You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U17s thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 37>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:30pm
Incredible that we seem to be able to beat decent mid rank teams like Ukraine as a matter of course at underage level in recent years (I know Ukraine have other things going on these days, but still). Really consistently punching above our weight, particularly at Under 17 and Under 19, in a way that we haven't since the Brian Kerr days.

We could be looking at topping the group here.

Edited by You Tell Me - 10 Mar 2023 at 2:31pm
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:36pm
Down to ten men now with Freddie Turley sent off. Wonder if suspensions picked up in qualifiers carry over to final tournament. Be a few lads on yellows who might sit out the game against Cyprus if so.

Edited by J89 - 10 Mar 2023 at 2:37pm
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:38pm
Down to 10. Turley sent off.
Annoying because we need this 3-0 to hold. WIll be hard for Italy to win by 4 goals.
They are 2up on Cyprus which is easier to match

Cyprus just got 1 back. Hon the Cyprus!LOL

Edited by Nialler - 10 Mar 2023 at 2:40pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm
I see Kone-Doherty was subbed at half time, injured???

Great result if we can hang on to the 3 goal margin here, would give us a great chance of topping the group.
Idah Dream!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Incredible that we seem to be able to beat decent mid rank teams like Ukraine as a matter of course at underage level in recent years (I know Ukraine have other things going on these days, but still). Really consistently punching above our weight, particularly at Under 17 and Under 19, in a way that we haven't since the Brian Kerr days.

There has clearly been some good work going on behind the scenes at youth level here.

The under-19s are ranked as the 10th best side in Europe according to UEFA, and the under-17s are ranked 9th.

There are very few other teams amongst the top 10 rankings that you would not to be expect there.

Edited by Maccatacca - 10 Mar 2023 at 2:44pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:45pm

Both the U17s and U19s are ranked in the Top 10 in Europe - U19s are ranked #8, u17s are ranked #9. 

Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Exactly - we're not just winning one off games, we're doing it consistently, as shown in the rankings. Hopefully it will eventually filter through to the seniors, it would be great to be a Switzerland or a Denmark type of team, consistently overachieving at senior level. A long way off though.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Both the U17s and U19s are ranked in the Top 10 in Europe - U19s are ranked #8, u17s are ranked #9. 

Even the U21s are ranked #19, not bad when you consider how many players were lost to the senior squad over the last couple of campaigns. Certainly bodes well for the future.
Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:50pm
Its a "Crawford defensive clinic" late on here. Lots of Ukrainian Pressure by the looks of it.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:53pm

Exactly - we're not just winning one off games, we're doing it consistently, as shown in the rankings. Hopefully it will eventually filter through to the seniors, it would be great to be a Switzerland or a Denmark type of team, consistently overachieving at senior level. A long way off though.

I think it's just a bit of patience at this point, we have a really deep crop of talented young lads 17-23yo. Give it a couple of years and I think we will start to climb the rankings at senior level. I'd be very disappointed if we dont at least establish ourselves as a proper consistent 2nd seed team in Europe over the next few years. That will give us the platform to qualify for big tournaments again - this campaign, especially given the brutal draw, is probably just too early.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Its a "Crawford defensive clinic" late on here. Lots of Ukrainian Pressure by the looks of it.

All over, 3 nil, great result and gives us a real chance of topping the group now.
Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:55pm
We will have to support the LOI and academies much better to do that but very possible.

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:56pm

All over, 3 nil, great result and gives us a real chance of topping the group now.

Italy over too. that Cyprus goal is a very good goal for us.
Likely any win will see us top the group now
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 3:01pm

We will have to support the LOI and academies much better to do that but very possible.

Especially with the delay on players going to the UK until they're 18. We absolutely have to have the facilities in place to cater for them here. Our domestic underage setup is almost more important than the actual senior LoI in that respect, though obviously the better players will play in the senior league between 15 and 18 also.

I'm not a fan of 16 year olds being shipped out to Italy or wherever. Too much of a culture change at that age and it's bound to lead to some casualties.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 3:02pm

Italy over too. that Cyprus goal is a very good goal for us.
Likely any win will see us top the group now

Did Ukraine beat Cyprus the first day?

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 3:06pm

Especially with the delay on players going to the UK until they're 18. We absolutely have to have the facilities in place to cater for them here. Our domestic underage setup is almost more important than the actual senior LoI in that respect, though obviously the better players will play in the senior league between 15 and 18 also.

I'm not a fan of 16 year olds being shipped out to Italy or wherever. Too much of a culture change at that age and it's bound to lead to some casualties.

Yeah it's incumbent now on the FAI in conjunction with the clubs to put the facilities/structures in place to support these lads properly. If they do it right, there'll be the added bonus of getting decent money for young lads when they do move on. It's no harm for the better 17/18yos to be playing senior football here either - they likely wouldnt be getting that chance across the water plus the mammies will be happy if they can get their LCs done and dusted.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 3:06pm
Yes, 4-2. We're in a great position now in this group.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 3:08pm
Great to see a squad of most home based players & a great endorsement of the work being done in the LOI academies - long may it continue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 37>
  Share Topic