You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 qualifying: Group D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: Where will Ireland finish?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.32%]
30 [36.59%]
45 [54.88%]
1 [1.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What's the point in aiming for 3rd?

We are a home nation. It's imperative that we do everything possible to finish in the top 2.

110% HB

plus a cracking trip to Bilbao if we qualify Clap

If we qualify from Group D (as opposed to via the playoffs) we have a 50% chance of the Spain game being in Dublin.  

Note I am assuming the chances of Spain not qualifying directly at 0% above. 
Sponsored Links

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

We are a home nation. It's imperative that we do everything possible to finish in the top 2.

110% HB

If we qualify from Group D (as opposed to via the playoffs) we have a 50% chance of the Spain game being in Dublin.  

thought we will play 2 games in Dublin and 1 game in Bilbao Gary. thought that was pretty much guaranteed 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:51pm

110% HB

thought we will play 2 games in Dublin and 1 game in Bilbao Gary. thought that was pretty much guaranteed 

If both qualify automatically from their qualifying  groups there's a draw to see who gets home advantage in the match between the two teams

Edited by Denis Irwin - 03 Dec 2018 at 4:52pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:51pm

110% HB

Our group, all matches will be played in Bilbao or Dublin. So 2 matches per match day. The match day where we would have to play Spain, one of us would obviously need to travel.
I think if Spain and Ireland both qualify, they would do a draw to say which team gets the 3rd game at home. For example:

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Republic of Ireland vs. Sweden

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Republic of Ireland vs. Czech

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Republic of Ireland vs. Spain

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:02pm

Clap

Clearly didn't get my point. 

I think you go out to win the group but let's be realistic as well. 

Maybe aim was the wrong word but people are expecting us to come 3rd. That's why we are 3rd seeds. 

2nd is bonus territory.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:51pm
Wait, so if two hosts sharing a group qualify but one comes through the playoffs, they automatically have to play the other host away? It's only if they both qualify automatically that there's a draw?

That sucks a bit but I see the rationale behind it.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Wait, so if two hosts sharing a group qualify but one comes through the playoffs, they automatically have to play the other host away? It's only if they both qualify automatically that there's a draw?

That sucks a bit but I see the rationale behind it.

Didn't think it mattered how you qualified. On uefa it doesn't mention anything about how you qualified:

Every qualified host would be guaranteed two home games in the group phase, but there would be no such guarantee for the knockout stage. Host nations that qualify will be automatically placed in the following groups. If both paired nations qualify, a draw will be held to determine which is at home in their direct encounter.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:01pm
"19.03 The first-named team is considered as the home team for administrative purposes. Host association teams are entitled to play a minimum of two group matches at home. If both hosts within one group qualify directly, a draw will decide which team will play three matches at home"

Seems *directly* means other than through the playoffs. The draw for the finals actually takes place before the playoffs.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:58am
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

The Swiss are massively overrated. They have a nack for catching good teams at bad times, I remember they beat Brazil a few years back in a friendly and jumped into the top 15 in the rankings and have been punching down ever since. Caught Portugal on the first match day of 2018 qualifiers too.

would that have been 2 months after Portugal winning the Euros? Sounds like an awful time to have played them so
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

The Swiss are massively overrated. They have a nack for catching good teams at bad times, I remember they beat Brazil a few years back in a friendly and jumped into the top 15 in the rankings and have been punching down ever since. Caught Portugal on the first match day of 2018 qualifiers too.

would that have been 2 months after Portugal winning the Euros? Sounds like an awful time to have played them so

Since 2004 the Swiz have qualified for 4 consecutive world cups and 3/4 European championships. They are very consistent in qualifying and go about it quietly. If anything I would say they are underrated. 

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Since 2004 the Swiz have qualified for 4 consecutive world cups and 3/4 European championships. They are very consistent in qualifying and go about it quietly. If anything I would say they are underrated. 

I’d they played Belgium another 5 times I’d doubt they’d win by more than a couple of goals and would loose more than they’d win.

If they played TE another 5 times they’d probably go unbeaten winning most (without conceding:) )

They are a much better team than us at the minute but are not world beaters. We don’t play them for almost a year and we have lots of room to improve. Not sure then have.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

110% HB

Our group, all matches will be played in Bilbao or Dublin. So 2 matches per match day. The match day where we would have to play Spain, one of us would obviously need to travel.
I think if Spain and Ireland both qualify, they would do a draw to say which team gets the 3rd game at home. For example:

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

A possibility of three of our group matches being played in Dublin? Dead
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:39am
Has it already been decided that if we both qualify, we get Spain?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Has it already been decided that if we both qualify, we get Spain?
Yes. We're in Group E with Spain
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:55am

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

No Spain and Ireland both get 2 at home and 1 away, the only draw that would be needed would be to see if we play Spain in Dublin or Bilbao. If we were to play them in Dublin, we'd have Sweden/Czech in Bilbao (in your example).

No chance we get all 3 at home.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:08am
We'll get beaten by Spain regardless so I'd prefer to play them in Bilbao. Also Bilbao is hardly a hardcore Spanish supporting city.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

We'll get beaten by Spain regardless so I'd prefer to play them in Bilbao. Also Bilbao is hardly a hardcore Spanish supporting city.
Yeah defo...I heard somewhere that this would be the last game but i'm unsure. If so they might have already qualified which would be good or needing a win in the final game against them with them needing something also would be a disaster
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

No Spain and Ireland both get 2 at home and 1 away, the only draw that would be needed would be to see if we play Spain in Dublin or Bilbao. If we were to play them in Dublin, we'd have Sweden/Czech in Bilbao (in your example).

No chance we get all 3 at home.

Ah I see. I thought the guaranteed thing and mention of a draw for the direct match between the 2 meant one team could get 3. But now I get you and it's more fair that way. 
Also think it would be good not to play all games in dublin. Probably harder to get tickets than Bilbao!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic