You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:03pm
Kenny's first team will look (ok I'm bored)

Randolph

Egan, Duffy, Clarke 
Dogerty                                 Stevens

McCarthy, Molumby, Knight 

Mcgoldrick
                          Connolly 

Sponsored Links

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Randolph

Egan, Duffy, Clarke 

Mcgoldrick
                          Connolly 

Decent side and I’m hoping he’ll play Doherty and Stevens as wing backs because they are far more effective that way than in a back four. Having already made Coleman captain I’d say him Duffy and Egan will make up the back three instead of Clarke.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:47pm
very unlikely he’s playing 3-5-2. He’s already spoken about a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with “raiding” full backs. We’ll get attacking full backs, but probably with Egan and Duffy as the only cbs

Might not be what people want to see, but I would bet on something like:

Randolph
Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens
 Hendrick McCarthy Molumby
Brady McGoldrick Robinson

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:49pm

Randolph

Egan, Duffy, Clarke 

Mcgoldrick
                          Connolly 

Dogerty tends to have the odd howler
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Randolph

Egan, Duffy, Clarke 

Mcgoldrick
                          Connolly 

At least he is at the right club, until he gets hounded out, packs them in and joins the mighty Shadwell Town.
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:08pm
Wonder if Kenny has the balls to drop the underperforming players from the recent campaign - Coleman, Mcclean, Hendrick etc.- if they fail to impress in his first few games . 
Hoping it could turn out like some club managerial changes where a new manager comes in and players find form, but if Kenny continues to play the same players who haven't been good enough yet are guaranteed starters then that's far from progress 
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Randolph

Egan, Duffy, Clarke 

Mcgoldrick
                          Connolly 

At least he is at the right club, until he gets hounded out, packs them in and joins the mighty Shadwell Town.

Sadly Shadwell haven’t been the same since Gumbo died 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

Wonder if Kenny has the balls to drop the underperforming players from the recent campaign - Coleman, Mcclean, Hendrick etc.- if they fail to impress in his first few games . 
Hoping it could turn out like some club managerial changes where a new manager comes in and players find form, but if Kenny continues to play the same players who haven't been good enough yet are guaranteed starters then that's far from progress 
This is all dependent on when football is played again, by the time it is half these lads could have retired, but were a vaccine to be found tomorrow, and we played Slovakia soon, I can't imagine those players being jettisoned. It is all well and good to say they haven't been performing, and I'm hardly Hendrick's biggest admirer here, but who do you replace them all with? 
Unless thag Kenny has been given a completely different set of criteria to Mick and qualification is no longer the primary objective. 
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:35pm
well you make a good point i for one would rather see us qualifying then experimenting too much too soon, he will likely stick with the tried and tested but could have tough decisions ahead. Hoping he makes a good go of it anyway the break in between play off games should work in our favour and we have a favourable nations league draw so we could be second seeds by the time the W. C qualifying begins.. 
We could also have a play off secured as a back up
Ambush green View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambush green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:37pm
Kenny has said that there will not be many changes but that is dependant on a number of issues, ie will  Jeff Hendrick and Rob Brady be kept on by Burnley. Will Shne Duffy be the same. Or will Lenihan O Shea Molumphy and all the other young players be  in a stronger position .Randolph needs game time but no obvious replacement. Will Travers,Kelleher or even Bazuna push on? Will Glen Whelan even have a club.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:00pm
The tried and tested hasnt worked, players haven't performed, results have  been disappointing and tactics are left wanting.

I think it's likely Whelan has played his last game for ireland, mcclean is a bottom of the championship player now, Brady doesnt look like he'll rediscover the form of old, It'll be interesting to see where Hendrick ends up.

Coupled with Molumby, Knight, connolly, nathan Collins, cullen all getting better. Parrott should see a loan spell, Masterson improving.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:53am
Robbie Keane's son could be centre forward in Ireland's next match.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:45pm
I think it’s better that he gets the most out of all our players, rather than canning them and immediately playing Jack Byrne and our under 21s in every game
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:56pm
Who do people think we are that we could just go throwing established premier league players like Coleman, Hendrick, Brady and Long on the scrapheap? LOL Even the likes of McClean could well play a part in Kenny's overall squad. Simply forgetting about these guys is the exact  opposite of "maximising our resources", which is what Kenny is meant to do. Clearly all of these guys are in our top 30 players, so it will be Kenny's job to get them playing to the best of their ability, not simply discarding them.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 2:48pm
I would think we will have all as part of a 30 man squad. Coleman is still a very good premiership player. Hendrick has been poor for Ireland but is a consistent first teamer in the premiership.

However, I dont think many players in the ireland squad have cemented themselves as guaranteed first team players by performance.

We seem to have a series of players that are undropable from the first team, players like mcclean, hendrick and coleman. Have them in the squad I totally agree but guaranteed to play? 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:57pm
I've always felt that Hendrick has something to offer at International level.
The hope is SK can extract that from him on something resembling a consistent basis.

I worry for Coleman as his injury and age is now telling.  Maybe a role inside would suit him better and he would 100% be in any squad I was naming.

As for McClean, he is just the antitheses of a team who want to keep the ball.  His skills lie elsewhere and I fear for his game time under SK.
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Who do people think we are that we could just go throwing established premier league players like Coleman, Hendrick, Brady and Long on the scrapheap? LOL Even the likes of McClean could well play a part in Kenny's overall squad. Simply forgetting about these guys is the exact  opposite of "maximising our resources", which is what Kenny is meant to do. Clearly all of these guys are in our top 30 players, so it will be Kenny's job to get them playing to the best of their ability, not simply discarding them.

Nobody said that ya would ya get over yourself ffs, they deserve the opportunity to stake their claim but if they are playing sh*te it should be the case that there dropped no matter who we are or who they play for
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:31pm
There will not be sweeping changes in the squad, initially anyway-it will be more a change of style and way of playing. Coleman has been re-affirmed as captain and has been one of a number of players singled out for praise by Kenny. Others have included Egan, young Doherty, Brady whom he clearly sees as a key player he wants back in and likewise James McCarthy, whom Kenny also obviously rates though he has been publicly at least claiming to have no knowledge as to why he has not been turning up for squads. Hendrick has been a regular starter for Burnley but may be asked to play a different role that involves keeping the ball and passing it. Long was back to top form with Southampton before the break. James McClean was transformed by Kenny at Derry City from a raw teenage talent to a player who earned a transfer to a Premiership club, he knows him well and will get the best out of him. Molumby may get an early chance and some of the young strikers too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 735>
  Share Topic