You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 31>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:04pm
The 4 guaranteed championship games has probably contributed to games not being sell outs, the fact that tickets to Cork v Tipp in the "1st round" of the Munster Championship are so readily available shows that. If it was straight knock out Cork or Thurles would have been close to sell outs like in the past. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:07pm
Can I just say in advance that this is the best hurling championship error - just wanted to get it out of the way early.

Edited by Borussia - 10 May 2019 at 1:22pm
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Can I just saw in advance that this is the best hurling championship error - just wanted to get it out of the way early.

ClapClapClapClap

Comedy
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:32pm
Is that what happened to galvin ffs
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Very little Tipp representation in this threadSmile 
GAA do a horrible job of marketing what is a fantastic competition. You would barely know the championship is back. Heading to Cork on Sunday, anything less than a win for Tipp and the media will be on Sheedy's back I'd say, Tipp fans are a bit like English Football fans.
The GAA's idea of marketing is gathering a few players and managers together and let the media interview them the week before the championship starts. 3 big hurling games this weekend and likely 50k in attendance between them.

I'm sure a reputable marketing firm would have a field day boosting the already big attendances. Cork v Limerick last year had 34k. They expect cork v Tipp to have 25-30k. They should be pushing these games more.

Predictions:
Dublin to beat Kilkenny 
Cork - Tipp Draw
Waterford to beat Clare

Edit :
Tickets for the stand are sold out for cork v Tipp. 

Edited by eireland - 10 May 2019 at 9:05pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:49pm
Kilkenny come out on top against Dublin

Dublin faded in the 2nd half after a great 1st half. The Dublin selector coming onto the pitch was laughable 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 11:16pm
surely he should have been ‘sent off’ for interfering with play. Never seen that before. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:27am
I haven’t seem many of Dublin’s games this year but after last nights game I don’t have much optimism. Eamon Dillon and Danny Sutcliffe struggled to get into the game. Players who played during the league were benched. David Tracey in my opinion offers nothing can’t win his own ball has no pace and is anonymous for long periods and that’s not mentioning his inconsistent free taking yet we had Paul Ryan on the park who in my opinion is a better free taker. 

Changes were made way to late why bring on two subs in injury time when changes were needed 10 minutes into the second half.

We were way to one dimensional and Kilkenny Sussed us out and we got badly burnt in the second half. On the Kennedy incident he shouldn’t and been on the pitch and should be banned

Our championship now hinges on next week and if we play as we did in the second half last night we will not beat Wexford.

Edited by SuperDub - 12 May 2019 at 1:09pm
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:27am
Great win yesterday after an OK performance, thought we were going to throw it away in the end and the ref was absolutely dreadful. Tony Kelly and Shane O'Donnell were unbelievable, roll on Tipp.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:54am
Waterford never got out of the blocks until the 60 min onwards. poor performance by us. 1st half we were very stagnant and didn't look up to the pace. poor decision making at the end of the game i think cost us. both 21 yard frees should have been put over the bar and just to get on with the game. we lost valuable time f**king about and 1 of those 21 yard frees we got nothing out of.
on Tipp next Sunday, it's a huge game. if we lose it we are out of Championship come 19th of May. i wouldn't write us off whatsoever. i think tipp were at 100% yesterday and were so for 70 odd min and Waterford were at about 60 to 70% for the first 60 min and finally hit 100% with 10 min to go so i think we will be fresher heading into next Sunday bar any injuries to key players. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:07pm
I'm not as optimistic on that as scientist, fully understand where Superdub is coming from as regards half dreading what's next. We basically played for 10 minutes and tactically, all we did was move Gleeson to FF and throw Maurice Shan up there with him. It worked to a degree, but it's basically the hurling equivalent of bringing on Robert Huth as a striker for the last few minutes and seeiing how it goes.

Beating, or even competing with Tipp (or anyone else) is going to require a bit more sophistication than that, and our new manager failed pretty badly in that yesterday. After all the positively, the home games in WP, the stated intention of making it a fortress etc, then turn in a display as sluggish as that was even more disappointing than the result in one way.

We didn't pick the right team, too slow to make changes, and seemed to have no discernible plan to get close to the Clare goal for most of the game. Defence held up ok but will get a bigger test v Tipp, so I'm not even optimistic about that aspect. Fanning made the league final sound like a blip in form, but Limerick taught us a lesson that day, and it's not one we appear to have learned anything from if yesterday was anything to go by. 

On the other games, Dubs had no answer when KK upped the physicality in the second half, and didn't make enough if their opportunities in the first when they were in top. Wexford are normally good at this time of the year before fading later, and they won't fear Parnell either, so the Dubs are up against it like ourselves. 

Cork, same as ever, great forwards, but key FB position between 2 footballers, neither of whom are good enough at the very highest level and repeatedly cough up chances. Tipp looking good, another convincing win will see them move to the top 2 or 3 of the bookies lists. Clare not all that great yesterday, but it's a rare away win and they have plenty space to improve with 2 home games to come. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:58pm
i watched the cork game at lunch time and as i said to ya privately the Cork full back line were an absolute shambles and our full back line is streets ahead of Cork's. Corks middle third game plan was to run everywhere and try and pull the tipp half back line all over the shop. the Tipp half back line stayed as structured as possible and cleaned up. i'd love to see the stats as to how many times they cleared uncontested balls. i cant see us doing that as our players are totally different. that's why i'm optimistic. Austin hit 4 points from play yesterday and i'd keep him at wing forward. i'd start Mahoney at Centre forward in a position he is comfortable with and it's a 50/50 for me either to move kearney out to the wing or start maurice shanahan there instead. 
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:21pm
Great win yesterday although how much of an impact we'll have on the championship I honesty don't know. We're no worldbeaters but theyre a very honest hard working bunch and we you have a magician like Tony Kelly you always have a slight chance. I hope I'm very very wrong but I just cant see Waterford getting over Tipp which will almost finish their season - of greater pertinence id imagine its safe to assume the barmaid in the Mansion House would give it back to you fair soft ...........your thoughts on this critical issue would be appreciated Scientist
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Great win yesterday although how much of an impact we'll have on the championship I honesty don't know. We're no worldbeaters but theyre a very honest hard working bunch and we you have a magician like Tony Kelly you always have a slight chance. I hope I'm very very wrong but I just cant see Waterford getting over Tipp which will almost finish their season - of greater pertinence id imagine its safe to assume the barmaid in the Mansion House would give it back to you fair soft ...........your thoughts on this critical issue would be appreciated Scientist

No comment LOL
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:01pm
Gutted too lose by a point but we have ourselves too blame. Started playing far too late and made some stupid decisions both on the line and on the pitch. Subs should of been made earlier..tbf Clare had there homework done and played well didnt give us an inch. Tipp very impressive against Cork. 

Think Waterfords season will be over after next weekend unless they play the game of there lives. A resurgent Tipp in Thurles with the old guard back at the helm. Scary 

Tbh think the calendar needs to be looked at. Starting far too early, sum teams will be out by the 2nd weekend in June (some effectively before that). Its competing with the end of the soccer/rugby seasons and Communions/confirmations etc.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:48pm
Maybe Healy if Cork or Tipp were to lose out, or even the unlikely event of KK losing out in Leinster were to happen a few years in a row, the format would be changed. Nobody gives a fcuk about us or Clare or Wexford or Dublin missing out though, so I don't think that is on the cards. I'm pretty sick of excuses to be honest, we had a genuine injury crisis last year, and played all games away from home, fair enough. 

Those 2 things have been rectified this year, and if all there is to show for that is more performances like we saw yesterday, we don't deserve to get out of Munster and even if we somehow scraped into 3rd, would exit the AI as soon as we met a half decent team anyway. If the players have anything at all about them, we'll improve V Tipp, but right now I don't think that is going to be enough, it's not last years Tipp we are playing, it's this years version, and they look a hell of a lot stronger, even allowing for Cork's weaknesses. 

For whatever faults he had, you could generally see what a DMG Waterford team was trying to do, or what way they were set up. He didn't get it right every day, but I'm genuinely struggling to see anything much Fanning got right V Clare. Prunty played well, but he's there out of necessity due to Coughlan's retirement, the only big call he got right was McNulty over S Fives (who came on anyway in 1st half), almost nothing else worked. 

Most people around here don't think Hogan is IC standard, maybe a panellist at best, how is he keeping the likes of proven point getters like Ryan out of the team? Or if they don't trust Ryan to start, why not the aerial threat of Maurice or DJ Foran ? Shane Bennett works very hard, and often has a thankless task trying to get on long diagonal balls marked by 2 men, but he's having great difficulty making it stick even when he does get there first, and that was evident in the league. Mahony is a passenger in a lot of games, and it really becomes evident when he isn't on frees. That said, Bennett missed some poor ones, so maybe there is a place for Mahony as a free taker, but I don't think he contributes enough around the pitch, and hasn't really been the same player since his serious knee injury. 

Will hold judgement until Sunday evening, and hope I'm wrong about everything, but another performance like that and its game over. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 3:48am
If you win 2 and lose 2 are you not likely to qualify? 
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

If you win 2 and lose 2 are you not likely to qualify? 

Id imagine you could scrape into 3rd but if either Cork or Waterford lose next Sunday their margin for error is absolutely minimal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 31>
  Share Topic