Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:11pm
Its not even about what we do on the pitch for me. Which hopefully will be greaat but just to hear our own manager talk up our players, talk about winning games and trying to keep possesion. Just talking with self belief and confidence. That a start. Thats a huge platform to build on.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Its not even about what we do on the pitch for me. Which hopefully will be greaat but just to hear our own manager talk up our players, talk about winning games and trying to keep possesion. Just talking with self belief and confidence. That a start. Thats a huge platform to build on.

It’s class and I would love him to get to the Euros as straight away that gives him the platform to drive on. I’d say he wouldn’t be remotely afraid of Spain Poland and Sweden either I would be very optimistic of us going close to getting to the knockout stages of nothing else. (It is a tough group). 

It will need time though and I won’t be remotely judging him until the end of the Euro 2024 campaign at least. He must be giving time to implement his way. 

I’d suggest to anyone thinking otherwise go and look back at Michael O’Neills first qualifying campaign for the North. 👀👀 
They genuinely do deserve praise as contradictory as it sounds you could almost of gone its hard to argue if they sacked them as they were hopeless initially as he bedded in his game plan. 

Edited by kevin100 - 01 Sep 2020 at 11:22pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

The likes of Georgia were always made look better than they were due to sitting back and just letting them play. Very few teams outside the top 20 in world football don't buckle when you press them. Press them high and press them with sustained intensity.

They resort to hitting it long. Duffy, thanks very much!

One thing for sure, we will impose our game on the opposition, not the other way. Will be proactive and not reactive tactics. Really looking forward to it. 

Do you think any opposition team we play will not be trying to do the exact same thing to us? 

We should not be underestimating Bulgaria even if they've been poor in recent years. 

That’s the thing I said it in another post that Bulgaria for context are still a better side than the Georgia one that played us off park in Tbilisi. 
A few disagreed but for me there’s no metric for disagreeing they aren’t to be underestimated for all you could consider them one of the weaker of the 16 League B sides.  

A win would be a great result and if we can play football dominate possession and create chances even better I’d be happier with that and drawing then winning whilst getting lucky. Style and promise for me over a poxy result. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:32am
Again happy to give Kenny around 5 games to see how things pan out , now if i am honest he is not the man for he job but loved to be proved wrong .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:57am
As Ireland manager he will most likely never be as popular as he is now (before a ball is kicked). He knows this too.  

Think we do need to give him much longer than 5 games Murph. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Again happy to give Kenny around 5 games to see how things pan out , now if i am honest he is not the man for he job but loved to be proved wrong .

Who do you think should have got it and why do you not think Kenny is the man for the job.  

Were you happy Mick got it and in favour of Martin also? 

What will you do after 5 games 

Edited by Baldrick - 02 Sep 2020 at 8:01am
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:06am
If we're only gonna give him 5 games then we may aswell sack him tomorrow and be done with it already.

It's important to understand that he's going to wanting to play his own systems with a newer generation of players, this sort of revolution doesn't happen overnight "Rome wasn't built in a day" 

It's been widely acknowledged that regardless of playoff results it's very possible we'll have to go 1 or 2 steps backwards in order to go forwards, if in 2-3 years time there's been little progress I'd understand the protest and frustrations but after 5 games is sheer madness.

Edited by coyne - 02 Sep 2020 at 8:07am
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:11am
That’s all very nice to say, it’s fluffy and wonderful. But will he get the respect of McCarthy, Hogan etc the guys who have no idea who he is when he’s telling them they’re not working hard enough for example. I’m not so sure.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:31am

Who has been the man for the job though? No one has really loved up to the hype. Let's give a home grown manager a go, at a much cheaper rate than the previous lot. He has picked an exciting squad. He did well in LOI and as manager of U21. He is saying all the right things and being positive about our strengths (again, a positive change from the last lot).
I'm looking forward to see how we get on and think he was the right man to be giving the chance 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:35am
Hogan ?    Why does he need his respect 😀😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

That’s all very nice to say, it’s fluffy and wonderful. But will he get the respect of McCarthy, Hogan etc the guys who have no idea who he is when he’s telling them they’re not working hard enough for example. I’m not so sure.

Dont buy into that. Some of the best managers in the game never played ball at a high level. A lot of our players have worked their way up from lower league or LOI. Look at the Red Bull Leipzig  manager Juian Nagelsmann, he has been managing in the top flight of Germany for 4 years and he is still only 33. Even if some players have reservations,  as anyone does when they get a new boss, especially if they have been propelled into the position a little left field, it will be his quality as a manager that will be the difference in being able to get through to the team his way he wants them to succeed. 
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:44am
His Dundalk side were competitive in the group stages of the Europa League. That’s an unbelievable feat.

He completely turned around our Under 21 setup after decades of underperforming in a short space of time. 

He deserves his chance and I’m very confident that he’s the best man for the job at the moment. Can’t wait for tomorrow. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:56am

5 games LOL

foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:01am
Pretty much sums up Irish fans - You either think he is a young progressive manager that should be given the necessary time to improve Irish football or you think that no mark championship players like Scott Hogan and James Collins won't respect him. Any Irish fan I have talked to falls into one of these catagories. 
And it will define the Kenny era, with fans against him going hard on everything, The Obafemi thing was a prime example. Normally a manager can pick his own squad to fit his system and explain that decision but because its Kenny and people have already made up there mind on him, they dissected that issue. This is just the start every little thing will be picked up on by the anti-Kenny side
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

5 games LOL

And we wonder why the EPL has turned into a managerial merry-go-roundLOLLOLLOL
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:03am

Belligerent old boys unwilling to change. I thought that was just the FAI council.🤷‍♂️
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:03am
It'll be the same fans who turned on previous managers and players. Usually the ones who don't actually go to the games and sit on their armchairs criticizing everything.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Kenny will take the "poxy" win over the dreamland defeat every time. Results get us to finals, put money in the coffers and aid development. They also give YBIG a good time. You're stating the bleedin' obvious that Bulgaria shouldn't be underestimated - they're rated fourteen places above us in UEFA rankings. Finland are ranked one place below us. Both, with good reason, will be optimistic of four points against us. Many will deride the rankings but they're results-based and neutral. We should have optimism too - otherwise why bother - but it should be capped by realism. 

Of course I am stating the obvious but lads are talking on here of 2 and 3 nil wins so it has to said doesn’t it. 

I would be more encouraged if I saw us play good football tomorrow night dominate the game create chances and not getting the rub of the green and drawing than sneaking a 1-0 win with 30% possession having been played off the park. 

The CBIG mightn’t have the cop on to grasp the long term and bigger picture but I and many others would do. 

We qualify for nothing tomorrow night it’s a grand concept better than friendlies but really the best we can do in this thing is go into the WC qualifiers as 2nd seeds instead of 3rd seeds. In European international football that really is a much of a muchness and I wouldn’t be remotely bothered if he experimented heavily in these 2 games with a view to Slovakia (the big game)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 735>
  Share Topic