Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56896
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 1:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: EURO 2020 qualifiers
Posted By: TonyNotJack
Subject: EURO 2020 qualifiers
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 2:58pm
"It's much harder to qualify now than it was 30 years ago!" - Wee Gordon Strachan

Confused

Replies:
Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

"It's much harder to qualify now than it was 30 years ago!" - Wee Gordon Strachan

Confused
Being from Scotland, he should know! LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:07pm
1-0 Kazaks

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:07pm
Come on Kaz LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:10pm
2 down Wtf LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:11pm
Thank f**k we got the rock and not the Borat lads!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:12pm
With that defence it was always coming! They have some decent midfielders, but not a single defender. The reverse of us!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:13pm
That first goal was excellent. It looked decent on first viewing but more impressive with every replay.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:14pm
Oh my

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:16pm
f**king hell.

We shouldn’t laugh because this could be happening to ourselves pretty soon. 

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:16pm
What sort of team is that they have out? Don't recognise a lot of them. They crippled with injuries or something?

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:22pm
This is typical Celtic away performance in Europe..utter shambles 😂

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

f**king hell.

3-0 now 

Georgia beat Kaz home and away in the Nations league.

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:13pm
Scotland all over the place 3 0 down and deserve to be.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
Kazakhstan haven't won a qualifier better than 3-0 since joining UEFA. Scotland have been brutal.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

f**king hell.

3-0 now 

Even I don't think we can be as bad as this! A lot of rumours that McLeish has been hitting the bottle hard and has a problem. Their defence has been in tatters, but their midfield, which looks alright on paper, has been dreadful on grass.
Out of the group after ten minutes must be a record, even for Scotland!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:27pm
At least the Scots are guaranteed a playoff 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:32pm

f**king hell.

3-0 now 

Scotland's starting eleven is absolutely muck. (They have a better eleven of players not available / on the bench).

I don't actually recognize any of the names in their back line, and while the likes of Armstrong, McGinn and Forrest are half decent attacking players, all are too lightweight and lack any real physical presence in midfield.

Surprised that McTominay didn't start, he would have done a better job at breaking up the play and starting attacks.

McGregor is a brutal choice for captaincy too.

Should be highlighted that the likes of Kazakhstan, Georgia and even Azerbaijan are always hard to play away against and usually have two or three nifty players who keep the ball well.

They usually struggle in front of goal but have been clinical tonight.  

Probably an argument to be made that naturally these countries produce technically better footballers than us and Scotland do but often lack in other areas.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

That what shows up Strachan's ridiculous statement of it being harder to qualify now than 30 years ago for what it is. For the 1988 qualifiers you had us (when we were really good) Belgium, Bulgaria (when they were really good) and Scotland in a group with only the winners qualifying. Nothing even for coming second. Only 8 teams in the finals!

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:44pm

They'll f**k that up too

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

They'll f**k that up too

Got a hunch they wil see off San Marino.
Wink

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:49pm

They'll f**k that up too
I can't remember how the playoffs work, if we get a play-off can we get them? It might be our only hope!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:52pm
No, we can't. They won their nations league group so they can't be in a playoff bracket with teams from a higher nations league division.

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

They'll f**k that up too

Got a hunch they wil see off San Marino.
Wink
Wanna bet? At this stage San Marino might even fancy their chances against this lot! LOLLOLLOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
They'll have to beat two similarly ranked teams to qualify through the play-offs, I can't see that happening on the basis of this performance.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm
Kazakhstan celebrating like they've won the Euros. Someone should tell them they've only beaten Scotland. 

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

f**king hell.

3-0 now 

Even I don't think we can be as bad as this! A lot of rumours that McLeish has been hitting the bottle hard and has a problem. Their defence has been in tatters, but their midfield, which looks alright on paper, has been dreadful on grass.
Out of the group after ten minutes must be a record, even for Scotland!
Must be hard supporting rangers these days 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 5:01pm

They'll have to beat two similarly ranked teams to qualify through the play-offs, I can't see that happening on the basis of this performance.

Finland, Serbia or Norway providing none of those qualify automatically  

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm
https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1108778473290645510?s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1108778473290645510?s=19

Not a happy bunch

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:13pm
Cyprus 5-0 up against San Marino 

Scotland will probably draw 0-0 on Sunday LOL

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 7:32pm
Nobody beats the Jocks when it comes to feck ups in the qualifiers LOL

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:19pm
Half an hour in and world cup finalists Croatia are losing at home 0-1 to Azerbaijan.

-------------

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 10:41pm
Made my opinions abundantly clear over on the TAMB 

I hope for the good of our country and his own health (he is clearly not a well man) that Alex McLeish will do the right thing and hand in his resignation whatever the result of the San Marino game.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

I hope for the good of our country and his own health (he is clearly not a well man) that Alex McLeish will do the right thing and hand in his resignation whatever the result of the San Marino game.

Read that. You reckon Clarke or Billic are realistic  ?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:02pm
@Crap senior

Ritchie asked to be excused from internationals for a while. So he can go and get f**ked. We don't want players with stinking commitment.

Also he just wasn't really all that good in the games he played. I'd rather give young uns' like David Turnbull, Glenn Middleton or Jake Hastie a run out before ever bringing back Ritchie.

@Denis Irwin

Billic, I'd love. However I'm a realist. He won't give up his current lucrative job in the Gulf unless a big club side want him or Croatia one day ask him back.

Clarke should be approached without a doubt. Does he want the hassle though ? I don't know.

It's been suggested over on the TAMB that it would be typical of the SFA to appoint Malky Mackay (our current "performance director") or Scot Gemmill (current U21 Manager) and I could see that being what will happen.

McLeish's big problem is that he has been an absolute coward dealing with the club sides. 

He lets them withdraw the players for the most pathetic of reasons just so there won't be any bad blood. For all his many faults, Gordon Strachan at least never bent over backwards like that.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:19pm
I really thought this was a different Scotland. Some seriously good players in their squad and better players than us but they were a disgrace today. I’d be fuming if I were Scottish. Very similar to when Cyprus beat us 5-2. 

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:20pm

Why he had ye playing some decent stuff during the nations league didnt he? However i did look at this game over the last few days and think ye would lose. I didnt get to the bookies in time to back kaz. It was 2 nil by the time i got there. I was raging. Whats this i heard about players pulling out cause of the plastic pitch? If that happened with our players we would be mad with rage. 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:30pm

Snodgrass, Ritchie, Tierney, Robertson, McArthur, S Fletcher, Fraser, Paterson, McGregor
All scottish players missing for one reason or another. Some decent players there. All the managers fault? Me dont think so. Seen that list on TAMB.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I really thought this was a different Scotland. Some seriously good players in their squad and better players than us but they were a disgrace today. I’d be fuming if I were Scottish. Very similar to when Cyprus beat us 5-2. 

Robertson and Fraser are probably our best players but Robbo was out with a dental abscess and as for Fraser, Bournemouth have been utter kunts regarding him and the national team, they pull him out of squads frequently. 

Armstrong is not bad for us but I think the lack of game time recently at Southampton shows at present. We missed Christie too.

A lot of fans are criticising Scott McKenna for today and he did play badly but they ignore the fact he's playing after suffering a bad injury at the weekend which probably should have ruled him out. McKenna is a lad who really does enjoy playing for Scotland and has probably naively played when he shouldn't have.

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Why he had ye playing some decent stuff during the nations league didnt he? However i did look at this game over the last few days and think ye would lose. I didnt get to the bookies in time to back kaz. It was 2 nil by the time i got there. I was raging. Whats this i heard about players pulling out cause of the plastic pitch? If that happened with our players we would be mad with rage. 

We played fairly well against Albania home and away and Israel at home but apart from that it's been dire. 

Bournemouth didn't want Fraser playing on the plastic and Cardiff didn't want Paterson playing on it either. McLeish just gave in to them rather than doing his job and saying "get f**ked" like he should have.

Sheffield Wednesday also did one on us. Gave Steven Fletcher injections for ages and then scheduled an operation for the international break. Thanks ye pricks.

It was the same for the South American tour when half the original squad pulled out after "talks with the clubs", he's terrified of upsetting them. The actions of a coward.

The players don't respect him and it shows. 

And watch him being interviewed. My God, look at the state of him, he is not well and should be getting help and not managing a football team under huge pressure. Not a very PC thing to say, a few didn't like me saying it over on the TAMB, but it's the ugly truth.

Snodgrass, Ritchie, Tierney, Robertson, McArthur, S Fletcher, Fraser, Paterson, McGregor

All scottish players missing for one reason or another. Some decent players there. All the managers fault? Me dont think so. Seen that list on TAMB.

Robert Snodgrass it's rumoured had a bust up with McLeish after the Israel away game. 

Matt Ritchie is no loss, he was poor at international level and had a bad attitude. 

James McArthur was hit and miss at international level, one great game followed by a piss poor one. 

Alan McGregor is a **** of a man without a shadow of a doubt but he's also a damn good goalkeeper. We will be hard pressed to replace him.

Tierney, Robertson, Fraser are all big losses. 

Paterson is not a great player but still handy because of the amount of positions he can play and his energy. Cardiff didn't want him playing on the plastic and McLeish bent over backwards for them.

Steven Fletcher is I think overrated by many of my fellow fans but I have to admit that with Griffiths unavailable (feck knows whats happening there) and Steven Naismith injured, we have to pick him and as I said Wednesday f**ked us over with the injections and operation.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:56pm
Thats a lot of decent players tho to be missing. These players should want to play for scotland ni matter who the manager is. Thats one thing we would pride ourselves on(apart from a few wee bust ups under oneill and keane). Its poor from them. Your fcuked in this group now tho.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 12:18am

Thats a lot of decent players tho to be missing. These players should want to play for scotland ni matter who the manager is. Thats one thing we would pride ourselves on(apart from a few wee bust ups under oneill and keane). Its poor from them. Your fcuked in this group now tho.

Of course we're f**ked. Completely. Got the good SFA's "jobs for the boys" policy to thank on that front. 

In their defence some of them do care. 

Robertson is always up for the internationals but the dental problame was bad luck, he might rejoin the squad for the San Marino game. Kieren Tierney flew out to Kazakstan only to be ruled out. And I've always been impressed with Stuart Armstrong, Scott McKenna and Calum McGregor's commitment.

Since the end of the Craigie Broon reign, although far from being world beaters we always could count on Christian Dailly (who would run through a brick wall for Scotland), Kenny Miller, Gary Caldwell, Graham Alexander, Gary Naysmith, Paul Hartley, Shaun Maloney, Alan Hutton and James Morrison to turn up regularly and give it a go, even if we got beat.

The players of course should take a bloody good look at themselves the manager is incapable and should be replaced with someone who could inspire the players (particularly te younger ones) and stand up to the clubs.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 7:58pm
The Czechs think having no good players at the moment is just part of a cycle? They've been complete rubbish for at least 15 years now.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:41pm
Surely that was obstruction, which would be an indirect free-kick and not a penalty.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:14pm
Sterling hat trick. Daily Heil goes into Meltdown LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:30pm
Lithuania getting beaten 2-1 by Luxembourg 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:35pm
How do these teams in all england groups just roll over at wembley. Yes they are a good side but im positive as bad as we are at the moment we would give it a good go. Id still always fancy our chances against them. Must be boring been an england supporter. Yes they generally win but its just boring. 

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 10:30pm

Didn't Graham Taylor once relate a story of how when he was England manager, having an argument with a "Combat 18" type who said "goals scored by black players don't count" ? 

Now top of their group and above Portugal ........... albeit after only one game. Still, go on Luxembourg Clap

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 10:34pm

Didn't Graham Taylor once relate a story of how when he was England manager, having an argument with a "Combat 18" type who said "goals scored by black players don't count" ? 

Now top of their group and above Portugal ........... albeit after only one game. Still, go on Luxembourg Clap

Yep think Taylor touches on it in "Do I Not Like That"  

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 10:42pm

I knew a fella from West Cork who didn't count Rooney's goals for Manchester United for the first two seasons. Manchester United shouldn't be signing lads who come from Liverpool, apparently.I think he stopped being scouse after the second season, it might have been earlier or later. 
To be fair to the lad in question, he is one of the maddest lads I have ever met and tremendous fun, but sense rarely enters into the equation with him. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 10:59pm

I knew a fella from West Cork who didn't count Rooney's goals for Manchester United for the first two seasons. Manchester United shouldn't be signing lads who come from Liverpool, apparently.I think he stopped being scouse after the second season, it might have been earlier or later. 
To be fair to the lad in question, he is one of the maddest lads I have ever met and tremendous fun, but sense rarely enters into the equation with him. 

Wonder if he knew that Matt Busby was a Liverpool player for five years LOL

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 11:08pm
Why didn’t Sterling reveal the t shirt tribute to the young fella who died after his first goal I wonder?
Must have fancied himself to get another 

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 11:27pm

I was in lansdowne when they went 1-0 up against us in 1987 in Euro 88 qualifiers. Thankfully we ended up 2-1 winners 

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 11:28pm

Wonder if he knew that Matt Busby was a Liverpool player for five years LOL
He knew the history alright and we had that very conversation one night, the details of which are sketchy as there was cider and other vitamin supplements involved, but I do remember a long winded and nonsensical answer that I assume made perfect sense to him.

-------------

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 5:19pm
Malta currently top of Group F LOL

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:46pm
Bloody Welch have a hell of alot of young talent coming through, exciting players performing at this level already.....our underage teams are doing very well but they seem a way off breakthrough at club level let alone International level

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
Wales start with a win and how bad were Scotland the other day? The Kazakhs have lost 4-0 at home to Russia

Looking at the stats though, the Welsh might have been lucky to get the three points : the Slovaks had more possession and more shots on target

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:23pm
Israel 3-1 upon austria i see. Surprise. Svots still only 1 up on san marino. Crotia drawing in hungary. Damn all easy games these days.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:26pm
Make that israel 4-1 up now. Wow

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:53pm

Make that israel 4-1 up now. Wow
Make that 4-2. Arnie 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:31pm
Is Jonny Evans one of Rory McIlroy's alter egos?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:51pm
Great result for Israel.

Their manager is an Austrian and has just thumped his own country !

Initially some Israeli fans were protesting against the appointment of an Austrian to their national team for rather obvious historical reasons.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:55pm

Great result for Israel.

Initially some Israeli fans were protesting against the appointment of an Austrian to their national team for rather obvious historical reasons.
He was a fine player too.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:00pm

Great result for Israel.

what are your thoughts on big eck? You want him sacked?

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by BaileNuisBhoy BaileNuisBhoy wrote:

Great result for Israel.

just looked back through the thread and saw what you thought. 👍🏻

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:04pm
The Holland 2-2 Germany

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:31pm

just looked back through the thread and saw what you thought. 👍🏻[/QUOTE]

I've cooled doon a wee bit now. I have been a bit OTT with my criticism of him but aye, he really should go for the good of the country. 

It's very clear that the players have no clear instructions and don't know what he wants of them, others seem not to want to play for Scotland whilst he's the manager.

He is not a well man either. Look at him and listen to him. He should not be managing an international football team with resulting pressures. The SFA should step in and end it but they won't.

Alex McLeish deserves to be remembered as a cracking centre back for Aberdeen and Scotland in the 1980s and for his 2007 spell in charge as manager when we (briefly) got a bit of belief back. Not as the physical and mental wreck he currently is and the shambolic match performance's he's overseeing. 

If Steve Clarke won't take the job (I'm sceptical he will) then I think we should go for a foreigner. I don't want any the probable SFA native choices of Malky Mackay, David Moyes, Derek McInnes or Scot Gemmill.

Quite a lot of the TA were audibly chanting "McLeish out", "McLeish must go", "f**k the SFA", "Sack the board" at today's match.

Oddly enough, if Gordon Strachan had only just ditched some of his favourites like Barry Bannan sooner and called up Stuart Armstrong, Callum McGregor and Ryan Fraser much earlier than he did, he might still have been in a job ! I think that was his downfall at Celtic too, he was too loyal to his old favourites and it cost him.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:39pm

just looked back through the thread and saw what you thought. 👍🏻

I've cooled doon a wee bit now. I have been a bit OTT with my criticism of him but aye, he really should go for the good of the country. 

It's very clear that the players have no clear instructions and don't know what he wants of them, others seem not to want to play for Scotland whilst he's the manager.

He is not a well man either. Look at him and listen to him. He should not be managing an international football team with resulting pressures. The SFA should step in and end it but they won't.

Alex McLeish deserves to be remembered as a cracking centre back for Aberdeen and Scotland in the 1980s and for his 2007 spell in charge as manager when we (briefly) got a bit of belief back. Not as the physical and mental wreck he currently is and the shambolic match performance's he's overseeing. 

If Steve Clarke won't take the job (I'm sceptical he will) then I think we should go for a foreigner. I don't want any the probable SFA native choices of Malky Mackay, David Moyes, Derek McInnes or Scot Gemmill.

Quite a lot of the TA were audibly chanting "McLeish out", "McLeish must go", "f**k the SFA", "Sack the board" at today's match.

Oddly enough, if Gordon Strachan had only just ditched some of his favourites like Barry Bannan sooner and called up Stuart Armstrong, Callum McGregor and Ryan Fraser much earlier than he did, he might still have been in a job ! I think that was his downfall at Celtic too, he was too loyal to his old favourites and it cost him.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have any more info on his health than just his appearance? He never looked the healthiest to me!

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Do you have any more info on his health than just his appearance? He never looked the healthiest to me!

There's quite a lot people who know exactly what's wrong but I don't think I should be posting it on a public forum. However there are other places online that tell you what the problem is.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:51pm
Arthur Scargill...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Arthur Scargill...

I'm afraid you've lost me there mate LOL. Care to expand ?

That actually allows me to tell a good story related by Alex Ferguson.

During the 1984 miners strike the Scotland squad met up for their upcoming game. Our manager at that time was of course the immortal Jock Stein, with Alex Ferguson as his assistant manager. 

Early in his life before becoming a professional footballer, Stein had spent several years working down the coal mines in Lanarkshire (all gone now) and was naturally a big supporter of the miners cause.

One day the coach containing the squad, management, kit man, doctor, physio etc was on the road and near a large picket line of striking miners. Stein ordered the bus stopped. Went outside and emptied his wallet into the collection bucket. Cool

He then went back on the bus and ordered all the players to make a "generous" donation ! Clap

Quite what noted staunch Tory supporter Graeme Souness thought about this, is unknown. LOL

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:25pm
Holland-Germany great game.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:40pm

Arthur Scargill...

I'm afraid you've lost me there mate LOL. Care to expand ?

That actually allows me to tell a good story related by Alex Ferguson.

During the 1984 miners strike the Scotland squad met up for their upcoming game. Our manager at that time was of course the immortal Jock Stein, with Alex Ferguson as his assistant manager. 

Early in his life before becoming a professional footballer, Stein had spent several years working down the coal mines in Lanarkshire (all gone now) and was naturally a big supporter of the miners cause.

One day the coach containing the squad, management, kit man, doctor, physio etc was on the road and near a large picket line of striking miners. Stein ordered the bus stopped. Went outside and emptied his wallet into the collection bucket. Cool

He then went back on the bus and ordered all the players to make a "generous" donation ! Clap

Quite what noted staunch Tory supporter Graeme Souness thought about this, is unknown. LOL
Its Dublin rhymning slang for gargle and I'm sure you can work it out from there..

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:56pm
Well I've learned my first bit of Dublin rhyming slang then tonight !

As I said earlier, he's not a well man and should go. I mean if that was your father or brother looking and talking like that, alarm bells would be ringing. It actually looks even worse for the SFA to be employing a man in his poor physical and mental condition and pretending everything's alright.

Some TA at the airport tonight are reported to have told the SFA blazers exactly what they thought of them. 

We of course know that it goes a lot further than the players and manager. Every single one of those ****s in the Hampden boardroom should dooked in the Clyde

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:57pm

Its Dublin rhymning slang for gargle and I'm sure you can work it out from there..

Well I've learned my first bit of Dublin rhyming slang then tonight !

As I said earlier, he's not a well man and should go. I mean if that was your father or brother looking and talking like that, alarm bells would be ringing. It actually looks even worse for the SFA to be employing a man in his poor physical and mental condition and pretending everything's alright.

Some TA at the airport tonight are reported to have told the SFA blazers exactly what they thought of them. 

We of course know that it goes a lot further than the players and manager. Every single one of those ****s in the Hampden boardroom should dooked in the Clyde

Sounds a lot like the FAI LOL

Although things may be finally moving in the right direction for us in relation to them 

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:53am
Holland/Germany was one of the best games I've seen in an awful long time. Germany's starting X! seems to have gone really backwards, You'd definitely take the Dutch's team at this stage. Great fightback from the dutch, but those pesky Germans won it at the death.

I work with a dutch lad and have seen a lot of Holland/Ajax the past 2 years through drinking with him, I'd watch them all day at this stage.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:10am
The goal by Gnabry was brilliant. Some of the deliveries from Depay were very good.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:13am
Did a £5 correct score double last night, 2-0 to Scotland and 2-2 in the Germany game Dead

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Did a £5 correct score double last night, 2-0 to Scotland and 2-2 in the Germany game Dead

That's a kick in the nuts 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:22am
I wasn't even following the games that closely last night to check the cash out offer

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:29am

I wasn't even following the games that closely last night to check the cash out offer
You would have cashed out had you been watching.

At 2-2 the Dutch and Germans were going at each other for the last 20 mins it was obvious more goals would come. Could have been 4-4.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 4:46pm

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

There's quite a lot people who know exactly what's wrong but I don't think I should be posting it on a public forum. However there are other places online that tell you what the problem is.

Fair enough Ersatz. Will consult Dr Google

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:03pm
1-0 Montenegro

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:34pm

1-0 Montenegro
Are you Double Maxim in disguise?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:56pm
This must be the most Irishy English team ever.Michael Keane will all the Irish youth appearances scores.We don't need to go into the Rice situation.The half Irish arry Kane. The other lad Maguire and before the match Southgate was asked why Jack Grealish isn't making the squad. 

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:15pm
Hate to say it but there's a touch of early Jochium Loew's Germany about what Southgate's doing with England, looking ridiculously good....the kunts!

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:36pm
How is Tyldesley still allowed on television? He really is the king of the ****s. He decides to make a big deal out of their being no racism tonight, then points out that Montenegro has no history for it; why mention it then? He is an absolute disgrace.

Edit: It turns out there might have been, but he didn't know that, so the point stands.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:41pm
Were there not monkey chants (and I don’t mean I’m a believer)

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:42pm

I didn't hear them and, more importantly, neither did he. He was commenting on the lack of them!!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 1:42pm

Tyldesley on Twitter:
Just to be clear I did not hear any racist abuse in my headphones or I would have condemned it immediately. I mentioned the possibility of it because Raheem’s celeb was so pointed. M’negro is not a Balkan nation with a history of racist abuse. ITV reported it as soon as confirmed.

Aside from the stupidity of how he shortened Montenegro, why was he having a go at Sterling for the way he celebrated in the first place?  
It is funny how much of his Twitter feed is re-tweets from 'Kick It Out' and the like, without a hint of irony. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 2:02pm
I wasn't watching the match, but midway through the second half I read on twitter someone asking why the commentators weren't mentioning the monkey noises from the crowd and switched it on and could hear it clearly every time Rose, Hudson-Odoi or Sterling got the ball

Posted By: kerryman95
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 2:12pm
It's wrong and very upsetting for the players but sadly it is often the norm in these games against eastern european countries. They shouldn't have to put up with it, but all three had fantastic games and they deserve huge credit for that.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:21pm
Now this is significant.

TA supporters clubs are now demanding that the SFA sack McLeish. 

The support clubs never even went that far when Vogts, Burley* or the arrogant, spiteful ****** went past the point of no return.

*Wee George has my sympathy though. He suffered some unbelievably cruel bad luck during his time in charge. Such a lovely guy too who was proud as punch to be managing his country.
** also known by the name of "Craig Levein" but I know him as "that stupid ****"

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:59pm
Why do you hate Levein so much and is it just yourself personally or is it throughout Scottish supporters 

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

Why do you hate Levein so much and is it just yourself personally or is it throughout Scottish supporters 

f**k me sideways ! Where do I start on Levein ! ?

He just played really the most depressing, ugly, uninspiring football you can imagine. The ultimate devotee of ultra-defensive crap.

After bad results he had a habit of singling out individual players and putting the blame on them rather than himself. The actions of a coward.

The man has very thin skin. He cannot accept criticism of himself at all. There were a few occasions where he walked out on journalists or gave the fans the "evil eye".

Called up some really mediocre players (such as Ryan Stevenson, Ricky Foster, Danny Swanson - none of whom ever got capped thankfully) to squads and left other more deserving of a call up at home. He also had a habit of going down to England to watch one player in a match when he could have went to another match and seen four of five of his squad play.

Brought his beloved Ian Black on for one game purely to "get it right up" the supporters who complained he wasn't not anywhere near good enough for the internationals.

He developed an amazing strategy of "give the ball to Charlie Adam, let him blindly boot it hard as he can up the park and see what happens."

Levein was just a horrible, arrogant prick. None of us liked him. Although Strachan ultimately failed, at least he ditched a number of Levein's players, changed the tactics and tried to expand the playing style.

Fancy him as a future Ireland manager ? He's only a phone call away.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:22pm

He just played really the most depressing, ugly, uninspiring football you can imagine. The ultimate devotee of ultra-defensive crap.

After bad results he had a habit of singling out individual players and putting the blame on them rather than himself. The actions of a coward.

The man has very thin skin. He cannot accept criticism of himself at all. There were a few occasions where he walked out on journalists or gave the fans the "evil eye".

Called up some really mediocre players (such as Ryan Stevenson, Ricky Foster, Danny Swanson - none of whom ever got capped thankfully) to squads and left other more deserving of a call up at home. He also had a habit of going down to England to watch one player in a match when he could have went to another match and seen four of five of his squad play.

Brought his beloved Ian Black on for one game purely to "get it right up" the supporters who complained he wasn't not anywhere near good enough for the internationals.

He developed an amazing strategy of "give the ball to Charlie Adam, let him blindly boot it hard as he can up the park and see what happens."

Levein was just a horrible, arrogant prick. None of us liked him. Although Strachan ultimately failed, at least he ditched a number of Levein's players, changed the tactics and tried to expand the playing style.

Good to see you back posting Ersatz Thumbs Up

But Strachan managing us?! He can fook right off. 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:24pm

No thanks. We had his identical twin MON.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I'm always lurking round here IrishMUFC ! I've even given yis a good write up over on the TAMB where I post every day.

I didn't mean Gordon Strachan managing ROI, I meant Levein (the ****) !

Had fate brought Strachan and the ROI national team together it would probably have panned out almost the same as it did when he was managing us. Some good games, a few nice results, but ultimately just too reluctant to embrace new players and tactics, which cost him the job.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:35pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I'm always lurking round here IrishMUFC ! I've even given yis a good write up over on the TAMB where I post every day.

I didn't mean Gordon Strachan managing ROI, I meant Levein (the ****) !

Had fate brought Strachan and the ROI national team together it would probably have panned out almost the same as it did when he was managing us. Some good games, a few nice results, but ultimately just too reluctant to embrace new players and tactics, which cost him the job.
The TA need to get themselves a barrow load of tennis balls...does the trick nicely.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 1:19am
Just read on the TAMB, that papers later this morning will report that McLeish has been sacked.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:49am
When did McLeish get the job? Before the nations league was it? I thought they did reasonably well in the NL despite losing in Israel.
Is he basically getting sacked for one result in Kazakhstan then?
Terrible appointment from the SFA

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net