You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2020 qualifiers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:58am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Jesus watching england games is so boring. They dont even seem like qualifying games. Teams just seem to roll over. Yes they have quality but its always seems so easy for them. 

Mere formalities. Next month it will be a full decade since they last lost a qualifying match.
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Paul Andrew White Paul Andrew White wrote:

Scotland wasting time and points. Lovely shirt but lousy squad. They can't click it in can they? They have resources far more than teams like Albania or Iceland but they are unable to perform and get results

Scotland are sorely lacking at centre-half - always the hallmark of strong Scotland teams of the past - and at right-back. There's just no quality there. They've similar problems in goal; two League One goalkeepers and aging journeyman Marshall are their options in their most recent squad. Liam Kelly - probably the pick of the current bunch - not getting his game at QPR must be a disappointment. And it's no good having two outstanding left-backs when you can only field one.

Up front, too, there are no real options there. McBurnie's never really impressed me when I've seen him, and isn't really an out-and-out number 9, anyway.

A greater concern is the general malaise surrounding the national set-up. This has been going on for the better part of a couple of decades and goes beyond individual managers. The lack of commitment from players is appalling - we've all seen the McBurnie/Fleck video that's been doing the rounds. Where once a an international call-up was considered an honour, it's now treated as an unwelcome chore. The amount of cry-offs before each game, often for the most pathetic reasons, and the early retirements, would trouble me enormously if I were a supporter.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 08 Sep 2019 at 10:41am
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:40am
There's nothing as boring as those England qualifiers. It is bizarre the almost comatose state a lot of their opponents seem to play those games in. I really miss the good old days of Steve McClaren.

Winning the world cup gives you a lot of leeway. Joachim Löw is approaching the three failed tournaments since a world cup win that saw the likes of  Alf Ramsay sacked. Failure to win at windsor park tomorrow night could see him close to the end? I thought he was lucky to survive last years very mediocre world cup finals performance.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 08 Sep 2019 at 10:45am
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:54am
I don't disagree on the central defenders and right backs, it's a big problem. We don't have enough right footed players in the squad either. 

Tierney I'd expect to be playing either centre back or right back when he returns. It's far from ideal of course but Tierney can't displace Robertson and yet can't be left on the bench either. Tommy Docherty and then Willie Ormond had the exact same problem with Danny McGrain and the late much missed Sandy Jardine.

I'm pretty confident that McLaughlin and MacGillivray will be playing Championship football next season either with their present clubs or with other clubs. Kelly is still young with time on his side at least. 

Call offs aren't the issue they were. We only had two players call off for the Russia and Belgium games. Not a single player pulled out of the squad for the Cyprus and Belgium game. The players evidently are more content with Steve Clarke than they are McLeish.

Players retirements I would be angry about if they are still in their prime like Norwood has recently gone and done to the IFA team. But I can accept Alan McGegor. Alan Hutton and Steven Fletcher's decisions because of their age.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 3:37pm
Bosnia 2-2 with Armenia having come back from 2-1 down, about 15 mins to go. They're nearly out of automatic qualification than in if they don't win (also puts them as  a near definite B playoff team)- though mathematically, they can still get there at this stage. As I typed that, Armenia scored a third. Bosnia fcuked. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 3:54pm
4-2 armenia.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 3:55pm
Think we need to hope for more then 4 League B teams that don’t qualify automatically
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:46pm
Few good games tonight. Finland v italy and sweden v norway. Prob watch the italians.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:05pm
Fantastic cross from chiesa and header from immobile. Italy 1 up
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:20pm
Pukki peno to equalise. Looks like italy and the finns will go through from this group anyway.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:28pm
Jorginho peno. Italy back in front.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:30pm
Liechtenstein equalise late on in Greece
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:33pm
I havent seen much of greece lately but have they become that bad? What has happened to them. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:58pm
Having watched highlights there on another day Greece win that comfortably.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:29am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I havent seen much of greece lately but have they become that bad? What has happened to them. 
They've had a very weird recent history

Euro 2008 - qualified
World Cup 2010 - qualified
Euro 2012 - qualified
World Cup 2014 - qualified
Euro 2016 - Pot 1 for the draw, awful results including 2 losses to Faroe Islands, finished bottom of the group
World Cup 2018 - made the playoffs, lost to Croatia
Euro 2020 - Look done already, lost to Armenia and Finland, but drew to Liechtenstein.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 4:32pm
I think the results we want tonight are as follows:

Germany to beat Northern Ireland
Netherlands to beat Estonia
We want Germany and Netherlands to qualify out of that group

Slovakia to beat Hungary
Croatia to beat Azerbaijan
We want two from Slovakia, Wales and Croatia to qualify out of that group

The Poland v Austria one is tricky but probably Austria to beat Poland and Israel and Slovenia to draw
We want Poland and Austria to qualify out of that group
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Slovakia to beat Hungary

The Poland v Austria one is tricky but probably Austria to beat Poland and Israel and Slovenia to draw

In fairness I'd want ISIS and Al Qaeda to qualify out of that group if they were in with those sh*tebags up the road. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Slovakia to beat Hungary

In fairness I'd want ISIS and Al Qaeda to qualify out of that group if they were in with those sh*tebags up the road. 
Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
  Share Topic