You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 66>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Terry Mancicni Terry Mancicni wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Any idea when trains from zurich to geneva are available ??
They look really expensive though or i could just be looking at it wrong

sbb.ch trains will already be displayed. the fare one way will be 40€

That's with the half fare travelcard discount. Full price is about €80. You'll want to get an advance ticket.

Anyone flying to Milan should be able to get an advance ticket from there for about €40.
Sponsored Links

gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:04pm
Dublin-Gatwick-Tblisi-Vienna-Geneva for me. Just booked my flight from Geneva to Dublin with Aer Lingus. Cheap enough
Danger here, OH NO
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That's with the half fare travelcard discount. Full price is about €80. You'll want to get an advance ticket.

Anyone flying to Milan should be able to get an advance ticket from there for about €40.

What do you mean by an advance ticket? As in book as soon as they go on sale?

I've done a mock booking for a Zurich - Geneva return for the middle of April with the half-fare discount turned off (to gauge an idea of costs) and it is quoting a price of €160

Edited by belt - 20 Feb 2019 at 3:25pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

I've done a mock booking for a Zurich - Geneva return for the middle of April with the half-fare discount turned off (to gauge an idea of costs) and it is quoting a price of €160

That'd be right.

just wait till you see the price of food there!

Edited by colemanY2K - 20 Feb 2019 at 3:27pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:32pm

You can book a specific train for much less than that, that price is for an open ticket.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:51pm

Yeah SD is right. If you want to do return it as coming up at about €160
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:12pm

Yeah SD is right. If you want to do return it as coming up at about €160

Not for specific tickets. Once you click through, go to "options for outward journey" and then click "supersaver ticket". Those are train-specific, advance fares.

Using a Tuesday/Wednesday example:

Tuesday 16.04 Zurich 13:32 - 16:18 Geneva 44CHF
Wednesday 17.04 Geneva 10:42 - 13:28 Zurich 39.60CHF

Total 83.60 CHF = €74

You'll just need to book in advance and make sure you don't select half fare travelcard.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:12pm
"Stade de Genève lies squeezed in between a motorway and a set of railraod tracks. East of the stadium the area mostly consists of light industry, whereas the west is mainly residential."

Sounds lovely.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:21pm
If there is no "Supersaver" option (like Dave had above) on the particular train you want (there wasn't on the imaginary train I would be getting back to Zurich on) I think the next best option is to select the  "Saver Day Pass" option.

The Saver Day Pass gives you a whole day's unlimited travel on the Swiss transport system.

Brings the cost down to €91.

Edited by belt - 20 Feb 2019 at 4:25pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:33pm

Any London based fans could do worse than coming back by TGV & Eurostar.

Less than €100 and about six or seven hours centre to centre, with a couple of hours in Paris.

Probably still quicker and cheaper to fly but that doesn't make it better for the environment (especially when French trains are powered by nuclear generated electricity).
That sounds great actually.Clap 
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:42pm
Booked 7am Swiss Air flight to Dublin morning after game for £76, happy with that. Can't imagine having a hangover considering the price of drink in Geneva so should make it alright
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Booked 7am Swiss Air flight to Dublin morning after game for £76, happy with that. Can't imagine having a hangover considering the price of drink in Geneva so should make it alright

Offy prices are reasonable so this is a definite contender for bags of cans in the square. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:46pm
Tuesday night, expensive city. Can't see huge numbers going to this. Never been to Switzerland myself so looking forward to it
SectionFandG View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SectionFandG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:51pm
Think you can book on the german rail site from geneva to Singen Hohentwiel for 30 euro, a good few time options, stops in zurich
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:52pm
A beautiful country. Anyone traveling from Zurich I would recommend ye take the train via Lucerne and Interlaken. Simply breathtaking scenery.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Less than €100 and about six or seven hours centre to centre, with a couple of hours in Paris.

Probably still quicker and cheaper to fly but that doesn't make it better for the environment (especially when French trains are powered by nuclear generated electricity).

If you're doing that, book the eurostar as soon as it goes on sale, in a couple of months. If you book the last one of the day, it gives you the most flexibility in terms of the train you get to Paris.

The eurostar goes on sale six months out (eurostar.com) and the TGV goes on sale four months out (oui.sncf - just don't click the UK flag, click Europe (other countries)).

Eurostar starts at £49 (€56 on the euro website) and TGV-Lyria starts at €29, so the full journey starts at €85.

Geneva 14:41 - 17:49 Paris
Paris 21:13 - 22:39 London

And time for dinner in Paris - you don't need to be at Gare du Nord til 20:30.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:22pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If you're doing that, book the eurostar as soon as it goes on sale, in a couple of months. If you book the last one of the day, it gives you the most flexibility in terms of the train you get to Paris.

The eurostar goes on sale six months out (eurostar.com) and the TGV goes on sale four months out (oui.sncf - just don't click the UK flag, click Europe (other countries)).

Eurostar starts at £49 (€56 on the euro website) and TGV-Lyria starts at €29, so the full journey starts at €85.

Geneva 14:41 - 17:49 Paris
Paris 21:13 - 22:39 London

And time for dinner in Paris - you don't need to be at Gare du Nord til 20:30.
I firmly believe the less time one spends in Paris the better, but cheers for that! 
mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Confirmed for Geneva

30,000 capacity so 1,500 tickets
Ah sh*te, not another ticket panic! Ouch

Unless the FAI can strike a 10% deal with the Swiss FA as they did with the Welsh FA for the WC18 qualifiers....

We can only hope...

Grand view from the Ramada next to the stadium for anyone travelling without a ticket LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 66>
  Share Topic