You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 455456457458459 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:39pm
Kennys kids reporting he is calling up Sykes. Hopefully he is capping a bunch of players and having a look at a few. I hope to see Ronan too after seeing Sykes otherwise I will be confused.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Kennys kids reporting he is calling up Sykes. Hopefully he is capping a bunch of players and having a look at a few. I hope to see Ronan too after seeing Sykes otherwise I will be confused.

What's to be confused about? Sykes is playing at a higher level, one that Ronan has already struggled at.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:47pm
They're probably not competing for the same position either. Sykes is versatile but I'd expect him to play deeper than Ronan would. No issues if Ronan is also called up though, there's room for both given our current weakness in midfield.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

It might be really good to see something a little more experimental. We know everything we're going to know about Duffy, hourihane, hendrick, mcclean etc 

I'm not suggesting they wouldn't be key players in a competitive game, they definitely would, but these are friendlies and we should maybe look to take advantage of that.

Half agree. Lithuania should see a much changed side, but we need to field our strongest XI vs Belgium. The squad only started to settle in Oct/Nov but there were still some players missing, so Kenny really still hasn't a proper chance at getting his preferred XI playing together much. It's been nearly 5 months since the last games, they need to prep for the Nations League.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

They're probably not competing for the same position either. Sykes is versatile but I'd expect him to play deeper than Ronan would. No issues if Ronan is also called up though, there's room for both given our current weakness in midfield.
yeah its 6/8 vs 8/10 but my thinking was Kilkenny would be ahead Sykes as a 6/8. hard to know until we see the squad 
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 2:42pm
thought he looked half cut on the late late! 
It's not me it's you:-)
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 3:17pm
Looks to have found Barrys replacement anyway. Said in his presser there he would have liked to announce it today but they've a few things to sort out and he will be named in the coming days ahead of these friendlies.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Looks to have found Barrys replacement anyway. Said in his presser there he would have liked to announce it today but they've a few things to sort out and he will be named in the coming days ahead of these friendlies.

Hard to replace but its clear what a top class coach can add. Hopefully its good news.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

thought he looked half cut on the late late! 

You'd want to be when faced with the prospect of having to listen, or god forbid, talk to Tubridy for any length of time.

Edited by Greenie50 - 18 Mar 2022 at 4:11pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 1:12pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

John Eustace named as replacement

I wonder if he went to the same clinic as Anthony Stokes for his hair transplant.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 1:34pm

Seems he was on the same UEFA Pro Licence course as Anthony Barry - I wonder if Barry recommended him to Kenny?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 1:38pm
It's safe to say he's not a hoof ball merchant anyway. Sounds promising. We'll see. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 1:41pm
Interesting appointment, he was the front runner for the Swansea job last year but turned it down due to personal reasons 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Seems he was on the same UEFA Pro Licence course as Anthony Barry - I wonder if Barry recommended him to Kenny?

Possibly, and he was teammates with Hendrick for two seasons at Derby before he had to retire.

QPR also play the same formation as us which is good.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 1:58pm
You can't fault the ambition with these coaching appointments anyway, Kenny's not afraid to go after very promising up and coming coaches, even though the obvious risk is that, like Barry, we may lose Eustace to a bigger role in time.

On first analysis he seems like a very good fit for the position.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It's safe to say he's not a hoof ball merchant anyway. Sounds promising. We'll see. 

Yes, I'm reading that he likes the passing game, not hoof ball - it might have been one of the reasons Kenny went for him.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 2:05pm
Been to a few QPR games this season and things have gone well and truly off the rails now. Getting completely outplayed for 2 months now by virtually every team in the league and Warburton looking like he has lost the plot. 5-3-2 system looking like a disaster that the whole league has figured out and yet there is a refusal to change things up. 

I dont know how much influence Eustace has but if he has any then it's an appointment that has me worried.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 455456457458459 735>
  Share Topic