Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 513514515516517 735>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:17pm
I think the key here is that Stephen Kenny does think the players are good enough. He backs them to play a better (while accepting this is subjective) brand of football, that loads of us are relieved to finally see, and the players seem to really enjoy. I understand we qualified for the odd tournament playing utter cock, but we have to make the change a some stage and actually evolve with the rest of the football world. 

I want my teams to actually want the ball. I accept it's a results game. But I also accept that this stuff takes time. A lot of time. He's got a nice chunk now at this stage, but he will get the Euros, which I believe he should. I think we are a decent team now with the potential to really push on.

I can't be certain we will reach that potential, but I am willing to roll the dice.

Looking forward to Tuesday
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:56pm
Im sure Kerr and Delaney will be some dose to listen to tonight. I assume they will be on Virgin media's coverage. The only 2 panelists they seem to have. Yawn
I love beer gardens
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:47pm
That was a good game from us last night. A moment of stupidity cost the team, and we literally handed Scotland the three points.

Overall, we defended well, passed well at times, countered very well and created enough chances to win.

We had a very bad start to the campaign, but we have returned to a level of performance that should give us a good chance at qualifying for the Euros.

Our forwards have been blowing hot and cold, and that's a worry. But this has been a problem for a long time.

Anybody else, who came in to manage the team now, would still have to solve the old age mystery of why we struggle to take our chances when they arrive.

Edited by Terzino - 25 Sep 2022 at 10:48pm
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:41pm
Got on here after a tough day's work to see what's new, and it's the same posters repeating themselves ad nauseam as to why Kenny is failing, but more importantly why any of us who see the positives in what Kenny is doing are sensitive snowflakes who can't take any criticism of our patron saint.
It's boring, it's pointless, it's been said twenty times by each of you before.
Start a thread dedicated to this topic where you can be in your own echo chamber and save us the tedium.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:28pm
Seems a bit bizarre to demand that the manager of a third seeded team with bang average players has to qualify for the Euros or he'll be sacked. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by williemc83 williemc83 wrote:

Seems a bit bizarre to demand that the manager of a third seeded team with bang average players has to qualify for the Euros or he'll be sacked. 
Why not??
It’s in the main always been the remit of an Irish manager to have the team playing above its station!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Of course it's also results. It's great we are playing better and actually outplaying good sides at different times.  

If we fail to qualify or even fall out of contention early then it will be a case of thanks, but we need to try something differently. I think we are in a better place now than the end of MoN and Mccarthy. Kenny deserves a lot of credit as he has put faith in youth

He did put faith in youth but let’s be honest whoever  was there was going to have to bring on the younger lads over this time period.

Between players just getting too old and Covid changes were inevitable 

You say that but Trap, MoN and Mccarthy did not have a good record at bringing through young players. 

No and they weren’t the best but no matter who was there this time it was going to have to be done there was no other choice 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Right first up i never saw the game last night ( was flying at the time ) so can't say what happened now saw highlights but that's it . 
You win some and you lose some and this is what Kenny's time in as our manager is all about . 
Just when you think we have turned the corner we are brought back down to earth . 

We have to avoid defeat on Tuesday first up then see who we get in the Euro's .

There will always be the Ying and Yang people on here when it comes to Kenny simple as that . 

Spoken like a man who has thrown in the towel. What will be will be. And to a certain extent you are probably right. There are many on the forum that have invested so much into Kenny that they can't turn back now. Green shoots and some potential is enough 3 campaigns in to keep them hoping and believing. I think the rest of us know that Kenny isn't qualifying us for the Euros but praying that something clicks consistently. Blind hope is all I have left really.

I have nowhere else to go Stick , i see results others see fantastic football with no results or one or two just to keep you thinking now we have this .

Reminds me about the painters who paint the seven bridge in the UK , they start at one end and when finish go back and start again . 
 Kenny will always be work in progress it will never finish until the board comes up with idea it just may be time for something new , until that time i just hope we win more times that what we have under him going forward . 

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:40pm

By the time Kenny is finished people will be saying he has done a great job by not finishing last. The standards never stop dropping. It's absolutely comical.

The only reason we are third seeds is because of Kenny's absolutely abysmal record. LOL
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Well it beats being bored to tears and still not qualifying as happened most of the time under 2nd generation Mick and under MON and Trap.  If we are not going to qualify at least if we have a go and bring through young players it is something that can be enjoyable. If you were to offer me coming - close 3rd and not qualifying watching sh*t and coming a distance 3rd and seeing decent football and youth given a chance, I would chose the latter.  

We do not have the players to be winning groups or comfortably finishing 2nd.  So it’s tight margins around 3rd and maybe 2nd on a very good run of results.  
That’s all well and good but the hard fact of it is the money is in qualifying you don’t qualify you have less money to bring more or these guys through and appeal to them Vs other sports.

No one will have it on reeling in the years where we played lovely football but lost to Armenia.

Everyone remembers Genoa, Giants Stadium Lille etc!!

But we don’t have the players that we had for Genoa or New York or even for Lille.  
What you are asking for is silly cause if we knew at the outset we wouldn’t qualify of course people would choose entertainment over results.

But in the real footballing world results out trump everything.

In the words of a man much maligned on here” result is result show is show”
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:41pm

Depends on a lot of things really, the draw etc. but he certainly needs to be competitive as far as I'm concerned and I'm pro-Kenny. He's had time now, he's building a decent squad, I'm happy with a lot of the work he and his team have done, but it's a results business and in truth bar a couple of outliers like England and France, the ten teams rated 12-21 are teams we can and should be competitive with, while the teams ranked 33-42 are teams we now have to go and beat while accepting that a few of them are decent also (Turkey, Greece). Look if we get Spain and England/France out of Pots 1 and 2, then It's going to be tough, but we still have a chance of a play off spot also. I wouldnt say right now that he has to qualify or he's gone, let's see what the draw throws up first. He certainly cant fall out of contention after the opening 2 or 3 games again.
Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

By the time Kenny is finished people will be saying he has done a great job by not finishing last. The standards never stop dropping. It's absolutely comical.

The only reason we are third seeds is because of Kenny's absolutely abysmal record. LOL

Absolutely abysmal record in comparison to what? 
We haven't been a second seed since the euro 2016 campaign. All the other greats that came before Kenny also couldn't get us back to second seeds.
Pure revisionist statement.

But in general, if we don't qualify then most likely his time will be up. Of course it could all depend. If we get a tough draw and we out perform what is expected then he could stay. 
But if it was another campaign like the WC one where there was a number of very bad results then I think that would probably be that. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:09pm

We haven't been a second seed since the euro 2016 campaign. All the other greats that came before Kenny also couldn't get us back to second seeds.

But in general, if we don't qualify then most likely his time will be up. Of course it could all depend. If we get a tough draw and we out perform what is expected then he could stay. 
But if it was another campaign like the WC one where there was a number of very bad results then I think that would probably be that. 
We were to be in pot 2 only for Kenny’s previous nations league campaign we still had a chance up until the last game any win and we would have most likely been in pot2 for our last qualifiers
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:18pm

We surely dont need to go over again the fact that Kenny had us out of contention after 2 games in the last 3 competitions he took part in do we?

Or that he could have had us on our way to being 2nd seeds if he managed to beat Amenia who have conceeded 14 and scored once in the 4 games since we somehow lost to them. Or beat Ukraines literal B team at home.

It was entirely in Kenny's hands to achieve a 2nd seed spot. He failed. Acting like us being 3rd seeds is just another misfortune that Kenny has had to deal with and had no influence over is pure and utter rubbish. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:28pm

We were to be in pot 2 only for Kenny’s previous nations league campaign we still had a chance up until the last game any win and we would have most likely been in pot2 for our last qualifiers

Yeah we were still in pot 2 after Kenny drew 2 and lost 2 of his first 4 nations league games in 2020. 

Nothing at all to do with him that we are a pot 3 team now. 

https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/1316501003055894528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1316501003055894528%7Ctwgr%5Eb350aa35e342420aa82d7be80e4d741dd5405ac5%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.the42.ie%2Fireland-world-cup-seeding-5233922-Oct2020%2F

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:37pm
We are where we are, if he wins tomorrow night he will almost certainly get the Euro 24 campaign, if he loses he'll likely get the chop. I hope it isnt a draw cos that will do nothing to bring us all together.

Some of us see green shoots emerging after 10 years of progressive decline.

Some of us see Kenny's win record and say it isnt good enough.

Both can be true.
Idah Dream!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:37pm

Yeah we were still in pot 2 after Kenny drew 2 and lost 2 of his first 4 nations league games in 2020. 

https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/1316501003055894528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1316501003055894528%7Ctwgr%5Eb350aa35e342420aa82d7be80e4d741dd5405ac5%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.the42.ie%2Fireland-world-cup-seeding-5233922-Oct2020%2F

Are you being serious?
Or is this a joke?
I’m not sure how to respond 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:45pm

Are you being serious?
Or is this a joke?
I’m not sure how to respond 
The obvious sarcasm didnt come across? Obviously its everything to do with him that we are in pot 3 now.

The joke is that he has taken us from a pot 2 to a pot 3 team and kept us there, where we are now vulnerable to drawing pot 2 sides such as France and England, in a qualification campaign where the goal is qualifying.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 513514515516517 735>
  Share Topic