Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56738
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 7:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Euro 2020 qualifying: Group D
Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Subject: Euro 2020 qualifying: Group D
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
It’s basically a 4 team group and top 2 qualify.
We are guaranteed a play-off so you hope that means we can take more risks.

Our away form is actually not too bad, we are hard to beat. The main problem is beating teams at home.
We need to take 6 points from Georgia and beat one of Switzerland/Denmark at home.

Switzerland are very good in qualifying so I think it’s between us and Denmark.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:00pm
Put the mortgage on us being third.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Put the mortgage on us being turd.

FixedLOL

Ah no I am optimistic we can run whoever close for 2nd spot.  We should have points on the board early and momentum on our side. 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:45pm
I decided to be optimistic and go for 2nd I really think with a good start of hopefully 10 points from the opening 4 games leaves us in a very strong position.

If you look at the average points needed for 2nd place in a 5 team group is 13/14 points. If we get that 10 points would we be capable of getting another win and a draw from the remaining games?

I think so.

Again hopefully the Swiss can beat Denmark in their game, that would coupled with ourselves getting a point in Copenhagen would put them on 4* points and ourselves on 10 (giving that they beat Georgia at home).

Yes we'll have to play Switzerland twice, Georgia away and then Denmark at home but the Danish would have Georgia away and Switzerland at home as well as ourselves away to make up a 6 point gap

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

FixedLOL

Ah no I am optimistic we can run whoever close for 2nd spot.  We should have points on the board early and momentum on our side. 
Why the optimism? Realistically, third is our level. I'm genuinely at a loss at it. It seems to be solely based on our ability to beat Gibraltar and Georgia.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:49pm
Well I am thinking Mick probably has more ideas than "Hoof it out to the wing for McClean to chase" and "put it on Duffy's head" so with that in mind I'd be a lot more confident than before

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:52pm

FixedLOL

Why the optimism? Realistically, third is our level. I'm genuinely at a loss at it. It seems to be solely based on our ability to beat Gibraltar and Georgia.
Totally agree it will come down to our ability to beat denmark or the swiss in of our 4 games against them IF we can do this then we can talk about second because the Danes and the Swiss will.also beat the other 2 teams.
If any team is more likely to slip you against Georgia its us 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Well I am thinking Mick probably has more ideas than "Hoof it out to the wing for McClean to chase" and "put it on Duffy's head" so with that in mind I'd be a lot more confident than before

This.

I also can't see Mick going with a right back in centre midfield

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:59pm
I am sure he has too, but he can't make us a midfield! Even if he can, it will take at least 18 years for them to be ready!
I have no doubt we will improve under Mick, but improving enough in the time space involved, in international football, is almost unheard of.
Denmark strolled through two games with us asleep and we couldn't lay a glove on them. They have a brilliant defence, goalkeeper and midfield, as well as a couple of lads with pace.
Switzerland are a very well organised, technically capable side with players spread across Europe's top leagues and an unbelievable talent in Shaqiri who seems to perform better in international football.
I know people think I am just negative, but nobody seems to stop and assess the situation objectively.
We will need to beat one of Switzerland and Denmark at least once and can only afford to lose one, drawing the others. We would need a mountain of luck the size of the Matterhorn for that to happen.

-------------

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:03pm
we have plenty of midfielders . The problem is that clown o Neill didn’t play with a midfield or midfielders. That middle area of the pitch he just seemed to throw in whoever he liked as it made no odds to his game plan. My first choice midfield would be McCarthy and arter. That’s a premiership midfield. A bit of bite and passing ability. Not to mention the other options. Browne , hourihane, Whelan etc. 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

FixedLOL

Totally agree it will come down to our ability to beat denmark or the swiss in of our 4 games against them IF we can do this then we can talk about second because the Danes and the Swiss will.also beat the other 2 teams.

TBH if l look at Denmark record against Eastern Bloc countries it doens't make for good reading against them.

They have struggled to break down teams at times relying heavily on Christian Eriksen in the last few years to unlock teams.

As we showed under MON bar that one game if you are resolute then you can frustrate them and get points off them.

Would I be happy with four boring 0-0's against both games with them, If it helps us qualify then YES!!

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:15pm

I am sure he has too, but he can't make us a midfield! Even if he can, it will take at least 18 years for them to be ready!
I have no doubt we will improve under Mick, but improving enough in the time space involved, in international football, is almost unheard of.
Denmark strolled through two games with us asleep and we couldn't lay a glove on them. They have a brilliant defence, goalkeeper and midfield, as well as a couple of lads with pace.
Switzerland are a very well organised, technically capable side with players spread across Europe's top leagues and an unbelievable talent in Shaqiri who seems to perform better in international football.
I know people think I am just negative, but nobody seems to stop and assess the situation objectively.
We will need to beat one of Switzerland and Denmark at least once and can only afford to lose one, drawing the others. We would need a mountain of luck the size of the Matterhorn for that to happen.

And bar the one game were we gave Eriksen the freedom of Dublin did they actually score against us. I can't see us doing that again.

I don't buy that they have a better defense then us, equal perhaps but not better

Their defense against us in Dublin last time out was Dalsgaard, Kjaer, Jorgensen, Stryger Larsen

That is one Championship, one lower PL defender, one lower Serie A and Kjaer being the exception

Our strongest back 4 contains 3 mid/lower PL players.

Schmeichel I'll agree is better then Randolph but the only member of their back 4 I'd 100% want would be Kjaer

.....Preparing myself now for a PM backlash Wink

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

we have plenty of midfielders . The problem is that clown o Neill didn’t play with a midfield or midfielders. That middle area of the pitch he just seemed to throw in whoever he liked as it made no odds to his game plan. My first choice midfield would be McCarthy and arter. That’s a premiership midfield. A bit of bite and passing ability. Not to mention the other options. Browne , hourihane, Whelan etc. 
McCarthy hasn't played in over two years. There has also been questions about his application. His standout performances have been few and far between. There is no doubting he is capable, but I would have huge doubts about him ever showing it again for us.
I think my views on Arter's ability are known. I used to think he wasn't interested, I have since realised he just isn't very good.
Browne and Hourihane both give the ball away a lot in the Championship. I know the latter's passing statistics are quite good, but I have watched Villa's last three games and he can be very sloppy in possession and at important times. I would love the two Cork lads to be of the required standard but they are not. 
As much as I have admired and respected Whelan's contributions 
to the Irish team, the fact he is even being seriously mentioned shows our limitations in this area. We don't have players who can retain possession in key areas and at key times, we don't have anybody who can play defence splitting passes. We have limited journeymen, many with poor technique that we expect to compete with talented players playing for some of the biggest teams in Europe's best leagues.

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:25pm

FixedLOL
The Swiss and Danes have both screwed up in the past out in Georgia. However this time I think the Danes are a more likely to slip up than the quietly efficient Swiss.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

And bar the one game were we gave Eriksen the freedom of Dublin did they actually score against us. I can't see us doing that again.

I don't buy that they have a better defense then us, equal perhaps but not better

Their defense against us in Dublin last time out was Dalsgaard, Kjaer, Jorgensen, Stryger Larsen

That is one Championship, one lower PL defender, one lower Serie A and Kjaer being the exception

Schmeichel I'll agree is better then Randolph but the only member of their back 4 I'd 100% want would be Kjaer

They have a genuine top class goalkeeper and a brilliant leader in Kjaer. Two things we are lacking.
I do agree that we can be well organised and difficult to beat, but how are we going to beat anybody? Even with a decent defence, which I think we have, it is very difficult to stop good teams from scoring when they will have close to two-thirds of the ball. Denmark weren't arsed about scoring in the last two games and I would always argue, and so would Hareide, that a scoreless draw at home in a two-legged tie is a good result, especially against a side that doesn't score many. I think that if we had played Denmark in a must win game they would have won.

-------------

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:34pm
Main problem for us is that the Swiss and Danes very rarely lose qualifiers.

For us to sneak into second, we're probably going to have beat one of them at least once.

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:34pm
We could do with Switzerland beating Denmark twice, or vice versa. 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:42pm

They have a genuine top class goalkeeper and a brilliant leader in Kjaer. Two things we are lacking.
I do agree that we can be well organised and difficult to beat, but how are we going to beat anybody? Even with a decent defence, which I think we have, it is very difficult to stop good teams from scoring when they will have close to two-thirds of the ball. Denmark weren't arsed about scoring in the last two games and I would always argue, and so would Hareide, that a scoreless draw at home in a two-legged tie is a good result, especially against a side that doesn't score many. I think that if we had played Denmark in a must win game they would have won.

As I said I agree, in the last game in Aarhus Denmark weren't arsed(neither did we mind) which is why I went with the lineup against us in Dublin in Nations League only one team did look like winning that but even then the Danes only had one real chance which was the Kjaer header cleared off the line.

As I said above the Danish have struggled to break teams down who are resolute in defense. We showed that in Copenhagen and Aarhus and during the World Cup they struggled against Australia and Peru.

I really think we McCarthy has us playing with am actually game plan we can take points off them.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Or two draws maybe? We would need to take advantage of that though by beating one of them

Posted By: JamieRed
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:43pm

or two draws as long as we beat one of them at home 

-------------
Peter Schmeichel will be like a father figure to Kasper Schmeichel.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Main problem for us is that the Swiss and Danes very rarely lose qualifiers.

For us to sneak into second, we're probably going to have beat one of them at least once.

The Danes have lost more qualifiers than us in the last two campaigns

4 compared to our 3

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:47pm
The biggest question of the lot who is going to score our goals to get us a second place finish?

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:47pm
2 draws would keep both sides in the mix.

2 defeats would be a disaster for either side, and would give us a great chance of second spot. We could draw our way to qualification LOL

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm

2 draws would keep both sides in the mix.

2 defeats would be a disaster for either side, and would give us a great chance of second spot. We could draw our way to qualification LOL

We're probably going to have to beat one of them somewhere anyway, either home or way. Two wins would be fantastic and leave us in a great position (but is a huge ask of course)

Posted By: Mmurf
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:14pm
I think we'll finish third. Switzerland will be too strong for us. I think we're capable of finishing above Denmark and we have a chance if everyone comes back soon and we have a fully fit team but don't think it'll happen. 

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:14pm
I think we know how dodgy Georgia are. Do Denmark and Switzerland?

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm

As I said I agree, in the last game in Aarhus Denmark weren't arsed(neither did we mind) which is why I went with the lineup against us in Dublin in Nations League only one team did look like winning that but even then the Danes only had one real chance which was the Kjaer header cleared off the line.

As I said above the Danish have struggled to break teams down who are resolute in defense. We showed that in Copenhagen and Aarhus and during the World Cup they struggled against Australia and Peru.

I really think we McCarthy has us playing with am actually game plan we can take points off them.
We may well take a point off them, maybe two, but that is very unlikely to be of much use.

-------------

Posted By: greenscene
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Denmrk surely do from the last campaign. They struggled a little in Tblisi too if i remember correctly. 

-------------
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:17pm

The biggest question of the lot who is going to score our goals to get us a second place finish?
We need to create to score...

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

Denmrk surely do from the last campaign. They struggled a little in Tblisi too if i remember correctly. 

Denmark didn't play Georgia in the last campaign, they weren't in our group. 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:22pm

Funny how they didn't actually play Georgia in the last campaign

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm

When did Denmark last play them in a qualifier?

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm

I am after getting horrendously mixed up LOL

-------------
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:24pm

I am after getting horrendously mixed up. They did draw 2-2 with them at some point a few years back

-------------
WWW.GREENSCENE.ME

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:30pm

Edit see below post turns out they played them in 2006 qualifiers

winning once 6-1 in Denmark but then 2-2 in Tbilisi

From my research they have played them once in a friendly in 2005 in Aalborg it finished 2-1 to Denmark

They have played Switzerland twice in friendlies and lost both albeit the last one was in 1924.

Switzerland played Georgia in 2004 qualifying
 won 4-1 in Basel drew 0-0 in Tbilisi

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:34pm

2004 and it was a draw in Tbilisi. The Swiss drew with Georgia in Tbilisi in 2002.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

2004 and it was a draw in Tbilisi. The Swiss drew with Georgia in Tbilisi in 2002.

None of the current players would have been involved. 

The Danes are a fairly cocky bunch, would love to see them underestimate Georgia. 

This Swiss will be too clever for slip ups like that I fear.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:05pm
Agreed, I think the Swiss will take close to full points (dropping points to us in Dublin and Basel Wink)

Sommer is a quality keeper

Akanji, Schar,Elvedi are all very good defenders comfortable on the ball

Left back they have Ricardo Rodriquez
Mbabu at right back is a great talent (Why Newcastle let him go i'll never know), not sure if Lichtsteiner is still about but if he is he's a very good attacking option have defense.

In midfield Xhaka is a tough tackling but again capable on the ball midfielder
Zakaria like wise is a real talent
Zuber is no slouch

Shaqiri on his day can be World Class
Embolo has pace to burn
Seferovic can be hot or cold but is very capable of nicking a goal with the right service

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:12pm

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

None of the current players would have been involved

The Danes are a fairly cocky bunch, would love to see them underestimate Georgia. 

This Swiss will be too clever for slip ups like that I fear.

I'm aware of that.

My point is that they are no better now than they were back then. The way some people are talking you'd swear the Danes and Swiss are far too professional to slip up in Tbilisi. Far from it as history suggests.

We need to rid ourselves of this defeatist attitude and instead be the one's who clinically dispatch Georgia. Lets not be one's looking for favours.

-------------

Posted By: counterlock
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:15pm
The Swiss are massively overrated. They have a nack for catching good teams at bad times, I remember they beat Brazil a few years back in a friendly and jumped into the top 15 in the rankings and have been punching down ever since. Caught Portugal on the first match day of 2018 qualifiers too.

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

The Swiss are massively overrated. They have a nack for catching good teams at bad times, I remember they beat Brazil a few years back in a friendly and jumped into the top 15 in the rankings and have been punching down ever since. Caught Portugal on the first match day of 2018 qualifiers too.

Recently destroyed Belgium (world number 1) in their Nations League game

Posted By: counterlock
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:46pm

After losing to Qatar a few days earlier. They'll take points off Denmark because they love playing big teams, and drop points to Georgia

Posted By: JamieRed
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:47pm

After losing to Qatar a few days earlier.

RIGGGGGGGGGGGEDD!!! 

-------------
Peter Schmeichel will be like a father figure to Kasper Schmeichel.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:48pm

After losing to Qatar a few days earlier. They'll take points off Denmark because they love playing big teams, and drop points to Georgia
That Qatar result, in a completely meaningless game, is exactly why I think we will batter them home and away.

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:58pm

Recently despite troyed Belgium (world number 1) in their Nations League game

Roberto Martinez.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:58pm
When was the last time (if ever) the Swiss failed to qualify?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Euro 2012

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Euro 2012

Losers 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:05pm
On paper the swiss dont look anything special and never have but there like a machine. Always seem to play well enough to come thru these groups. Dosent mean we cant beat them tho.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:18pm
Look, I'm not going to get ahead of myself. As Irish fans we always believe but we are 3rd for a reason. 

Denmark and Switzerland won't be worried about us. 

The Norths performance will give us hope and us against Denmark in Copenhagen for the 1st leg of the playoff. Yes we didn't create but they were piss poor also. Destroyed in Dublin to be fair but that's another story. 

I'm hoping Mick can nullify Eriksen and we can actually create something. 

MON couldn't figure it out but we need to win our home matches. We seemed to play with fear at the Aviva and that hindered us. Maybe the lads were terrified as they had no prep and no tactics. 

We have the easiest start possible and we should have at least 9 points and a few games under out belts before we play the best team in the group. 

Luck has defo played its part. 

Aim for 3rd - expectation 
Get 2nd - bonus ground 

Just want to see us play better and have an identity as I have said previously. 
Go for it at home and have more than 5 passes in a row. 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:22pm
What's the point in aiming for 3rd?

We are a home nation. It's imperative that we do everything possible to finish in the top 2.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:27pm

FixedLOL

Exactly. Denmark and Switzerland have shown they are very competent 2nd tier European teams, and we are well crap. Those recent games against Denmark, they didn't seem to bothered competing.

I'm just hoping Mick can make us play a lot better than the 10 years of pain we have been served. And he has a year to get ready for a play off Nations League game

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:27pm

We are a home nation. It's imperative that we do everything possible to finish in the top 2.

110% HB

plus a cracking trip to Bilbao if we qualify Clap

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:32pm

We are a home nation. 

You're some republican!

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

110% HB

If we qualify from Group D (as opposed to via the playoffs) we have a 50% chance of the Spain game being in Dublin.  

Note I am assuming the chances of Spain not qualifying directly at 0% above. 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

110% HB

If we qualify from Group D (as opposed to via the playoffs) we have a 50% chance of the Spain game being in Dublin.  

thought we will play 2 games in Dublin and 1 game in Bilbao Gary. thought that was pretty much guaranteed 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:51pm

110% HB

thought we will play 2 games in Dublin and 1 game in Bilbao Gary. thought that was pretty much guaranteed 

If both qualify automatically from their qualifying  groups there's a draw to see who gets home advantage in the match between the two teams

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:51pm

110% HB

Our group, all matches will be played in Bilbao or Dublin. So 2 matches per match day. The match day where we would have to play Spain, one of us would obviously need to travel.
I think if Spain and Ireland both qualify, they would do a draw to say which team gets the 3rd game at home. For example:

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Republic of Ireland vs. Sweden

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Republic of Ireland vs. Czech

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Republic of Ireland vs. Spain

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:02pm

Clap

Clearly didn't get my point. 

I think you go out to win the group but let's be realistic as well. 

Maybe aim was the wrong word but people are expecting us to come 3rd. That's why we are 3rd seeds. 

2nd is bonus territory.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:51pm
Wait, so if two hosts sharing a group qualify but one comes through the playoffs, they automatically have to play the other host away? It's only if they both qualify automatically that there's a draw?

That sucks a bit but I see the rationale behind it.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Wait, so if two hosts sharing a group qualify but one comes through the playoffs, they automatically have to play the other host away? It's only if they both qualify automatically that there's a draw?

That sucks a bit but I see the rationale behind it.

Didn't think it mattered how you qualified. On uefa it doesn't mention anything about how you qualified:

Every qualified host would be guaranteed two home games in the group phase, but there would be no such guarantee for the knockout stage. Host nations that qualify will be automatically placed in the following groups. If both paired nations qualify, a draw will be held to determine which is at home in their direct encounter.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:01pm
"19.03 The first-named team is considered as the home team for administrative purposes. Host association teams are entitled to play a minimum of two group matches at home. If both hosts within one group qualify directly, a draw will decide which team will play three matches at home"

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/54/36/05/2543605_DOWNLOAD.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/54/36/05/2543605_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Seems *directly* means other than through the playoffs. The draw for the finals actually takes place before the playoffs.

-------------

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:58am

would that have been 2 months after Portugal winning the Euros? Sounds like an awful time to have played them so

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

would that have been 2 months after Portugal winning the Euros? Sounds like an awful time to have played them so

Since 2004 the Swiz have qualified for 4 consecutive world cups and 3/4 European championships. They are very consistent in qualifying and go about it quietly. If anything I would say they are underrated. 

-------------

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Since 2004 the Swiz have qualified for 4 consecutive world cups and 3/4 European championships. They are very consistent in qualifying and go about it quietly. If anything I would say they are underrated. 

I’d they played Belgium another 5 times I’d doubt they’d win by more than a couple of goals and would loose more than they’d win.

If they played TE another 5 times they’d probably go unbeaten winning most (without conceding:) )

They are a much better team than us at the minute but are not world beaters. We don’t play them for almost a year and we have lots of room to improve. Not sure then have.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

110% HB

Our group, all matches will be played in Bilbao or Dublin. So 2 matches per match day. The match day where we would have to play Spain, one of us would obviously need to travel.
I think if Spain and Ireland both qualify, they would do a draw to say which team gets the 3rd game at home. For example:

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

A possibility of three of our group matches being played in Dublin? Dead

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 8:39am
Has it already been decided that if we both qualify, we get Spain?

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Has it already been decided that if we both qualify, we get Spain?
Yes. We're in Group E with Spain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020#Group_E" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020#Group_E

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:55am

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

No Spain and Ireland both get 2 at home and 1 away, the only draw that would be needed would be to see if we play Spain in Dublin or Bilbao. If we were to play them in Dublin, we'd have Sweden/Czech in Bilbao (in your example).

No chance we get all 3 at home.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:08am
We'll get beaten by Spain regardless so I'd prefer to play them in Bilbao. Also Bilbao is hardly a hardcore Spanish supporting city.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

We'll get beaten by Spain regardless so I'd prefer to play them in Bilbao. Also Bilbao is hardly a hardcore Spanish supporting city.
Yeah defo...I heard somewhere that this would be the last game but i'm unsure. If so they might have already qualified which would be good or needing a win in the final game against them with them needing something also would be a disaster

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

No Spain and Ireland both get 2 at home and 1 away, the only draw that would be needed would be to see if we play Spain in Dublin or Bilbao. If we were to play them in Dublin, we'd have Sweden/Czech in Bilbao (in your example).

Ah I see. I thought the guaranteed thing and mention of a draw for the direct match between the 2 meant one team could get 3. But now I get you and it's more fair that way. 
Also think it would be good not to play all games in dublin. Probably harder to get tickets than Bilbao!

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:56pm
Glasgow if we win group E, Copenhagen if 2nd and either Bilbao or Budapest id we're one of the top 3rd Clap....clearly winning the whole tournament

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Glasgow if we win group E, Copenhagen if 2nd and either Bilbao or Budapest id we're one of the top 3rd Clap....clearly winning the whole tournament

No and no

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Spain

Czech Republic

Sweden

Republic of Ireland

Match Day 1

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Czech

Dublin:

Match Day 2

Bilbao:

Spain vs. Sweden

Dublin:

Match Day 3

Bilbao:

Czech vs. Sweden

Dublin:

But both Dublin and Bilbao have 3 games each , so I don't understand how it would work without either us or Spain getting all 3 group games at home?

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:15pm
O.K. so what I am getting from this all is that if we manage to qualify we will be playing Spain, Sweden & Czech Republic in our group. Is this correct? 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:25pm

But both Dublin and Bilbao have 3 games each , so I don't understand how it would work without either us or Spain getting all 3 group games at home?[/QUOTE]

Yes the rule states a minimum of 2 games one country may play at home, you may play 3 depending on a draw done by UEFA

Like the other poster states

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

O.K. so what I am getting from this all is that if we manage to qualify we will be playing Spain, Sweden & Czech Republic in our group. Is this correct? 

No, Czech Republic and Sweden were used as an example

We would have Spain though as we are grouped with Bilbao

Each Group has two venues

Group A: Rome (Italy) and Baku (Azerbaijan)
    Group B: Saint Petersburg (Russia) and Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Group C: Amsterdam (Netherlands) and Bucharest (Romania)
    Group D: London (England) and Glasgow (Scotland)
    Group E: Bilbao (Spain) and Dublin (Republic of Ireland)
    Group F: Munich (Germany) and Budapest (Hungary)

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:38pm

Ok yeah just tried to work out if there was any way 2 teams could both get at least 2 games and only 2 games at home but doesn't seem to be a combination of that.
So yes think it's one team will get 2 at home but then the other will get 3

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:41pm

Ok yeah just tried to work out if there was any way 2 teams could both get at least 2 games and only 2 games at home but doesn't seem to be a combination of that.

There is no thinking about it that's what will happen

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:53pm

There is no thinking about it that's what will happen

Yes never mind

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:54pm
Do the below fixtures not give ourselves and Spain 2 home games each?

IrelandCzech RepDublin
Ireland SwedenDublin
SwedenSpainDublin
SpainIrelandBilbao
SwedenCzech RepBilbao
SpainCzech RepBilbao

Posted By: Adobolo
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:13pm
There seems to be no great clarity on it except we are guaranteed two home games and in the same group as Spain if we both qualify. But no where does it state that if we are drawn at home against Spain that we will have three home games and this is the confusing part, why make us travel to Bilbao to play when we play Spain in Dublin. So I recon if we draw Spain at home we will have three games in the Aviva.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:14pm
That does work, theoretically. However, it does not work on the basis that games are held basically simultaneously, or within a day of one another, with one in each city. So, for example, you can't have Spain v Ireland *and* Sweden v Czech Republic in Bilbao, or Ireland v Czech Republic and Sweden v Spain in Dublin.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:24pm
it does work
Round1
Sweden vs Ireland Dublin
Spain vs Czech Bilbao

Round2
Czech vs Ireland Dublin
Spain vs sweden Bilbao 

Round 3
Spain vs Ireland Dublin
Czech vs sweden Bilbao 

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:34pm
Eh, Ireland are in Dublin three times there?

There is no way to make it work where:
Spain are at home 2/3 but not 3/3
Ireland are at home 2/3 but not 3/3
Neither stadium is used twice for one pair of fixtures

The maths simply do not work for that. Ever. It is always the case that one team plays three matches in one venue and the other three teams play two matches in the other venue and the third match in the first venue against the first team.

Look at Euro 2012: Spain played all their matches in Gdansk and we played two in Poznan, one in Gdansk. Same as Italy, same as Croatia. If we had played Spain in Poznan and Italy and Croatia had played each other in Gdansk, then the other three teams would have played 2/3 in Gdansk and we'd have had three in Poznan. It simply can't work any other way where you have two stadiums, three match days and one game per matchday in each stadium.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:54pm
if you read the UEFA draw on venues for euro 2020 it states that every host is guaranteed two home games but if you are drawn home against another host nation you could have three home games. So like I said Ireland would play Sweden Czech and Spain at home, Spain would play Sweden and Czech at home, that would be the mandate complete. what's the point of have Spain play against Czech in Dublin the same day Ireland play Sweden in Bolboa.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:57pm
there are three group games scheduled so why can't Ireland play in all three of them?

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

the point of have Spain play against Czech in Dublin the same day Ireland play Sweden in Bolboa.
You're going down a rocky road there...

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 4:12pm

the point of have Spain play against Czech in Dublin the same day Ireland play Sweden in Bolboa.
You're going down a rocky road there...

LOL

Posted By: Joybhoy
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 5:36pm

if you read the UEFA draw on venues for euro 2020 it states that every host is guaranteed two home games but if you are drawn home against another host nation you could have three home games. So like I said Ireland would play Sweden Czech and Spain at home, Spain would play Sweden and Czech at home, that would be the mandate complete. what's the point of have Spain play against Czech in Dublin the same day Ireland play Sweden in Bolboa.

We would be punching above our weight if we beat Sweden

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm
Where did anyone suggest we would?
Anyway, we would be punching well above our weight if we quality.

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:09pm
We have a minimum of 2 home game sif we qualify. If Spain and ourselves qualify via this phase then we draw lots for the 3rd home fixture.

However if we qualify via the 2020 playoffs we play Spain in Bilbao.  If 2 hosts end up in the same playoffs UEFA have allowed for a redraw of the finals.  

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:27pm

We have a minimum of 2 home game sif we qualify. If Spain and ourselves qualify via this phase then we draw lots for the 3rd home fixture.

However if we qualify via the 2020 playoffs we play Spain in Bilbao.  If 2 hosts end up in the same playoffs UEFA have allowed for a redraw of the finals.  
That's it clarified, thank you.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:29pm

We have always been very good at drawing lots.

-------------

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 12:05pm
So the Swiss/Denmark/Georgia and Gibraltar are guaranteed a playoff spot if they don't get through the group stage ??

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 1:24pm
ffs

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

So the Swiss/Denmark/Georgia and Gibraltar are guaranteed a playoff spot if they don't get through the group stage ??

Not Gibralter

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:03pm
confirmed Gibraltar's home games will be in the Victoria Stadium in Gibraltar

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:05pm
http://footballgibraltar.com/2019/01/gibraltars-euro-qualifiers-to-all-be-held-at-victoria-stadium/" rel="nofollow - http://footballgibraltar.com/2019/01/gibraltars-euro-qualifiers-to-all-be-held-at-victoria-stadium/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net