You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 31>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

At least there's one team sporting the blue and white in Croke Park this year.

LOL
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 12:36pm
Predictions for Sunday:

Limerick 
Laois
Kilkenny. 9/2 in paddys

12/1 no goalscorer in the wexford/kilkenny game Clap
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 12:51pm

Great story actually. He posts on the Laois forum o gaa boards.

Bigfinal for Laois on Sunday and the whole county's gone mad. (well from Portlaoise to the west of th county it has) and trains are booked out and every club is running a bus to Croke Park. With the interest from Wexford there will be a huge crowd there.

Laois are favourites and rightly so but there could be just the puck of a ball at the end. Westmeath are decent and have the drive of last years defeat. They've played in Croke Park in recent times while most of the Laois team haven't. I hope Eddie is smart enough to get them in beforehand to walk the pitch and soak it in.

Never much between these two anyway.

We've been steady and we have the forwards to win it. Defensively as a unit we've been good and the back 6 have been much enough the same for the round robin. From midfield up there have been changes. Roddy King, Cha Dwyer and Mark Kavanagh should all start and they could be the difference.

It's great to be going to Croke Park for a final to see the Laois hurlers. 2013 minor final was the last time however it's a lot further back for the seniors.

The tiered system in hurling is the way to go and there will be plenty of young Laois hurlers that will take their inspiration from days like Sunday.

Would have went to see this game if it didn't clash with the Munster final, my other half and her dad are heading to support Kilkenny so would have went, great to see some hurling mad fans from a tier 2 county getting behind there team. I used to work with the grandsons of former Laois hurler, the Czech, so always had a soft spot for themClap  Best of Luck Sunday
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 1:20pm

KK v Wex minor final is on at 11.30am too. Long day for the hardcore supporters from those counties with senior game not until 4pm.
Expensive too unless you bring a couple of flasks and a rake of hang sandwiches. 

I had a look online for munster tickets and they're sold out everywherem. They must have been just club returns. This fixture on Sunday is probably capable of having 60k+ at it if they had the capacity and it didn't class with the leinster final. 
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 1:43pm
tickets online now for munster final 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 2:20pm
Bonnar Maher is a huge loss for Tipp but i'd still back them to beat Limerick.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

tickets online now for munster final 
Link? Friend of mine having no luck. 
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:37am
Munster final day. Lashing down tho hope it doesn’t ruin the game
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:54am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

KK v Wex minor final is on at 11.30am too. Long day for the hardcore supporters from those counties with senior game not until 4pm.
Expensive too unless you bring a couple of flasks and a rake of hang sandwiches. 

I had a look online for munster tickets and they're sold out everywherem. They must have been just club returns. This fixture on Sunday is probably capable of having 60k+ at it if they had the capacity and it didn't class with the leinster final. 

The munster final is 25 euro a pop. Hardly expensive  Confused
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:19am
Leinster is 35/40
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 3:42pm
Limerick annihilating Tipp. There is no sweeter sight in the world Clap
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:19pm
Decent few games today, and congrats to Laois, Limerick & Wexford. Didn't see the Laois Westmeath game due to the GAA hurling promotion wing's efforts at scheduling (that also involved 2 provincial minor finals starting at the ridiculous time of 11.30am) but seemed they were good value for the win anyway, I'm sure Reddladd will give us a view on it when he returns from the pub on Tuesday evening. 

Wasn't surprised by Limerick's win in the slightest, always thought they would win this one. Don't think Kiely sent out his team to lose 2 weeks ago, but the fact he didn't pick his strongest team and the visible lack of concern in the last 10/15 minutes of that game that they were losing at the time told its own story. High stakes gambling in a way, it's gone wrong for other teams in the past (Tipp V Limerick in the opener of Munster last year for example) but they managed to make it look reasonably easy. Hayes & Casey in particular absolutely superb for Limerick, and they will justifiably be hot favourites from here in. 

Delighted for Wexford, they were full value for their win, though I really don't know what KK were at in the final minutes throwing away relatively straightforward point scoring opportunities in favour of chasing a goal, cooler heads may have got the draw out of it. in a way, its very unlike them to make poor decisions on the field of play, in another way, late goals getting draws or wins is what everyone in (Cody's) KK were brought up with, maybe they thought another one would come if they tried to force it enough. 

A few words on the divisive Davy Fitz, whatever anyone thinks of him, a Munster title in 2010 with an ageing Waterford team, an AI and a national league with a young Clare team who also haven't won anything since, 2 Fitzgibbon's with LIT and now Wexford's first Leinster title in 15 years is quite a haul, especially considering he wasn't working with any of the traditional bigger hurling powers of KK/Tipp/Cork. Unlike everywhere else he has been, the Wexford public generally love him, and the players clearly haven't got fed up of him yet as they did in Clare & Waterford. 

He also provided the GAA comedy moment of the year today in the pre-game interview, while getting a dig in at the 'traditionalists'. Look it up if ya haven't seen it, but reporter asks Davy a few standard questions, then asks something like ''Has the wide open spaces of Croke Park impacted on your thinking as regards tactics, could we see something different from Wexford today ? '' Davy- ''Ah no, we're just going to send them out, play 15V15 (said that particular bit very disdainfully/sarcastically) and just see what happens''- gives camera one of his mad stares, and walks off. 

I'd be of the view that on the whole, the GAA is better for having the likes of that lunatic involved in it, and when you look at the trophy haul, there is a bit more to him than the lunacy he brings to the table. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:05am
Congrats to all the teams who won today

Limerick are scary good and all there supporters must be in dreamland. The last year they have seen there seniors lift the All Ireland, League and Munster title and there could more too come esp if they keep up the form. Tipp played well at times but the home advantage got too Limerick and they got on top quite fast. Tipp could still have a big say in the championship. 

Knew Wexford would beat Kilkenny and by god they did and will celebrate this title for a long time too come. Davy is a lunatic and brings that into his teams and his record shows it (must be near the top of list of most successful GAA managers?). The Wexford players never give up and love the Jersey. I would not be surprised if they make the AI final and ya never knw if they made it would they win it all. This is not the Kilkenny of old and it may be time for Cody too leave the post. A legendary career but maybe nows the time too leave. Hard to see them back in Croke Park this season but they love been wrote off 

Congrats too Laois also but very hard on Westmeath losing 2 finals in a row and then they have Carlow coming down for the 2020 season.

So now we enter the All Ireland stage 

Preliminary round (Sat 6th July)
Laois vs Dublin
Westmeath vs Cork 
(Hard too see Westmeath beat Cork and the Laois vs Dublin game could be close but Dublin could run away with it near the end. Tbh the Laois player's main job is done for the year imo)

QFs (13/14 July)
Tipp vs Laois/Dublin
Kilkenny vs Westmeath/Cork 

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 3:18am
Yeah without Davy hurling would be so much more boring and over the years the traditional counties would have been more dominant. He's the Robin Hood of hurling.

Obviously massive celebrations in Wexford and Limerick but I'm surprised by the big celebrations in Portlaoise and the size of the crowd they took to Croker. This Mcdonagh Cup meant a lot to them. I'd love to see them put it up to Dublin.

I think the best thing for Kilkenny is for cody to have one last year in 2020 and Eddie Brennan to take over for 2021 onwards. But as I'm not a kilkenny fan I hope cody stays another 10 years as I think he's past his sell by date. Next year I'd back Dublin to win the Leinster hurling and there's a real possibility Kilkenny won't get out of Leinster. They'll play Dublin and Galway away. Not an easy task. 

They're still a top team and I can't wait to see them take on Cork in Thurles. 
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:42am

Yeah without Davy hurling would be so much more boring and over the years the traditional counties would have been more dominant. He's the Robin Hood of hurling.

Obviously massive celebrations in Wexford and Limerick but I'm surprised by the big celebrations in Portlaoise and the size of the crowd they took to Croker. This Mcdonagh Cup meant a lot to them. I'd love to see them put it up to Dublin.

I think the best thing for Kilkenny is for cody to have one last year in 2020 and Eddie Brennan to take over for 2021 onwards. But as I'm not a kilkenny fan I hope cody stays another 10 years as I think he's past his sell by date. Next year I'd back Dublin to win the Leinster hurling and there's a real possibility Kilkenny won't get out of Leinster. They'll play Dublin and Galway away. Not an easy task. 

Thurles???
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:02am
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Thurles???
QF's are neutral, Cork/Kilkenny would be Thurlas
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Decent few games today, and congrats to Laois, Limerick & Wexford. Didn't see the Laois Westmeath game due to the GAA hurling promotion wing's efforts at scheduling (that also involved 2 provincial minor finals starting at the ridiculous time of 11.30am) but seemed they were good value for the win anyway, I'm sure Reddladd will give us a view on it when he returns from the pub on Tuesday evening. 

Wasn't surprised by Limerick's win in the slightest, always thought they would win this one. Don't think Kiely sent out his team to lose 2 weeks ago, but the fact he didn't pick his strongest team and the visible lack of concern in the last 10/15 minutes of that game that they were losing at the time told its own story. High stakes gambling in a way, it's gone wrong for other teams in the past (Tipp V Limerick in the opener of Munster last year for example) but they managed to make it look reasonably easy. Hayes & Casey in particular absolutely superb for Limerick, and they will justifiably be hot favourites from here in. 

Delighted for Wexford, they were full value for their win, though I really don't know what KK were at in the final minutes throwing away relatively straightforward point scoring opportunities in favour of chasing a goal, cooler heads may have got the draw out of it. in a way, its very unlike them to make poor decisions on the field of play, in another way, late goals getting draws or wins is what everyone in (Cody's) KK were brought up with, maybe they thought another one would come if they tried to force it enough. 

A few words on the divisive Davy Fitz, whatever anyone thinks of him, a Munster title in 2010 with an ageing Waterford team, an AI and a national league with a young Clare team who also haven't won anything since, 2 Fitzgibbon's with LIT and now Wexford's first Leinster title in 15 years is quite a haul, especially considering he wasn't working with any of the traditional bigger hurling powers of KK/Tipp/Cork. Unlike everywhere else he has been, the Wexford public generally love him, and the players clearly haven't got fed up of him yet as they did in Clare & Waterford. 

He also provided the GAA comedy moment of the year today in the pre-game interview, while getting a dig in at the 'traditionalists'. Look it up if ya haven't seen it, but reporter asks Davy a few standard questions, then asks something like ''Has the wide open spaces of Croke Park impacted on your thinking as regards tactics, could we see something different from Wexford today ? '' Davy- ''Ah no, we're just going to send them out, play 15V15 (said that particular bit very disdainfully/sarcastically) and just see what happens''- gives camera one of his mad stares, and walks off. 

I'd be of the view that on the whole, the GAA is better for having the likes of that lunatic involved in it, and when you look at the trophy haul, there is a bit more to him than the lunacy he brings to the table. 

Personally can't ever remember Cody's Kilkenny getting late goals to win or draw games as they were always way ahead generally. Maybe 2009 they got late goals against Tipp but not that late 66-67 minutes! Where will the 1/4 finals be on this year? Cork or Thurles, Tipp have played in 1/4 finals before in Thurles so that doesn't seem to be a problem so most likely there

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 01 Jul 2019 at 9:48am
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:53am
Laois kit man talking about lifting the cup in Croke Park. Nice gesture by Laois captain Paddy Purcell to call him up.

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 31>
  Share Topic