13 [15.48%]
32 [38.10%]
16 [19.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I put down a score draw, but this could be any score imaginable. The only thing I would rule out is an Ireland hammering. Anything could happen between two poor sides. It is more conceivable that we collapse and get beaten 4-0 than win by a similar score, especially if we play the same team. 
I expect there will be changes though, just not as many as I would like.

Who would you bring in PM? 

The midfield is key in every game, we can't be humping the ball away all game and in games where the impetus is on us to control the ball, like yesterday and Tuesday, we probably need a 'horses for courses' approach. We need a midfield structure of some sort and stop being so wasteful. I know we don't have world beaters to come in, but some semblance of intelligence in picking the team and tactics. 
I couldn't understand the logic of that midfield before the game and I understand it less afterwards. Hendrick and Hourihane are two lads who get slaughtered by their club fans for going missing for their teams, they don't regularly play as central midfielders in a 4-4-2, so sticking them  together in such a system seemed bizarre.  Neither of them ever demanded the ball and set the tempo and regularly played hopeful, and often dangerous, percentage balls.  I don't think we have two midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, maybe Mick thought it would work against Gibraltar,, but his attempts to rectify it don't fill me with hope! If Hendrick has to play it should be in front of two players who will cover him when he loses it and who will also look for the ball from defence.
                      Randolph
Coleman     Duffy       Egan      Stevens
              Whelan        Arter
Doherty         Hendrick           Brady
                     Maguire 

Something like that should see us structured  enough to get a foothold in the game and compete with Georgia in midfield,where they do look capable. Then,  if we start to dominate the game without scoring then you can look to change it a bit, but we have to get a hold of games against Gibraltar and Georgia. Yesterday, it felt like Mick put out an eleven that was individually most likely to score. Every player seemed a goal threat, but without a modicum of organisation or structure to help them do that.
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:17pm
I agree with most of what you said and absolutely agree with getting the midfield right. It is bizzare that so many media commentators focus on the lack of strikers and overlook our bigger problems in midfield. 

I wouldn't go with Maguire up front though. The team you have would surely be able to get some crosses in and think Collins is a better all round option. 

What is Egan's distribution like from the back? Hope his default isn't to pass to Duffy for the long punt. 
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:18pm
1all draw for me. can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Glen Whelan starts - might bring a bit of organization to things 
garretjoseph View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretjoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:21pm
3-0
Mick turns it around. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm

I agree with most of what you said and absolutely agree with getting the midfield right. It is bizzare that so many media commentators focus on the lack of strikers and overlook our bigger problems in midfield. 

I wouldn't go with Maguire up front though. The team you have would surely be able to get some crosses in and think Collins is a better all round option. 

What is Egan's distribution like from the back? Hope his default isn't to pass to Duffy for the long punt. 
Collins should be an option off the bench, but I think having him on from the start would lead to Duffy taking command of the ball, humping it at him and we will be back to playing without any structure. Let's try and link with Maguire, who only gets the nod because of the lack of alternatives, and see if he is good enough or not.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:29pm

I put down a score draw, but this could be any score imaginable. The only thing I would rule out is an Ireland hammering. Anything could happen between two poor sides. It is more conceivable that we collapse and get beaten 4-0 than win by a similar score, especially if we play the same team. 

The midfield is key in every game, we can't be humping the ball away all game and in games where the impetus is on us to control the ball, like yesterday and Tuesday, we probably need a 'horses for courses' approach. We need a midfield structure of some sort and stop being so wasteful. I know we don't have world beaters to come in, but some semblance of intelligence in picking the team and tactics. 
I couldn't understand the logic of that midfield before the game and I understand it less afterwards. Hendrick and Hourihane are two lads who get slaughtered by their club fans for going missing for their teams, they don't regularly play as central midfielders in a 4-4-2, so sticking them  together in such a system seemed bizarre.  Neither of them ever demanded the ball and set the tempo and regularly played hopeful, and often dangerous, percentage balls.  I don't think we have two midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, maybe Mick thought it would work against Gibraltar,, but his attempts to rectify it don't fill me with hope! If Hendrick has to play it should be in front of two players who will cover him when he loses it and who will also look for the ball from defence.
                      Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

Something like that should see us structured  enough to get a foothold in the game and compete with Georgia in midfield,where they do look capable. Then,  if we start to dominate the game without scoring then you can look to change it a bit, but we have to get a hold of games against Gibraltar and Georgia. Yesterday, it felt like Mick put out an eleven that was individually most likely to score. Every player seemed a goal threat, but without a modicum of organisation or structure to help them do that.

Think that midfield is probably our best option against the bigger teams too.

The plan should be to have a physical presence in midfield and play simple passes out to our wide players which is where we arguably have the most depth.

O'Dowda, Doherty, Robinson and Brady (maybe) are all decent on the ball and should be encouraged to get forward while the likes of Whelan and Arter can fill in and allow the full backs to contribute to the attack too. 

I don't see us having any success trying to play the ball through the middle - even our goal against Gibraltar came from a bit of half decent wing play. 
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:32pm
3-1

McGoldrick, McLean, Keogh
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:32pm
Fair enough! Although that is assuming Duffy looks for a target when he knocks those balls forward.
RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:37pm
Mick's post-match yesterday sounded to me like Doherty won't start on Tuesday. "It was an experiment and it didn't work" was the line I think, and I don't think he drops Stevens to put him at LB, so would be surprised if he starts.

Would take any sort of a win at all. Georgia collapsed a bit after the first Swiss goal yesterday but they move the ball around far better than we do so I think they'll have a fair chunk of possession. A scrappy 1-0 will do, they will take points off of one of the top 3 in this group, just need to make sure it isn't us.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:03pm
1-0 Ireland
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:10pm
I don't get how McCarthy concluded that Doherty on the right didn't work and is now binning the idea. Did McClean on the left work in the same game? The whole notion is absolutely bizarre. Did McCarthy expect to see Doherty do what he regularly does with Wolves in the PL or something? He wasn't even close to being our worst player yesterday, yet he faces the drop. It is comical stuff.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I don't get how McCarthy concluded that Doherty on the right didn't work and is now binning the idea. Did McClean on the left work in the same game? The whole notion is absolutely bizarre. Did McCarthy expect to see Doherty do what he regularly does with Wolves in the PL or something? He wasn't even close to being our worst player yesterday, yet he faces the drop. It is comical stuff.
I get the impression he never wanted it to work and was doing it to appease the media, which is a real worry in itself. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:22pm
If that is the case with the Doherty situation, we are in an even worse place than I believe we are LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm

Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

I get where you're coming from, but playing a team like that at home won't wash. ZERO guile in the midfield. Even if we string passes together, you're looking at pragmatism and sideways/backwards passes all over the shop. Need someone to put their foot on the ball and who at least has the potential for a killer pass (or even a forward pass).
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:29pm

If that is the case with the Doherty situation, we are in an even worse place than I believe we are LOL
That's how it appears to me. Absolutely nothing worked yesterday, but he is dismissing that from ever working? Come on! If that is the case there would be 10 changes for Tuesday!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Randolph
              Whelan        Arter
                     Maguire 

I get where you're coming from, but playing a team like that at home won't wash. ZERO guile in the midfield. Even if we string passes together, you're looking at pragmatism and sideways/backwards passes all over the shop. Need someone to put their foot on the ball and who at least has the potential for a killer pass (or even a forward pass).
All we need to do is find such a mythical creature.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:32pm
Big MICK OUT
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:33pm

That's how it appears to me. Absolutely nothing worked yesterday, but he is dismissing that from ever working? Come on! If that is the case there would be 10 changes for Tuesday!

Oh I agree, I can't get my head around it at all. Hooking Doherty after 50 odd minutes when he wasn't nearly our worst player. When the Coleman Doherty combination wasn't nearly our biggest issue. There is zero logic to anything McCarthy has done around the Doherty situation imo. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic