You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia-Switzerland double header

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Poll Question: When are you flying to Switzerland?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [16.36%]
34 [61.82%]
12 [21.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 4:40pm
Most places just accepted cash though didn't they? I'm just remembering the hanger bar where you'd give the waitress the money, she would go the the boss in the corner with little cash float and then you'd be lucky to see your change.

Maybe that street that was a bit fancier with MacLarens on it was easier to use cards.

Edited by darmack - 13 Aug 2019 at 4:46pm
The dark side.. And the light
Sponsored Links

corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Been charged €81 a ticket, even though applied for the €27 ones. Anyone else in the same boat?

Edit, just seen others charged that as well. Total with fee is €83.50 ffs LOL
Ring up and get a €27 ticket. Those 81 quid tickets will be on the half way line and not the proper away end.

Huge price difference too LOL
Was it Kevin Kilbane in Denmark that was trying to swap his CAT A ticket?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Been charged €81 a ticket, even though applied for the €27 ones. Anyone else in the same boat?

Edit, just seen others charged that as well. Total with fee is €83.50 ffs LOL
Ring up and get a €27 ticket. Those 81 quid tickets will be on the half way line and not the proper away end.

Huge price difference too LOL
Was it Kevin Kilbane in Denmark that was trying to swap his CAT A ticket?
Matt Holland was going around looking to swap before the game. Presume someone got him a ticket LOL
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:03pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:05pm
A few interesting nuggets in the article above. Collins and Crowley are in with a shot of making Friday's squad. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

A few interesting nuggets in the article above. Collins and Crowley are in with a shot of making Friday's squad. 
How will they travel though? That’s the big question!
Cliftonville7Ireland View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliftonville7Ireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 9:33pm
M

Edited by Cliftonville7Ireland - 02 Sep 2019 at 12:33am
Cliftonville7Ireland View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliftonville7Ireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:33am

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Already seeing a number of tickets for both of these games being flogged on facebook. 

What’s their excuse this far out 

In some cases, I saw no excuses offered.
Saw 1 person complaining last week that he didnt get tickets in the euro 2020 public ballot and now hes trying to get rid of tickets for October. All about points for some people 
 I think that this was me as I remember you calling me out on Facebook for it as you had every right to and as you shoukd have. After I put them up on Facebook I talked about it with my dad, which I had not done before I posted them and I realised I had got carried away with not getting euro 2020 tickets and I took the post down immediately. Never harvested before because I had never wanted to build up points until then. Sorry and  I hope you believe that I didn’t harvest
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Cliftonville7Ireland Cliftonville7Ireland wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Already seeing a number of tickets for both of these games being flogged on facebook. 

What’s their excuse this far out 

In some cases, I saw no excuses offered.
Saw 1 person complaining last week that he didnt get tickets in the euro 2020 public ballot and now hes trying to get rid of tickets for October. All about points for some people 
 I think that this was me as I remember you calling me out on Facebook for it as you had every right to and as you shoukd have. After I put them up on Facebook I talked about it with my dad, which I had not done before I posted them and I realised I had got carried away with not getting euro 2020 tickets and I took the post down immediately. Never harvested before because I had never wanted to build up points until then. Sorry and  I hope you believe that I didn’t harvest

Wasnt me that called you out I dont think but good post anyway.

There were plenty of examples of it anyway.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:40pm
Only 5 weeks from tomorrow until the Georgia game, this double header has crept up pretty quickly.
Was half dreading it when the Swiss scored last night
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Only 5 weeks from tomorrow until the Georgia game, this double header has crept up pretty quickly.
Was half dreading it when the Swiss scored last night
Yeah, game in Tbilisi is massive now, Would fear for us in Geneva but let's take one game at a time. Looking forward to it now. Anyone here flying with Ukrainian from Amsterdam on the Wednesday? 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:02pm
Right lads, finally gonna book in the next day or 2.

-Kutaisi to Basel for €38 at 16:40 on Monday 14th October. Leave Tbilisi about 10:30am. Arrive in Geneva about midnight.
-Including transfer, waiting and train it would cost €65 total and take 15 hours roughly.

-Tbilisi to Geneva via Istanbul 04:30 Sunday 13th. Leave Tbilisi about 2am. Arrives Geneva 13:10 direct.
-Including transfer, waiting and layover it would cost €130 total and take 13 hours roughly.

Any other options competing with these?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Right lads, finally gonna book in the next day or 2.

-Kutaisi to Basel for €38 at 16:40 on Monday 14th October. Leave Tbilisi about 10:30am. Arrive in Geneva about midnight.
-Including transfer, waiting and train it would cost €65 total and take 15 hours roughly.

-Tbilisi to Geneva via Istanbul 04:30 Sunday 13th. Leave Tbilisi about 2am. Arrives Geneva 13:10 direct.
-Including transfer, waiting and layover it would cost €130 total and take 13 hours roughly.

Any other options competing with these?

The issue with the first option is if the flight is delayed, you need a new train ticket, which is very expensive. However, given the level of saving, it might be worth it.

The last reasonable train option leaves Basel SBB at 20:59 which is 1h49m after the flight landing. The bus from the airport to the train station only takes about 13m and goes about every 7m. The bus you want is the number 50 bus. Even if your flight is delayed by a full hour and you only get the bus at 20:37, you should still (just) make the train (https://www.bvb.ch/wp-content/bvb/Dokumente/Fahrplaene/Haltestellen/2019/Linie%2050/ah_02050A_n19_b_00221.pdf). It is 6.10CHF for a one way ticket for the bus to the train station and the train is €19.90 on bahn.com if you book Freiburg to Geneve for the 20:02 departure and just ignore the Freiburg to Basel train, getting on in Basel at 20:59.

The Kutaisi option is this:
Metro to the bus station (0.5 GEL)
Tbilisi 09:30 - 13:30 Kutaisi airport 20 GEL
Kutaisi 16:40 - 19:10 Basel 123.99 GEL (144.49 GEL = €43.99 total at current rates)
Basel airport 20:00 - 20:13 Basel SBB 6.10CHF (€5.56 at current rates)
Basel 20:59 - 21:56 Bern
Bern 22:04 - 23:16 Lausanne
Lausanne 23:21 - 00:16 Geneve €19.90

So, the total cost, from the centre of Tbilisi to the centre of Geneva is €69.45. HOWEVER, if you miss the train from Basel to Bern, the cost of a new ticket is 76CHF, €69.35 at current prices. The first ticket is of no value and the total cost is basically €139. In the event one of the trains is delayed and you miss a connection, however, your ticket is still good. You just need to get it endorsed by a conductor. There is one potential saver: if the Freiburg to Basel train is itself delayed, and you are too, you could actually take advantage of that, and get a later train at no extra cost. Now, your ticket would not be endorsed, because you wouldn't be able to go to the conductor on board to get him to endorse it, but you might be able to wangle the ticket office to endorse it for you in Basel station, but don't do that until after the Freiburg train has arrived, if you do that.

The Geneva direct option is this:
Tbilisi 04:30 - 06:00 Istanbul
Istanbul 10:50 - 13:10 Geneva €113.70
Then you have free public transport from the airport to the city in Geneva, if you pick up the free ticket in the terminal. A taxi in Tbilisi to the airport should be less than a tenner. A total cost of €125 is fair for that.

So the choice is a long day of travelling: the first option is one metro, one minibus, one flight, one bus and three trains (with tight connections), travelling all day, potentially saving €50, potentially actually costing yourself an extra €15, or a taxi, two flights and a metro, where the connection in Istanbul is guaranteed by the airline. The downside is the fact is it overnight and has a hefty layover in Istanbul at really awkward time.

I'd definitely go with the Istanbul option.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 09 Sep 2019 at 6:45pm
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:02pm
Legend SD!

Managed to make a better summary of my summary!
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:19pm
I don't know if it has been mentioned on here before but I found a flight from kutaisi to mulhouse/basel airport in France on the Monday afternoon at 16:40 landing at 19:10 for €43. Its 2.5 hours drive to Geneva according to here maps. Car hire with collection in mulhouse/basel and dropping off in Geneva Airport on Tuesday afternoon is €85 on alamo.

If 2 or 3 people were travelling together it would work out fairly cheap. Only problem would be the poor designated driver would have to stay off the beer all day on Monday. 

Might be an option for some  The trains from mulhouse are a lot more expensive as far as I can see and the bus was taking over 5 hours  
Let Christy Take It.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

I don't know if it has been mentioned on here before but I found a flight from kutaisi to mulhouse/basel airport in France on the Monday afternoon at 16:40 landing at 19:10 for €43. Its 2.5 hours drive to Geneva according to here maps. Car hire with collection in mulhouse/basel and dropping off in Geneva Airport on Tuesday afternoon is €85 on alamo.

If 2 or 3 people were travelling together it would work out fairly cheap. Only problem would be the poor designated driver would have to stay off the beer all day on Monday. 

Might be an option for some  The trains from mulhouse are a lot more expensive as far as I can see and the bus was taking over 5 hours  

It is literally mentioned two posts above with a bit about how you can get public transport for €25 from Basel airport to Geneva and where to buy tickets.
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

It is literally mentioned two posts above with a bit about how you can get public transport for €25 from Basel airport to Geneva and where to buy tickets.

Sorry about that. I didn't cop it because the airport came up as mulhouse on skyscanner when I first searched  At least the car hire bit might come in handy for someone. 

Edited by tapfit2004 - 09 Sep 2019 at 9:32pm
Let Christy Take It.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:38pm
Hah, never worry! I suppose the point is that you could risk it if you wanted to travel on Monday as opposed to rushing to the airport on Saturday night / Sunday morning, after the match.

The one other thing about going for the Basel option over the Istanbul option at this stage is the fact the Basel option allows a day longer in the cheapness of Georgia as opposed to the extra expense of another night's accommodation in Geneva.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic