You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 66>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Milan - Geneva tickets have gone on sale for Tuesday 15 October. €39 per person but only a few tickets left at that price on the 12:23 train. www.trenitalia.com. I've booked coach 7.

The German ones for Freiburg - Geneva (and thus Basel - Geneva) won't go on sale for a couple of days yet.
Coach 7 too, seats 51,52 and 53.
I'm actually on the 08:23 train out of Milan. 

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 15 Apr 2019 at 11:49pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:11am
Thanks Dave I will get onto Milan Geneva in morning
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:02am
Booked the 8:23 train from milan morning of the game
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:32am
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but anyone know the best website to buy tickets for the train from Lyon to Geneva? Thinking of flying in and out of there. Thanks ❤️
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:42am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but anyone know the best website to buy tickets for the train from Lyon to Geneva? Thinking of flying in and out of there. Thanks ❤️

https://www.sncf.com/en is the official French Railways website and you can book on there.
I actually used www.trainline.com to book the same tickets for the Lyon game in 2016 and there wasn't really a difference in price.

ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:45am
Thank you. I appreciate it 👍🏻❤️
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:58pm
That website can be a pain.

oui.sncf is where they sell the tickets and is easier to use. I think sncf.fr will redirect you there anyway, but in case it doesn't, it's the handiest website to use.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 11:35pm
Both my partner and me on the 08.23 out of Milan Coach 7 Seats 41,42. Few cans :)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:48pm
Anyone who wants to book Basel to Geneva trains can book them from now from bahn.com. The below link should hopefully work. Remember though, like I said before, if you can't get tickets for €19.90, don't bother, and just wait until the Swiss tickets go on sale 60 days out. The below link starts from Freiburg on 13 October and includes a 48 hour stopover in Basel. There is no need to actually take the Freiburg to Basel part - it is not like a plane ticket and the second part will not be cancelled even though you will not be taking the first part. The ticket is print-at-home or even a mobile ticket if you want it.

Coming from Zurich, the tickets also start at €19.90. If you want to book from Zurich, use the link below for trains on Tuesday 15 October.

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:55pm
Booked 3 of us onto the first leg of the trip this morning (the Eurostar from London to Paris - £29.50 with staff discount Cool). Now I just have to wait on the TGV Lyria tickets to go on sale for the second leg from Paris to Geneva. Any idea when this will be Superdave? Getting conflicting info online.

I hate to say this but roll on October Beer
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Booked 3 of us onto the first leg of the trip this morning (the Eurostar from London to Paris - £29.50 with staff discount Cool). Now I just have to wait on the TGV Lyria tickets to go on sale for the second leg from Paris to Geneva. Any idea when this will be Superdave? Getting conflicting info online.

4 months out, afaik. At the minute, tickets are on sale until the start of September but that's only because SNCF tend to have summer holiday time train tickets on sale in advance of the usual ooking period (July and August, that is). I'd guess the tickets for 15 October will go on sale around 15 June, although it could be a day or two later. Set up a booking alert and it will remind you.

Make sure to allow yourself *at least* an hour to get from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon though. I know the actual RER is only about 10 minutes and the metro about 15, but the RER isn't that frequent and the metro isn't quick, plus there's a lot of walking involved too because both stations are fairly big.

There is a 12:11 Lyria and a 15:11 Lyria - depending on what time your Eurostar gets into Paris, the 12:11 might be a better option. If you have like an 8am Eurostar & you are travelling over on matchday, the 12:11 probably works best. If you are travelling on Monday, maybe the 15:11 would work better, or even the 18:11 or 19:11.

If you have a few hours, you could always go for lunch in Le Train Bleu. The prices are expensive enough and the food is only okay but the surroundings are magnificent. Like if you are travelling Monday 14 October on a 9am Eurostar, you can book the 15:11 Lyria and have lunch from 1 to 3.
jamie2905 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie2905 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:08pm
Booked on the Basel to Geneva train on 14th Oct (via DB - Freiburg)
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:10pm
A few in my house booked that too, leaving Basel at 20:59 they just have to hope there's no glitch on their flight to basel from kutasi. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:27pm
Good job. Hope you got that for €19.90. Bus 50 will do the job from Basel airport to the train station. It only takes 13 minutes to the train station.

Given flight arrival at 19:10, you should be more than fine. Even if you somehow only make the 20:37 bus, you should still make it, albeit hopefully it is nowhere near that tight. I'd say if you take off on time from Kutaisi, you'll get to the train station in Basel with at least an hour to spare.

It should be 6.10 CHF, assuming the fares don't change.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 17 Apr 2019 at 11:31pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:45pm
Yeah they got the 19:90 fares, I presume there's no need to pre book the bus. 

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 17 Apr 2019 at 11:48pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:52pm
Nope, not at all.

They won't beat the 19.90 fare, even when the Swiss tickets go on sale. Plus it's good to get it booked early.

I suppose the only potential problems now are either the flight being re-timed, or else denied regulatory approval. I wouldn't be massively worried either way though. Even if it is re-timed, earlier would be no bother, and even up to an hour later wouldn't be a disaster. And if the very worst comes to the worst, they can always get a train down the next day, albeit they'll need new accommodation and new train tickets, but it is very unlikely to come to that.
RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:53pm
Just booked the Freiburg train leaving Zurich at 17:03, sound for the tips SuperDave, saved me a few Bob Clap
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

4 months out, afaik. At the minute, tickets are on sale until the start of September but that's only because SNCF tend to have summer holiday time train tickets on sale in advance of the usual ooking period (July and August, that is). I'd guess the tickets for 15 October will go on sale around 15 June, although it could be a day or two later. Set up a booking alert and it will remind you.

Make sure to allow yourself *at least* an hour to get from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon though. I know the actual RER is only about 10 minutes and the metro about 15, but the RER isn't that frequent and the metro isn't quick, plus there's a lot of walking involved too because both stations are fairly big.

There is a 12:11 Lyria and a 15:11 Lyria - depending on what time your Eurostar gets into Paris, the 12:11 might be a better option. If you have like an 8am Eurostar & you are travelling over on matchday, the 12:11 probably works best. If you are travelling on Monday, maybe the 15:11 would work better, or even the 18:11 or 19:11.

If you have a few hours, you could always go for lunch in Le Train Bleu. The prices are expensive enough and the food is only okay but the surroundings are magnificent. Like if you are travelling Monday 14 October on a 9am Eurostar, you can book the 15:11 Lyria and have lunch from 1 to 3.

Cheers SD. We do indeed get in to Paris at 11:17 the day before the match and intend to get the 12:11 from Gare de Lyon. I'm fairly comfortable with the Paris metro system and RER. I've travelled on the RER between those stations before and with a few metro tickets stashed away in the drawer at home I reckon the 54 minutes between trains should be plenty.... I hope Big smile 

Edited by colemanY2K - 18 Apr 2019 at 10:36am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 66>
  Share Topic