You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia-Switzerland double header

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Poll Question: When are you flying to Switzerland?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [16.36%]
34 [61.82%]
12 [21.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Yeah makes sense, but if there is no punishment for no shows it’s pretty pointless. Most people who will harvest tickets will have someone travelling, I doubt many applied for tickets where no one in a group was travelling?

Although at 2 quid a pop and no downside I guess they might.

The point VB is that the points were harvested for the big games where the allocation could be tight ie Swiss away - I dare say up to 600 have applied - for the double header with the intention of only going to Swiss - this will at least make them think twice 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

The fai sold the 4 tickets to person A based on him naming the other 3  recipients as X Y & Z technically he doesn’t decide who gets the tickets

Person or sc member collecting for a group of friends or other sc members I dont really see an issue with as it will speed up the process and avoid everybody having to go to the pick up spot 

BUT ALL PASSPORTS WOUKD HAVE TO BE PRODUCED 

Person A turns up with with his and recipients xyz passports and collects all 4 tickets - simple 

The same fella who has historically distributed the tickets at away games has made attempts or at least said he has himself to hack supporters phones. There is no way any fan should be obliged to show any person from that same organization their passports.

End of story

It is ID confirmation that’s it - same as you have to shown ID on multiple occasions picking up ‘stuff’
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:32am

Yeah makes sense, but if there is no punishment for no shows it’s pretty pointless. Most people who will harvest tickets will have someone travelling, I doubt many applied for tickets where no one in a group was travelling?

The point VB is that the points were harvested for the big games where the allocation could be tight ie Swiss away - I dare say up to 600 have applied - for the double header with the intention of only going to Swiss - this will at least make them think twice 

My guess is the harvesting is aimed at the finals not a tight away game.  

If we qualify then demand will be off the charts.  Our support increases exponentially at a major finals.  EG 27,000 at a crucial home qualifier v Georgia on a Monday in September, a couple of months later 120,000 applied for the Sweden game on a Monday night in Paris.  

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:48am

I mentioned this years ago. But there is nothing in the terms of sale that requires the purchaser to provide proof of identification.

Unless that changes, they don’t have the right to seek ID I am guessing. It’s explicitly stated in the terms of sale for UEFA and FIFA tournaments for example or for any matches where you collect from a Ticketmaster/other site’s collection point.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm
That's fine though. They do have to have some form of identification to make sure people don't pick tickets they haven't paid for. Same as when you get an amazon package delivered and you need to bring ID to the post office.

Like I said before, they can allow collection by one person (the head booker) on behalf of all the bookers. But unless they have all the passports or all four lads are there, only the lead booker gets loyalty points. It wasn't a term of the contract that you got loyalty points for every ticket; they can easily make that part of the collection. They can't refuse to hand over tickets that the lead booker has paid for, but they can refuse to give loyalty points to people who aren't there to collect their tickets.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:51pm

Edited by Donegalman - 21 Sep 2019 at 12:52pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:51pm
Names should be in all tickets in the future. Wales enforced this in their game away to Croatia recently I think it was and many people were admitted into the game. It’s a bit extreme surely but if it’s done once then it won’t happen again. It won’t stop all problems especially for the games like Georgia and Moldova where the tickets were €2 and €7 and people will just take the hit but the likes of Copenhagen in June there was probably as many spare going round as people over there.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

If we qualify then demand will be off the charts.  Our support increases exponentially at a major finals.  EG 27,000 at a crucial home qualifier v Georgia on a Monday in September, a couple of months later 120,000 applied for the Sweden game on a Monday night in Paris.  

Do you think 1300 Irish fans will be at this game 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 2:59pm
There was probably close, if not more than 1k there last time?? Seemed a lot more than there was in 2014 anyway but admittedly just guessing here.

Collection will never be a regular thing as the FAI simply don't care. Judging by the fact Denmark & Switzerland weren't oversubscribed suggests there may be some harvesting going on this time.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm
Think Newryrep has been reading
Too many of his Second World War books and picking up tips
AKA pedantic kunt
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Right lads, finally gonna book in the next day or 2.

-Kutaisi to Basel for €38 at 16:40 on Monday 14th October. Leave Tbilisi about 10:30am. Arrive in Geneva about midnight.
-Including transfer, waiting and train it would cost €65 total and take 15 hours roughly.

-Tbilisi to Geneva via Istanbul 04:30 Sunday 13th. Leave Tbilisi about 2am. Arrives Geneva 13:10 direct.
-Including transfer, waiting and layover it would cost €130 total and take 13 hours roughly.

Any other options competing with these?

The issue with the first option is if the flight is delayed, you need a new train ticket, which is very expensive. However, given the level of saving, it might be worth it.

The last reasonable train option leaves Basel SBB at 20:59 which is 1h49m after the flight landing. The bus from the airport to the train station only takes about 13m and goes about every 7m. The bus you want is the number 50 bus. Even if your flight is delayed by a full hour and you only get the bus at 20:37, you should still (just) make the train (https://www.bvb.ch/wp-content/bvb/Dokumente/Fahrplaene/Haltestellen/2019/Linie%2050/ah_02050A_n19_b_00221.pdf). It is 6.10CHF for a one way ticket for the bus to the train station and the train is €19.90 on bahn.com if you book Freiburg to Geneve for the 20:02 departure and just ignore the Freiburg to Basel train, getting on in Basel at 20:59.

The Kutaisi option is this:
Metro to the bus station (0.5 GEL)
Tbilisi 09:30 - 13:30 Kutaisi airport 20 GEL
Kutaisi 16:40 - 19:10 Basel 123.99 GEL (144.49 GEL = €43.99 total at current rates)
Basel airport 20:00 - 20:13 Basel SBB 6.10CHF (€5.56 at current rates)
Basel 20:59 - 21:56 Bern
Bern 22:04 - 23:16 Lausanne
Lausanne 23:21 - 00:16 Geneve €19.90

So, the total cost, from the centre of Tbilisi to the centre of Geneva is €69.45. HOWEVER, if you miss the train from Basel to Bern, the cost of a new ticket is 76CHF, €69.35 at current prices. The first ticket is of no value and the total cost is basically €139. In the event one of the trains is delayed and you miss a connection, however, your ticket is still good. You just need to get it endorsed by a conductor. There is one potential saver: if the Freiburg to Basel train is itself delayed, and you are too, you could actually take advantage of that, and get a later train at no extra cost. Now, your ticket would not be endorsed, because you wouldn't be able to go to the conductor on board to get him to endorse it, but you might be able to wangle the ticket office to endorse it for you in Basel station, but don't do that until after the Freiburg train has arrived, if you do that.

The Geneva direct option is this:
Tbilisi 04:30 - 06:00 Istanbul
Istanbul 10:50 - 13:10 Geneva €113.70
Then you have free public transport from the airport to the city in Geneva, if you pick up the free ticket in the terminal. A taxi in Tbilisi to the airport should be less than a tenner. A total cost of €125 is fair for that.

So the choice is a long day of travelling: the first option is one metro, one minibus, one flight, one bus and three trains (with tight connections), travelling all day, potentially saving €50, potentially actually costing yourself an extra €15, or a taxi, two flights and a metro, where the connection in Istanbul is guaranteed by the airline. The downside is the fact is it overnight and has a hefty layover in Istanbul at really awkward time.

I'd definitely go with the Istanbul option.

Nightmare, went to book today and the Istanbul option has shot up to €176 - lets say €185 total.

Kutaisi - Basel is only up to €58 - let's say €91 total.

So the saving has gone from €50 to €94 - leaning me towards the cheaper option.

Are these the only 2 realistic options?

Edited by flaghunter - 21 Sep 2019 at 10:08pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:09pm
I’d hold on until the day before you travel, just to make sure you pay extra.

Edited by pre Madonna - 21 Sep 2019 at 10:09pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 12:38am
Well then, maybe stay in Basel Monday night and take a train down on Tuesday morning. Assuming you have free cancellation for your accommodation in Geneva, it would make more sense. It avoids the risk of a delayed flight making you miss the train down on Monday evening.

If you book Freiburg(Bresgau) Hbf to Geneve on bahn.com for Tuesday 15 October at 09:02, then you will be booked on the 10:03 from Basel to Biel/Bienne and a simple change (platforms 4 to 5, which is cross-platform, because of Swiss efficiency - I checked the station plan here) from there to Geneva direct.

Basel SBB ........ 10:03 - 11:10 Biel/Bienne
Biel/Bienne ...... 11:16 - 12:45 Geneva

Personally that's what I'd go with now.

However, if you are absolutely intent on getting to Geneva on Monday, you could just take the risk and book the train for Monday evening. If your flight is on time and is at the gate at 19:10, you should easily make the train at 20:59 from Basel SBB.

There is an option leaving Basel at 21:59 but it involves three changes instead of one or two, the last of which involves a half hour wait between 01:00 and 01:30 and then the final 45 minute journey is by bus, arriving at 02:15. I'd probably not want to end up paying €70 for that option (which is what it will cost if you have to buy the ticket on the day). You could, of course, book *both* options for €19.90 (the 20:59 and the 21:59 as insurance) but you're totally screwed if the flight is heavily delayed. It is (sort of) insurance but if you miss the later train, you'd end up having to book a hotel for the night and a new train for the next day anyway.

So my advice would be to book the Basel flight, stay overnight, and get the train down on Tuesday morning. The 20:59 option on Monday (the one I previously outlined with changes in Bern and Lausanne) involves two changes, the first being cross-platform in Bern (3 to 4) but the second being a 5 minute connection to get from platform 1 to 8 in Lausanne. If there's a train delay, of course your ticket covers you, but it is tighter when you have two tight connections instead of just one, even in Switzerland.

There is an ibis budget hotel down the street from the train station in Basel that is only €80 for a triple room for the night. That might be the best option, depending on how many of you are travelling. At least that way, you get a proper night's sleep in a proper bed, compared to sleeping on a bench in Istanbul airport.

Book the Basel flight. Book a hotel in Basel. And book a Tuesday morning train on bahn.com from Freiburg(Bresgau) Hbf to Geneve, at whatever time works best for you (€19.90).

Edited by SuperDave84 - 22 Sep 2019 at 12:57am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 1:00am
Dave you put more time And thought and effort into other people’s holidays than many on here put into their own. 
AKA pedantic kunt
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 8:34am
Cheers SD!
I have free accom with a mate in Geneva so will probably do the flight to Basel and risk the train that night.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 11:19am

No of course not.  It as been very obvious at the competitive away games in Eastern Europe that the number of Irish fans in the stadium has been significantly less than the number of tickets sold.  
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 6:38pm

No of course not.  It as been very obvious at the competitive away games in Eastern Europe that the number of Irish fans in the stadium has been significantly less than the number of tickets sold.  

so why not try and do something about it
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 7:08pm

so why not try and do something about it
Who? I thought some on here had already tried to get it enforced?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic