You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Away - Oct 15th - Geneva - Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 66>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:28pm
Flying home via luton on the Wednesday that's me all booked for the 4 away games this year 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I firmly believe the less time one spends in Paris the better, but cheers for that! 

Hah, fair enough!

Just a word if you do go that way: allow *at least* 2 hours in Paris. You arrive in Gare de Lyon and leave Gare du Nord, which requires a metro/RER journey between the two (about 20 minutes on the metro, 12 on the RER, from recollection). Also, you have to check in for the Eurostar at least 30 minutes before departure. All that being the case and covering delays, I'd want to allow at least 90 minutes, if not 2 hours.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by mouldymould mouldymould wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Confirmed for Geneva

30,000 capacity so 1,500 tickets
Ah sh*te, not another ticket panic! Ouch

Unless the FAI can strike a 10% deal with the Swiss FA as they did with the Welsh FA for the WC18 qualifiers....

We can only hope...

Grand view from the Ramada next to the stadium for anyone travelling without a ticket LOL

LOL I would be pretty confident they'll get more than 5% in Dublin in exchange for more there 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:55pm
Sorry for bothering you Dave we’re staying in Freiburg and travelling down matchday. When would be the best time for booking the train in Advance.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:55pm
For anyone flying into basel on the Monday either from kutasi or from home I'd imagine your best bet would be to stay in frieburg on the Monday night and get the train to Geneva on the Tuesday morning. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by mouldymould mouldymould wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Confirmed for Geneva

30,000 capacity so 1,500 tickets
Ah sh*te, not another ticket panic! Ouch

Unless the FAI can strike a 10% deal with the Swiss FA as they did with the Welsh FA for the WC18 qualifiers....

We can only hope...

Grand view from the Ramada next to the stadium for anyone travelling without a ticket LOL

Will be a campaign to remember, from watching from a car park in Gibraltar with a bag of cans to sitting naked drinking an expensive mini bar in a hotel room cheering on the lads.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Sorry for bothering you Dave we’re staying in Freiburg and travelling down matchday. When would be the best time for booking the train in Advance.
I'd say those train will appear on dB bhan 3 months in advance
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:14pm

bahn.com, six months out, it should only be €19.90 each way. I'd choose one with only one stopover, in Olten.

Incidentally, for people travelling from Zurich to Geneva, it might be cheaper to book tickets from Germany to Geneva on bahn.com, and just ignore the Germany to Zurich bit. If you book a ticket from Singen (in Germany) to Geneva, it will give you options with a change in Zurich. There is no need to take the Singen - Zurich leg; just make sure you only take the booked Zurich to Geneva leg, as the ticket is still train specific. Those tickets should be €29.90 each way and can be booked six months out, as opposed to only two months out for the Swiss domestic options. At €29.90 each way, it's as cheap as you'll get it for from sbb.ch.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:16pm
Those tickets, for 15 October, will go on sale on 18 April at 23:00 Irish time (19 April, 00:00 German time).

For tickets for 16 October, the day after match day, it will be a day later, so 23:00 on 19 April.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 20 Feb 2019 at 6:16pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:31pm

If there is no "Supersaver" option (like Dave had above) on the particular train you want (there wasn't on the imaginary train I would be getting back to Zurich on) I think the next best option is to select the  "Saver Day Pass" option.

The Saver Day Pass gives you a whole day's unlimited travel on the Swiss transport system.

Brings the cost down to €91.

The best bet is actually just to book the ticket on bahn.com, to and from "Singen(Hohentweil)" in Germany.

That will bring up trains with a change in Zurich, and just ignore the Singen - Zurich leg.

Six months out, from €29.90. A Swiss Supersaver ticket is liable to be more than that, no matter.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

If there is no "Supersaver" option (like Dave had above) on the particular train you want (there wasn't on the imaginary train I would be getting back to Zurich on) I think the next best option is to select the  "Saver Day Pass" option.

The Saver Day Pass gives you a whole day's unlimited travel on the Swiss transport system.

Brings the cost down to €91.

The best bet is actually just to book the ticket on bahn.com, to and from "Singen(Hohentweil)" in Germany.

That will bring up trains with a change in Zurich, and just ignore the Singen - Zurich leg.

Six months out, from €29.90. A Swiss Supersaver ticket is liable to be more than that, no matter.

Super saver is €22, handy to know about that trick though 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:52pm
Supersaver is only €22 with a swiss half-fare card. Remove it and it is €44, I think.

I haven't seen any supersavers that are €22 without the half fare card.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:06pm

Supersaver is only €22 with a swiss half-fare card. Remove it and it is €44, I think.

I haven't seen any supersavers that are €22 without the half fare card.

Ah, ffs, that card is one pain in the hoop! Thanks for heads up 
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:14pm
Is the Cork to Geneva fight done away with?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

It's Cork to Zurich not Geneva 
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

It's Cork to Zurich not Geneva 

Thanks, I booked Cork-London-Geneva for €239. I couldn't be bother with getting buses and trains to save a few quid.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:07pm

bahn.com, six months out, it should only be €19.90 each way. I'd choose one with only one stopover, in Olten.

Incidentally, for people travelling from Zurich to Geneva, it might be cheaper to book tickets from Germany to Geneva on bahn.com, and just ignore the Germany to Zurich bit. If you book a ticket from Singen (in Germany) to Geneva, it will give you options with a change in Zurich. There is no need to take the Singen - Zurich leg; just make sure you only take the booked Zurich to Geneva leg, as the ticket is still train specific. Those tickets should be €29.90 each way and can be booked six months out, as opposed to only two months out for the Swiss domestic options. At €29.90 each way, it's as cheap as you'll get it for from sbb.ch.
Could the same be said of Freiburg to Geneva prices will be from €19.90 on dB bhan, if I book the Freiburg to Geneva train will I be OK to board that train when it stops in basel ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Could the same be said of Freiburg to Geneva prices will be from €19.90 on dB bhan, if I book the Freiburg to Geneva train will I be OK to board that train when it stops in basel ?

Yup, it's no problem. I did Zurich to Italy via the Bernina Express a couple of years ago, before the last game in Georgia (flew from Milan) and I booked a Freiburg to Tirano (Italy) ticket and just got on in Zurich. I booked Freiburg - Zurich - Sargans (for a side trip to Liechtenstein) - Chur (to change to the Bernina Express) - Tirano, on one ticket, for €39.90, and just didn't take the Freiburg - Zurich train.

If you can book a train that involves a *change* in Basel, you'll definitely be grand. However, even one which just stops in Basel will be grand - there's no requirement to take the first part from Freiburg to Basel. It's just if you're super-paranoid of there being an issue, there literally can't be an issue if you book a journey that already requires a change in Basel. The conductor on the train from Basel will have no way of knowing if you took the Freiburg - Basel train; you can simply say the conductor never came to you. Any Freiburg to Geneva journeys that show up on bahn.com with two changes should have the first change in Basel, if you are really worried. However, there is no reason whatsoever to be worried, as the conductor will not care and it doesn't matter. You aren't breaking any rules.

If you buy a Dublin to Cork ticket and get on in Portlaoise, they don't care. It's grand. You have a ticket for the journey you are doing, which is the main thing.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Feb 2019 at 12:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 66>
  Share Topic