URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56806
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 12:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: GAA Hurling 2019
Posted By: Healy52003
Subject: GAA Hurling 2019
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 10:33pm
This years Hurling discussion 

Hopefully its Waterfords year 60 years since Liam came over the bridge. From the reports we have been playing pretty well in the pre season and all is well in the camp. We also have Ballygunner playing Ballyhale Shamrocks in the AI club semi final on the 9th Feb which they will hopefully get over the line but a very very tough challenge. 1B for us in the league and the big games been away too Dublin and home too Galway but with the new system coming in for 2020 promotion is not all that important. Yet again we dont knw where we will play our home games for the championship ConfusedConfused

Going to be a very competitive year in Hurling, so many teams capabile of winning the AI on there day and it will be dog eat dog during the summer 

NHL league fixtures- https://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/2019-provisional-allianz-hurling-league-fixtures/

Replies:
Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:13pm
Let me get in my shout early for this being the best year of hurling ever !

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Its not our fault football is sh*te. Hurling Clap

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: familyguy
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:39am
ourselves v tipp is live on Eir tomorrow week I think they have deferred game aswell

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:47am
Whats the verdict on the club semi's?

Pick of them is Ballygunner v Ballyhale - Ballyhale for me. I didnt see anyone beat Na Pairsaigh in Munster so Ballygunner in bonus territory in my opinion.

St Thomas v Cushendall. Saw Thomas' twice in 2013 when they beat Loughgiel after a replay. They were class. Speed and Strength something else. I think they got relegated from Senior the year after winning an All Ireland and have come back and rebuilt. Id expect them to be strong. Cushendall I dont think have the forwards to bother them too much. Won an Antrim championship thats at a bit of a low ebb and got through Ulster probably as Slaughtneil are absolutely knackered! Cant see it being like the Sarsfields game back in 2015 - who must have been the worst side to ever emerge from Galway

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Its not our fault football is sh*te. Hurling Clap

I struggle to identify with this sentiment that is pushed about hurling being magnificent and football being awful : The truth is far more in the middle. 

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:21pm

Pick of them is Ballygunner v Ballyhale - Ballyhale for me. I didnt see anyone beat Na Pairsaigh in Munster so Ballygunner in bonus territory in my opinion.

St Thomas v Cushendall. Saw Thomas' twice in 2013 when they beat Loughgiel after a replay. They were class. Speed and Strength something else. I think they got relegated from Senior the year after winning an All Ireland and have come back and rebuilt. Id expect them to be strong. Cushendall I dont think have the forwards to bother them too much. Won an Antrim championship thats at a bit of a low ebb and got through Ulster probably as Slaughtneil are absolutely knackered! Cant see it being like the Sarsfields game back in 2015 - who must have been the worst side to ever emerge from Galway

Hoping for Ballygunner too win but I think Ballyhale will have too much for them. When BG are bad there bad and the occasion might get too them but then again nobody fancied them vs NP and they won pulling up. 

Expect St Thomas on the other side but Antrim clubs are pretty good and won't lie down 

Interesting Question- is Ballygunner vs Ballyhale one of the closest AI club semi finals by distance between areas ???. There about a 30- 40min drive away from each other 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

This years Hurling discussion 

Hopefully its Waterfords year 60 years since Liam came over the bridge. From the reports we have been playing pretty well in the pre season and all is well in the camp. We also have Ballygunner playing Ballyhale Shamrocks in the AI club semi final on the 9th Feb which they will hopefully get over the line but a very very tough challenge. 1B for us in the league and the big games been away too Dublin and home too Galway but with the new system coming in for 2020 promotion is not all that important. Yet again we dont knw where we will play our home games for the championship ConfusedConfused

Always gonna be a big problem for Waterford. One year is hardly a good sample but last season only 1 away win from 10 games in Munster. Home advantage seems to matter.

Waterford were unlucky last year, with both the injuries and format (their bye week in week 1).

As for my own crowd, Cork's league panel looks fairly simialr to last year, so probably will hit the same problem with a lack of depth. The young lads will be one year older so expecting them to be strong at the back/mids, but can't see them doing better than last year.

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:33pm

Hoping for Ballygunner too win but I think Ballyhale will have too much for them. When BG are bad there bad and the occasion might get too them but then again nobody fancied them vs NP and they won pulling up. 

Expect St Thomas on the other side but Antrim clubs are pretty good and won't lie down 

Interesting Question- is Ballygunner vs Ballyhale one of the closest AI club semi finals by distance between areas ???. There about a 30- 40min drive away from each other 

St Thomas haven't been relagated since winning the All Ireland club! On distance between teams I'm not sure about Semi-Finals but Kiltormer and Portumna both beat Birr in All Ireland club finals and they wouldn't far away from each other

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:50pm

Can't be many closer in hurling. In football, Garycastle from Westmeath against St.Brigits Roscommon a few years back is only 13k apart.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

St Thomas haven't been relagated since winning the All Ireland club! On distance between teams I'm not sure about Semi-Finals but Kiltormer and Portumna both beat Birr in All Ireland club finals and they wouldn't far away from each other

Ah. A Thomas man told me they were. Now. This was in an early house in Cork a while back and drink had been taken. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 9:40am

Ah. A Thomas man told me they were. Now. This was in an early house in Cork a while back and drink had been taken. 
Not a million miles away they were in the relagation play off but won it! Maybe too much partying from the All Ireland win

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:34pm
I see Waterford are playing their league games in Thurles, chances are champo will be played there too?
Up against ye in the first round of games Cool

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

I see Waterford are playing their league games in Thurles, chances are champo will be played there too?

we played in Thurles because of a violation of training rules during restricted winter months so we lost home advantage for that game only. all other home league games will be played in Waterford and Championship games according to the CB will be played in Walsh Park.  cant see our Munster Championship games being played in Walsh Park because our CB have no backbone but time will tell. 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

we played in Thurles because of a violation of training rules during restricted winter months so we lost home advantage for that game only. all other home league games will be played in Waterford and Championship games according to the CB will be played in Walsh Park.  cant see our Munster Championship games being played in Walsh Park because our CB have no backbone but time will tell. 

Is Walsh Park really any worse than Navan or Newbridge ? Seeing as both of those held Championship games last year.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:46pm
Walsh Park is a kip and Dungarvan is worse than Aleppo 

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:38pm
Played a hurling Game in Walsh Park last year. Very rundown.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm
Cusack Park is on par with Walsh Park?

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:11pm
Few good games in 1A this weekend 

Sat- Limerick vs Tipp 
Sun- Clare vs Kilkenny and Cork vs Wexford 

Big guns vs minnows again in 1B 
Sun- Laois vs Waterford, Carlow vs Galway and Offaly vs Dublin 

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:14am
some result for Carlow Hurling yesterday Clap

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 4:59pm
St Thomas (Galway) v Cushendall (Antrim), Parnell Park, 3pm - TG4
Ballygunner (Waterford) v Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny), Semple Stadium, 5pm - TG4

Club semi final weekend both games take place tomorrow. Hoping for a Ballygunner win but it will be quite tough. Can see Ballyhale having 2 much for them. St Thomas too win well in the other one 

All Ireland club intermediate and junior club finals take place on Sunday 10th Feb in Croke Park. Featuring a quite unique Kilkenny vs Monaghan pairing in the junior 

All-Ireland club IHC final
Charleville (Cork) v Oranmore-Maree (Galway), Croke Park, 3.15pm - TG4 online

All-Ireland club JHC final
Castleblayney (Monaghan) v Dunnamaggin (Kilkenny), Croke Park, 1.30pm - TG4 online

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 11:51pm
Really looking forward to Ballyhale v Ballygunner tomorrow (and the scientists reaction if Ballygunner win)

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:04am
Cant see the other semi final being much of a contest but it'll still be better viewing than the egg...............

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 10:35pm
Ballyhale better team I thought and seemed to move up a gear when they needed. Ballygunner played well in patches but basic stuff like not winning puck out, stupid tactics and not scoring from play much cost them. Prob a bit harah but cub hurling in Waterford is in  trouble if BG are the best. They will win the next 3 championships in Waterford I feel 

Great showing from the Antrim team in the other semi final and they will be kicking themselves tonight the chances they missed. St Thomas looked average 

Ballyhale to win easy in the final I think and King Henry as a manager will overload in the media 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Really looking forward to Ballyhale v Ballygunner tomorrow (and the scientists reaction if Ballygunner win)

great day for the parish when the gunners were beaten Clap i did have €50 on the ****s to win but their defeat made up for it 

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:47am
Cushendall put up some performance. Completely written off by the bookies but pushed St Thomas's to the very end.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:15am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Cushendall put up some performance. Completely written off by the bookies but pushed St Thomas's to the very end.

yeah was the better of the 2 games over the weekend. BH should do the business on paddy's day. 

i said at xmas that the losing county of the BG and BH match would have a huge say in the National hurling league and with BG been beaten i backed Waterford immediately after the game at 8/1. 

Put it like this, historically the 2 county all ireland club finalists don't tend to win the national league. Kilkenny were the last team to do both in 2005. with the national league semi final 1 week after paddies weekend then i think that eliminates Galway and Kilkenny chances. 
That leaves Waterford and Dublin from 1B and simply Dublin are not upto it.  In 1A Limerick and Tipp are the big players and Clare are just f**king Clare, hot and cold from day to day and i'd hope to draw them in either the Q/F or S/F. To me the pick of Waterford, Tipp and Limerick will be in the National League Final and at 8/1 Waterford were the best value. having the O'Keeffe, and the 2 Mahoney's coming back into the team over the next few weeks will be a much bonus to Waterford. 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
I stuck a few bob on them for AI. 14/1 at the minute.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:16am

I stuck a few bob on them for AI. 14/1 at the minute.

good bet i'm just holding out for the moment to see how things pan out in the League. will back them for Munster before AI at the moment as there is better value. 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:43am
Winning the league won't mean winning the AI. If you're going to back them you're as well doing it now while the odds are decent!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:57am

Winning the league won't mean winning the AI. If you're going to back them you're as well doing it now while the odds are decent!

just want to see how we shape up (conventional or sweeper etc etc.) against the big teams in the latter stages of the league before i back them for AI. 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:43pm

Could have won alright! Thought that player at the end might have taken his point and took it to Extra Time. Cushendall probably gave away too many Free's especially in the first half so their indiscipline cost them! The referee did all he could for them aswell playing an extra 2 minutes onto the 5 and i know people will say there was stoppages and that but for example in the Kerry V Dublin game there was also 5 mins of injury time and some stoppages yet the referee blew up bang on the 75. Time keeping should really be out of the referee's hands as there's too much inconsistency with referee's 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:44pm

[QUOTE=reddladd]Cushendall put up some performance. Completely written off by the bookies but pushed St Thomas's to the very end.
[/QUOTE

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:47pm
Serious stuff starts now for Waterford with all the so called 'easy' games out of the way. We travel too Dublin next Sunday which will be a tough game and then it's Galway at home on 3rd Mar before the start of the knockout stages. 

Limerick very impressive in 1A beating Kilkenny and Wexford had a great win over Tipp with Cork getting a win over Clare. Anyone can make the top 4 and the next 2 weeks will be interesting 

The League for 2020 will be as follows.

Group A
1st placed team in 1A  2019
4th placed team in 1A 2019
Winner of 1A 5th/6th playoff 2019
2nd placed team in 1B 2019
3rd placed team in 1B 2019
div 2A winner 

Group B 
2nd placed team in 1A 2019
3rd placed team in 1A 2019
Loser of the 1A 5th/6th playoff 2019.
1st placed team in 1B 2019
4th placed team in 1B 2019
Winner of the 1B relegation playoff 2019 (5th vs 6th)

Groups to run on a two year cycle (2020, 2021)

– To be redrawn for 2022 and every two years thereafter based on formula above (“5th placed team Div 1B” to change to “Relegation final winners” for this purpose).

– Relegation from 2020 onwards to be after Relegation Play-Off between bottom placed team in Group A and Group B.

– Winner of Div 2A final is promoted annually to replace relegated team

1st placed team in each group to advance directly to Allianz Hurling League Semi Final. 2nd and 3rd placed teams from each group to meet in “crossover” quarter finals (2nd 1A v 3rd 1B and 3rd 1A v 2nd 1B).

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 9:53pm
Tipp will be scratching their heads as to how they came away with nothing from today's game against Kilkenny in the end.

Badly need to beat Cork now to try and give themselves chance of staying up.

Richie Leahy's point near the end was a score I could watch all day, the skill level involved and to make it look so effortless was superb.

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Tipp will be scratching their heads as to how they came away with nothing from today's game against Kilkenny in the end.

Badly need to beat Cork now to try and give themselves chance of staying up.

Richie Leahy's point near the end was a score I could watch all day, the skill level involved and to make it look so effortless was superb.

I thought nobody gets relegated this year? But yeah f**k me how can they never beat kilkenny. 

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 9:35am
There is no relegation from Division 1A this year due to the league being restructured next year

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 10:04am
anyone attend games yesterday? any reports? results all over the place in the league. 

from our point of view yesterday was a game we thought we win on paper but looking  back on it now we are still experimenting all over the pitch and even though you think there will be a bit of a bounce back this sunday vs Galway i generally don't think there will be nor a need for it.  think it may come at Q/F stage as a defeat will result with no competitive game from the 10th of March until 12th of May. 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 4:06pm
Waterford given the green light to play their Munster round robin games in Walsh Pk

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 5:48pm
11k capacity...........should be fun

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 8:00pm
That'll be class

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 8:35pm
Delighted with the Walsh Park decision and happy I have a season ticket but not sure what way ticket allocations will work. One thing we need too do is make it a fortress and needs too start on Sunday against Galway in the league
This squad actually has am horrendous record in Walsh Park for some weird reason 

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:40am
Munster hurling ticket prices won't be increased this year. I've a feeling attendances will be big this year in the province. The GAA should really be looking at getting Clare and Waterford stadium capacity's up to 25k. A lot of people will be missing out on their home munster fixtures otherwise.

Great news for Waterford to finally get home championship matches again. Can only be good for promotion of the team in the city. 

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 3:28am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Munster hurling ticket prices won't be increased this year. I've a feeling attendances will be big this year in the province. The GAA should really be looking at getting Clare and Waterford stadium capacity's up to 25k. A lot of people will be missing out on their home munster fixtures otherwise.

Great news for Waterford to finally get home championship matches again. Can only be good for promotion of the team in the city. 

Not entirely related but an article worth a read from yesterday's Irish examiner. 
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews//sport/columnists/Jack-Anderson/the-future-of-irish-sporting-stadia-must-be-a-shared-one-907562.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews//sport/columnists/Jack-Anderson/the-future-of-irish-sporting-stadia-must-be-a-shared-one-907562.html

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 8:53am

11k capacity...........should be fun

flash the badge boy!

Dont have a season ticket but should get in somehow. 

Walsh Park is an absolute kip but it's our Kip! it's a millions times better than Dungarvan which is a special kind of Kip! one of the worst dressing rooms i have ever encountered. when we would be fixtured to play up there we would do our utmost to get it put off. makes Oriel Park and absolute palace.  

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Not entirely related but an article worth a read from yesterday's Irish examiner. 
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews//sport/columnists/Jack-Anderson/the-future-of-irish-sporting-stadia-must-be-a-shared-one-907562.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews//sport/columnists/Jack-Anderson/the-future-of-irish-sporting-stadia-must-be-a-shared-one-907562.html

Jack is a sound skin - lectured me in sports law in UL back in the day. He's developed a serious profile over the last decade or so. 

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I'd agree that in Limerick for example building a 60k stadium instead of a 50k and a 25k stadium separately would make more sense. And it would be filled for a Heineken Cup Semi final or Munster Final occasionally but would get regular use with decent attendances between the rugby and hurling.

But for ennis there's no major soccer or rugby team to share the cost. So I'd say that it would make sense for Clare GAA to own their stadium. Waterford FC don't exactly attract big crowds so would they want to share a big GAA stadium with the dimensions way too big? They'd probably rather their own smaller venue. 

In Dublin you can easily justify Croker and the Aviva. In fact you could probably justify another 40k stadium for Dublin GAA and if the Aviva held 80k you could justify that too. 

But yes in a case by case basis such as Louth GAA and Dundalk FC sharing a stadium or in a limerick it makes sense. However I'd imagine most LOI clubs would rather not be playing their matches on a GAA pitch. It's just too big and the crowd is too far back. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:59pm
weather last weekend effected 3 important Div 1 Round 5 games meaning they will be played this weekend and everything will now be pushed back a week for those teams involved 

All too play for in 1A with any of the 4 teams (and Clare) getting the last 3 QF spots and 2 going into a pontless relagation game. Wexford vs Kilkenny and Cork vs Tipp.

1B its Waterford vs Galway a game which is bacsailly just too determine finishing spots and QF opponents but Dublin who have a week off could finish top if Waterford win (Waterford will finish 2nd due too Dublin having the h2h). A Galway win will give Galway the top spot with Dublin 2nd and Waterford 3rd

Only 1 QF on this weekend with Laois vs Limerick on Sat night which should see Limerick win handy and march on too the semi finals on the weekend of 23rd/24th March 

Other QFs
A- Laois vs Limerick (Sat 9th Mar)
B- 2nd 1A vs Galway/Waterford or Dublin
C- 3rd 1A vs Galway/Waterford or Dublin 
D- 4th 1A vs Galway or Dublin

semi draw
A vs D
B vs C

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 3:36pm
Wicklow promoted into 2A, great achievement for the county.

Offaly relegated into 2A, never thought I'd see us and Offaly in same division. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 7:11pm
Do they ever cut the grass in Walsh Park. 

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
Despite the scorline Laois performed well against the AI champions on Saturday but the wides were desperate. Defensively Laois did a great job but when you're clearing hard won ball up the field you want to see some kind of reward for your efforts.
Limerick are a serious outift though, big, strong and very well conditioned. Their movement and support play is as good as i've seen. Considering they started with only 6 or 7 of the AI winning team shows the strength in depth of the panel.
They were never in any danger so didn't have to go at full throttle but Laois did stay competing and physically they stood up to Limerick.

Following on from a very good performance against Dublin the league was decent enough and a few new faces introduced to the team. Defensively we've been good and it looks like the first 7 positions are settled on bar any injuries. Of the top 8 there's probably only 3 or 4 guaranteed starters so jersey's still up for grabs.
Rumours that Roddy King might be back in May (and we need more scoring forwards). Positively looking forward to championship now with the first game against Offaly who despite their woes can never be underestimated by Laois.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 6:20pm
So...will Michael Duignan be sacked by RTE? He's right but Cusack didn't mention his name.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:20am

I've been a regular critic of our beloved CB (so has everyone else really), but this is one thing they have got more or less right, the proposed 16K capacity is plenty big. Cork are the only team that bring a large away crowd to every game that would test capacity, Tipp have a decent away crowd to a slightly lesser extent and at the moment, Limerick, but I wouldn't be betting much on their current level of support holding up over a decade- that is very much up a few levels due to the AI winning bounce at the minute. 

Essentially, we would be building a stadium for Cork to fill every second year. Our own support is vastly over-estimated, especially by those in this county- there was only 3371 there on Sunday V Galway in admittedly poor conditions, but that's about the scale of the hardcore support. Generally, this country has an edifice complex, more stadiums, and bigger ones, seems to be the answer to everything when its pretty clear that in most cases, they aren't needed. 

In this case, the money isn't there for a new stadium, either in the GAA centrally, the local GAA, the Government, and planning restrictions have seen to it that WP can't be made a whole lot bigger, but aside from a few fairweather fans missing a big game and away fans not being able to get all the tickets they require, it'll generally suit our own needs perfectly when completed. I'd say it's much the same story in Clare, though I'm not best placed to comment on that. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:20am

Do they ever cut the grass in Walsh Park. 

Yes. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:30am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

So...will Michael Duignan be sacked by RTE? He's right but Cusack didn't mention his name.

With any luck, and I'll be going out on the beer if it happens. Regular whinger about various styles of play that (in particular) WD, Wex & Clare have adopted in recent years, but with absolutely fcuk all tactical analysis to back up his opinion, just spends his time whinging that he doesn't like modern hurling. Nobody says he has to like or dislike anything, he's entitled to his opinion, but he's being paid to analyse the game, and falls miserably short in this in my opinion- my views on him here would have been expressed on many hurling threads for a good few years now. 

One of those boring ***ts that wants every AI final to be KK V Tipp (or Cork if Tipp don't make it) with KK winning, and you would suspect he thinks other counties should just go out & lie down every time they play one of the 'traditional' teams, much like his own county has done for the last decade. 

Find him a fcukin insufferable Kilkenny cheerleader, only I witnessed him playing for Offaly, I'd have forgotten where he's actually from, he loves KK that much. Don't think he will be sacked, which is a pity. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 2:47am
In fairness to Waterford it's hard to judge their support until we see them at home. They'll never bring their full championship contingent to an away match.

I remember meath for years only played league matches at home and come championship they brought a few thousand to Croker or whatever neutral ground. You'd t think they only had 5k fans but then they played Kildare and Galway in navan and there was 19k at each fixture and navan is a kip. 

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:42am

In fairness to Waterford it's hard to judge their support until we see them at home. They'll never bring their full championship contingent to an away match.

I remember meath for years only played league matches at home and come championship they brought a few thousand to Croker or whatever neutral ground. You'd t think they only had 5k fans but then they played Kildare and Galway in navan and there was 19k at each fixture and navan is a kip. 

That's a fair enough point eireland, and I have no doubt we will sell out both our home games V Clare & Limerick this year. Our core support is still utter sh*te though, there were 600 less people at today's QF V Clare than there were at the Galway game last week, and the weather wasn't anything as inclement. Aye, I know tis a long weekend, and the Egg was on the TV and so on, but we will bring much the same to Thurles next Sunday, more or less the same individuals who were there today & last Sunday & support the team through thick & thin. 

Game itself, no Waterford fan is under the illusion that it will be any sort of similar game between us & Clare come May 12th, but as a stand alone league game, we'll take that result thanks very much. Scored highly, and had a ridiculous 2 (two !!) wides in 74 minutes of very windy conditions that made it difficult for free takers, not that it seemed to matter to Stephen Bennett, who nailed all 16 frees he got from a variety of distances & angles. Ref Sean Cleere awarded a lot of soft frees against Clare, I thought he was harsh enough on them in 2nd half, and to be honest, I'd be cracking up if some of those frees were awarded against us. 

Great win for Dubs in Thurles v Tipp, and Cork overcame KK in Nowlan for the first senior game in 32 years, even if the outcome was only to decide which team went to 1A & 1B. Only one team (Galway, not quite sure of year) have finished bottom of 1A in last 20 years and subsequently gone on to hurl past July, so even allowing for the new league format, no relegation and the absence of the Ballyhale lads (aka TJ) KK have it all to do this year, especially with a resurgent Dublin and a Wexford who don't seem to have dropped off that much in the traditional 'getting sick of Davy' 3rd year, today's result aside. 

-------------

Posted By: SuperDub
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:42am
Delighted for the hurlers to get a win over Tipp yesterday and while it’s only the league it will give the youngsters belief that we can compete with the top teams.

Gutted that I missed the game due to fixtures overlapping  but I was talking to a pal who was at the game and he said Tipp had over 20 wides while Dublin only had 6. Cian Boland had a very good game but is prone to picking up injuries. There was only 3,300 at the game.  A semi final against Limerick awaits us next week which I assume will be in Thurles.  

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:16pm
Great win for Waterford yesterday but it's still only the league and long way too go but more the games the better for us. Dublin had a huge win also in which not many expected. Thought Wexford would beat Galway but wasn't to be and Galway deserved it. Kilkenny wont be happy losing even though it meant feck all really. Expect Ballyhale too win today starting the King Henry is next too lead Kilkenny stuff 

Hearing double header in Thurles next Sat 23rd March for the semis but would prefer Sunday as I can get that day off. Ah well TV will have to do if its Sat

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:40pm

Great win for Waterford yesterday but it's still only the league and long way too go but more the games the better for us. Dublin had a huge win also in which not many expected. Thought Wexford would beat Galway but wasn't to be and Galway deserved it. Kilkenny wont be happy losing even though it meant feck all really. Expect Ballyhale too win today starting the King Henry is next too lead Kilkenny stuff 

Hearing double header in Thurles next Sat 23rd March for the semis but would prefer Sunday as I can get that day off. Ah well TV will have to do if its Sat

Confirmed as a Double Header in Nowlan Park next Sunday

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Where ???

That be nice 

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:54pm

Where ???

That be nice 

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/allianz-hurling-league-semi-finals/" rel="nofollow - https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/allianz-hurling-league-semi-finals/

Dublin Limerick TI at 1:30
Galway Waterford TI at 3:30 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 4:54pm

Where ???

That be nice 

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/allianz-hurling-league-semi-finals/" rel="nofollow - https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/allianz-hurling-league-semi-finals/

Dublin Limerick TI at 1:30
Galway Waterford TI at 3:30 

Very happy with that decision 

I imagine the final will he the following Sunday the same time as the division 2 football final so tg4 can show both division 1 NHL and NFL finals. Div 2 final will prob be streamed 

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 7:47pm
Should be a decent crowd in Nowlan Park especially from limerick. How will they decide who gets home advantage for the final? 

Posted By: trevwaterford
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:01pm
Final is usually played on neutral territory so doubt if there will be home advantage. They will decide after semi finals where It will be played.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by trevwaterford trevwaterford wrote:

Final is usually played on neutral territory so doubt if there will be home advantage. They will decide after semi finals where It will be played.
Did kilkenny not host Tipp in kilkenny last year? 

Posted By: trevwaterford
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:35am
Yes but Kilkenny and Tipperary had a home and away agreement for league finals. Most other counties don't so usually final could be Thurles like Waterford v Cork in 2015 and Waterford v Clare in 2016. 2017 final between Galway and Tipperary was in Limerick.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 2:43pm
Tipp have a home football game next Sunday I think, which probably ruled out Thurles for a DH. Trev is right on the home/away arrangement between KK & Tipp, those finals when they do happen, alternate between KK & Tipp for venue. Not sure if Galway have one with Limerick (doubt it) but Dublin & Waterford don't have any with anyone due to capacity restrictions of Parnell & WP. 

Galway-Limerick final -likely Thurles, though maybe Ennis might come into the discussion. Or maybe there is a home/away between those 2 counties. 
Galway-Dublin final- likely Thurles, though Portlaoise or Tullamore might also be an option. 

WD-Limerick- almost certainly Thurles.
WD-Dublin- Likely Kilkenny again.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:51pm
League semi final weekend

Limerick vs Dublin- Limerick who had last weekend off are supposably near full strenght and so far this season have been very impressive and are out too make a statement. Last weekends win against Tipp will do Dublin wonders who have found there feet under Mattie Kenny and have great potential. Think Dublin will do it again and win by 2/3 points 

Waterford vs Galway- A repeat of 2 weeks ago when Waterford came out winners after a last min goal. Both were very impressive in the QFs and both will have learnt a lot from the previous meeting. As a Waterford fan im very happy with the way were playing atm and the more games we get the better and hoping a big crowd travels up Sunday for the game. Galway are starting too find there feet and will have a big say this year. Galway by 1 in a close game

I imagine the final will be played next Sunday 31st March before or after the Div 1 Football final. Thurles prob the most likely venue 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 5:35pm

Limerick vs Dublin- Limerick who had last weekend off are supposably near full strenght and so far this season have been very impressive and are out too make a statement. Last weekends win against Tipp will do Dublin wonders who have found there feet under Mattie Kenny and have great potential. Think Dublin will do it again and win by 2/3 points 

Waterford vs Galway- A repeat of 2 weeks ago when Waterford came out winners after a last min goal. Both were very impressive in the QFs and both will have learnt a lot from the previous meeting. As a Waterford fan im very happy with the way were playing atm and the more games we get the better and hoping a big crowd travels up Sunday for the game. Galway are starting too find there feet and will have a big say this year. Galway by 1 in a close game

I imagine the final will be played next Sunday 31st March before or after the Div 1 Football final. Thurles prob the most likely venue 

Waterford Limerick final it is!

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 3:00pm
Looking like the final will be part of a double header at Croker with the Div1 Football final

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 3:39pm

Looking like the final will be part of a double header at Croker with the Div1 Football final

absolute crazy decision. be lucky to get 30 to 40k at it. Thurles all day long. 

i see Michael Duignan must have got the ride last night. he tipped Waterford to win a game 

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:40am
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Waterford Limerick final it is!

Well done Healy LOL

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 1:35pm
yeah my predictions were stop on at usual LOL

anyway NHL Division 1 final Croke Park Sun 31st March Limerick vs Waterford. Limerick didnt play partcually well vs Dublin but still got over the line and deff have more in them. As a Waterford fan i dont knw how we won the semi final but ill take it. 

Looking forward too sunday not is it only a game in Croke Park this early but a game against the current AI champions. Limerick could easily run away with it too cause Waterford have been playing 3 weekends in a row with Limerick having a break 2 weeks ago. Few good battles await Barron vs Cian Lynch, Peter Casey vs Callam Lyons (if he plays FB again) etc

Limerick by 5pts but a Waterford win would be nice

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 1:59pm

yeah my predictions were stop on at usual LOL

anyway NHL Division 1 final Croke Park Sun 31st March Limerick vs Waterford. Limerick didnt play partcually well vs Dublin but still got over the line and deff have more in them. As a Waterford fan i dont knw how we won the semi final but ill take it. 

Looking forward too sunday not is it only a game in Croke Park this early but a game against the current AI champions. Limerick could easily run away with it too cause Waterford have been playing 3 weekends in a row with Limerick having a break 2 weeks ago. Few good battles await Barron vs Cian Lynch, Peter Casey vs Callam Lyons (if he plays FB again) etc

Limerick by 5pts but a Waterford win would be nice

you heard it here first folks, back Waterford by the handicap on Sunday 

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 2:47pm
First time limerick in the final since 2006 and they haven't won it since 1997. They've won it 9 times in total. 

Waterford last in the final in 2016 and were champions in 2015. They've only won the league 3 times. 

A win on Sunday will mean a lot to either county. 

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:18pm
It will & it won't eireland, don't get me wrong- we have very few national titles & won't be turning up our noses at winning another one- while Limerick will likely see it as an opportunity to rubberstamp their current standing in the game. Having said that, we would take 3rd in Munster ahead of it (Limerick probably not, as they would likely be looking a bit higher). That's not really a reflection on the National League, its just the way the new structures have played out & the difficulty of getting out of Munster. 

Whatever the result, we're happy with the league- blooded a fair few new lads, particularly in defence, and after last years poor performances, got back to a level of consistency by beating decent Clare & Galway teams & engaging in a close game with Dublin, who I think will get out of Leinster this year & make the last 6. It's not a reliable indicator that things will all go well in championship, but between that & the fat we play 2 home games this year, we're looking like we are at least back in contention. 

-------------

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:46pm
Hon Limerick!!!

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:48pm
hup

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 1:30am
Delighted for Limerick. First league title since 97. Funny though there's no guarantee they'll get out of Munster. 

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:48am
Delighted to get the second trophy. 

We need to get the full back line sorted though. 

Mike Casey came in at half time for Condon who got scalded a few times in the first half. Sean Finn is definitely better in the corner. 

We've seven weeks til our first game in Munster so hopefully Casey is back fully fit to take #3 jersey by then. 

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:18am
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0330/1039661-limerick-supporter-john-hunt-passes-away-aged-98/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0330/1039661-limerick-supporter-john-hunt-passes-away-aged-98/

At least he died a happy man 

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:42am

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0330/1039661-limerick-supporter-john-hunt-passes-away-aged-98/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0330/1039661-limerick-supporter-john-hunt-passes-away-aged-98/

At least he died a happy man 

Class

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:57pm
Taught a lesson by Limerick yesterday, but might not be any great harm in the long run. If there was any doubt before, we now know how far away from them we are at the very least, and hopefully the management will have seen the level required to get out of Munster. 

Its the odd part of league finals, had we lost narrowly to Galway in the S/F, most would have felt we had a good league & had a good base to start the championship, lose comprehensively like we did yesterday (Limerick were probably at least another 6 points better than the scoreboard) and the doubts start coming back, particularly on the back of last year's horror show. 

It's still the league, and I'm neither writing us off, or anointing Limerick AI champions just yet, though they are unquestionably the best team around right now. Long way til June though, never mind past that. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:58am
Think the real worry about yesterday is Limerick showed that you double team Austin Gleeson, and you beat Waterford.

They're gonna have to figure out a way to avoid that happening in 4 games in Munster this year.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:56am
2017 Galway won AI from 1B
2018 Limerick from 1B
2019 Waterford??

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:20pm
[QUOTE=reddladd]
2018 Limerick from 1B
2019 Waterford??
[/QUOTE I've a feeling for Kilkenny this year

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 2:40pm

2018 Limerick from 1B
2019 Waterford??
Dublin? 

I actually feel kilkenny might not get out of Leinster this year. Dublin didn't last year but they've improved. Galway without canning could be dodgey but I feel they'll just about do enough.

For me it's between wexford and kilkenny. Based off the league I pick the cats but they've the ballyhale lads back now. Wexford v Kilkenny in the group stage is huge and could well decide who gets through. It would be unique if the top 3 in Leinster were Dublin, Galway and Wexford. Would love a Dublin v Wexford final. 

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:32pm
overall decent league campaign for Waterford and was nice too get a game in Croke Park but Limerick were a different level and never looked like losing the game. U could argue Waterfords game plan and tactics didnt work sunday and a lot of players didnt show up but Limerick were awsome and are a serious team

5 weeks til the start of the championship and Munster will be dog eat dog and anyone of the 5 teams can beat each other. Think if Waterford dont get out of Munster this year than it could be damaging for future years. Leinster will also be competive with any of 3 of Dub/Wex/Kil/Gal going through. Dublin have improved a lot and will be out too prove a point. Wexford under Davy can be impressive on there day and hard too beat in Wexford Park, kilkenny are kilkenny. Galway will miss Joe Canning but have a few weeks too prepare without him

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Think the real worry about yesterday is Limerick showed that you double team Austin Gleeson, and you beat Waterford.

They're gonna have to figure out a way to avoid that happening in 4 games in Munster this year.

There's days he does so little (involvement wise) that the opposition would be just wasting the 2nd man by double marking him, one would be more than enough. There's other days 3 men wouldn't be enough to mark him. He's had an odd league though, came into it unfit, played in defence in most games due to injuries elsewhere, and his return to the forwards on Sunday didn't yield much. There's any amount of lads around here (usually the traditionalists) that will claim his best position is as a defender, obviously, they are all entirely mad. Even on a bad day, he's still a player capable of winning us a close game on his own, and very simply, you don't win a game by playing him at half back. 

It was one of the criticisms thrown at McGrath last year that they hadn't found an ideal position for him, but here we are, a year on, and that particular debate still hasn't been concluded. Mind you, there was a similar debate about Joe Canning for nearly his entire career until about 3 years ago, so it isn't new. Though even the most insane of Galway fans never thought about playing him in the backs, which just goes to show the particular type of loons that populate Waterford. 

Generally, that's far too simplistic an analysis though, TDB & Barron are far more important players for us in general play, Limerick stifled them too on Sunday, not every team will manage that. Tactically, we were a bit all over the shop on Sunday too, as several commentators have pointed out. I can't add too much to that only hope they get it sorted in the next few weeks. The way the game is gone, there isn't a single style of play that guarantees anything, John Kiely/Limerick have it right at the moment, it's all about individual & team decision making in the moment- push up on opposition puck outs, drop off them, go long, go short & through the lines when ya have the ball- Limerick can do all of these things in the same game, that mastery of several styles is probably what it will take to win the AI, for any team. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:53pm
Start of the Championship only a week away and this could be a great one and please christ a good one for Waterford

Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 2:16pm
Last year's munster championship attendance was up 95%. With limerick the champs I wonder can it go up again?

Cork at home to Tipp should be big and the following week Limerick at home to Cork could be close to a sell out. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 2:26pm

Last year's munster championship attendance was up 95%. With limerick the champs I wonder can it go up again?

Cork at home to Tipp should be big and the following week Limerick at home to Cork could be close to a sell out. 
Wasn't there a load more games?LOL

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 2:42pm
Arnt Waterford allowed to play at home this year too?

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Wasn't there a load more games?LOL
There was LOL
New format last year. 

Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Ya, it should lead to a big increase in Waterford season ticket holders.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:40pm
Looks like a pretty pathetic Clare crowd is gonna travel Sunday week,we're plagued with injuries and are severely depleted, but still...............

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:05am

Looks like a pretty pathetic Clare crowd is gonna travel Sunday week,we're plagued with injuries and are severely depleted, but still...............

But still, we haven't won a championship game since August 2017. Is it true ye might not take up yer full allocation for it ?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:13am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Ya, it should lead to a big increase in Waterford season ticket holders.

It didn't- mainly as the status of WP as a championship venue was unconfirmed when ST's went on sale. We have less than 1000 ST holders, and to be quite honest, other than about 3,000, have an absolute sh*te core hurling support anyway. To put that into perspective, seemingly up to 2000 Mayo football fans have made the journey to NYC tomorrow, we couldn't even get that many to go to fcukin Limerick 2 hours down the road last year. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 2:03pm
To answer your question minty we’ll be lucky to take half our allocation from what I’m hearing at home....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net