You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 531532533534535 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 8:54am
The thing is, it's easy to look at Morocco's success at this WC and say "we should be taking their pragmatic approach" but actually in reality we already are, we just don't execute it very well and make far too many mistakes. 

When we are playing against good teams we are not holding onto the ball for long trying to play around them, we are being much more pragmatic, with a key difference to previous times being we are not just launching it forward aimlessly when we do get the ball, but we do if we have to get it out away under pressure. 

If you look at our stats versus possession based teams like Portugal away, then our stats are also in the 20-30 range. As the opponents get better like Ukraine and Scotland then it's in the 30-45 range. 

If you look at Morocco's stats against more similar quality teams to themselves, e.g. the African qualifiers then actually their status are into the 50's and 60's, etc. 

What Morocco have going for them that we don't is we do not have anyone of real quality especially in the creative midfielder role. What a difference it would be to have someone like Ziyech or a Modric, it would transform us. 

It's really actually the games where teams are playing the 'low block' against us that we struggle the most and performances have been septic. 

For sure, I think there are times where we simply can't afford to just hold onto possession for possession sake when we get near the opposition's box so instead of going backwards just so we hold onto the ball we should instead just get it into the box and see what happens. 

My main issue with Kenny is we are looking a bit soft and giving away so many cheap goals and it hasn't improved over-time. So I question are the defensive tactics confusing them, is he not getting them as motivated for the game, why are they losing concentration at times, why are our performances so flat against weaker sides?

I would still hope whoever comes in to replace Kenny would kind of continue as he has remolded us but the team has more focus and energy than what we are seeing especially against the so-called weaker teams......and pray above all else that we get even one diamond of a creative player that breaks their way into the team over the next year or two. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 12 Dec 2022 at 8:56am
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 9:13am
For me Kenny has to sort out the back line , stop giving away cheap goals but will he . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

When all is said and done we should play to our strengths, we should prioritize winning over losing, fielding our strongest 11 while growing a deep bench of talent, ensuring seamless transitions going forward, and switching to the metric system in defence. At the end of the day we're great for a small country and keeping it tight at the back we'll maximise returns on our emotional investment.

Your strongest 11 will probably differ to mine and Kenny's too.There are also tactical reasons why player X might play ahead of player Y.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 9:33am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

The thing is, it's easy to look at Morocco's success at this WC and say "we should be taking their pragmatic approach" but actually in reality we already are, we just don't execute it very well and make far too many mistakes. 

When we are playing against good teams we are not holding onto the ball for long trying to play around them, we are being much more pragmatic, with a key difference to previous times being we are not just launching it forward aimlessly when we do get the ball, but we do if we have to get it out away under pressure. 

If you look at our stats versus possession based teams like Portugal away, then our stats are also in the 20-30 range. As the opponents get better like Ukraine and Scotland then it's in the 30-45 range. 

If you look at Morocco's stats against more similar quality teams to themselves, e.g. the African qualifiers then actually their status are into the 50's and 60's, etc. 

What Morocco have going for them that we don't is we do not have anyone of real quality especially in the creative midfielder role. What a difference it would be to have someone like Ziyech or a Modric, it would transform us. 

It's really actually the games where teams are playing the 'low block' against us that we struggle the most and performances have been septic. 

For sure, I think there are times where we simply can't afford to just hold onto possession for possession sake when we get near the opposition's box so instead of going backwards just so we hold onto the ball we should instead just get it into the box and see what happens. 

My main issue with Kenny is we are looking a bit soft and giving away so many cheap goals and it hasn't improved over-time. So I question are the defensive tactics confusing them, is he not getting them as motivated for the game, why are they losing concentration at times, why are our performances so flat against weaker sides?

I would still hope whoever comes in to replace Kenny would kind of continue as he has remolded us but the team has more focus and energy than what we are seeing especially against the so-called weaker teams......and pray above all else that we get even one diamond of a creative player that breaks their way into the team over the next year or two. 

Yeah, Morocco basically play how we do against very good opposition (albeit probably with a bit less possession, they seem to average mid-20's whereas we seem to average mid-30's). As you say, we haven't had big problems against good teams though, if anything we've been generally impressive.

The problems have come (and again this is nothing new to Kenny's tenure) against weaker sides who make us take the game to them. We need to become more consistent in finding the answers to this as we did against the likes of  Luxembourg (2nd time), and Qatar, rather than toiling and slipping up as we did against Luxembourg (1st time) and Armenia.
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 10:04am
Our lack of 1 or 2 high-level, quality players is the biggest thing that has stood out to me throughout the tournament. With the exception of 1 or 2 teams, every other team has at least 2 or 3 of those players that can make the difference.

Australia are probably the only side comparable to us in that we both have no stars in our squad.

Comparing Morocco to us is a waste of time tbh. They have 2 or 3 excellent players (Hakimi, Ziyech, Mazraoui), while another 4 or 5 are having a fantastic tournament. Their government has invested loads in their youth development and infrastructure. Ours has never done such a thing.

I can't see Kenny shifting from his ideals at this stage though, he's too far down the line to change approach.

Edited by The Huntacha - 12 Dec 2022 at 10:06am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 11:04am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Our lack of 1 or 2 high-level, quality players is the biggest thing that has stood out to me throughout the tournament. With the exception of 1 or 2 teams, every other team has at least 2 or 3 of those players that can make the difference.

Australia are probably the only side comparable to us in that we both have no stars in our squad.

Comparing Morocco to us is a waste of time tbh. They have 2 or 3 excellent players (Hakimi, Ziyech, Mazraoui), while another 4 or 5 are having a fantastic tournament. Their government has invested loads in their youth development and infrastructure. Ours has never done such a thing.

I can't see Kenny shifting from his ideals at this stage though, he's too far down the line to change approach.
Australia is a poor team on paper and had a disappointing qualifying campaign. I reckon only one player from their team would be a starter for Ireland. Mooy. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 12:01pm
We'd fit very easily into that category too.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Australia have at least got a midfielder tor two that can pass the ball, even a Mooy would be of benefit to us, that's how bereft of talent our midfield is and why the failure to give Smallbone a run out still rankles.

Edited by John Nice - 15 Dec 2022 at 10:50am
Idah Dream!
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 7:56pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:41pm
Lad who worked under Kenny at Longford interviewed on Second Captains and talking about how great his motivational skills were. Also talked about the weird tangents he would take. They got new away jerseys and Kenny told them, "I just want to say you look fantastic in the new jerseys, lads."

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 21 Jan 2023 at 9:43pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Lad who worked under Kenny at Longford interviewed on Second Captains and talking about how great his motivational skills were. Also talked about the weird tangents he would take. They got new away jerseys and Kenny told them, "I just want to say you look fantastic in the new jerseys, lads."
Wow, class story 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Wow, class story 
I don't do it justice.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:00pm

How is that a tangent? LOL

(Unless it was shouted from the sideline during the game.)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:24pm
Second Captains has gone downhill by the sounds of it.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 4:26pm
I wonder will Everton be in touch with him now?

Would be disastrous for our campaign should he choose to go.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 4:49pm
Confused
It would damage this forums' reputation
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

I wonder will Everton be in touch with him now?

Would be disastrous for our campaign should he choose to go.

LOLLOL
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Second Captains has gone downhill by the sounds of it.

Nah still top class.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 531532533534535 735>
  Share Topic