You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 459460461462463 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Today, I must admit, I just did not see coming. I can't believe the whole Kenny chatter is back on the agenda again. But when you lose to teams like Armenia after seemingly making so much progress it's understandable.

There's an exit clause in kenny's contract, so with 3 games left, what would be considered a sackable offence ... results wise?

Never thought we'd see it coming in this window but there you go.

The target surely would have been a minimum of 7 points across the 4 games.

He talked a lot about winning the group so by that logic it really should be 10, so he has already failed - but lets leave it at 7.

4 points will be enough to save him probably but it shouldn't be. 5 should be the minimum now - no more defeats. Both of those still under the original (likely) target of 7.

I see 2 points as our most likely tally from the 4 games now - 2 home draws and another away defeat. If that happens he has to go.

Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:34pm
Far too early to start talking about sacking him.

The tactical issue of playing 523 vs lower ranked opposition needs to be addressed though.

Azerbaijan at home, Luxembourg away (for the first 60mins until Knight came on for Idah), Lithuania, and today Armenia.
All 4 games we played 2 CMs with 3 strikers ahead. Dominated possession, created lots of little half chances. But if the opposition can weather the pressure they can have a decent counter-attack planned that gets a few bodies up quickly they can play right past our 2 CMs and gain a huge amount of ground very quickly. And then if they they have a player with a good long range shot they can potentially get something.

Those teams now have a clear blueprint of how to effectively play against us.

All our best performances over the last 12 months have utilized an attacking-mid.
-Vs Portugal it was McGrath both games.
-Azerbaijan away 0-3, it was Horgan (subbed for McGrath at half-time)
-Qatar at home 4-0, McGrath again.
-Lux away 0-3, Robbo/Idah/Ogbene started, didn't work, Knight coming on for Idah changed it completely.
-Belgium 2-2, Knight again.

Pretty clearly that 3rd midfielder is crucial for us.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:36pm
Yeah I think he'd just about manage to struggle on with a win and a draw from the three games.

Any less than that - no wins or a win but two more losses - will make it difficult for him to continue I think.

It's clear from their contract hesitation that the FAI already had less confidence in him than much of the support had, even before today. So that limited confidence will be further damaged now.

We'll have a much better idea in a week's time.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:39pm
Yer keep him on as the fans seem to love him . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:02pm
Big Sam on the horizon once again
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Yer keep him on as the fans seem to love him . 

What you saying, Murph? We sack him after that? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 11:51pm
The progress has stuttered a little the last two games, they have been very flat resulting in a bad result. But for all the experts out there, what exactly would you be doing differently from a tactical or personal perspective that would have produced a better showing?
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:08am
Our lack of a real striker is still killing us plain and simple. Dont forget Robbie Keane carried us almost single handed for the guts of 2 decades.
I love beer gardens
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:11am
Two really bad stats, second one is worse
https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1533223299542556672

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:28am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

I'd say it's our worst competitive away result since losing to Cyprus way back in 2006 (with the home defeat against Luxembourg probably our worst ever result in a qualifier).
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:45am

This NL campaign will decide the key question:

Are we more likely or less likely to qualify for the 24 team Euros in 2024 with Kenny at the helm.

Edited by B6 6HE - 05 Jun 2022 at 12:45am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 1:54am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

This NL campaign will decide the key question:

Are we more likely or less likely to qualify for the 24 team Euros in 2024 with Kenny at the helm.

The quality of our players will mostly decide that I think. The horizon would suggest its going to be a tough ask bit could just sneak in
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

I'd say it's our worst competitive away result since losing to Cyprus way back in 2006 (with the home defeat against Luxembourg probably our worst ever result in a qualifier).
Do you remember 1995?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
The Whisperer View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 6:35am
The dust has settled and as i lie in my bed upon a dreary bank holiday weekend I have many questions and issues that need answering.

Stephen Kenny now statistically is far worse than any Irish manager that went before him. In 11 LON games now we have lost 6, scored 2 goals in those games. Routinely lost games to minnows, the same minnows that we previously used to always beat. But now some how it’s deemed some
what acceptable to lose to Luxembourg, Armenia etc etc.. the justification has been wide and varied with the mentally fragile Pro Kenny brigade. For more than a year now people who have had valid questions marks about Kenny and suitability to a top international job have been jeered in the media by the likes of Dan Mcdonell. It was said and suggested that if you don’t ‘see the plan with Kenny ‘ then you should go back to supporting your premier league team. It was as if Stephen Kenny was completely immune from any sort of criticism for the past 18 months. I for one am sick to death of it and the non stop excuses.

It is high time now that a spade be called for exactly what it is. Stephen Kenny now has had 3-4 years with this group and it cannot be argued that it has been anything other than a miserable failure and we have regressed significantly under his tenure. It seems that people are so mentally unable to handle that he isn’t good enough and any criticism as mentioned above is justified by a myriad of excuses. Kenny has tried to implement t more possession based football fair play to him for that but at the end of the day the buck will always stop with the head coach and results alone he should judged on. He is not capable of turning this around and I for one am sick of him.
uibhfaillian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfaillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 7:29am

If the players aren’t playing for him unfortunately his time is up. Hendrick was terrible today and yet he left him on for nearly the whole game. 

Obafemi came on and didn’t try a leg. Robinson was poor, a couple of efforts on goal that looked like token effort, shots at the near post, looked like he couldn’t be bothered with this June glorified “friendly” carry on. Not easy motivating second rate players like those mentioned above when all they want to do is head for the beach as their paid job with their clubs is done for the season. 

I hope Kenny wises up for the next couple of games and gets players on the pitch who will give it 100 percent.  Kenny also needs to ditch those who aren’t giving it 100 percent. They’ll get him sacked. 
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 10:10am
Originally posted by The Whisperer The Whisperer wrote:

The dust has settled and as i lie in my bed upon a dreary bank holiday weekend I have many questions and issues that need answering.

Stephen Kenny now statistically is far worse than any Irish manager that went before him. In 11 LON games now we have lost 6, scored 2 goals in those games. Routinely lost games to minnows, the same minnows that we previously used to always beat. But now some how it’s deemed some
what acceptable to lose to Luxembourg, Armenia etc etc.. the justification has been wide and varied with the mentally fragile Pro Kenny brigade. For more than a year now people who have had valid questions marks about Kenny and suitability to a top international job have been jeered in the media by the likes of Dan Mcdonell. It was said and suggested that if you don’t ‘see the plan with Kenny ‘ then you should go back to supporting your premier league team. It was as if Stephen Kenny was completely immune from any sort of criticism for the past 18 months. I for one am sick to death of it and the non stop excuses.

It is high time now that a spade be called for exactly what it is. Stephen Kenny now has had 3-4 years with this group and it cannot be argued that it has been anything other than a miserable failure and we have regressed significantly under his tenure. It seems that people are so mentally unable to handle that he isn’t good enough and any criticism as mentioned above is justified by a myriad of excuses. Kenny has tried to implement t more possession based football fair play to him for that but at the end of the day the buck will always stop with the head coach and results alone he should judged on. He is not capable of turning this around and I for one am sick of him.
Some good points there . 

Just as a matter of interest there what would your detailed plan for the next few years be? Let us know who you would like to manage ireland going forward ( give us a few examples) . Also what style of play and what players and tactics would you change . 

Edited by Liam Green - 05 Jun 2022 at 10:11am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 10:31am
The fact our improvement coincided with Anthony Barry coming on board and then delivered a performance akin to the early games of Kenny's reign now that he's gone concerns me.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 10:33am
Originally posted by The Whisperer The Whisperer wrote:

He was appointed just over two years ago tbf. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 459460461462463 735>
  Share Topic