Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Pretty much sums up Irish fans - You either think he is a young progressive manager that should be given the necessary time to improve Irish football or you think that no mark championship players like Scott Hogan and James Collins won't respect him. Any Irish fan I have talked to falls into one of these catagories. 
And it will define the Kenny era, with fans against him going hard on everything, The Obafemi thing was a prime example. Normally a manager can pick his own squad to fit his system and explain that decision but because its Kenny and people have already made up there mind on him, they dissected that issue. This is just the start every little thing will be picked up on by the anti-Kenny side
Not picking Obafemi is the thing I find most encouraging! For too long Irish managers have used the English league tables to pick their squads with no interest in styles or systems. It genuinely seems like there's some semblance of a plan!
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:20am

Pretty much sums up Irish fans - You either think he is a young progressive manager that should be given the necessary time to improve Irish football or you think that no mark championship players like Scott Hogan and James Collins won't respect him. Any Irish fan I have talked to falls into one of these catagories. 
And it will define the Kenny era, with fans against him going hard on everything, The Obafemi thing was a prime example. Normally a manager can pick his own squad to fit his system and explain that decision but because its Kenny and people have already made up there mind on him, they dissected that issue. This is just the start every little thing will be picked up on by the anti-Kenny side

Hilarious thing is Brian Kerrs era it was well documented this became an issue. Roy Keane has stated his admiration for Kerr since and criticised the few players who thought they were above Kerr and he one of the best midfielders in the world at the time.
Judging by 3 ex players recent comments it’s very easy to see who he was calling out and who were causing aggro. 

Damien Duff recently said when asked that I’m basically doing this because of Stephen Kenny and my admiration for him nothing else and Duff one of the our great footballers who has a Premier League medal.

I would be too young to remember the Kerr campaign properly (vividly remember drawing 2-2 with Israel as a small child) so maybe it was dire but even still it would say far more about the arrogance of any player not taking to a manager based on who he might have “played for”.

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Sep 2020 at 9:25am
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not picking Obafemi is the thing I find most encouraging! For too long Irish managers have used the English league tables to pick their squads with no interest in styles or systems. It genuinely seems like there's some semblance of a plan!

Yeah it seemed to be the problem for the past 10+ years, players being shoe horned into positions they were unsuitable for. Now a manager does something that goes against that and its still not right. Kenny will never win with these fans, they are literally waiting for anything to jump on him, and say I told you so.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It'll be the same fans who turned on previous managers and players. Usually the ones who don't actually go to the games and sit on their armchairs criticizing everything.

Apart from glamour play-offs in easy-to-get-to cities at weekends...Wink
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:23am

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah it seemed to be the problem for the past 10+ years, players being shoe horned into positions they were unsuitable for. Now a manager does something that goes against that and its still not right. Kenny will never win with these fans, they are literally waiting for anything to jump on him, and say I told you so.

I won’t lie I was disappointed not to see Obafemi in the squad but it was still so refreshing to here a manager flat out say exactly why he didn’t pick him and give a clear concise reason (Id like to see him play with the 21s first out wide and he can be a huge asset there in the upcoming games). 
Couldn’t really argue with it.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:32am
The problem with a lot of Irish fan is they are brainwashed into thinking if you didnt play or manage in England your a failure. You have to say that in a robot voice. Its ridiculous. We need to get away from that old mindset although for some they wont be able. 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

The problem with a lot of Irish fan is they are brainwashed into thinking if you didnt play or manage in England your a failure. You have to say that in a robot voice. Its ridiculous. We need to get away from that old mindset although for some they wont be able. 

Probably easy to fall into that mindset if that's the only footnall you watch.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Probably easy to fall into that mindset if that's the only footnall you watch.

Probably. The same type of people if Dundalk were drawn against say an english side in a european game an army of robots would turn up supporting wolves, everton etc etc. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Hilarious thing is Brian Kerrs era it was well documented this became an issue. Roy Keane has stated his admiration for Kerr since and criticised the few players who thought they were above Kerr and he one of the best midfielders in the world at the time.
Judging by 3 ex players recent comments it’s very easy to see who he was calling out and who were causing aggro. 

Damien Duff recently said when asked that I’m basically doing this because of Stephen Kenny and my admiration for him nothing else and Duff one of the our great footballers who has Premier League medals.

I would be too young to remember the Kerr campaign properly (vividly remember drawing 2-2 with Israel as a small child) so maybe it was dire but even still it would say far more about the arrogance of any player not taking to a manager based on who he might have “played for”.

The issue with the Kerr era started with his major efforts to bring Keane back on board which annoyed plenty in the squad who'd been loyal to McCarthy. When this fell on its arse despite all the efforts that put him on the back foot. It wasn't just the likes of McAteer that had an issue (his was being asked to do a presser with Keane if he came back), some of Kerr's own ex players were unhappy with how he was operating. Richard Dunne for example iirc. 

Despite the Keane issue which was very media driven as well, Kerr started well and got us into a positon where wins at home to Russia and away to Switzerland would qualify us for Euro 04. We started well and went one up against Russia through Duff but went into our shell and they equalised. That left us needing a draw away for a play off but we put in one of the most inept performances I've seen and lost 2-0.

Second campaign started well and Keane finally returned but the usual issues remained. We should have beaten France in Paris but drew 0-0. We were 1-0 in the home straight away to Israel and sat further and further back before the inevitable equaliser. The substitutions after Robbie Keane's injury at two up in the home game (Graham Kavanagh for Keane) were a bit of a brain fart and the resultant loss of shape in a game we were coasting cost us dearly and they were level before we properly adjusted. Had we one both those Israel games we'd have qualified despite losing at home to France (a win there would have qualified us) and another insipid performance to Switzerland, rgysa time at home, where the nil all draw cost us a play off.

I was a huge supporter of Kerr and was delighted when he got the job. But the facts are that while he had a great record in friendlies (deliberately targeted to improve our ranking for seeding purposes), every time the chips were down, we went negative and blew it.

There's been a bit of revisionism in the media since, they went hard enough on him when things went wrong. And the difference with Kenny is that the football under Kerr was still quite conservative, especially in those two Israel games. It wasn't this expansive passing style that it's sometimes painted as. 

After two campaigns where we finished 3rd and 4th, a change was possibly warranted. But clearly leaving him in place rather than JD doing a special and appointing Staunton would have been by far the better option. He was unfortunate that he came into such a fractured situation post Saipan.

Edited to correct venue error as pointed out by Tets! 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 02 Sep 2020 at 10:38am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Damien Duff recently said when asked that I’m basically doing this because of Stephen Kenny and my admiration for him nothing else and Duff one of the our great footballers who has Premier League medals.

The issue with the Kerr era started with his major efforts to bring Keane back on board which annoyed plenty in the squad who'd been loyal to McCarthy. When this fell on its arse despite all the efforts that put him on the back foot. It wasn't just the likes of McAteer that had an issue (his was being asked to do a presser with Keane if he came back), some of Kerr's own ex players were unhappy with how he was operating. Richard Dunne for example iirc. 

Despite the Keane issue which was very media driven as well, Kerr started well and got us into a positon where wins at home to Russia and away to Switzerland would qualify us for Euro 04. We started well and went one up against Russia through Duff but went into our shell and they equalised. That left us needing a draw away for a play off but we put in one of the most inept performances I've seen and lost 2-0.

Second campaign started well and Keane finally returned but the usual issues remained. We should have beaten France in Paris but drew 0-0. We were 1-0 in the home straight away to Israel and sat further and further back before the inevitable equaliser. The substitutions after Robbie Keane's injury at two up in the home game (Graham Kavanagh for Keane) were a bit of a brain fart and the resultant loss of shape in a game we were coasting cost us dearly and they were level before we properly adjusted. Had we one both those Israel games we'd have qualified despite losing at home to France (a win there would have qualified us) and another insipid performance away to Switzerland where the nil all draw cost us a play off.

I was a huge supporter of Kerr and was delighted when he got the job. But the facts are that while he had a great record in friendlies (deliberately targeted to improve our ranking for seeding purposes), every time the chips were down, we went negative and blew it.

There's been a bit of revisionism in the media since, they went hard enough on him when things went wrong. And the difference with Kenny is that the football under Kerr was still quite conservative, especially in those two Israel games. It wasn't this expansive passing style that it's sometimes painted as. 

After two campaigns where we finished 3rd and 4th, a change was possibly warranted. But clearly leaving him in place rather than JD doing a special and appointing Staunton would have been by far the better option. He was unfortunate that he came into such a fractured situation post Saipan. 

Nice one I do remember that Israel game where we drew 2-2 and often here if we had won either of those games we’d have qualified (pretty mental thinking back). 

Fair enough and like you say he definitely should have been kept in the background with the FAI. 
I’d argue the same with Kenny even if it goes completely tits up whenever he does finish up (hopefully it’s a long way off yet) I would hand him a blank cheque to work in the background leading things like youth development etc. He would be all merciful at it I think.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:19am
Great post. One thing - that final 0-0 draw with Switzerland was at home, not away.
We could have played that game for another hour and we wouldn't have scored. His substitutions on that night baffled me. What was the point in keeping four defenders on the pitch against a team who had no interest in crossing the halfway line? Why did he take off Robbie Keane when we needed a goal?
Whatever about having to be replaced, Kerr did precious little to convince anyone he had to stay.

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:22am
Excellent write-up n Kerr there, Drumcondra.
That era was back when I went to every home game and my over-riding memories are of a negative but very solid team.
I recall we were very late to making subs and when they were made, they were to consolidate as opposed to go for anything positive.
The home loss to Henry's goal was a bitter pill as we played well and the away draw in Paris was a massive hilight.  

For me, Kerr was a good appointment but he seemed to just not back himself at key points for whatever reason.

Was sad to see him go and we all know what followed...
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:30am
I think we need to be realistic about the squad we have at this time.

Molumby, idah, connolly etc are all just starting to play club football 

Brady, ,duffy, randolph and Long have played little football last season 

Mccarty and arter have been away from the international set up for a long time.

I would say that Egan, Stevens, doherty and mcclean are the few players that have played regular football AND done well in the respective team.

I genuinely believe we'll get better with the players coming through but its very very early say we have a winning team yet.

I expect we'll get a draw tomorrow and that might be where we are at the moment
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Great post. One thing - that final 0-0 draw with Switzerland was at home, not away.
We could have played that game for another hour and we wouldn't have scored. His substitutions on that night baffled me. What was the point in keeping four defenders on the pitch against a team who had no interest in crossing the halfway line? Why did he take off Robbie Keane when we needed a goal?
Whatever about having to be replaced, Kerr did precious little to convince anyone he had to stay.

Sorry, you're right of course. The two end of campaign games kind of merge in my memory. Was just after the 1-0 win away to Cyprus where we were utterly poxed to win after being outplayed. Given saved a pen to get us the three points. But it actually wasn't much worse of a performance than the 5-2 a year later, Cyprus just weren't clinical in the first game but they created plenty of chances unlike us. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:43am

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Second campaign started well and Keane finally returned but the usual issues remained. We should have beaten France in Paris but drew 0-0. We were 1-0 in the home straight away to Israel and sat further and further back before the inevitable equaliser. The substitutions after Robbie Keane's injury at two up in the home game (Graham Kavanagh for Keane) were a bit of a brain fart and the resultant loss of shape in a game we were coasting cost us dearly and they were level before we properly adjusted. Had we one both those Israel games we'd have qualified despite losing at home to France (a win there would have qualified us) and another insipid performance away to Switzerland where the nil all draw cost us a play off.

Nice one I do remember that Israel game where we drew 2-2 and often here if we had won either of those games we’d have qualified (pretty mental thinking back). 

Fair enough and like you say he definitely should have been kept in the background with the FAI. 
I’d argue the same with Kenny even if it goes completely tits up whenever he does finish up (hopefully it’s a long way off yet) I would hand him a blank cheque to work in the background leading things like youth development etc. He would be all merciful at it I think.

Needed to win both Israel games to qualify rather than just one. 

100% Kerr should have been kept on in some capacity but whether he'd have done that after not having his senior manager contract renewed is debatable. Regardless, he was treated absolutely shamefully by the FAI afterwards and I'd have seen no reason for him not to have been given a role even a year or two later when the dust had settled. Was a horrendous black balling. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:08am
I think one of the hacks earlier in the week called it right, we could have an unbelievablely good young team in 4 years time for the Euros in Germany 2024. Personally, I'd like to see Kenny work towards that target.

That is not to say that we write off the next 4 years, but I think we're at the beginning of the biggest transition the national team has seen since McCarthy took over (the first time). Even the quality young lads who've come in already like Parrot, Idah, Molumby, Obafemi, Connolly etc. are far far from the finished articles. There is great reasons to be optimistic but this will be a process.

Mick O'Neill took 4 years and a few putrid campaigns with the mini Tans before he got them up and running 

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:19am
Any other international manager would have been sacked with Michael O'Neill's record in his first two years. Took him that long to get his first win and recorded losses against Liechtenstein and Kazakhstan in that time. Took another 18 months to get his second win.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Any other international manager would have been sacked with Michael O'Neill's record in his first two years. Took him that long to get his first win and recorded losses against Liechtenstein and Kazakhstan in that time. Took another 18 months to get his second win.

Fair dues to them for sticking with him. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 735>
  Share Topic