You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 510511512513514 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Personally I was sick of not looking forward to Ireland games.

You didnt look forward to Ireland games when we were competitive in qualification groups?

When we were in WC playoffs or bringing qualification to the Euros down to the final game?

I must be off my rocker for looking forward to those games more than some dead rubber against Portugal at home when the group is already completely dead. Or Armenia at home in a bloody relegation 6 pointer. 

Some lads would genuinely be better off going to the cinema or something because entertainment is the priority over results and success is seems.
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:39am
It was horrible watching Ireland. So I'm glad that's behind us.

I never expected us to qualify for the WC. I do expect us to be competing to qualify for the Euros.

I want to see Ireland teams have a go. That's all  

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

So the old " we do have the players but Mick/MON wont let them play" has now changed to the "we dont have the players"

The team was worse under Mick in 2019 and he had us in contention.

The quality of the players was always going to be the get out of jail card for the SK devotees if results didn't improve...

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 25 Sep 2022 at 10:40am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:40am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Of course it's also results. It's great we are playing better and actually outplaying good sides at different times.  

If we fail to qualify or even fall out of contention early then it will be a case of thanks, but we need to try something differently. I think we are in a better place now than the end of MoN and Mccarthy. Kenny deserves a lot of credit as he has put faith in youth

He did put faith in youth but let’s be honest whoever  was there was going to have to bring on the younger lads over this time period.

Between players just getting too old and Covid changes were inevitable 

Edited by Fruice - 25 Sep 2022 at 10:40am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:40am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

You didnt look forward to Ireland games when we were competitive in qualification groups?

When we were in WC playoffs or bringing qualification to the Euros down to the final game?

I must be off my rocker for looking forward to those games more than some dead rubber against Portugal at home when the group is already completely dead. Or Armenia at home in a bloody relegation 6 pointer. 

Some lads would genuinely be better off going to the cinema or something because entertainment is the priority over results and success is seems.

Football is entertainment.  Simple as that.  It was established to entertain the workers in the industrial heartland of England on Saturday afternoons after a hard weeks work.  When it stops being entertaining it is pointless.  
AKA pedantic kunt
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:42am
It doesn't matter who's the manager, we're the level we're at. Hopefully in 5 years or so we'll have another golden generation coming through thanks to some of the great underage work.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Of course it's also results. It's great we are playing better and actually outplaying good sides at different times.  

If we fail to qualify or even fall out of contention early then it will be a case of thanks, but we need to try something differently. I think we are in a better place now than the end of MoN and Mccarthy. Kenny deserves a lot of credit as he has put faith in youth

He did put faith in youth but let’s be honest whoever  was there was going to have to bring on the younger lads over this time period.

Between players just getting too old and Covid changes were inevitable 

You say that but Trap, MoN and Mccarthy did not have a good record at bringing through young players. 

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:45am
The beauty is, you can actually have both success and entertainment. This is the best way to improve young players and I don't think anyone can claim we haven't seen improvements technically. We do however lack a goalscorer, as was evidenced last night

However, more of the Irish public seem to be buying into this team. They're easier to watch. I want to see big crowds at games, I want to see the game grow in Ireland. Believe it or not, even training with the academy yesterday, I am seeing a massive increase in kids wearing Ireland jersies. Instead of PSG, Chelsea and Man City. I think this is having a positive impact on the game.

Let's see how the draw goes next month. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:46am
The challenge is what do we need to have in place to improve results with the players we have....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Football is entertainment.  Simple as that.  It was established to entertain the workers in the industrial heartland of England on Saturday afternoons after a hard weeks work.  When it stops being entertaining it is pointless.  

It is entertainment but its also about paying 40 euros to watch your team win. Not too many go home happy in defeat because we had good possession.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:12am
Well it beats being bored to tears and still not qualifying as happened most of the time under 2nd generation Mick and under MON and Trap.  If we are not going to qualify at least if we have a go and bring through young players it is something that can be enjoyable. If you were to offer me coming - close 3rd and not qualifying watching sh*t and coming a distance 3rd and seeing decent football and youth given a chance, I would chose the latter.  

We do not have the players to be winning groups or comfortably finishing 2nd.  So it’s tight margins around 3rd and maybe 2nd on a very good run of results.  

Edited by Baldrick - 25 Sep 2022 at 11:15am
AKA pedantic kunt
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:17am

Interesting that there not a load of debate in here about his time being up this time around. 

And some of the teams that he was slaughtered for, e.g. Luxembourg and Azerbaijan are getting results still off teams who would be similar to us (or arguably better) like Slovakia and Turkey. 

If course, those performances were we have lost were not good enough so he can't be absorbed of fault and bad performances should continue to be scrutinised but it was maybe not as absolutely disastrous in reality
Those results were disastrous. Just like the defeat to Armenia is proving disastrous. A bit early for benign revisionism. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:21am

Well it beats being bored to tears and still not qualifying as happened most of the time under 2nd generation Mick and under MON and Trap.  If we are not going to qualify at least if we have a go and bring through young players it is something that can be enjoyable. If you were to offer me coming - close 3rd and not qualifying watching sh*t and coming a distance 3rd and seeing decent football and youth given a chance, I would chose the latter.  

We do not have the players to be winning groups or comfortably finishing 2nd.  So it’s tight margins around 3rd and maybe 2nd on a very good run of results.  
That’s all well and good but the hard fact of it is the money is in qualifying you don’t qualify you have less money to bring more or these guys through and appeal to them Vs other sports.

No one will have it on reeling in the years where we played lovely football but lost to Armenia.

Everyone remembers Genoa, Giants Stadium Lille etc!!

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Interesting that there not a load of debate in here about his time being up this time around. 

And some of the teams that he was slaughtered for, e.g. Luxembourg and Azerbaijan are getting results still off teams who would be similar to us (or arguably better) like Slovakia and Turkey. 

If course, those performances were we have lost were not good enough so he can't be absorbed of fault and bad performances should continue to be scrutinised but it was maybe not as absolutely disastrous in reality
Those results were disastrous. Just like the defeat to Armenia is proving disastrous. A bit early for benign revisionism. 
finish on 10 or 7 points not that relevant as we’ll be 3rd either way with 4 points for the mini 3rd place league. For me a win is must as not winning would be as deflating as the defeat to Armenia…. and his position should then be questioned… as it would be repeat of steps forward only to fall backwards.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

That’s all well and good but the hard fact of it is the money is in qualifying you don’t qualify you have less money to bring more or these guys through and appeal to them Vs other sports.

No one will have it on reeling in the years where we played lovely football but lost to Armenia.

Everyone remembers Genoa, Giants Stadium Lille etc!!

But we don’t have the players that we had for Genoa or New York or even for Lille.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:33am

You are comparing apples and oranges. Trap had Robbie Keane so he had an advantage the others didn't- yeah the football wasn't great but we still had a great buzz for Euro 2012. The draw looking back was an horrific one. MON qualified for Euro 2016 where we get out of the group- Brady's goal will live long in the memory. We were one game from world cup qualification where we imposed tactically and to be fair the Danes were a right good side. Mick took us within one goal of automatically qualifying for the Euros. We were always competitive and who knows how he may have fared had he been given the play off. Kenny has had two nations league campaigns where we have picked up one win. His qualification campaign for the Euros was a catastrophe with us out of contention within 3 games.

Now all that said we are playing some good stuff at times. Certainly the first half last night was excellent. Again lost the first two games in this campaign leaving us with so much to do. Personally it wouldn't bother me to see Kenny relieved of his duties. I don't see us qualifying for the Euros if he stays. His record suggests we may even be out of contention early doors. He probably will stay on though so I pray he can get more consistent results because otherwise we will be sitting at home discussing our great possession stats against Armenia and how we ran a couple of teams close whilst sitting 10 points behind again. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

So the old " we do have the players but Mick/MON wont let them play" has now changed to the "we dont have the players"

The team was worse under Mick in 2019 and he had us in contention.

Pretty sure we could field an all Premier League XI in 2019.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

You are comparing apples and oranges. Trap had Robbie Keane so he had an advantage the others didn't- yeah the football wasn't great but we still had a great buzz for Euro 2012. The draw looking back was an horrific one. MON qualified for Euro 2016 where we get out of the group- Brady's goal will live long in the memory. We were one game from world cup qualification where we imposed tactically and to be fair the Danes were a right good side. Mick took us within one goal of automatically qualifying for the Euros. We were always competitive and who knows how he may have fared had he been given the play off. Kenny has had two nations league campaigns where we have picked up one win. His qualification campaign for the Euros was a catastrophe with us out of contention within 3 games.

Now all that said we are playing some good stuff at times. Certainly the first half last night was excellent. Again lost the first two games in this campaign leaving us with so much to do. Personally it wouldn't bother me to see Kenny relieved of his duties. I don't see us qualifying for the Euros if he stays. His record suggests we may even be out of contention early doors. He probably will stay on though so I pray he can get more consistent results because otherwise we will be sitting at home discussing our great possession stats against Armenia and how we ran a couple of teams close whilst sitting 10 points behind again. 

Hard to take you seriously when Kenny has not managed a euros campaign other than one playoff match. 

Edited by Baldrick - 25 Sep 2022 at 11:36am
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 510511512513514 735>
  Share Topic