You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 31>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Rumours of a big announcement regarding Waterford hurling this week. 

Minty taking over ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

What was the point tho, OK there is a few lads doing academic courses in university's, but there is plenty doing mickey mouse courses in IT's worth a lot let less than an apprenticeship. And that's great that they can train away, but after there GAA career is over, they can be left with a degree not worth the paper it is printed on, and not every player can rely on his GAA career to get him a job.

So lads doing a trade are holding hurling back but lads doing they're level 7's in WIT are the analytical thinkers driving hurling forward? I'm sure there is a few lads playing Fitzgibbon while in the debating society, but some are just in college so they can train for the summer. Quiet a few are teachers so they can stay training for the summer

I don't just buy into this sh*t of hurlers being analytical thinkers driving coaches to innovate the game.

There were more than a few misinterpretations on various media channels as to what was said, some of them I'd suspect quite deliberate, along the lines of ''Ah sure ya have to go to college to play IC hurling now'' from some ex players. Now another few misinterpretations from yerself, though not sure if deliberate or not. 

None of what you quoted above there was ever said. That's the first point. The point DMG was making, at least as I understood it,  was that these lads are of a different generation to a lot of the analysts on TV & ex players, even recent ones, and they are more inclined to question the coaching or the reasoning for doing what they are being asked to do than previous generations.I would suspect Cody is very much the exception to this rule, nobody questions him, but nobody has a winning record like him either, so that's fair enough. 

One of the reasons they are inclined to question things is because this generation of young people tend to do that anyway (that's a societal thing and little to do with hurling). The point about being in college had fcuk all to do with what they are learning or what courses they are doing, it had to do with the environment they are in, where students are generally encouraged to think for themselves. They are also in contact with peers from other counties where the game, and various managers they have played under, would be discussed between them on a far more frequent level than say, 10 years ago. They are also playing Fitzgibbon competiton together and get to work under more different managers with different methods. 

All the top counties management styles and training methods would be known among the rest of them to a degree they haven't been before. And what's this got to do with anything ? On the field, its pretty simple, belief in whatever the game plan is. I actually took it as a bit of a veiled swipe at the current Waterford management, as it makes sense in that context. 

D Fitz has got Wexford to buy into his methods, same with Kiely & Kinnerk in Limerick. The Clare boyos were hit & miss, more miss than hit it has to be said, it's thought the Cork players don't want Meyler back. Galway players removed Anthony Cunningham, Waterford players removed Michael Ryan (and are about to remove Fanning as Healy hinted at above, though it will be done by 'resignation' or through the CB), the Dublin CB removed Cunningham just about before the remaining players he hadn't managed to shed already also disappeared, Westmeath players got rid of Joe Quaid. Not altogether sure on Tipp Ml Ryan, maybe you might have info there yourself, but it wouldn't surprise me if his departure also had some player input. 

And that's the point, these 3rd level lads, whether because of or in spite of the education & the environment they are in, are not slow to spot a manager's deficiencies, and it shows in their performances when the chips are down. The simplistic stuff being spouted by Duignan, Ken McGrath etc on TSG and a whole heap of ex players across various media wouldn't cut any ice in a modern IC dressing room, far more experienced managers, such as the ones mentioned above, were all perceived by their own players as having some weaknesses, result being none of them are in charge any more. That's really the point he was making, but obviously had to stray clear of the personal attack on anyone's opinions. 

Examiner's John Fogerty expressed it pretty simply today, said something along the lines of the modern IC player believes in the tactical stuff, a whole load of ex-players (and Joe Public) don't. It's not really much different to believing Dunphy is a superior analyst to Gary Neville on the basis that he is more entertaining. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 11:17pm
But do agree that TSG is not necessarily the best forum for that discussion, and they probably would have been better served keeping the discussion to the games in hand. 

I'd far prefer a more tactical analysis of the game, but most lads just want to see points going over the bar or an extended replay show by the looks of it, so maybe RTE should look at splitting the show & have a Monday night discussion about tactics or some such, they used do something similar with the Egg not so long ago. Everyone happy then. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 11:42pm
If Fanning goes than the right man has to be put in place but the CB are a farce and we could go cheap 

Fergal Hartley 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 11:59pm

If Fanning goes than the right man has to be put in place but the CB are a farce and we could go cheap 

Fergal Hartley 

As far as I know, he has been asked more than once in previous years, and when we were in a better state than where we are now, so I've no idea what he would be at taking it on right now. Did a decent job with Ballygunner, but you saw the Ballyhale game, it was very like earlier years of DMG's Waterford in that when they went 4 or 5 down, they never looked like getting it back at any point. Think anyone expecting something radically different under FH would be disappointed. Would prefer an outsider, but would fear we'd end up with Meyler on no other basis than he might be available and willing to do it. 

With the CB we have, getting rid of Fanning is only half the battle, and probably by far the easier part of it. Its a critical appointment as we are at the stage where we either try get back to the level of the AI semi finalists in a year or 2, or forget about it for the guts of a decade, I do think it is that stark. 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 12:04am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Fergal Hartley 

As far as I know, he has been asked more than once in previous years, and when we were in a better state than where we are now, so I've no idea what he would be at taking it on right now. Did a decent job with Ballygunner, but you saw the Ballyhale game, it was very like earlier years of DMG's Waterford in that when they went 4 or 5 down, they never looked like getting it back at any point. Think anyone expecting something radically different under FH would be disappointed. Would prefer an outsider, but would fear we'd end up with Meyler on no other basis than he might be available and willing to do it. 

With the CB we have, getting rid of Fanning is only half the battle, and probably by far the easier part of it. Its a critical appointment as we are at the stage where we either try get back to the level of the AI semi finalists in a year or 2, or forget about it for the guts of a decade, I do think it is that stark. 

DJ Carey or Henry could be options 

Derek reign II ?

The players must have someone in mind but they had last year and the CB f**ked up on that part 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 12:43am
Well deise.  You must have went to college to figure out what mcgrath meant :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:33am
Best case scenario for Deise would be Derek McGrath coming back for a year and then Davy taking over next year. After that the next best would be Shefflin taking the reigns. 
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:32am
Clap

What was the point tho, OK there is a few lads doing academic courses in university's, but there is plenty doing mickey mouse courses in IT's worth a lot let less than an apprenticeship. And that's great that they can train away, but after there GAA career is over, they can be left with a degree not worth the paper it is printed on, and not every player can rely on his GAA career to get him a job.

So lads doing a trade are holding hurling back but lads doing they're level 7's in WIT are the analytical thinkers driving hurling forward? I'm sure there is a few lads playing Fitzgibbon while in the debating society, but some are just in college so they can train for the summer. Quiet a few are teachers so they can stay training for the summer

I don't just buy into this sh*t of hurlers being analytical thinkers driving coaches to innovate the game.

There were more than a few misinterpretations on various media channels as to what was said, some of them I'd suspect quite deliberate, along the lines of ''Ah sure ya have to go to college to play IC hurling now'' from some ex players. Now another few misinterpretations from yerself, though not sure if deliberate or not. 

None of what you quoted above there was ever said. That's the first point. The point DMG was making, at least as I understood it,  was that these lads are of a different generation to a lot of the analysts on TV & ex players, even recent ones, and they are more inclined to question the coaching or the reasoning for doing what they are being asked to do than previous generations.I would suspect Cody is very much the exception to this rule, nobody questions him, but nobody has a winning record like him either, so that's fair enough. 

One of the reasons they are inclined to question things is because this generation of young people tend to do that anyway (that's a societal thing and little to do with hurling). The point about being in college had fcuk all to do with what they are learning or what courses they are doing, it had to do with the environment they are in, where students are generally encouraged to think for themselves. They are also in contact with peers from other counties where the game, and various managers they have played under, would be discussed between them on a far more frequent level than say, 10 years ago. They are also playing Fitzgibbon competiton together and get to work under more different managers with different methods. 

All the top counties management styles and training methods would be known among the rest of them to a degree they haven't been before. And what's this got to do with anything ? On the field, its pretty simple, belief in whatever the game plan is. I actually took it as a bit of a veiled swipe at the current Waterford management, as it makes sense in that context. 

D Fitz has got Wexford to buy into his methods, same with Kiely & Kinnerk in Limerick. The Clare boyos were hit & miss, more miss than hit it has to be said, it's thought the Cork players don't want Meyler back. Galway players removed Anthony Cunningham, Waterford players removed Michael Ryan (and are about to remove Fanning as Healy hinted at above, though it will be done by 'resignation' or through the CB), the Dublin CB removed Cunningham just about before the remaining players he hadn't managed to shed already also disappeared, Westmeath players got rid of Joe Quaid. Not altogether sure on Tipp Ml Ryan, maybe you might have info there yourself, but it wouldn't surprise me if his departure also had some player input. 

And that's the point, these 3rd level lads, whether because of or in spite of the education & the environment they are in, are not slow to spot a manager's deficiencies, and it shows in their performances when the chips are down. The simplistic stuff being spouted by Duignan, Ken McGrath etc on TSG and a whole heap of ex players across various media wouldn't cut any ice in a modern IC dressing room, far more experienced managers, such as the ones mentioned above, were all perceived by their own players as having some weaknesses, result being none of them are in charge any more. That's really the point he was making, but obviously had to stray clear of the personal attack on anyone's opinions. 

Examiner's John Fogerty expressed it pretty simply today, said something along the lines of the modern IC player believes in the tactical stuff, a whole load of ex-players (and Joe Public) don't. It's not really much different to believing Dunphy is a superior analyst to Gary Neville on the basis that he is more entertaining. 

ClapClap
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:23am

Edited by foggy.nelson - 31 Jul 2019 at 9:24am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 3:31pm
Myler just got the P45 from Cawk 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

could he end up in Waterford 

Done all he could really for Cork and was very unlucky not to be in an All Ireland final last year

Cody and to an extent Sheedy left of the old school 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 12:48am

could he end up in Waterford 
Done all he could really for Cork and was very unlucky not to be in an All Ireland final last year
Cody and to an extent Sheedy left of the old school 

Would say very unlikely, but if the CB were to make a similar bollix of it as they did the last time, ya couldn't rule it out entirely either. DMG won't be back either, but is meant to be being looked at by Wexford as a possible replacement for Davy if he leaves. Wexford would prefer to keep Davy though, so all that might come to nothing. No idea on whether DMG would be interested in Wexford, but it would be a fairly logical fit for them. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 11:35am
Some comments today from Ger Loughnane regarding McGrath and cusack.  I can imagine he is not a big fan of cusack to begin with.  Probably backs up cusacks poiint on the gaa podcast that it was an old boys club when he first went in.
AKA pedantic kunt
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Some comments today from Ger Loughnane regarding McGrath and cusack.  I can imagine he is not a big fan of cusack to begin with.  Probably backs up cusacks poiint on the gaa podcast that it was an old boys club when he first went in.
Definitely was an old boys club as it was in rugby and soccer with their panels. Serious changing of the guard this last 10 years in all 3. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 2:05pm
Loughnane is as relevant as Tommy Robinson 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 5:13pm
Pauric Fanning has got his P45 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 9:22pm

Pauric Fanning has got his P45 

think it was the best option tbh for everyone.  Sometimes in life things dont work out and this didnt for whatever reason. It would of been hard for him to try and guide Waterford in 2020 after this years disaster although we got a Croke Park day out it (a league final) just did not work. We were a shambles in the Championship and made a show of ourselves in our own back garden (how much the blame Fanning can take might be known as time passes) and another year of that stuff could be damagining. Player power again has been meintoned and no dobut had a part as Fanning left the role because of 'personal reasons' but we might never knw the full story.

This is a very important appointment and whoever takes it knows it well. A lot of other stuff like the county board members (Who by word on the street are farcial) and underage structures need to be looked at. The worse thing from all this is if the same 'elected panel' as last year is choosen to pick the next management team. whatever group is selcted to pick the next manager is it best they Consult with this years panel and get some ideas ?

Id pick an outsider or dare i say it Derek and Dan back 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 31>
  Share Topic