligence in picking the team and tactics. 
I couldn't understand the logic of that midfield before the game and I understand it less afterwards. Hendrick and Hourihane are two lads who get slaughtered by their club fans for going missing for their teams, they don't regularly play as central midfielders in a 4-4-2, so sticking them  together in such a system seemed bizarre.  Neither of them ever demanded the ball and set the tempo and regularly played hopeful, and often dangerous, percentage balls.  I don't think we have two midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, maybe Mick thought it would work against Gibraltar,, but his attempts to rectify it don't fill me with hope! If Hendrick has to play it should be in front of two players who will cover him when he loses it and who will also look for the ball from defence.
                      Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

Something like that should see us structured  enough to get a foothold in the game and compete with Georgia in midfield,where they do look capable. Then,  if we start to dominate the game without scoring then you can look to change it a bit, but we have to get a hold of games against Gibraltar and Georgia. Yesterday, it felt like Mick put out an eleven that was individually most likely to score. Every player seemed a goal threat, but without a modicum of organisation or structure to help them do that.

Think that midfield is probably our best option against the bigger teams too.

The plan should be to have a physical presence in midfield and play simple passes out to our wide players which is where we arguably have the most depth.

O'Dowda, Doherty, Robinson and Brady (maybe) are all decent on the ball and should be encouraged to get forward while the likes of Whelan and Arter can fill in and allow the full backs to contribute to the attack too. 

I don't see us having any success trying to play the ball through the middle - even our goal against Gibraltar came from a bit of half decent wing play. 

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:32pm
3-1

McGoldrick, McLean, Keogh

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:32pm
Fair enough! Although that is assuming Duffy looks for a target when he knocks those balls forward.

Posted By: RobsYourUncle
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:37pm
Mick's post-match yesterday sounded to me like Doherty won't start on Tuesday. "It was an experiment and it didn't work" was the line I think, and I don't think he drops Stevens to put him at LB, so would be surprised if he starts.

Would take any sort of a win at all. Georgia collapsed a bit after the first Swiss goal yesterday but they move the ball around far better than we do so I think they'll have a fair chunk of possession. A scrappy 1-0 will do, they will take points off of one of the top 3 in this group, just need to make sure it isn't us.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:03pm
1-0 Ireland

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:10pm
I don't get how McCarthy concluded that Doherty on the right didn't work and is now binning the idea. Did McClean on the left work in the same game? The whole notion is absolutely bizarre. Did McCarthy expect to see Doherty do what he regularly does with Wolves in the PL or something? He wasn't even close to being our worst player yesterday, yet he faces the drop. It is comical stuff.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I don't get how McCarthy concluded that Doherty on the right didn't work and is now binning the idea. Did McClean on the left work in the same game? The whole notion is absolutely bizarre. Did McCarthy expect to see Doherty do what he regularly does with Wolves in the PL or something? He wasn't even close to being our worst player yesterday, yet he faces the drop. It is comical stuff.
I get the impression he never wanted it to work and was doing it to appease the media, which is a real worry in itself. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:22pm
If that is the case with the Doherty situation, we are in an even worse place than I believe we are LOL

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm

Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

I get where you're coming from, but playing a team like that at home won't wash. ZERO guile in the midfield. Even if we string passes together, you're looking at pragmatism and sideways/backwards passes all over the shop. Need someone to put their foot on the ball and who at least has the potential for a killer pass (or even a forward pass).

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:29pm

If that is the case with the Doherty situation, we are in an even worse place than I believe we are LOL
That's how it appears to me. Absolutely nothing worked yesterday, but he is dismissing that from ever working? Come on! If that is the case there would be 10 changes for Tuesday!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

I get where you're coming from, but playing a team like that at home won't wash. ZERO guile in the midfield. Even if we string passes together, you're looking at pragmatism and sideways/backwards passes all over the shop. Need someone to put their foot on the ball and who at least has the potential for a killer pass (or even a forward pass).
All we need to do is find such a mythical creature.

-------------

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:32pm
Big MICK OUT

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:33pm

That's how it appears to me. Absolutely nothing worked yesterday, but he is dismissing that from ever working? Come on! If that is the case there would be 10 changes for Tuesday!

Oh I agree, I can't get my head around it at all. Hooking Doherty after 50 odd minutes when he wasn't nearly our worst player. When the Coleman Doherty combination wasn't nearly our biggest issue. There is zero logic to anything McCarthy has done around the Doherty situation imo. 

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:38pm

Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

Get rid of Arter and replace with Hourihane. Swap Judge for Brady.

Nothing mythical needed, but that midfield 3 aint doing nothing. 

Arter and Whelan in the same midfield against Georgia...at home? Georgia are a decent team going forward, but you need to exploit their sh!te defence. The midfield will do no such thing.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:55pm

Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

Get rid of Arter and replace with Hourihane. Swap Judge for Brady.

Nothing mythical needed, but that midfield 3 aint doing nothing. 

Arter and Whelan in the same midfield against Georgia...at home? Georgia are a decent team going forward, but you need to exploit their sh!te defence. The midfield will do no such thing.
We need a midfield structure, players with some grasp of positional sense or we will have a similar performance to yesterday. This idea that we can give up structure and shape for more of an attacking threat was debunked yesterday. I am no lover of Arter, I think he is sh*te, but he  would give us some structure.
Hourihane offers no guile whatsoever, he really offers very little. He drifts around on the fringes of games and little more. He has a decent strike and a decent set-piece, it should be a straight choice between him and Jazzy Jeff, you can't have two luxury players on the pitch. Personally, I would have Hourihane on for his set-pieces,but  unfortunately the jazzmeister won't be dropped.
Judge's best position isn't on the left, I don't see the need to shoehorn him in there. I know Brady has done f**k all for years, but he is our best option there still by default.

These are the harsh realities of where we are at.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm
The EIRE 1-0 Geowgia

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:03pm
I'm not sure why Hendrick is being singled out for particular opprobrium, his goal represented our solitary moment of attacking quality in the game. The entire team were atrocious. Only Randolph comes away from the game with any modicum of credit from an Irish point of view.

We were so appallingly bad that at times it was almost untrue. Enda Stevens threw the ball directly out of play from a throw-in at one stage. I'm not sure I've ever seen this before from a professional footballer. Such are McClean's limitations and lack of guile that in his frustration at failing to make any kind of impression, even against this level of opposition, he was reduced to kicking out at the slightly portly gas fitter who was successfully marking him out the game.

This was a match against a team ranked only ahead of San Marino and who'd shipped 11 goals in their previous two matches, including 6 to Armenia, in the same ground and on the same surface. We can't possibly overstate just how awful this was, and there is no excuse.

McClean, Doherty and Maguire need space to run into behind to be effective. Against a team defending as deep as Gibraltar you either need players with  good touch and clever movement playing little one-twos - requiring a subtlety of play we've hitherto shown ourselves incapable of - or a big Collins-style centre-forward who can unsettle the opposing defence, win balls in the air, and allow others to profit from second balls. We did neither, and this is why we struggled to create chances.

Georgia will be a different kind of game. I agree Whelan should start. I have a feeling Judge will play as well. I'm not sure Brady's fit, but maybe Mick'll think he can get an hour out of him. The bar has been set so low that even an improved performance would represent some kind of progress. I wouldn't be surprised if we drew or even lost this, however.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie<b> NewtNewbie wrote:

I'm not sure why Hendrick is being singled out for particular opprobrium, his goal represented our solitary moment of attacking quality in the game.
The entire team were atrocious. Only Randolph comes away from the game with any modicum of credit from an Irish point of view.

We were so appallingly bad that at times it was almost untrue. Enda Stevens threw the ball directly out of play from a throw-in at one stage. I'm not sure I've ever seen this before from a professional footballer. Such are McClean's limitations and lack of guile that in his frustration at failing to make any kind of impression, even against this level of opposition, he was reduced to kicking out at the slightly portly gas fitter who was successfully marking him out the game.

This was a match against a team ranked only ahead of San Marino and who'd shipped 11 goals in their previous two matches, including 6 to Armenia, in the same ground and on the same surface. We can't possibly overstate just how awful this was, and there is no excuse.

McClean, Doherty and Maguire need space to run into behind to be effective. Against a team defending as deep as Gibraltar you either need players with  good touch and clever movement playing little one-twos - requiring a subtlety of play we've hitherto shown ourselves incapable of - or a big Collins-style centre-forward who can unsettle the opposing defence, win balls in the air, and allow others to profit from second balls. We did neither, and this is why we struggled to create chances.

Georgia will be a different kind of game. I agree Whelan should start. I have a feeling Judge will play as well. I'm not sure Brady's fit, but maybe Mick'll think he can get an hour out of him. The bar has been set so low that even an improved performance would represent some kind of progress. I wouldn't be surprised if we drew or even lost this, however.
I agree that his partner in crime, Hourihane, should get equal criticism, but the reason that we were so utterly, utterly inept yesterday was, yet again, that  we didn't have a midfield. Have a look back at any one of the umpteen big humps down the field by Duffy and look to see if either the boy wonder or robin were within thirty yards of him and looking for the ball. Granted, neither of these players are suited to the role, certainly not together, but their cowardice against such a bad team was embarrassing for professional footballers. That is why he is getting stick. 
I do think Hourihane is getting away with a bit, but that game was made for Hendrick  to go prove us all wrong, to get on the ball and drive us forward, instead he shirked responsibility and hid and because of that we played the game at their level and could have played a far, far bigger price and, if we had, those two would be getting slated across the board. Instead, because he scored a goal against Gibraltar, and the other fella hit a couple of decent free-kicks, we are supposed to ignore how poor they were.

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:24pm

Agreed.

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 5:49pm
2-0 or 2-1

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:05pm
0-2.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:26pm

I'm not sure why Hendrick is being singled out for particular opprobrium, his goal represented our solitary moment of attacking quality in the game.
The entire team were atrocious. Only Randolph comes away from the game with any modicum of credit from an Irish point of view.

I agree that his partner in crime, Hourihane, should get equal criticism, but the reason that we were so utterly, utterly inept yesterday was, yet again, that  we didn't have a midfield. Have a look back at any one of the umpteen big humps down the field by Duffy and look to see if either the boy wonder or robin were within thirty yards of him and looking for the ball. Granted, neither of these players are suited to the role, certainly not together, but their cowardice against such a bad team was embarrassing for professional footballers. That is why he is getting stick. 
I do think Hourihane is getting away with a bit, but that game was made for Hendrick  to go prove us all wrong, to get on the ball and drive us forward, instead he shirked responsibility and hid and because of that we played the game at their level and could have played a far, far bigger price and, if we had, those two would be getting slated across the board. Instead, because he scored a goal against Gibraltar, and the other fella hit a couple of decent free-kicks, we are supposed to ignore how poor they were.
I don't think anybody can ignore how poor any of the players were, and in every area of the pitch. If McCarthy (and especially his predecessor) had've named a side with a holder like Whelan or Arter in a 5-man midfield against a side like Gibraltar fans would've decried this as an overly cautious and negative move. In the event we were so evenly matched with this team of amateurs he ended up having to withdraw a striker and bring Arter on to see out the win. That's a measure of low we've sunk. Hourihane and Hendrick are notorious for their flakiness and for flitting in and out of games, so playing them both together is just asking for trouble.

We need somebody with, to use Gilesy well-worn cliché 'the moral courage' to demand the ball drive the team forward and make things happen. This has been the case for a very long time. Is Hendrick appreciably worse than any of our other sub-par midfield options for going missing and failing to take the game by the scruff of the neck? I'm not so sure. And Hourihane getting MotM yesterday was laughable.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

I don't think anybody can ignore how poor any of the players were, and in every area of the pitch. If McCarthy (and especially his predecessor) had've named a side with a holder like Whelan or Arter in a 5-man midfield against a side like Gibraltar fans would've decried this as an overly cautious and negative move. In the event we were so evenly matched with this team of amateurs he ended up having to withdraw a striker and bring Arter on to see out the win. That's a measure of low we've sunk. Hourihane and Hendrick are notorious for their flakiness and for flitting in and out of games, so playing them both together is just asking for trouble.

We need somebody with, to use Gilesy well-worn cliché 'the moral courage' to demand the ball drive the team forward and make things happen. This has been the case for a very long time. Is Hendrick appreciably worse than any of our other sub-par midfield options for going missing and failing to take the game by the scruff of the neck? I'm not so sure. And Hourihane getting MotM yesterday was laughable.
Yesterday was his chance, if he doesn't have the 'moral courage' against Gibraltar you would have to say that yes, he is worse than the other sub-par midfield options . I would have taken him off at half-time for Arter, who is a very ordinary player, but I doubt even he would have hid.
McCarthy shouldn't give a f**k about the fans or the media, it is usually one of his most endearing and beneficial qualities. 
I agree with all the rest though, we are lacking that player and Mick got his tactics all wrong yesterday by playing them together, but that doesn't absolve either of them from blame.

-------------

Posted By: PaConnors
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:46pm
I think we'll win 2-0.

Duffy will score from a corner/free-kick and we'll get a second towards the end on the break . 

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:01pm
2-0 home win for me....first home game under Mick with 3 points in the bag from yesterday against a Georgian team who have a long trip, and no doubt down after losing despite playing well on saturday..

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:06pm
1 0 home win (hopefully)

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:21pm
It'll either be 1-0 or 1-1 I think, don't see us losing but a draw is quite possible.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:00pm
2-1 Ireland

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:18pm
Previously under McCarthy we were much better at home than away. So I would expect an improved performance and a win by 1 or 2 goals.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Previously under McCarthy we were much better at home than away. So I would expect an improved performance and a win by 1 or 2 goals.

You cannot base what went before to now. 
17 years ago! 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

17 years ago! 

McCarthy is a win your home games, try and get something away, type manager. It's the Charlton DNA in him.

After his first campaign, he made Lansdowne a fortress. That's what he'll try to do again.

.....................HOME........AWAY

.....................W D L

FRA....... 98 - 2 4 0         3 0 3

EURO 2000 - 4 1 0         1 2 2

JAP/KOR 02 - 5 1 0         3 2 1

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:44pm
0-0 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:28pm

17 years ago! 

McCarthy is a win your home games, try and get something away, type manager. It's the Charlton DNA in him.

After his first campaign, he made Lansdowne a fortress. That's what he'll try to do again.

Ah here ffs. Look at the squad he had then and has  now. Majority of those starting XI's then were playing top flight football in England on an almost weekly basis. The players we have now aren't

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:32pm
2-0

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:25pm
1-0 for us

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: GINN2
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

17 years ago! 

Ah here ffs. Look at the squad he had then and has  now. Majority of those starting XI's then were playing top flight football in England on an almost weekly basis. The players we have now aren't

+1

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

17 years ago! 

The team back then was undoubtedly better, but what I'm talking about is how I expect McCarthy to approach the games at home in this campaign.

Based on past performance, I think we'll get a much more positive strategy. 

What we got from him in the past was a higher tempo of play. More pressure on the opposition, and more chances created. A mix of passing and long balls, and therefore more possession of the ball.

Over the last number of years it's been very comfortable for teams coming to Lansdowne. We let them have the ball, even teams like Moldova. We have been very predictable and have taken few risks. We don't create many chances. We waste time a lot, and we don't "inflict our game" on the opposition. 

And the atmosphere has been very flat.

We've had good away form for years but our poor performance in home games is what is costing us qualification for tournaments.

If it's the old McCarthy, we should be going out to win games from the start, getting the crowd going and making Lansdowne a place teams hate to come to.

Posted By: rebelbrowser
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm
"...If it's the old McCarthy, we should be going out to win games from the start, getting the crowd going and making Lansdowne a place teams hate to come to...."

Yeah, and Roy Keane should be told to really intimidate the Georgian midfield from the off.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

It's got Draw written all over it 

I'd agree there Fruice

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Sullivinho
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 5:13pm
2-1

Early goal.
Concession of impetus.
Georgia equalizer.
Late rally.
Added time winner.
Tony O'Donoghue questions Mick about Delaney.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm
2-1 Ireland but if I wasn't Irish and didn't have any bias 1-1 written all over it. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:11pm
2-0 Ireland, one of the goals being a pen

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:18pm
Who takes our penalties these days?

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:25pm
This game worries me. Hopefully a 1-0 scrappy win

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:31pm
0-0

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:36pm
I hope to f**k I'm wrong but I've an awful sense of dread that this is gonna be a frustrating night for us that ends up in a draw.
Hopefully not though. There will surely be a reaction out of the players after how bad we were against Gibraltar.

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

I hope to f**k I'm wrong but I've an awful sense of dread that this is gonna be a frustrating night for us that ends up in a draw.
Hopefully not though. There will surely be a reaction out of the players after how bad we were against Gibraltar.
I would take a draw after Saturday!

-------------

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:22pm
0-0

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:28pm
No we will win. Not sure how or by how much but im convinced we will win. Hope its as comfortable as possible but im posotive we will do it.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

"...If it's the old McCarthy, we should be going out to win games from the start, getting the crowd going and making Lansdowne a place teams hate to come to...."

Yeah, and Roy Keane should be told to really intimidate the Georgian midfield from the off.

If you're comparing Mick v Roy, I say; hope for a change in atmosphere, a change in performance, and a change in result tomorrow. And tell Roy to f**k off. 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:19pm
Very scrappy 2-1 win where you’ll be saying Georgia could have won that game if they took their chances themselves. 

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: Georgi
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 1:00am
Some of you guys are panicking too much. All our decent players are missing or not match fit. Ananidze got injured during swi game, Chakvetadze was already out, Okriashvili hasn't played a game this year and our striker also just came back from injury. Only players that are fit for us are defenders and defensive midfielders..

So yea this is gonna be a boring grind. Possible 0-0 unless someone slips up. 

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Georgi Georgi wrote:

Some of you guys are panicking too much. All our decent players are missing or not match fit. Ananidze got injured during swi game, Chakvetadze was already out, Okriashvili hasn't played a game this year and our striker also just came back from injury. Only players that are fit for us are defenders and defensive midfielders..

So yea this is gonna be a boring grind. Possible 0-0 unless someone slips up. 

Thanks Georgi. 4-0 Ireland so 

Posted By: counterlock
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 8:36am
2-0 handily. I'm optimistic about this

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

2-0 handily. I'm optimistic about this
We've never had a handy game against Georgia and this is the worst Ireland team to play them. I think we'll grind out a 1-0 win but I'm not confident about it and I wouldn't be surprised with any result.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 9:04am
Confident the closer it gets. Think it'll be a straight forward enough win tonight.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 9:15am
0-0

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 9:24am
Score early and we'll win comfortably, I don't think we will though so will go for a 1-1.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 9:59am
2-0.

I'm predicting we'll start surprisingly brightly and be two up after the first half hour. Nothing whatsoever to occur after that point and the game to finish 2-0.

Posted By: Deco79
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 10:12am
Ireland 2-0 Georgia Unfortunately remember them playing us off the park the last time in Tbilisi though, but I think under Mick we'll have a bit more momentum about us and a telling sign was Jeff Hendrick saying he's been told to get forward more which I think is a good sign in how we will approach these types of games unlike under O'Neill's tenure at the end  

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 10:14am
I said 1-1 after that shocking display against Gibraltar but the closer we get to kick off the more confident I am. 

2-0 Ireland Duffy first goal. 

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 10:21am
Ireland 0-1 Georgia, I hope I'm wrong.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 10:33am
My concern is where are the goals in the team.

For so long we had Keane available to us, and between Long and Walters there have been over 30 goals. Even Darryl Murphy in his later years seemed like a potential.

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 10:55am
The elusive midfielder that can see a pass is all well and good if we find one but finding players that can receive the pass and do something with it is another problem entirely.
You could put Ferguson, Shankly and the Ayatollah in charge of this lot and the result would be the same.

No score draw or 0-1 Georgia.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:11am
I've a bad feeling about tonight, 1-1.

Posted By: RayHoughton
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:15am
Ireland 1 Georgia nil...back to the studio!

-------------
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I've a bad feeling about tonight, 1-1.

That would be a decent result LOL

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 12:21pm
I think we’ve forgotten how to win against decent teams. A win would be a great result for our form and confidence, anything less would be very discouraging

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 12:24pm
3-0 The good times are on the way back.

Posted By: kerryman95
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 1:44pm
Two nil Ireland. McGoldrick double. Improved performance

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net