You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 448449450451452 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:27pm
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Think that is a reasonably fair assessment from Kenny, if anything it's a bit optimistic in my view. Tbf to him, he came across better in that interview than he has previously imo.
Idah Dream!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Think that is a reasonably fair assessment from Kenny, if anything it's a bit optimistic in my view. Tbf to him, he came across better in that interview than he has previously imo.
Yeah, I thought there was a big improvement, he looked relaxed and assured.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 9:59pm
I was very happy to hear him emphasize the importance of players not pulling out of the four game international window in June. 

It looks like he's laying down a marker there and it could be very difficult for anyone to get back in the squad if they pull that stunt without a legitimate reason. 

He even sounded way more composed in the press briefing. Our strong finish to our world cup campaign shouldn't be underestimated. 

If we finish 3rd in this difficult NL group (which is the most likely) then he'll have met expectations and anything above that would have to be seen as a bonus. 

The signs are good lads for a decent 2022 Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 9:57am
Wonder what the FAI criteria for success in the NL be? What would trigger the get-out clause?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 10:11am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Wonder what the FAI criteria for success in the NL be? What would trigger the get-out clause?

3rd would have be minimum given we have Armenia as arguably the weakest 4th seed.

4th would be a disaster and inexcusable tbh. 

It would be extremely harsh and unlikely if he got the sack for finishing in 3rd spot.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 11:02am
Third has to be an absolute minimum given the draw we got. In terms of assessing progression under Kenny I'd say top 2 should be the target but if we end up third after being competitive against SCO/UKR - and hopefully winning at least one of the two home games against them - that would be seen as OK.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Third has to be an absolute minimum given the draw we got. In terms of assessing progression under Kenny I'd say top 2 should be the target but if we end up third after being competitive against SCO/UKR - and hopefully winning at least one of the two home games against them - that would be seen as OK.
Yeah would agree with this tbh. 4th an unmitigated disaster, but top 2 an achievable goal 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 11:44am
Less so about where we end up and more about how we play.
But results are now important so can't discard them.
We gotta be looking to get 10-12 pts overall, in my book, to see good progress and I feel that's achievable but far from guaranteed.

So 6 v Armenia (not guaranteed by any stretch and hopefully they take pts off the others) and a W/D or W/W in the other 4 mathes (or, imagine, 4 draws!).

I agree that first match is huge.

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

We gotta be looking to get 10-12 pts overall, in my book, to see good progress and I feel that's achievable but far from guaranteed.

So 6 v Armenia (not guaranteed by any stretch and hopefully they take pts off the others) and a W/D or W/W in the other 4 mathes (or, imagine, 4 draws!).

Come off it, it's about the results just as much, if not more, than how we play. And you're contradicting yourself if you think it's not about results but "we gotta be looking 10-12 pts overall".

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 18 Dec 2021 at 12:07pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Come off it, it's about the results just as much, if not more, than how we play. And you're contradicting yourself if you think it's not about results but "we gotta be looking 10-12 pts overall".

I literally said results are now important.

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 1:52pm

I literally said results are now important.

Don't know if read that wrong, apologies if so. I was more referring to the less so where we end up and about how we play.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 2:45pm
Not a hope will we get 12 points. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 4:24pm
I’d say 10 would be fantastic but 12 isn’t un realistic.
Beat Armenia twice and one other home win and 3 draws.
Or beat Armenia twice and two home wins.

None of the above unrealistic.

But I think most likely is a 10 points a this could come in numerous ways.

Ultimately even by the end of June we will have a fair idea on what  impact Kenny has had on the squad.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 4:52pm
He has a plan to win the group , lets see 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 5:37pm

Don't know if read that wrong, apologies if so. I was more referring to the less so where we end up and about how we play.

No problem.
What I mean is that we could end up top or 3rd and the difference could be a couple of points.
So in that case I'd not be hand-wringing over the position should we be 3rd and one goal in one game would have put is top.

I feel there'll be points dropped all over the place and it will be tight and once we're in the mix, I'll be happy.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 2:46pm
Stephen Kenny now has the unanimous backing of the FAI board according to the Sun's Neil Cotter, with some even suggesting he could be at the helm for Euro 2028. A new contract should be announced soon.

Kenny's Kids
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Stephen Kenny now has the unanimous backing of the FAI board according to the Sun's Neil Cotter, with some even suggesting he could be at the helm for Euro 2028. A new contract should be announced soon.

Kenny's Kids

2028 - Jaysus that’s some turnaround from a 6 month extension!

Assume it will still be a 2 year contract to 2024 initially.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 448449450451452 735>
  Share Topic