You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Even Kenny's biggest critics in media are starting to change their tune. People like giles and brady who were saying wait to see out the campaign are now saying give him the contract. 

We all know we are not perfect and there have been quite a number of mistakes that could have cost results but on the overall balance, we are playing better football in terms of keeping hold of the ball as far back as I can remember, we are pretty solid at the back with good players, we have good workmanlike midfielders and forwards able to muster up at least a few clear chances per game between each other. This is a big improvement on where we are and it seems its getting better each game as Kenny is fine tuning things....the latest being that maybe Idah is not quite ready but Knight looks like he is an improvement and could be that missing creativity spark between midfielders and forwards that has definitely been one thing that has been missing (the other biggest being a quality finisher).

Bottom line is if you get results the narrative changes. Now some can post that they were right to be patient and maybe they have a right to do that but we haven't won anything yet so to speak and so yes there have been positive displays and results. That is what Kenny is paid to do. Let's hope we can push on now.

Tbf to Kenny we havent won anything ever Smile bar the Iceland Triangular tournament!

We were right to be patient, and patience will continue to be required with 15 lads 25 or under in the squad, some of the senior lads struggling for fitness/first team football and a significant number of youngsters taking their first steps in senior mens football. We are clearly heading in the right direction imo and the lack of quality players in the 23-28 age bracket has been a significant limiting factor in our progress. Kenny has made the brave (plus essential) decision to rebuild the squad and we are starting to see the benefit. Time to unite and get behind the set up, it is an exciting period with a lot of young talent coming through.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:23pm
Your omission of our glorious victory in the inaugural Carling Nations Cup disappoints me.

Somehow that tournament is Seamus Coleman's most recent trophy win in club or international football. His only other silverware was winning the playoffs with Blackpool the year before. He deserved more.

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 Nov 2021 at 3:28pm
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 8:41pm
Well said. Forum is for debate, if we all agreed with eo it wouldn’t be too interesting. Personally I have changed my mind on Kenny mainly because we are good fun to watch now; Kenny has settled on system & team and there’s logic in everything he does eg. The substitution on Sunday, gap between mf and front three, bring in a link man in Knight.

Edited by SeanC - 16 Nov 2021 at 8:42pm
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:37pm

He deserves a crack at the Euro qualifiers now.

But.

Not on 500k. That is way beyond what any club side would offer him.

250k with a generous qualification bonus is all we should be paying.

He is not going to turn that down surely.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

But.

im a big kenny fan but i would agree big time with this… still a massive amount of money plus the honour of leading your country
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

But.

im a big kenny fan but i would agree big time with this… still a massive amount of money plus the honour of leading your country
Same terms as he is on now imo and get spme cash back from Robbie Keane!
Idah Dream!
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

But.

Think he is on 500k now?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:02pm

But.

Think he is on 500k now?
Well, I don't think he deserves a pay cut after all the sh*t he's had to put up with while trying to rebuild the squad. If they want to save money, stop paying robbie Keane!
Idah Dream!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:19pm
Giving him a 50% pay cut wasn’t something I was expecting to read this evening LOLLOL
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:26pm
I agree that 500k is too much for us to be paying any manager but we have spent far more and gotten far less value.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Giving him a 50% pay cut wasn’t something I was expecting to read this evening LOLLOL

500k is more than 15 times the industrial wage.

250k is a huge salary.

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:41pm
I actually do think that's silly money. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

As is every salary in top level professional football! What was mc carthy on?
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:53pm
If there's any spare cash floating around once Robbie Keane is no longer being paid I'd like to see some of it being sent in Anthony Barry's direction to keep him involved - it does seem like his arrival was linked to the improvement in performances and results.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:53pm

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

As is every salary in top level professional football! What was mc carthy on?

The bacon slicer
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

If there's any spare cash floating around once Robbie Keane is no longer being paid I'd like to see some of it being sent in Anthony Barry's direction to keep him involved - it does seem like his arrival was linked to the improvement in performances and results.

Indeed, kenny's decision to sound him out and get him on board was a masterstroke by the manager!
Idah Dream!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:40am

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Indeed, kenny's decision to sound him out and get him on board was a masterstroke by the manager!
This 100%.
AB's appointment also put to bed any doubts the squad may have had over the quality of the coaching staff. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:59am

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

500k is more than 15 times the industrial wage.

250k is a huge salary.

If he is on a poor salary the Kenny naysayers would say “sure he is paid less than all the players in the squad, they wouldn’t have respect for him”…….

Roll over his contract on the terms he is on now. That would work for everyone I’m sure. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 422423424425426 735>
  Share Topic