You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444445446447448 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

The fans have a say for sure.
The positivity towards the team and SK for the sold-out Qatar friendly was surely an eye-opener for the FAI brass.
Then follow that up with the home Portugal full-house, huge audible support for SK and the team again, and then an away trip where we did a very good job bullying a previously tricky (shouldn't have been, but was) opponent and the feelings of the fans can't be in doubt.

If we only get an extension for the NL, then the question is - what is the measure of success to be for that campaign?
It's a rhetorical question as we will all have our own based on different criteria.

But for me the biggest issue with such a short extension is the continued scrutiny on the manager's contract, when we should be focusing on the players and the performances.

This. And for those saying Kenny has no power in negotiations, consider the following two headlines. Which makes better reading in the eyes of a potential sponsor? How do the fans feel moving forward? It's time to put an end to the uncertainty and constant bickering imo, it's gone on too long at this stage.

1) Irish Football once again in turmoil as Kenny quits following what he describes as derisory offer from the FAI
2) FAI award new contract to Kenny for Euro 2024 campaign

There is no possibility of him quitting. I don't understand how people even think this is a remote possibility.

If he quits he will have a lengthy spell sitting around earning nothing before the Dundalk job on a probable 150k after Perth leaves. He is on over 500k right now. He isn't getting any gig elsewhere worth even half of what he is on at the moment.

He has no bargaining power because he has nowhere to go. The FAI could offer him 250k and it would still be 100k more than he would get anywhere else. The FAI could offer him 6 months and he will take it because it's the biggest job he has ever had and ever will have.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:53pm
The nations league has turned into a somewhat of a a failsafe for international teams. 

The fact that in years gone by a decision would have been made based on the previous campaign and that was it. I think the board would give him another campaign straight up. If they're going to use the nations League as a failsafe there's no reason why Kenny and his representatives wouldn't insert something for themselves. Negotiations aren't a one way street.

If we finish 2nd I'm guaranteed a new contract. 

If we top the group I'm guaranteed more money or some lucrative bonus going forward.

The fai can't have their cake and eat it. There has to be some downside for them only offering Kenny a short-term contract.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 5:09pm
ultimately top 2 finish in our group in NL he is rocking.
3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

You can go over and back about what ifs and maybes.

He finished the group much better he has us going in the right direction.

But that is coming from a very low point.

He has these 8 games to get a two year contract and who’s know after that.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

The NL doesn't matter. As has been already posted, we're pretty much guaranteed a Euros playoff however it ends up. Again. 

But if it was me, and I was told that I'm only getting a 6 game Euros preparation campaign to prove myself, I would walk. It's effectively a vote of no confidence in him and his team. Imagine Trap or MON or Mick offered the same terms. They would abandon ship asap, and rightly so. He has done enough on and off the pitch to get as far as the next Euros, and he should insist on nothing less than that. 
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

The NL doesn't matter. As has been already posted, we're pretty much guaranteed a Euros playoff however it ends up. Again. 

But if it was me, and I was told that I'm only getting a 6 game Euros preparation campaign to prove myself, I would walk. It's effectively a vote of no confidence in him and his team. Imagine Trap or MON or Mick offered the same terms. They would abandon ship asap, and rightly so. He has done enough on and off the pitch to get as far as the next Euros, and he should insist on nothing less than that. 

If we win one game (yes, just one) in the NL that will be a better result than we've ever had in that competition.. people would do well to remember that before giving it the "top 2 or else" guff
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:20pm

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

We are not guaranteed a playoff however it ends up. If we come third we might not get one. If we come fourth we definitely won't.

MON and Mick would walk on those terms because, unlike Kenny, they would have somewhere else to go and even if they didn't, they are loaded anyway.

Again, Kenny has virtually no bargaining power here. If they offer him 2 years at €500k a year he takes it. If they offer him 8 games for €150k he takes it. He doesn't get to specify new contracts or bonuses or anything else here. Barring a complete low ball offer under €150k p.a. he takes what he's given and the FAI know that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

If we win one game (yes, just one) in the NL that will be a better result than we've ever had in that competition.. people would do well to remember that before giving it the "top 2 or else" guff

The current manager, of course, was in charge for 60% of the games that make that statistic correct.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:24pm

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

Including Kenny I take it?

"In all seriousness, when personally marking out the medium to long term strategy for the team, one of the things we looked at was the Uefa nations league starting in June"

"Our ambition is to win the group. We’ll be taking it extremely seriously by prioritising it."

"That’s the ambition, I felt it’s realistic to do that."
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

We are not guaranteed a playoff however it ends up. If we come third we might not get one. If we come fourth we definitely won't.

MON and Mick would walk on those terms because, unlike Kenny, they would have somewhere else to go and even if they didn't, they are loaded anyway.

Again, Kenny has virtually no bargaining power here. If they offer him 2 years at €500k a year he takes it. If they offer him 8 games for €150k he takes it. He doesn't get to specify new contracts or bonuses or anything else here. Barring a complete low ball offer under €150k p.a. he takes what he's given and the FAI know that.

I'd say he's glad you're not his agent! 

Joking aside, in any contract negotiation there is leverage on both sides, SK could decide to sit on any offer (if it were not to his liking) and run his time down in the hopes that he gets good results in the NL and strengthens his hand.. His contract is until July, he doesn't need to be in any rush at all.. 

Arguably, the FAI are under more external pressure to do something as they can't talk to anyone in the press without the question of a new contract for SK coming up.. for them to regain control of the media narrative, they need to move this story on..  

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

"In all seriousness, when personally marking out the medium to long term strategy for the team, one of the things we looked at was the Uefa nations league starting in June"

"Our ambition is to win the group. We’ll be taking it extremely seriously by prioritising it."

I'm not sure how him saying that changes the fact that just 1 win will make it our best ever NL campaign.. 

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:29pm

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

The current manager, of course, was in charge for 60% of the games that make that statistic correct.

Even without a win, the last NL campaign was our most successful ever... 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:37pm
Look, I agree he should get the 2 years now as I see the Nations League as part of the next campaign. But I just completely disagree with the two notions:

A - That the Nations League is irrelevant, it isn't. We need to be doing well in it.

B - Stephen Kenny has any real sort of bargaining power in negotiations. He doesn't. It's his dream job, he is getting a salary over triple times the amount that he would get in any other job he would realistically be offered. If he were to walk as some people are quite delusionally saying he should, he would be back in the League of Ireland within the year. He is not a manager in demand.

There isn't a slither of a chance that he walks. The FAI set the terms here. They are in complete control. People may not like him but there is a replacement waiting in the wings with a far more impressive CV in Hughton. You can say that would be a backwards move - whatever, that's your opinion. Hughton would be just as likely to attract sponsors as Kenny.

The Hughton move isn't one that I would make right now as I don't see the point in ripping things up when it looks like decent progress is finally being made. But the FAI at least have options. Kenny has none, only to suck it up and take whatever terms he is offered. Thinking otherwise is pie in the sky stuff.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:42pm
Has Hughton ever given any indication he'd even be interested in the job? He was under consideration for the Cardiff job recently enough. He probably still sees his immediate future in club football, and still has a not improbable chance of getting another role as soon as early next year.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

What did he exactly say? If he said it’s his ambition to win the group then whats wrong with that? anyone using that against him is a bit pathetic. If however, if he said we will top the group, then thats different of course and is indeed handing a rod out.
Nothing wrong with that, except if half way through the campaign he suddenly states that the intention was in fact to use the NL to build for the EC. There is form here.
If and/or when that happens then it is the time to call it out, not 7 odd months beforehand as some seem to want to do. 

As for having form, he’s not the first and wont be the last to take on a new job/role and realise all is not as first thought. Yes it would have been a bit wiser to initially say nothing and see first hand when he has a bit of time with the squad himself, but every manager learns lessons no matter how experienced they may or may not be.....as the old saying goes, everyday is a school day......
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I've nothing against Ogbene, he seems a lovely lad but as a footballer he's very limited. 

For ireland he's done OK but he doesn't have the quality required to be in the squad long term.

In the 18 league games he's played for Rotherham this season he's played 90mins 50% of the games (9 games) he came off the bench in 4 games and was subbed off in 5 games (one due to injury)

He has one assist in 18 games at league 1 level, at 25 in May this is his level, he won't compete in the championship.

He's a hard working player but green tinted glasses off guys... he's not the player we need if we want to qualify for tournaments.

LOL Ah would you stop! That's a ridiculous thing to say.

John Egan was down in League 2 & League 1 until he was 23/24.
Hourihane was in League 1 at 24.
McGoldrick was in League 1 at 24/25.
Enda Stevens was floating around in League TWO when he was 26!!

Stats for Rotherham are borderline irrelevant. Ogbene has taken to international football comfortably proving he can compete at a higher level than League1. The discrepancy could easily be down to how Rotherham are using him vs how Ireland are, rather than his ability.

He easily has the physical attributes to compete in the Championship. He's being linked with Blackburn already, & I'm sure plenty others will be sniffing around.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:54pm

Such as where? Nobody else wants them anymore, and the handful that do, get rid asap. Kenny won't walk but if it was me, I would. Anything less than the Euros qualifiers, is basically the FAI saying they don't believe in him and  want him gone. We've put up with 2 years of 20 must-win games or else the sack, the last thing we need is another 6 of them. We need stability right now, giving him the next Euros does that.

The vast majority of League A and B teams will qualify for the Euros directly. That leaves playoffs for the next in line, which includes us. About 40 teams will either qualify directly or get to playoffs, all the way down to League D. So we will be in the mix, although that's no guarantee of qualification. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:27pm

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

3rd on borrowed time
4th cheerio.

I'm not sure how him saying that changes the fact that just 1 win will make it our best ever NL campaign.. 

If we get 1 win in the NL he will be heading for the door
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:37pm

Such as where? Nobody else wants them anymore, and the handful that do, get rid asap. Kenny won't walk but if it was me, I would. Anything less than the Euros qualifiers, is basically the FAI saying they don't believe in him and  want him gone. We've put up with 2 years of 20 must-win games or else the sack, the last thing we need is another 6 of them. We need stability right now, giving him the next Euros does that.

The vast majority of League A and B teams will qualify for the Euros directly. That leaves playoffs for the next in line, which includes us. About 40 teams will either qualify directly or get to playoffs, all the way down to League D. So we will be in the mix, although that's no guarantee of qualification. 

But both McCarthy and MON did find work after Ireland though. They had built up a reputation that saw to that. Kenny has no reputation outside of Ireland so unless a LoI club pulls 250k out of somewhere he won't have any good alternatives to the Ireland job.

By the way your understanding of the playoffs is clearly miles off how they actually work in a number of ways I can't really be arsed going into. But, again, even if all 20 automatic qualifiers came from leagues A and B (they most likely won't), fourth in the NL wouldn't guarantee a playoff. In all likelihood there will be at least one or possibly more teams that come third in League B and miss out. Only a top 2 finish guarantees a playoff this time around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444445446447448 735>
  Share Topic