Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424425426427428 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 9:58am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:00am
It highlights once again the insanity of the Delaney years.  You just have to forget the huge money paid for no good reason to MON, RK, MMC and RK2 and pay SK fairly.  Money is tight.  

You could always build in performance bonuses for the Euros. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:07am
In fairness, performance related pay would only interest managers who are either in the wilderness for years, are inexperienced or are busted dockets.  International management would become the new merry-go-round, and while it would remain a high honour, people need to be well paid to attract them.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Speaking of robbing a wage

If you ever want to know the truth, listen to Noel King and believe the opposite.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:56am
To the people giving all of the credit for our turnaround in form to Anthony Barry, I take it the reason for all of our struggles in the first hour against Luxembourg is also his coaching?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

To the people giving all of the credit for our turnaround in form to Anthony Barry, I take it the reason for all of our struggles in the first hour against Luxembourg is also his coaching?

As it has been said so many times HH the game is about fine margins , if Lux had taken their changes i am sure they would have locked up shop , we would have finished 4th which would have been a shocker for everyone .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

As it has been said so many times HH the game is about fine margins , if Lux had taken their changes i am sure they would have locked up shop , we would have finished 4th which would have been a shocker for everyone .

And had we taken one of our chances against Slovakia we could be European Champions now
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:31am

What club side is going to come in for SK with an offer of 250k or more?

All of our wages are dictated by the market. 

500k salary is a JD move 

We need to getvrid of this JD mindset.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:33am

LOL

You really are raging after that result on Sunday aren't you. 

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

What club side is going to come in for SK with an offer of 250k or more?

All of our wages are dictated by the market. 

500k salary is a JD move 

We need to getvrid of this JD mindset.

If we won our first 4 nations games playing a nice brand of football next June, who is to say a club wouldn't come in for Kenny and Barry next summer? Especially if they were out of contract. 
The Swedish U21 manager just got the Barnsley job. Probably on between 500k and 1m a year you would imagine

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:49am

LOL

Don't be an Ass Denis Embarrassed

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm

LOL

The hell is wrong with people. Why can't some poster just admit they're wrong LOLLOL

Double his salary and give him a 10 year contract Hug
Here we go again
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:21pm

And if the referee hadn't made a plainly wrong decision in both disallowing a perfectly good goal in the Aviva and not giving Connolly a clear penalty in Faro we'd have had 6 points against Portugal. 

Fine margins work both ways.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:30pm
The fine margins argument doesn’t wash with me. It allows people pick and choose what they want to see to justify their own position. It’s a confirmation bias.

The difficult thing for the Kenny sceptics is that they think the ‘facts’ justify them. But there is more to it than that. A results based approach was the metric for the last three managers, and without the results there was little to recommend them. Kenny has only recently started delivering results, but with a lot more going on.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:42pm
For me, no-brainer to give him the new contract. The start was very bad, nobody is disputing that. Considering our player base at the time and the level of change in what we were trying to do, it was always to be expected but i think some of us were taken aback at just how bad it was, with the Luxembourg and Azerbaijan home games a particular low point.

Kenny has started to come into his own in the job and the future for the first time in a long time looks bright. He has completely transformed Hendrick into the player we all knew he could be but showed so rarely. He had the courage to unearth a superstar in Bazunu, when any of our recent managers would almost certainly still be playing Randolph. He plucked Ogbene and McGrath out of left field to become valuable assets for us. He bedded Josh Cullen into the team where he will surely stay for years to come. He has got the best out of Callum Robinson, Matt Doherty, Shane Duffy, John Egan among others. 

Opportunity is starting to meet preparation for this Ireland side. The production line is starting to move again. We have a lot of exciting prospects coming through. Smallbone, Knight, Omobamidele, Elbouzedi, Collins and Kilkenny are the next group of technically accomplished exciting youngsters who will fancy making a first team spot their own, with more coming behind them - Ferguson, Finn Benoa, Ebosele and Zefi are all very exciting talents a couple of years off it who we will hopefully see much more of in the coming years. Add to that the likes of Connolly and Parrott who have not kicked on as hoped just yet but are certainly good enough to come again. 

Kenny has worked with the vast majority of these young lads, they all love him, they all want to play for him. The seniors have completely dispelled the myth they won't play for him, they also back him to the hilt. 

Results will be more important in the next campaign as qualification has to be the aim, but this transitional period was all about getting us used to the new style and bedding in the new-look squad. Michael O'Neill didn't win his first 15 games in charge of the North, but it was valuable work he was doing, and by the time he reaped the benefit, people here were wishing we had a manager like him. They didn't get there without suffering first. We look to have turned that corner and we will only get better and better.

Had we not put him in charge, it's tough to see many of the young lads getting such valuable experience and becoming established members of the squad. We always tended to stick with the old guard, the 'tried and tested' for big games. Now the likes of Bazunu and Cullen to name two are part of that tried and tested and will be confident on the international stage, with more to come. Onwards and upwards. Kenny is the man.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:47pm

LOL

alright Murph what does he have to do to win you over ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

LOL

alright Murph what does he have to do to win you over ?
Change his name 
Change who appointed him
Change his style
Change his wages. 

Pretty straight forward 
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:32pm
The impact that Dean Kiely has had on getting Bazunu in ahead of Randolph cannot be overstated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 424425426427428 735>
  Share Topic